Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Elder Scrolls and Bethesda Fallout games were pretty good at churning out default bland-to-grotesque characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Main guy in Nier is a weird looking dude

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man celeste was fun, 8 hours 1500 deaths worth of fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Convex posted:

My gestalt dad used a spear

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The thing is even if you put a pretty homely looking person as the protagonist of your game then they’ll naturally begin to seem more attractive in the eyes of your audience because we are conditioned to sympathize with the main character of a story.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

You all were right about DDS2 going buck wild
i wanna say something about it but i don't wanna spoil it

it's so cool tho i need to play it one day

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's also harder to make a less-attractive character than a generically pretty character because things like facial asymmetry and skin imperfections and weird-looking hair and poor-fitting clothes are harder to draw or render

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Convex posted:

Gary Busey the Barbarian

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It's also harder to make a less-attractive character than a generically pretty character because things like facial asymmetry and skin imperfections and weird-looking hair and poor-fitting clothes are harder to draw or render

Just like female protagonists.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

Just like female protagonists.

Well my point wasn't "and this is why we shouldn't have average-looking characters" it was more intended as an explanation of why characters tend to be attractive unless steps are specifically taken to make them uglier, even if the artists didn't set out to make them attractive

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The thing is even if you put a pretty homely looking person as the protagonist of your game then they’ll naturally begin to seem more attractive in the eyes of your audience because we are conditioned to sympathize with the main character of a story.

Maybe every video game in 2019 should have Warren from Life as Strange as the protagonist to see if any devs are talented enough to make people care about him

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm trying to think of "intentionally not conventionally attractive main characters who are still human" but Trevor is all that comes up

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

my fav video game character

not even gonna timg this guy, they're too cool

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's really weird when you get that combined with a character being incredibly concerned about their looks or weight or w/e despite looking the same as everyone else.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Capcom's SFV and MVCI characters are really ugly. But I don't know if that's on purpose or not so it might not count.

Edit: Nos's in Bloodlines

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 2, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

my fav video game character

not even gonna timg this guy, they're too cool

ah yes, that genesis classic rocket knight

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Suery's game hit the goal. good for him

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

when you zoom out far enough from spider-man 2's world, the skybox makes it look like a late 90s fps

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Frank West is one of my favorite average guy character designs. He’s fit but hairy and stocky with a bit of a gut. He’s built like 90s Bruce Campbell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

His walk in DR1 is so strange its endearing how he lurches around everywhere

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So that GranBlue Fantasy game, can't look it up right now but it's just a grindy JRPGish thing with a stamina bar and an F2P shop, right

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Isn't his foot supposed to be broken?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

So that GranBlue Fantasy game, can't look it up right now but it's just a grindy JRPGish thing with a stamina bar and an F2P shop, right

It's a gacha RPG, yeah. Though at this point it's so popular that they do free draw promotions basically all the time (also because most of your power progression in that game is grinding weapon drops instead of character acquisition).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Motto posted:

It's a gacha RPG, yeah. Though at this point it's so popular that they do free draw promotions basically all the time (also because most of your power progression in that game is grinding weapon drops instead of character acquisition).

this is the premise of touken ranbu as well but somehow they managed to put all kinds of pretty boys in it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a granblue action rpg coming out at some point that looks decent

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Motto posted:

Thanks. Shame, the art style is appealing but the gameplay seems relatively nonexistent :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks. Shame, the art style is appealing but the gameplay seems relatively nonexistent :(

That's phone games baby

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Real hurthling! posted:

he's protecting his camera and also he's a goober op

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also he hurt his leg in the intro

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Are there any games where you play a fat person (not counting games with character creators)

I can only think of Borderlands and Wario. I guess Doomguy has a fat face

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was about to say, yall didn't see when he jumped out of the chopper? That was at least the height a flight of stairs drop.

2nd game OTR he's not doing that limp.

https://youtu.be/1qdxvtHTlFw

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 3, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Convex posted:

Are there any games where you play a fat person (not counting games with character creators)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Mystical Ninja.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
How did you forget Adventure Island for NES. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Kirby Dedede

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Convex posted:

Karnov

Street Fighter II

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Convex posted:

How did you think of Wario but not Mario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello onion games, for whom the chulip/little king's story guy works, and also who are the devs of the smash mobile hit Million Onion Hotel and the also good game Dandy Dungeon, are making a game for the Switch and pc called Black Bird. thank you for your time

• Locked thread