Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

"This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like, daddeh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oldpainless posted:

No it isn’t and I’m sorry for whatever has happened to make you this way

It's hard to laugh about people being scared of Angry Chris alright?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I am Dusty’s pasty, hairless calves wedged between cutoff jeans and cowboy boots.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sandman McMahon posted:

I am Dusty’s pasty, hairless calves wedged between cutoff jeans and cowboy boots.

Hey, It's an upper body business.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I think that's the PPV where Dusty and the others have a hilarious exchange during a bout between Eddie Guerrero and Konnan. I belive it goes something like Dusty saying "Dat dere Konnan is a real street fighter... HOMIEEEEEEEE!" Then everyone in silence for a few seconds then Dusty again piping up with "DID I SHOCK YOOOOU?!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Quasipox posted:

"This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like, daddeh"

Please don’t post my thanos cosplay

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm relistening to the Death of WCW audiobook and at the start Alvarez mentions some wrestlers vanishing like thieves in he night when WCW was collapsing.

Now I've heard all about how stupid the contracts were but what top guys stayed away and how? I know they all had contracts but I'm sure teh contract stated you had to wrestle and show up if they told you to.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm relistening to the Death of WCW audiobook and at the start Alvarez mentions some wrestlers vanishing like thieves in he night when WCW was collapsing.

Now I've heard all about how stupid the contracts were but what top guys stayed away and how? I know they all had contracts but I'm sure teh contract stated you had to wrestle and show up if they told you to.

A lot of WCW's top guys had a lot of influence on the creative direction of the company, so I believe they'd either write themselves off TV or convince creative to write them out. That way when things continued going south, they could blame everyone else and get big pushes on returning at the expense of others.

At least that's how I imagine he'd mean.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Of course it could just be that they were making assloads of money off WCW even as business was collapsing more and more.

After all, it wasn't just horrible revenues that killed WCW, WCW also spent itself into the grave.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rare Magic card l00k posted:

A lot of WCW's top guys had a lot of influence on the creative direction of the company, so I believe they'd either write themselves off TV or convince creative to write them out. That way when things continued going south, they could blame everyone else and get big pushes on returning at the expense of others.

At least that's how I imagine he'd mean.

they stopped doing house shows, and this was endemic through a lot of the company at the time, to the point where Rey Mysterio was getting heat because he was doing it

while a lot of older wrestlers stopped showing up on TV for most of 2000 that was because the company was starting to cut a lot of them for financial reasons and focus on the cheaper talents like the Natural Born Thrillers who all sucked except for Mark Jindrak who was just super green.

Hennig and Savage were released, DDP and Luger were injured and also trying to get released, Kimberly and Elizabeth got released because of Russo wanting them to wrestle when it wasn't in their contracts, Flair was injured, Hall was Hall, Nash kept on TV for a long time even when creative was empty for him and went into business for himself, Sid was purposefully being held off TV, and Hogan left because he sued the company after Russo called him bald.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Great replies. Thanks for the info.

Not to swerve but mentioning Hall and Sid reminded me of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=340FMdHj24c

1. When was this?
2. Whose reaction is funnier, Nash's or Hall's? I really wish I knew what Nash was thinking there.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Great replies. Thanks for the info.

Not to swerve but mentioning Hall and Sid reminded me of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=340FMdHj24c

1. When was this?
2. Whose reaction is funnier, Nash's or Hall's? I really wish I knew what Nash was thinking there.

November 1999 in the build to Mayhem

that was in Scott Hall's last real run with WCW before he eventually got taken off and fired (he made like one more run in at a PPV in 2000)

probably Nash

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

reading the back issues for observer in 2001 its kinda crazy to see the progress wwfe is making to get the relaunch ready, securing the 2 hour timeslot, picking and choosing which talents to renegotiate and which wwf stars to move over to the WCW side, getting taping dates set up, etc, all of this lined up and in place and thrown out because of a really bad Buff Bagwell match.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

buffs the stuff

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

reading the back issues for observer in 2001 its kinda crazy to see the progress wwfe is making to get the relaunch ready, securing the 2 hour timeslot, picking and choosing which talents to renegotiate and which wwf stars to move over to the WCW side, getting taping dates set up, etc, all of this lined up and in place and thrown out because of a really bad Buff Bagwell match.

The progress hits a bunch of hitches in May. They almost didn't get Booker in time.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Endorph posted:

buffs the stuff

Personally, I just can't get enough

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Buff and Steiner were the last watchable elements of nitro

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

magiccarpet posted:

Buff and Steiner were the last watchable elements of nitro

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Buff showed a LOT of promise in his early years (I just watched one of the '92 Saturday Nights where he's an up and comer and he's pretty drat agile) but he kinda hit a ceiling after the split with Steiner.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i just watched a nitro where buff hit a dropkick and then spent like thirty seconds talking about how awesome his dropkick was and flexing

buff rules

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought Buff was pretty cool as a kid. Now, he reminds me of swing club lifer types. Buff's biggest problem ringwise is his gas tank, which is why he was always running out those moves.

WWE shoulda kept him on the payroll just as a councilor to help teach wrestlers keeping their offtime mayhem on the DL.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like 95% of buffs offense was flexing. The rest was laughing, his exaggerated run/walk into more flexing, and the blockbuster.

He was magnificent

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've probably said this before, but Buff really is the ideal Level One Boss for the NWO.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I loved when Buff was Scott Steiners hype man.

It was the perfect role for him. He got to jump around and be goofy and wear a stupid top hat.

Things we all aspire to,

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I saw very little nitro when it was on but Buff seemed incredibly assholish. The stupid hat, everything was calculated to annoy me. I would have loved if he got more of a run in WWE doing the same thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I used to love Buff as a kid. Between that and Shawn Michaels being my favorite wrestler ever, I guess I should have figured out my sexuality earlier.

Anyway, what JR said about Buff on Legends of Wrestling made him sound like a total loser. I think that was the episode on losers, too. And speaking of "total" losers, they were really unfair to Lex Luger on that episode. Okay, so he couldn't be Hulk Hogan, 99% of wrestlers can't be Hulk Hogan. Plus Vince just booked all his top faces terribly for a few years. (thinking mainly of Lex and Diesel. Maybe he did better with the others, I can't recall too early)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I loved when Buff was Scott Steiners hype man.
What did you think of the bit where Buff came out being led on a leash by Scott, barking. This was supposedly to make fun of Rick.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubMlTCY1ONA

I was at this show and the crowd was just going bonkers during this promo. Amazing that the company would be teetering less than a year later.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Judy Bagwell seemed like a nice lady.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh man I fell into a hole of steiner promos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaOybekzzZA

he's not particularly great at them in the motivational speaking sense but holy poo poo are they ever effective.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is my favorite Steiner video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqT0quOMMBU

My #1 Steiner video is gone now I think but it was called Scott Steiner is the greatest wrestler ever. It too was a compilation and one bit showed Steiner on the ground selling. He sold being hurt by literally saying "OWWWW" and furthermore he said it in the whiniest way imaginable. I miss that.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

It's not my favorite, but it's probably his most iconic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSgluRUE8T4

And, as a bonus, the impressive typography version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This one is great for what happens, for the commentators, and also because I too am not a fan of the University of Oregon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4_qmZPdZcI

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Never forget Steiner almost breaking his neck on a regular basis back when he was doing that cradle moonsault poo poo. Anyway enjoy watching Big Booty Daddy back when he could work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcSF6b5r7IE

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

BubbaGrace posted:

Never forget Steiner almost breaking his neck on a regular basis back when he was doing that cradle moonsault poo poo. Anyway enjoy watching Big Booty Daddy back when he could work.

drat I love the Frankensteiner! Lil’ flippy dude ranas are great too, but they don’t compare to Steiner’s version.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

anyone who lived in the nyc area at the time: is my memory warped or didn't wcw have a 30 minute show on WPIX at like 6am on saturdays? this being somewhere between 95 and 98.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

anyone who lived in the nyc area at the time: is my memory warped or didn't wcw have a 30 minute show on WPIX at like 6am on saturdays? this being somewhere between 95 and 98.

WCW Pro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCW_Pro

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

BubbaGrace posted:

Just imagining a world where Scott Steiner the wrestler and Scott Steiner the performer existed at the same time.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Just imagining a world where Scott Steiner the wrestler and Scott Steiner the performer existed at the same time.

No one man should have all that power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
my second favorite promo of his after steiner math https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOLkYxEdnY