Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Waroduce posted:

so what the gently caress ya'll think I should ask for

e: I also host a series of discovery meetings with the client, create and document client processes to build into the software, build it into the software, train client on how to use software and troubleshoot post go live

Product Owner?
the person who does all that stuff at my company has Buisness Analyst as their title but i think that's a poo poo title

Waroduce posted:

Rails was hot as gently caress like 5-7 years ago and a C-level exec of Ultimate Software advised that I learn to code it because it's going to be super in demand for a while and it would get me loving paid and they couldn't find enough devs to use it and no one was writing in it. He told me this over several expensive whiskeys and cigars in a cigar bar in Weston Florida while i tried to sell him copiers. god bless that man. .

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

qhat posted:

Consider it a shot on goal. You're doing something right if you're even getting to that stage and it's just a matter of time before you get lucky.

just for more context, the farthest I got in the hiring processes were for american companies hiring remote. which is interesting because I sent way less resumes for companies like these but the feedback was way more promising, even if realistically speaking I was biting way more than I could chew.

the local companies I'm getting absolutely nothing, I got a few interviews with HR but didn't even made to the technical ones. those interviews felt more like they did them just to fill a quota.

I don't think I'm worthless nor I'm legitimizing the process, I'm just not feeling anymore like this is a job market that it's in my reach.

on a more positive note: maybe I'll limit myself to foreign job ads idk

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you're not even getting past HR in jobs that theoretically up your alley then maybe there's a sticking point in your resume, like maybe you're not selling yourself hard enough. It takes a long time of trial and error to perfect a resume. But idk.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
welp, found out that the group who ghosted me wound up hiring someone else on my team :smith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

just for more context, the farthest I got in the hiring processes were for american companies hiring remote. which is interesting because I sent way less resumes for companies like these but the feedback was way more promising, even if realistically speaking I was biting way more than I could chew.

remote is poo poo

Symbolic Butt posted:

the local companies I'm getting absolutely nothing, I got a few interviews with HR but didn't even made to the technical ones. those interviews felt more like they did them just to fill a quota.

I don't think I'm worthless nor I'm legitimizing the process, I'm just not feeling anymore like this is a job market that it's in my reach.

it's possible that your local job market sucks.

it may have nothing to do with you at all!

Symbolic Butt posted:

on a more positive note: maybe I'll limit myself to foreign job ads idk

why on earth would someone fly you across the world and go through elaborate visa processes to get you residency?

i am not being snide. it's just a question you need to ask yourself. what is the point for my employer?

if you live in canada, looking at u.s. jobs, there's good reason -- it's very easy to get a nafta visa. the same is not true for, say, living in the u.s., looking at u.k. jobs.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

remote can be rough but it’s the only way i’m getting a decent salary so i’ll give it another go.

got what has to be a final interview today, hoping an offer is imminent. company seems real cool.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

remote can be rough but it’s the only way i’m getting a decent salary so i’ll give it another go.

i would think about this long and hard, especially if you are at the beginning of your career. remote is a big ole poo poo sandwich, and the poo poo's piled deeper for younger, less senior staff

the biggest blow is that you lose most of your learning opportunities, right off the bat. you will understand less of the political situation, you will learn less about the technology, you will pick up fewer new techniques from your coworkers

you are forever excluded from all the good stuff that happens in an office

as a junior staffer, you are selling your future self short, because your present-day experience will build less skill for the rest of your career

--

the next biggest blow is that remote staff are easy to fire. as already mentioned, you will know less about the political situation than folks at hq. additionally, remote staff deliver less than local staff -- they just cost more to get less. you are basically an outsourced employee in india, except, you cost 10x as much.

this is especially bad for all-remote companies -- basically the executives and their cronies are "hq," and you can't even visit hq, because it happens entirely in their private chat rooms and conference calls.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why on earth would someone fly you across the world and go through elaborate visa processes to get you residency?

i am not being snide. it's just a question you need to ask yourself. what is the point for my employer?

if you live in canada, looking at u.s. jobs, there's good reason -- it's very easy to get a nafta visa. the same is not true for, say, living in the u.s., looking at u.k. jobs.

I meant just remote, I definitely don't have any pretensions like that

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i would think about this long and hard, especially if you are at the beginning of your career. remote is a big ole poo poo sandwich, and the poo poo's piled deeper for younger, less senior staff

the biggest blow is that you lose most of your learning opportunities, right off the bat. you will understand less of the political situation, you will learn less about the technology, you will pick up fewer new techniques from your coworkers

as a junior staffer, you are selling your future self short, because your present-day experience will build less skill for the rest of your career

--

the next biggest blow is that remote staff are easy to fire. as already mentioned, you will know less about the political situation than folks at hq. additionally, remote staff deliver less than local staff -- they just cost more to get less. you are basically an outsourced employee in india, except, you cost 10x as much.

this is especially bad for all-remote companies -- basically the executives and their cronies are "hq," and you can't even visit hq, because it happens entirely in their private chat rooms and conference calls.

hm. i've been at this for five-ish years, so not exactly at the beginning but i wouldn't say i'm an old hand or anything.

man, i just want a decent local job market that doesn't require living in vancouver or toronto. :canada:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

--

what's your opinion on remote work if you're in consulting? currently half of my jobs have me flying out to work face-to-face with the client and the other half are totally remote. my company is pretty proactive on flying everyone out to an office at least once a year for a party so everyone gets face time and so far i've been pretty happy with this gig.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Seconding (or whatever) the opinion that remote work sucks. Don't under estimate the importance of getting lunch with the team, after work beers, etc. Not only is it good to make personal relationships with your peers and possibly higher-ups, but these outings inevitably talk about work, and its a good time to shine especially if you're more junior (maybe you're not invited to the big design meeting, but you can always bring up ideas informally)

Also theres just the quality of life... I worked remote for about a year and found it incredibly isolating. Just getting out of the house and talking to people is important, even if you have a big network of family and friends. A lot of my friends and former coworkers that are still working remote have similar opinions: they never leave their house anymore.

Maybe you don't mind that, but I hated it.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Rex-Goliath posted:

what's your opinion on remote work if you're in consulting?

It's easier to look for a better job when you're in that situation, I suppose.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

what's your opinion on remote work if you're in consulting? currently half of my jobs have me flying out to work face-to-face with the client and the other half are totally remote. my company is pretty proactive on flying everyone out to an office at least once a year for a party so everyone gets face time and so far i've been pretty happy with this gig.

the risks wrt learning are still present

the risks wrt politics are entirely absent. as a consultant, only two numbers matter: your billings, and your billable ratio. you never, ever wonder where you stand with hq if you know those numbers are good.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

hm. i've been at this for five-ish years, so not exactly at the beginning but i wouldn't say i'm an old hand or anything.

this is the stage of your career where you build the most value. where mentoring becomes most essential to your progress. you can't just crack a book and hit it, because you are moving onto the higher-level skills: how to navigate a political environment, where to apply pressure, which exercises are worth the business' time and money

jony neuemonic posted:

man, i just want a decent local job market that doesn't require living in vancouver or toronto. :canada:

no doubt you do want that, but wishing don't make it so

there are some very hard choices in your future :smith:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

eh, i managed to get out of php hell. i’ll figure this out too.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jony neuemonic posted:

eh, i managed to get out of php hell. i’ll figure this out too.

you can do basically anything then

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Woo just found out I got the PO Role and a decent raise to go along with it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
All-company meeting, bonuses and raises coming on Friday. :ohdear:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

TerminalRaptor posted:

Woo just found out I got the PO Role and a decent raise to go along with it.

congrats! :yotj:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

turns out i won’t have to make any decisions because i just died in front of a whiteboard.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

qhat posted:

I remember spending 6 months solidly applying for jobs and I never got any offers in that time, so yeah it would be accurate to say I felt pretty worthless even though I was still solving complex problems in that time. Then when I finally got an offer and saw the internal state of that company, my mindset changed from "I'm worth way less that I thought" to "holy loving poo poo no, I was right all along how did these people even get their jobs".

Good at getting/keeping job != ANYTHING to do with being a good programmer or decent person at all.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I think I have a job offer pending references.

I might even have another at a nonprofit that does good stuff (water resources)

If I get one I'm probably canceling on the trip to DC, not because I'm petulant, but going thousands of miles for a maybe is dumb and interviewing is killing me.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Space Whale posted:

I think I have a job offer pending references.

I might even have another at a nonprofit that does good stuff (water resources)

If I get one I'm probably canceling on the trip to DC, not because I'm petulant, but going thousands of miles for a maybe is dumb and interviewing is killing me.

this is a terrible attitude

i know job seeking sucks, but getting multiple offers to land at the same time is how you do it
  • it's the only way other than luck to find a good job that doesn't suck your skull out through your ear-holes, because you aren't desperate and you can weigh them against one another on an honest basis

• multiple offers give you leverage in salary negotiations with whichever job looks nicest. you may not actually be willing to walk away in favor of another offer, but they don't know that

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Waroduce posted:

The area I need assistance and advice on is title for my role. I discussed my role in an earlier post (quoted below bolded most relevant) and mentioned I would like a title change and some new loving business cards. Considering the advice I received earlier in the thread I asked immediately for Product Manager (former sales, I'm a big believer in asking for everything and making someone say no. Shoot your shot etc etc) and he shot it down pretty hard. Not because it's not an appropriate or doesn't describe what I do but because more senior people have asked for and have not been given it, and the CEO has made a decision that he does not want to use that title in the corporate structure. My COO said that I could come up with something else to ask for and he would consider anything but Product Manager is out. He suggested something like "Product Analyst" if I really wanted something like that as well as "Enterprise Implementation Manager", "CRM Implementation Manager" or well anything but Product Manager

so what the gently caress ya'll think I should ask for.

Head of Technology Delivery

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

qhat posted:

It's a real kick in the teeth to get rejected because your interviewer is an objective idiot, but just remember that if they did give you an offer, you'd actually have to work with this imbecile every single day.

Earlier in the thread (and I couldn't find it, I did look though), someone said "Don't work for people you don't respect. Best case scenario is you regret it."

Don't work for people you don't respect, they'll make you do things you won't respect yourself for having done.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

got an email thanking me for interviewing and wishing me the best of luck in my job search even though my interview was scheduled for next week (thanks State of Maine :arghfist:)
im kind of expecting this from the other 2 places that i'm supposed to have interviews at "in the next week"

oh well, Facebook interview coming up and also a few interviews for other government jobs that hopefully won't leave me hanging again

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaman Linavi posted:

got an email thanking me for interviewing and wishing me the best of luck in my job search even though my interview was scheduled for next week (thanks State of Maine :arghfist:)

:stare:

That beats my record of getting called in on very short notice by a very exited HR drone, interviewing at Fiserv (out in Brookfield) and getting a rejection email by the time I got home (by Lake Michigan, like 20 freeway miles?)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

--

The stuff you're describing is really the experience of someone who is the only remote employee in a team.

If you are working on an actual remote team (with more than half of the employees also being remote), then you are not losing on chances to learn, you're probably getting more of them: technical discussions and decisions are likely all discussed and documented through some long-standing medium, whether through mailing list archives, issues, or whatever. Frankly, a good distributed team can operate a bit like an open source project would.

What's interesting is that instead of only being part of interesting discussions if you happen to be at the right lunch table or watercooler, you can just subscribe to about anything and go learn about whatever you want. I've found office work to be drastically less prone to knowledge sharing because you tend to get far more restricted in terms of scope of what you can get.

ADINSX posted:

Seconding (or whatever) the opinion that remote work sucks. Don't under estimate the importance of getting lunch with the team, after work beers, etc. Not only is it good to make personal relationships with your peers and possibly higher-ups, but these outings inevitably talk about work, and its a good time to shine especially if you're more junior (maybe you're not invited to the big design meeting, but you can always bring up ideas informally)

Also theres just the quality of life... I worked remote for about a year and found it incredibly isolating. Just getting out of the house and talking to people is important, even if you have a big network of family and friends. A lot of my friends and former coworkers that are still working remote have similar opinions: they never leave their house anymore.

Maybe you don't mind that, but I hated it.

That definitely depends on personality, I find. I also think it's kinda bullshit if you have to hang out with people after work to talk about work in order to be good about work. I'd just get out of there and go for a place where coworkers can talk about something else than work when away from there.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

MononcQc posted:

That definitely depends on personality, I find. I also think it's kinda bullshit if you have to hang out with people after work to talk about work in order to be good about work. I'd just get out of there and go for a place where coworkers can talk about something else than work when away from there.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Happy hour isn't all about work, but being that work is the only thing everyone is guaranteed to have in common, it comes up.

I do agree that things can be different if the team is fully remote, thats a good point.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ADINSX posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Happy hour isn't all about work, but being that work is the only thing everyone is guaranteed to have in common, it comes up.

I do agree that things can be different if the team is fully remote, thats a good point.

i'm gonna clue you in on this one weird trick that makes after-hours engagements with workers great

i learned it when i went to a house party hosted by one of my clients at my old job

"the rule is simple: if you mention work in any capacity you take a shot"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm gonna clue you in on this one weird trick that makes after-hours engagements with workers great

i learned it when i went to a house party hosted by one of my clients at my old job

"the rule is simple: if you mention work in any capacity you take a shot"

It seems this policy might create increasingly-perverse incentives as the night progressed?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Socializing with your peers is the oil that makes the engine run smoothly. I can't count the number of times a junior engineer who never involved themselves with socials comes up asking for help all fidgety and nervous because they literally have no idea who I am. You don't have to be their best friend, but at least knowing they're not a robot rear end in a top hat helps get things done.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

It seems this policy might create increasingly-perverse incentives as the night progressed?

It was a house party so yeah

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Head of Technology Delivery

I guess this is kind of sexy and makes it sound like I run multiple entities instead of 5 people

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i don't think this company's idea of what the important qualities of a software dev are align with my own
and there were 30 pages of questions like this

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaman Linavi posted:

i don't think this company's idea of what the important qualities of a software dev are align with my own

Rofl.

qhat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 3, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"if they really want this job they'll walk around this conference room on all fours barking like a dog when i tell them to"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Shaman Linavi posted:

holy :redflag:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaman Linavi posted:

This sort of "Obviously blatant psychological testing but somehow technically not because :fsmug:" poo poo really really pisses me off.