Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Saitama may be strong, but I don't think he stands a chance against Onesnap-Man.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
He might have a chance, but if in his right hand our hero had a sale catalogue for todays specials, this mighty foe would be dead in an instant.

(How powerful is Thanos in the Marvel universe? I know he's extremely powerful but is he god like?)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

He might have a chance, but if in his right hand our hero had a sale catalogue for todays specials, this mighty foe would be dead in an instant.

(How powerful is Thanos in the Marvel universe? I know he's extremely powerful but is he god like?)

Sometimes. Depends if he has any cosmic artifacts and/or the ThanosCopter.

Considering Captain America was strong enough to keep Thanos from closing his fingers in the films, Saitama wouldn't have much trouble.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

Thanos is to Marvel as Darkseid is to DC

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

He'd lose half the vegetables in his grocery bag and get really steamed about it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Suspicious Lump posted:

Thanos is like hulk level strong in the MU, so Saitama would have no trouble. The real kicker is whether he has the infinity guantlet, which gives him control over all aspects of the universe. So that could be an interesting fight.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I don't think there can be a fight between somebody who wins with one punch and somebody who controls the universe. It just depends on who is fast enough to do their thing first.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Saitama. In one punch. Always.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Billions of Thanoses charge at Saitama like goblins in the Mines of Moria

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He'd break the gauntlet in half before Thanos could do anything with it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Parrotine posted:

Thanos is to Marvel as Darkseid is to DC

By default he is much weaker then Darkseid. But he can get some powerful artifacts that make him near unstoppable.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MonsterEnvy posted:

By default he is much weaker then Darkseid. But he can get some powerful artifacts that make him near unstoppable.

He occupies the same thematic and narrative position as Darkseid.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Thanos has gone toe-to-toe with Galactus and fought him to a standstill, so...

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
American comic narratives being confusing and contradictory?
Well I never.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Avengers spoilers but I don't understand how these supposedly super strong characters in the MCU can die from falling.

It seems to me that if they're that soft then humanity could easily take them on with combined arms and lots of dakka/explosives.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This is basic MMO stuff. Attacks are mitigated by defence stats, fall damage does a percentage of HP.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TheKingslayer posted:

Saitama. In one punch. Always.

yeah it's like how do y'all still not get this

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
it's literally in the name

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
If you'll recall, Boros took several punches. Only one Serious punch, but multiple Regular punches. There are no guarantees when it comes to off-planet threats.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
he was wearing armor

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
If you're gonna say "spoilers", use the spoiler tag maybe?
(Gonna see it next week, I know I know I'm super late)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpacePig posted:

If you'll recall, Boros took several punches. Only one Serious punch, but multiple Regular punches. There are no guarantees when it comes to off-planet threats.

Saitama felt kind of bad for Boros so he gave him a chance

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Unit24 posted:

I don't think there can be a fight between somebody who wins with one punch and somebody who controls the universe. It just depends on who is fast enough to do their thing first.

Too bad for Thanos, he's in the wrong universe!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

If you're gonna say "spoilers", use the spoiler tag maybe?
(Gonna see it next week, I know I know I'm super late)

lol if we live in a world where watching a film 3 weeks later is "super late"

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Saitama always has the trait of gag character. It'd be the same result if Thanos fought Arale, or Squirrel Girl.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Saitama is faster.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He occupies the same thematic and narrative position as Darkseid.
They look similar but are pretty different character, and narrative wise. Though creators are currently making Darkseid more like Thanos, in a move I am not super fond of.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Thanos has gone toe-to-toe with Galactus and fought him to a standstill, so...

When he has cheat items. Normally he is weaker.

AtheistMantis posted:

Saitama always has the trait of gag character. It'd be the same result if Thanos fought Arale, or Squirrel Girl.

Thanos did the later already.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 4, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Spoiler.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AtheistMantis posted:

Yeah, the real question is, what about One Punch Man vs Squirrel Girl.

To which, the correct answer is, whatever is funniest, as is the wont of gag characters. Probably neither or both, somehow

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saitama never tries to fight Squirrel Girl herself, getting too annoyed by her squirrel and trying (and failing) to get it much like he did with the mosquito, while Squirrel Girl does something amusing that doesn't actually hurt Saitama, whether or not she's trying to. Or she gets a non-combat "victory" by having squirrels eat his groceries while he's distracted or something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Squirrel Girl derives humor from winning and Saitama derives comedy from getting dunked on, so it's obvious how that one would go.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Proves that Caped Baldy was stealing credit from other hardworking heroes like King.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Squirrel Girl runs into King at an arcade

She's still recovering from the encounter

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Their 'fight' would be struggling over the last packet of discount nuts. It would end with the grocery store destroyed and both of them banned.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bongo Bill posted:

Squirrel Girl derives humor from winning and Saitama derives comedy from getting dunked on, so it's obvious how that one would go.

Yeah, my thoughts were similar; Saitama getting frustrated/humiliated is much funnier than him inflicting horrible violence upon animals, so while Squirrel Girl might not "win" exactly, she'd probably come out better off, relatively speaking.

Or, yeah, like the above, a silly non-fight that likely ends poorly for both.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Elfface posted:

Their 'fight' would be struggling over the last packet of discount nuts. It would end with the grocery store destroyed and both of them banned.

Yeah but squirrel girl would still get the discount nuts somehow

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm fairly sure the Kate Leth version of Squirrel Girl counts as a monster, so he'd punch her to pieces.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It makes more sense for Squirrel Girl to win because her character's joke is defeating much more powerful enemies and Saitama is a lot more powerful than her.

It doesn't make sense for Saitama to lose because he's a character whose joke is that he can't lose.

They can't fight, Squirrel Girl would as other said probably win through doing something better the same way as King. Maybe she'd save more people in a city and be promoted higher than Saitama, maybe her squirrel army would defeat the enemy monster offscreen after Saitama takes a kick to the moon/somewhere far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

ChronoReverse posted:

Avengers spoilers but I don't understand how these supposedly super strong characters in the MCU can die from falling.

It seems to me that if they're that soft then humanity could easily take them on with combined arms and lots of dakka/explosives.

MCU films don't like to do environmental secondary effects, so they don't seem be that strong. Onepunch-man may be a joke manga, but the big hits make massive shockwaves and shatter the surrounding environment in addition to their actual target. Really fast moves create sonic shock-waves from speed alone, but that never happens in the MCU. Film Hulk can punch Thanos five times without breaking a single metal wall or structural beam. You need those secondary effects to sell impossibly superhuman speed and strength.

Just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqq7KHKRhmU. Only the final hit produces a real shockwave. They barely affect the background at all. Murata would have had them chew up the scenery with every blow. Even the Saitama VS Sonic fight has Sonic produce little dust clouds with every move from speed alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGoU4OP-IKg.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 4, 2018