Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
One day the best Final Fantasy, Blue Dragon, will be ported to PC. Until then we'll just have to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Blue Dragon owns. Nothings!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

One day the best Final Fantasy, Blue Dragon, will be ported to PC. Until then we'll just have to wait.

Blue Dragon always struck me as more of a Dragon Quest game.

It's still pretty baller though.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Blue Dragon is Dragon Quest, Lost Odyssey is Final Fantasy, everybody gets something.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

*monotone female voice*: playable

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Saint Freak posted:

I thought the only setup anyone used was Lightning COM / Fang COM / Snow SAB because Snow makes the other two deal double damage.

Or have people broken that game enough to get like sub-10 second turtles or something ridiculous these days?

I preferred the party setup of Australian Lesbian Couple and their adopted son. (Fang/Vanille/Hope)

This did present some awkwardness because of a lack of COMs and SENs (only Fang has them naturally at first) but once you got over that hurdle they worked real well. In particular the RAV action is off the charts between Hope and Vanille and between Fang and Vanille you have all the SAB debuffs in the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Levantine posted:

Blue Dragon always struck me as more of a Dragon Quest game.

It's still pretty baller though.

BD is like a cross of DQ and FFV. I like the blend.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Himuro posted:

BD is like a cross of DQ and FFV. I like the blend.

I don't remember there being a job change system in Blue Dragon. As matter fact I am 90% sure there isn't.

Cattail Prophet posted:

You really should have led with this, it explains so much about your earlier posts. The RPG library on the 3DS is absolutely massive, and even bigger if you consider the DS library it inherited. Even if you decide that 90% of it is trash, there'll still be plenty of stuff worth playing. I'm not even trying to be an rear end here, if you're looking for old school RPGs, handheld is where it's at.

I kind of forgot the 3 DS even exists. Like I said I never was much of a handheld gamer. But that's where all the games are for this genre?

It certainly looks like a lot pop up when I Google it. Guess I'll need to take a deep dive.

Also, I've been replaying Legend of Dragoon. I forgot how much this game was quick-time-events the combat system. Still fun though, but the appeal kind of got drained from so many games using QuickTime events over the last few years.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Veib posted:

Blue Dragon is Dragon Quest, Lost Odyssey is Final Fantasy, everybody gets something.

what is the last story

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

I don't remember there being a job change system in Blue Dragon. As matter fact I am 90% sure there isn't.

There is one. It's pretty central to progress.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Covok posted:

It absolutely does :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Covok posted:

There is, but it doesn't change the characters' costumes so it doesn't really count.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

corn in the bible posted:

It absolutely does :shrug:

Himuro posted:

There is one. It's pretty central to progress.

Bongo Bill posted:

There is, but it doesn't change the characters' costumes so it doesn't really count.

I just looked it up and it does. Guess I just forgot that it did.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish they changed costumes in FFXII International. :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

corn in the bible posted:

I just hope Scarlet Grace really does come out in English, I care way more about SaGa than Final Fantasy anyway

Pretty sure an English translation has been confirmed at this point, I think it was announced last week along with it hitting a bunch of platforms.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Covok posted:

YOu're completely wrong!

In fact its basically FFV's system with less jobs but way more customization thanks to one job whos whole gimmick is "Give you more customization slots"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never got very far in Blue Dragon because it was pretty dull but I remember the enemy that looked like a poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Announce Lost Odyssey 2 you cowards. Also Blue Dragon on switch/pc whichever.

Sakurazuka posted:

I never got very far in Blue Dragon because it was pretty dull but I remember the enemy that looked like a poo

Thats an entire enemy type with dozens of different versions and gimmicks throughout the game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Himuro posted:

International Zodiac Job System was made by Hiroyuki Ito and a couple of programmers since most of the original FFXII team was requisitioned by other development teams. It's still pretty impressive what they pulled.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Himuro posted:

As if there weren't enough reasons to have action paralysis, you have to add fashion to it?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Make Lost Odyssey 2, have the guy who made the short stories in 1 write the entire story.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You should be able to unlock Gabranth's Judge Outfit for Basch

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
e: i'll settle for unlocking some goddamn pants for Fran and Ashe

All I know about Lost Odyssey is that it has a kickin rad final battle theme and the protagonist looks ugly as sin

and that it was a 360 exclusive

would be cool to see it re-released though, I mean, Mass Effect 1 was also a 360 exclusive so who knows.

Covok
May 27, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

You should be able to unlock Gabranth's Judge Outfit for Basch

Every RPG you should give you a Final Fantasy 10-2 creature creator system in New Game Plus so you can play every character.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Himuro posted:

Make Lost Odyssey 2, have the guy who made the short stories in 1 write the entire story.

Agreed.

Sapozhnik posted:

e: i'll settle for unlocking some goddamn pants for Fran and Ashe

All I know about Lost Odyssey is that it has a kickin rad final battle theme and the protagonist looks ugly as sin

and that it was a 360 exclusive

would be cool to see it re-released though, I mean, Mass Effect 1 was also a 360 exclusive so who knows.

MS funded LO, they werent just the publisher like with Mass Effect.

Its mechanically what if FFIX and FFX had a baby, aka a good rear end game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey reminds me of a simple time, when Microsoft cared about games not called Halo or Forza.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Barudak posted:

Agreed.

MS funded LO, they werent just the publisher like with Mass Effect.

Its mechanically what if FFIX and FFX had a baby, aka a good rear end game.

Sakaguchi's lost his sugar daddies and not many publishers are willing to fund a console JRPG these days. If anything, Microsoft paid a fortune for his games and didn't get much out of it in return.

The genre doesn't have the same pull it used to in both Japan and the rest of the world. Most JRPG developers are either targeting a niche audience or modernizing the design of their games so that they're more competitive with Western rivals.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Covok posted:

I don't own a 3DS.

If you have a Switch get Octopath Traveller when it comes out this summer.

If you don't have a Switch you should.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm surprised Sakaguchi hasn't tried to do a kickstarter for a spiritual successor to his greatest game, Rad Racer.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is octopath traveler going to hit any platforms besides switch? That's the kind of retro rpg I'd like to see more of (based on the demo).

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It looks like Nintendo is publishing it, so probably not

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Sunning posted:

Sakaguchi's lost his sugar daddies and not many publishers are willing to fund a console JRPG these days. If anything, Microsoft paid a fortune for his games and didn't get much out of it in return.

The genre doesn't have the same pull it used to in both Japan and the rest of the world. Most JRPG developers are either targeting a niche audience or modernizing the design of their games so that they're more competitive with Western rivals.

Sad state to the genre. If FF16 isn’t command based....:smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
final fantasy is not a genre

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Remember when they remade the opening cutscene of VII on the PS3 and everyone was insanely hyped and Square were like "oh it's just a tech demo why are you all so excited??"

Covok
May 27, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Remember when they remade the opening cutscene of VII on the PS3 and everyone was insanely hyped and Square were like "oh it's just a tech demo why are you all so excited??"

I remember that. I also remember thinking "you do realize that you are leaving money on the table, right?"

I guess they thought it wouldn't matter because they did the same think with FF6 and the PS1, IIRC, and people didn't demand a 3-D port. But, that is also really, really dumb of that not to tell that things might be different this time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tae posted:

final fantasy is not a genre

Yeah, it's a state of mind...

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

The White Dragon posted:

what is the last story

Tales and FF mixed. :v:

I mean, console jrpgs are certainly rarer today but then you have something like Xenoblade 2 that just knocked it outta the park (imo) so it definitely can be done. But it's also true that Monolith soft are Real Life Wizards because these are the same guys who crammed XBC 1 into the N3DS.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Like, Dragon Quest 11 is coming out in the fall. You can say you just want specifically a mainline FF to be your vain specific game type instead of going into hyperbole

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

Like, Dragon Quest 11 is coming out in the fall. You can say you just want specifically a mainline FF to be your vain specific game type instead of going into hyperbole

Jesus, why are goons so overly emotional? Never said FF was a genre or that FF was the only jrpg. Just stated that there’s far less turn based RPGs available than in the past and more games are going after that action rpg buck. My hope is that FF16 will be a command based rpg since it’s relevant to the thread - being name aptly the Final Fantasy Thread. I don’t see what’s wrong with wanting FF16 to have a command based battle system. Yes I am getting Dragon Quest but even DQ at one point tried to go with an action system. Turn (or command based) RPGs are getting fewer and fewer. I see nothing wrong with expressing that and I see no reason for you to be a total bitch about it. No one said the genre is entirely dead and the only flying face first into hyperbole is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you guys don’t cut down on the extreme hyperbole I’ll set myself on fire using an extremely nice Merton.