Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Waroduce posted:

If you're only lifting twice a week I would try to put 2 or 3 days of rest in between each session and try to do compound lifts and total body stuff. I would do something like:

Day 1
Deadlift 4×6 120 second rest
Bench Press either 4x8 60 seconds
Bent over Barbell Row 4x8 60 seconds rest
Standing Military Press or Shoulder Press 4×8 60 seconds
Box Jumps
Secondary arm work, core, whatever
Squat 4x8 90 seconds or 4x6 120 seconds

Day 2
Clean and Press 4x8 or 4x10 120 seconds
Lat pull down 4x8 60 seconds
Close grip pully row 4x8 60 seconds
Incline chest press 4x8 60 seconds
Fly 4x8 60 seconds
Box Jumps
Explosive work, secondary stuff, rotator cuff, whatever you need care and maintenance on.
Squats

Idk if that's optimized for BJJ but it's a maintenance program I use when I play soccer or have to travel for work and will.be only intermittently able to use the gym.

All of these rep ranges aren't really geared towards weight loss. He should be doing functional training and HIIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Oh I missed the weight loss part woopsy

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Why not just do one of the many 5/3/1 variations to mitigate the strength issue and rely on good nutrition, rest, and BJJ for weightloss needs?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Has anyone ever tried training Barbell Hip Thrusts for bridging strength?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3BtHsvE7t0

I do the traditional Starting Strength Squat/Press/Dlift for strength work, but have been wondering if there would be any benefit to adding hip thrusts to help with my bridging on heavier guys.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Not an answer to your question but I recently tried hip thrusts with a secured band as part of PT for a groin strain and they felt really helpful, so I've been trying to add them in at home, but the best method I've found so far involves basically balancing a kettle bell on my pubic bone. So I'm all ears if anyone has tips for hip thrusts form without a bar that will reduce the chance of completely destroying my genitals.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

In 10 days I'm going to be a purple belt!

:getin:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

In 10 days I'm going to be a purple belt!

:getin:

How do you know?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

spb posted:

How do you know?

Coach told me to show up on a particular day (when his coach is going to be in town teaching a seminar), tole me to make sure i'm wearing a gi, then asked what size my belt is, and when I got my blue belt.

Unless I'm getting trolled super hard, all signs point to "BELT PROMOTION DAY."

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

:hai:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Congratulations but also part of me hope that is an epic troll because gently caress, that’d be hilarious...

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Congratulations but also part of me hope that is an epic troll because gently caress, that’d be hilarious...

It's going to be in the back of my mind until the belt is in my hand, but there have been rumors of a belt promotion day for the last 5 months or so.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Make sure to make a stink about the gauntlet :haw:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I kinda hope he's trolling you. Congrats man!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

It's going to be in the back of my mind until the belt is in my hand, but there have been rumors of a belt promotion day for the last 5 months or so.

When I got my purple belt my coach promoted everyone else who was getting a belt in line order and completely skipped me, my heart sank, and then just as everyone was about to walk off (and I was thinking “oh well, gently caress it”) he went “only joking, come here”. BJJ coaches are bastards.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Make sure to make a stink about the gauntlet :haw:

:hai:

We may have a private gauntlet at a friends house. I'm pretty sure that the actual club doesn't condone that sort of behaviour.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drewjitsu posted:

Coach told me to show up on a particular day (when his coach is going to be in town teaching a seminar), tole me to make sure i'm wearing a gi, then asked what size my belt is, and when I got my blue belt.

Watch him give you a new blue belt because your current one is raggity.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It’s a ceremonial stripping of rank

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"You've been a blue belt for half a decade, I'm sorry but you lose a stripe."

":smith:"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

You guys are the best. :smith:

Now to do a bit of shopping for purple no gi stuff...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Might I suggest your blue belt stuff? Throws them off their game when they're in the Purple Division but see a Blue Belt no-gi uniform.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Might I suggest your blue belt stuff? Throws them off their game when they're in the Purple Division but see a Blue Belt no-gi uniform.

Our glorious overlords the IBJJF would never allow such things, it is haraam.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

We do Promotion letters so you know the exact day you are getting your new belt. I know when I got that letter in hand it was a good feeling.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

We do Promotion letters so you know the exact day you are getting your new belt. I know when I got that letter in hand it was a good feeling.

That’s literally the first time I’ve heard of that, what team are with if you don’t mind me asking?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My mom told me I’d get my black belt soon

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I knew I was getting promoted because my coach kept speaking in Korean and would say my name and "waygookin" (foreigner) to one of the two guys who speak English. That guy then asked if I was OK to get promoted in Korea or would my US coach be upset.

Clear giveaway.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Anyone have a gym recommendation in San Jose to train at? I'm gonna be there next Sunday/Monday. Caio Terra doesn't have a class scheduled that I can attend.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

JaySB posted:

Anyone have a gym recommendation in San Jose to train at? I'm gonna be there next Sunday/Monday. Caio Terra doesn't have a class scheduled that I can attend.

I have dropped in to Milton Bastos place http://www.bjjmountainview.com/ a few times while traveling.

Had a great experience. Sort of close to San Jose (20 min if traffic is not poo poo). I'm sure there are 10 diff world class BJJ gyms closer, it's crazy how much jujitsu is in the bay area, but IDK I live in Colorado.

Looks like they are not open Sunday.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spandexcajun posted:

I have dropped in to Milton Bastos place http://www.bjjmountainview.com/ a few times while traveling.

Had a great experience. Sort of close to San Jose (20 min if traffic is not poo poo). I'm sure there are 10 diff world class BJJ gyms closer, it's crazy how much jujitsu is in the bay area, but IDK I live in Colorado.

Looks like they are not open Sunday.

Cool, thanks was looking for a Monday morning class and it looks like he has an 11am. That's gonna work if I'm not too hungover

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How long have you guys waited after a new tattoo to start rolling again?

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

omg chael crash posted:

How long have you guys waited after a new tattoo to start rolling again?

If you’re anything like the group of white belts at my club who got “jiu jitsu for life” tattoos, forever.

Dr. Miracle fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 5, 2018

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Yeah, I have a buddy who got a tattoo when he got his blue and then quit for like 7 years

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Got a friend who has a full body suit and the last part was healed about a week before he was rolling again. Once it's not weeping fluid I think you're good to go.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Caveat - after my last tattoo I was rolling in about 7 days, but then I got the hingworm in it not long after. That was a lame healing session. Tattoo is fine now though.

I'm planning a tattoo for when I get my judo black belt. I don't think that counts as jumping the gun on getting a grappletat.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I plan on getting a piece done this summer/fall and will probably just not go for about 2 weeks or so. Maybe just take the month off so. I'm dumb and get overly cautious about stuff.

Edit - As for grapple tat, I'd only bother with like something that is vaguely related to grappling. Eg. an alligator but also because I'm from FL, or an octopus because I like scuba diving and think they're cool animals etc.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 5, 2018

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Two weeks, keep it covered. Just to stop people bumping into it while it's healing more than anything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Unfunny Poster posted:

I plan on getting a piece done this summer/fall and will probably just not go for about 2 weeks or so. Maybe just take the month off so. I'm dumb and get overly cautious about stuff.

Edit - As for grapple tat, I'd only bother with like something that is vaguely related to grappling. Eg. an alligator but also because I'm from FL, or an octopus because I like scuba diving and think they're cool animals etc.

Oh yeah the planned tat is generally judo-themed but not like Kano's face or the kodokan logo or a black belt as an armband or that sort of thing. I've shown the concept/reference material to two or three friends to positive feedback.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you’re the type of person that uses saniderm or something similar for post-tattoo care, you can roll same day.

Saniderm (i think that’s one of the name brands) is a clear plastic adhesive bandage used primarily on burn victims but is amazing for tattoo healing as well. Basically slap that poo poo on your tattoo right after it’s done and ignore it for 3-5 days. You can do any activity with that bandage on because it’s waterproof and will not budge. Plus the tattoo under it is basically painless and heals up beautifully. After 5 days i pulled off my bandages from my calf and my tattoo was almost entirely healed up. Not tender, no scabbing, no ink sloughing off. Couple of days of lubrication later and it’s the best tattoo recovery I’ve had.

Note i have good deal of ink. This is one of my largest tattoos and behind the knee is the worst pain i’ve had with any, and still this is the best i’ve had of any for recovery.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Oh yeah the planned tat is generally judo-themed but not like Kano's face or the kodokan logo or a black belt as an armband or that sort of thing. I've shown the concept/reference material to two or three friends to positive feedback.

Speaking of Kodokan, I got to go there last summer on a 8 day trip to Japan but they were closed and I had no gi to use to do any of the randori. I want to go back and see about training even if its just 1 class just to say "lol i did this look at me such a dummy" (also I imagine their English instruction there would be better than what I can find in Seoul), though its mainly to see the museum as I didn't know it was shut down on Saturdays :smith:.

One of my Korean teammates loves Judo and has gone to train at Kodokan a few times and got the cherry blossom logo tattoo'd on his ankle. I don't think it looks to try hard and looks like a nice image that has some good judo relevance if you're in the know.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you’re the type of person that uses saniderm or something similar for post-tattoo care, you can roll same day.

Saniderm (i think that’s one of the name brands) is a clear plastic adhesive bandage used primarily on burn victims but is amazing for tattoo healing as well. Basically slap that poo poo on your tattoo right after it’s done and ignore it for 3-5 days. You can do any activity with that bandage on because it’s waterproof and will not budge. Plus the tattoo under it is basically painless and heals up beautifully. After 5 days i pulled off my bandages from my calf and my tattoo was almost entirely healed up. Not tender, no scabbing, no ink sloughing off. Couple of days of lubrication later and it’s the best tattoo recovery I’ve had.

Note i have good deal of ink. This is one of my largest tattoos and behind the knee is the worst pain i’ve had with any, and still this is the best i’ve had of any for recovery.

I got something called Dr. Pickles whatever and my leg piece healed super quick. Like no scabbing or itching at all. Same with my shoulder sak yant I got in Thailand. The cream I got both times are way better than the poo poo I had for my first tattoo. Would highly recommend Dr. Pickles' cream.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The stuff i’m talking about requires zero cream or maintenance. It is an airtight clear bandage. You don’t do anything to your ink for 2-5 days and when you take it off your tattoo is healed. It’ll look gnarly under the bandage because any blood/ink that’s seeped out will be sealed in there, but it looks pristine once it’s off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh that sounds a bit like the cling thing they put on my tattoo in Korea. Wonder if it was the same sort of thing as it had to be on for 1 day minimum.