Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If thou gaze long into rpgcodex, rpgcodex will also gaze into thee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Whoa what the gently caress did I miss re: dev meltdowns?

Honestly, nothing important.

Game still seems good though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Dev meltdowns are why we don't have review copies

I'm blaming avellone

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Speaking of... have they said anything about an embargo end date, or is it just release day?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm blaming avellone

Pretty sure review copies go up on Friday when they upload the preload for the journos n "influencers" to play over the weekend no?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I should be clear: I was not speaking based on facts

please replace the phrase "review copies" in my prior post with the phrase "nice things", and "don't" with "can't"

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 3, 2018

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Some review copies are already out, but they're under NDA till release.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Oh hey, we are now at 42/55 codes for the scavenger hunt. If you are just checking this thread, be sure to do the scavenger hunt stuff for boat stuff. You won't want to miss out on a stinky pete.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Morning of release day has been the review embargo release for their last few games. Guessing it'll be like 8-9am EST.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Grinning Goblin posted:

Oh hey, we are now at 42/55 codes for the scavenger hunt. If you are just checking this thread, be sure to do the scavenger hunt stuff for boat stuff. You won't want to miss out on a stinky pete.

Heck yeah. Still not enough to get us any further on the map, but still, good effort.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Has there been any sighting of the 'create your world state' thing for those without POE1 saves? My understanding is that it's supposed to be as comprehensive as the imported choices are, with only a few npc differences for an actual import.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Iymarra posted:

Has there been any sighting of the 'create your world state' thing for those without POE1 saves? My understanding is that it's supposed to be as comprehensive as the imported choices are, with only a few npc differences for an actual import.

Yeah
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/966864619900846080

it hidden in the options though apparently, they probably want people to just pick a preset or import and go.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Iymarra posted:

Has there been any sighting of the 'create your world state' thing for those without POE1 saves?
If I remember right, it’ll be part of character creation.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

one of the devs showed it on his stream. It's hidden in the options because you actually have a folder with all your import states, so you don't have the go through the whole save state choice for each new playthrough you roll. You instead make an import state, save it, then you import that state in character creation, then if you reroll Ranger instead of Paladin you can still use the same save state without the 20 minute process of setting options

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I still wish there was a good way to make a character that did both melee and range equally well and had a reason to want to switch. About the only character that I can think of that would bother would be a cipher (since melee does more damage and therefore generates more focus, but is more dangerous for a relatively squishy caster) or maybe a chanter, and even then you typically end up getting gear that leads to you sticking with one by the halfway point. I did a ranger playthrough and got pretty far but once I got stormcaller I knew there was zero reason for me to even give that character a melee weapon anymore and I got kinda bored with the character. About the only "good" way to do the ranged-then-melee thing is just gun alpha strikes then swapping to melee.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

I still wish there was a good way to make a character that did both melee and range equally well and had a reason to want to switch. About the only character that I can think of that would bother would be a cipher (since melee does more damage and therefore generates more focus, but is more dangerous for a relatively squishy caster) or maybe a chanter, and even then you typically end up getting gear that leads to you sticking with one by the halfway point. I did a ranger playthrough and got pretty far but once I got stormcaller I knew there was zero reason for me to even give that character a melee weapon anymore and I got kinda bored with the character. About the only "good" way to do the ranged-then-melee thing is just gun alpha strikes then swapping to melee.
Its a shame that the "pistol in one hand, sword in the other" style that you can use doesn't really have any reason to justify it besides style. There's not really enough of an advantage to doing it to cover the weaknesses, imo. I'm probably missing some decent synergy build that you could do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Whats better gun-wise, Arquebus or pistols akimbo

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

both.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zore posted:

Whats better gun-wise, Arquebus or pistols akimbo

Arquebus weapon set 1, pistols weapon set 2.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat this lady is Sagani except 1000000x better

https://twitter.com/WorldofEternity/status/991761745428533255

look at that bird go

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Your Parents posted:

I really loved dead money. Yes I know it's lonely over here.

Dead Money was the best DLC. OWB was funny but a bitch to play through even with melee.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Ive heard vanilla OWB the enemies get super bullet spongy but i played through with the jsawyer mod and had a fun time.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
rope kid i'm an influencer on something awful dot com can I have the game please

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

frajaq posted:

look at that bird go

As a bird owner, I can confirm that those hops are very accurate.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

? Can't you do weapon swap rogue that alpha strikes with guns (blunderbuss), switches then melees? Shouldn't that do more DPS and be valid as a build as long as you have two sets of equivalent gear?

I think the core complaint is that "wow I got better gear for my melee weapons" which is more a "backer beta is a vertical slice thing," and melee+guns is doubling your gear requirements.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

here's a Discord exclusive code

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ravenfood posted:

Its a shame that the "pistol in one hand, sword in the other" style that you can use doesn't really have any reason to justify it besides style. There's not really enough of an advantage to doing it to cover the weaknesses, imo. I'm probably missing some decent synergy build that you could do.

As I understand it's actually not bad at all, since it counts as dual wielding and, as such, you get the dual wielding bonus to both weapons whether your firing your gun at range or swingin' your sword in melee. With the paucity of full attack actions, sword + gun might actually be better then dual wielding in some circumstances, since you'd be attacking just as fast, but only hitting with your mainhand instead of both hands - meaning, you get just as many attacks as dual wielding, but they're all with your one weapon.

EDIT: Mixing range and melee is absolutely possible. Paladins were the best at it in PoE1, and probably still the best at it; Flames of Devotion is a full attack, meaning if you're double fisting pistols, you smite with both of them, leading to a general smite -> switch kinda deal (or smite -> smite -> switch, or...you get the idea).

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

ProfessorCirno posted:

EDIT: Mixing range and melee is absolutely possible. Paladins were the best at it in PoE1, and probably still the best at it; Flames of Devotion is a full attack, meaning if you're double fisting pistols, you smite with both of them, leading to a general smite -> switch kinda deal (or smite -> smite -> switch, or...you get the idea).

Does damage resistance bypass with guns apply to the elemental resistance though? I thought gun DR bypass only bypassed crush/pierce/slash resistances, and not the elemental resistances burn/corrode which devotion give you, but I could be 100% wrong on this it's been awhile. If you can stack the passive gun bypass with the extra elemental resistance damage that's pretty lethal against pretty much anything that isn't a weird elemental tank enemy. Plus +20% accuracy is generally good. If gun dr penetration doesn't bypass corrode though you should probably be using this strategy with Crossbows.

Urthor fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 3, 2018

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

as far as I know, there's no way to mount optics, like a tactical spyglass or any other attachments for that matter.

a one candle-power candle might have come in useful. bit of a shame.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

frajaq posted:

look at that bird go

All I can think of is the seagulls from Finding Nemo when I watch that, except it's asking "Now?" because it's a fighting birb.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I managed to finish a new play through before Deadfire was released. I was actually a little happy that it got delayed, because I wouldn't have had time to do that otherwise.

It's kind of amazing just how much support this game got post release, not even counting the expansions. I was actually kind of disappointed in the game at launch, but I've replayed it twice now and I've enjoyed it more each time.

I played a priest if Wael, and I was a little bummed that there didn't seem to be any unique dialogue, especially considering you converse with him/her directly twice over the course of the game.

I am bringing that character into the sequel, but I don't think I'm going to continue as a priest. I was playing him as being pretty disillusioned after the big reveal at the end, so I feel like that fits. I'm thinking of going with some sort of dual class rogue. I haven't studied the mechanics much, I don't like planning out my character in advance too much, especially on a first playthrough.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Your Parents posted:

The original game still has pathing so rough that characters will get stuck trying to circle around things and clip their models into a boundary until it starts vibrating while they freeze up and take no actions rather than try walking the other direction
It's Deadfire that I'm concerned about. I just watched this video where the mage walks right into two traps at the start of the fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH9x2BVs5xw&t=1398s

Having to babysit your characters around traps you've already identified seems pointlessly irritating.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

big shout-out to 2house2fly into baiting Avellone to talk more and more :kiss:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Just disarm the trap

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Urthor posted:

? Can't you do weapon swap rogue that alpha strikes with guns (blunderbuss), switches then melees? Shouldn't that do more DPS and be valid as a build as long as you have two sets of equivalent gear?

I think the core complaint is that "wow I got better gear for my melee weapons" which is more a "backer beta is a vertical slice thing," and melee+guns is doubling your gear requirements.

I... don't think you actually read my post, because you basically just repeated the last sentence in my post that you quoted.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Inverness posted:

It's Deadfire that I'm concerned about. I just watched this video where the mage walks right into two traps at the start of the fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH9x2BVs5xw&t=1398s

Having to babysit your characters around traps you've already identified seems pointlessly irritating.

I can't think of a game in this genre I've played that won't happily walk you right into traps even after you've discovered them.

Frankly, I wouldn't miss traps a single bit of they just disappeared from cRPGs altogether.

Edit: I don't really need them in tabletop RPGs either.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just disarm the trap

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The fact enemies can trigger them and there are a few forced movement abilities atleast means they will have more reason to exist than none at all in deadfire.

Also yeah ive never seen traps used as anything other than an alarm system or a big obvious thing where getting through it safely is basically a puzzle in tabletop rpgs, by good gms atleast.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just disarm the trap
In combat I want to hurl a fireball at someone's face, not stop to disarm traps and let the enemies get hits on me. It would be great if my party was intelligent enough not to walk into the giant loving spikes seconds after one of them yells "it's a trap!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The only characters who should be able to avoid traps automatically are all characters in the party who know the exact space that it occupies. Everyone else should be forced to stand still saying, "oh god" and be unable to take any action until the trap is disarmed.

• Locked thread