Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it did have the best ending though, omar singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everybody.

Fallout is actually nothing but Deacon. Every single character? Deacon. The super mutants? Also deacon. Gigantic scorpions? Guess what? They're also Deacon. That metal shack over there? You bet your rear end it's Deacon.

He is truly the embodiment of the Master's plan

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

He is truly the embodiment of the Master's plan

You mean Deacon's master plan. :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wolfsheim posted:

Deacon is also the only person in F4 to directly reference House, and they both wear sunglasses that they never take off...

The real question is, who else is Deacon :tinfoil:

If/When Fallout 5 comes out i really hope Deacon ends up leaving the railroad and traveling to wherever the new game is set. Once there he'll just keep popping up in random places, each time as a new character in a different disguise. If your character has a high enough intelligence stat you can point out that he's a guy you've seen many times before, but no one else in game will ever believe you.

Basically I want Deacon to be to Fallout what Roger is to American Dad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Halser posted:

fire rate in semi auto weapons is a mess because of the way inputs are buffered and detected. If you just click as fast as you can, a ton of those clicks won't be registered at all. That makes the firerate random, annoying as hell.

It's the same poo poo that causes lever action weapons to randomly not fire at all, and then randomly fire two/three shots almost instantly without any input whatsoever.

I seem to have avoided this problem by playing on the 360. Trigger pulls are different than clicks, apparently. Maybe try playing with a controller? They're way better than what existed in the 90's now...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If/When Fallout 5 comes out i really hope Deacon ends up leaving the railroad and traveling to wherever the new game is set. Once there he'll just keep popping up in random places, each time as a new character in a different disguise. If your character has a high enough intelligence stat you can point out that he's a guy you've seen many times before, but no one else in game will ever believe you.

This would be great.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He's a chicken, I tell you, he's a giant chicken!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

how does anyone fight things in new vegas without VATS is beyond me

if anything, I might just install F4 just to see this whole new decent shooty experience (and ignore the story)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Modded to hell new Vegas, and being a sniper made fighting ok. As does melee/unarmed builds. Though yeah it’s still not good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Deacon as the fallout equivalent of Maiq the Liar. Joins a holy trinity with the mysterious stranger and Lady luck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Let's talk about how lovely the forced final faction conflict element is for Fallout's writing and design.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Let's talk about how lovely the forced final faction conflict element is for Fallout's writing and design.

Minutemen just have to kill the institute, no random other conflicts required!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

dead comedy forums posted:

if anything, I might just install F4 just to see this whole new decent shooty experience (and ignore the story)

If you have the opportunity to play Fallout 4 in VR, you should do so. The story is what it is, but I'm having an absolute blast "being" in the capital wasteland.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Azhais posted:

Minutemen just have to kill the institute, no random other conflicts required!

You also have to blow up the Prydwen iirc

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Well, it helps if the distance from you to your target is less than 5 feet or more than 100 yards. Anything in between is a crapshoot.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

See, I can't believe anyone would willingly use VATS. The last thing I want is combat lasting even longer.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
It's very useful if you are playing an mad bomber character and you are poo poo at aiming with grenades.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

corn in the bible posted:

they sort of bring it up later that maybe that'd be a good idea, but that involves talking to preston and who does that voluntarily?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Hank Morgan posted:

It's very useful if you are playing an mad bomber character and you are poo poo at aiming with grenades.

It also grants you some degree of invincibility while all the animations are playing so if you are about to get hit with a nuke or someone has lobbed a grenade at your feet or you are just taking a lot of fire and need some breathing room it can help you out.

The down side also being that you have zero control while all this is going on so if the sequence ends right as a mini-nuke is 2 inches from your face or you're about to eat a rocket you're pretty screwed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It also grants you some degree of invincibility while all the animations are playing so if you are about to get hit with a nuke or someone has lobbed a grenade at your feet or you are just taking a lot of fire and need some breathing room it can help you out.

The down side also being that you have zero control while all this is going on so if the sequence ends right as a mini-nuke is 2 inches from your face or you're about to eat a rocket you're pretty screwed.

not to mention with vats you can just crit all the things and finish fights faster than doing it manually anyway (assuming you've invested in grim reaper's sprint and friends)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

corn in the bible posted:

Only if you're on bad terms with the brotherhood. If you just ignore them then you can just blow up the institute and be done.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Minutemen are really the best ending, they just wanna kill raiders.

Railroad is just "synths > all" to a comic degree, I'm pretty convinced the railroad would murder all the minutemen for trash talking a synth one time and would happily let the commonwealth burn. Institute is basically Dr Moreau and the Brotherhood has become the Humanis policlub.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Azhais posted:

not to mention with vats you can just crit all the things and finish fights faster than doing it manually anyway (assuming you've invested in grim reaper's sprint and friends)

If you’ve got project Nevada, the bullet time feature it adds also uses grim reapers sprint which is real fun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I appreciate how the different major factions in NV were all remarkably well fleshed out with ideologies that were at least inferred, and with clear incompatibilities that would result in conflict. On top of that, the major factions served a broader metaphor that worked together to present a thesis and binding set of ideas that were then presented in the final battle. Some aspects of the storyline missions to eradicate other groups still felt forced, but they were largely understandable.

Fallout 4 can't even make its faction leaders make sense in their own terms. It makes 3 look like a work of art, simply for being less ambitious and thus failing less hard.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's been a long time since I used VATS in a 3D Fallout game, but I recall the biggest problem I had with it was I always had to do the correct number of shots in VATS (2 I think). If I only did 1 or 3 then the game would stay in VATS mode far longer after I had fired, and all the enemies would run up to me in slo mo and beat the poo poo out of me and I most definitely did not have any degree of invincibility. After awhile the only thing I ever used VATS for was shooting the wings off Cazadors because those things were impossible to hit manually but always had a pretty high percentage for whatever reason. Also I installed Project Nevada and used my AP for bullet time as God intended.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If you hit tab or escape (one or the other, I can't remember) it will immediately cancel VATS and give control back to you. Helpful for when it gets stuck in vanity cam for whatever reason.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Brotherhood of Steel in FO4 are great if only because it makes it really easy to role play as a Space Marine. Synths? Necrons. Super Mutants? Orks. Ghouls? Mutants. Raiders? Chaos cultists. Gunners? Traitor Guard. Minute Men? Also traitor guard. Put the "explosive" legendary on all your ballistic weapons and they're bolters. Cleanse the wasteland for the emperor!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
how many male voice actors are there in New Vegas? After +100 hours I realize one dude voices like 80% of the male NPC population with comically little degrees of variation. I've heard that voice in countless different places too.

also after playing FO4 for so long, I forgot what its like to play an interesting fallout game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

buglord posted:

how many male voice actors are there in New Vegas? After +100 hours I realize one dude voices like 80% of the male NPC population with comically little degrees of variation. I've heard that voice in countless different places too.

also after playing FO4 for so long, I forgot what its like to play an interesting fallout game.

A quick look at IMDB says 66 male voice actors. I think the largest number for one person is Emerson Brooks:

quote:

General Lee Oliver / Major Polatli / Ambassador Dennis Crocker / Ranger Andy / 10 of Spades / Jean-Baptiste Cutting / McMurphy / Eddie / Sammy Wins / Tyrone / Bryce Anders / Romanowski / Corporal Sterling / Sergeant McCredie / Lieutenant Monroe / Doctor Alex Richards / Sergeant Kilborn / Jules / Daniel Wyand / Dermot / Frank Weathers / Gourd / Private Jeremy Watson / Johnny / Logan / Ranger Milo / Marco / Private Reynolds / Ranger Stevens / Troike / Boomer Chef / Boomer Guard / Caravaneer / Crazed Chem Addict / Crucified Trooper / Escaped Convict / Gambler / Great Khan / Gomorrah Entrance Guard / Goodsprings Settler / Gunderson Hired Hand / Injured Trooper / Jackal Gang Member / Mercenary / NCR Engineer / NCR Heavy Trooper / NCR Military Police / NCR Ranger / NCR Recruit / NCR Trooper / NCR Trooper MP / NCR Veteran Ranger / New Vegas Citizen / North Vegas Resident / Novac Settler / Omerta Thug / Outer Vegas Defender / Powder Ganger / Prospector / Refugee / Thug / Traveling Merchant / Vault 34 Dweller / Viper Gunslinger / Viper Leader / Wastelander (voice)

Then there's Ari Ruben:

quote:

Fantastic / Meyers / Dawes / Little Buster / Miguel / Jack / Argyll / Chet / Ted Gunderson / Dale Barton / Cursor Lucullus / Cato Hostilius / Barton Thorn / Carter / Roller / Weather Station Guard / Boomer Chef / Boomer Guard / Centurion / Crazed Chem Addict / Jackal Gang Member / Legion Explorer / Legionary Assassin / Legionary Blacksmith / Legionary Main Gate Guard / New Vegas Citizen / Powder Ganger / Powder Ganger Bodyguard / Prime Legionary / Prospector / Recruit Legionary / Veteran Decanus / Veteran Legionary / Vikki and Vance Dealer / Vikki and Vance Floor Manager / Viper Gunslinger (voice)

Jesse Burch:

quote:

Private Ackerman / Allen Marks / First Sergeant Astor / Quartermaster Brandon / Sergeant Bitter-Root / Carlyle St. Clair III / Crandon / Clayton Etienne / Quartermaster Mayes / Ranger Erasmus / Private Halford / Lieutenant Hayes / Private Jake Erwin / Corporal Walter Hornsby / Michael Angelo / Motor-Runner / Dr. Kemp / O'Hanrahan / Philippe / Razz / Saint James / Silus / Swank / Jimmy / Jackal Gang Leader / Jackal Gang Member / Mercenary / NCR Military Police / NCR Heavy Trooper / NCR Trooper MP / NCR Trooper / NCR Ranger / NCR Veteran Ranger / New Vegas Citizen / North Vegas Resident / Novac Settler / Prospector / The Tops Floor Manager / Thug / Traveling Merchant / Ultra-Luxe Cashier / Vikki and Vance Dealer / Viper Gunslinger / White Gloves Society Greeter / White Gloves Society Member / Dr. Whitely - Lonesome Road DLC / The Dad - Lonesome Road DLC / TV Narrator - Lonesome Road DLC (voice)

Liam O'Brien:

quote:

Pacer / Cachino / Jessup / Sergeant McGee / Sergeant Lee / Sergeant Cooper / Major Dhatri / Major Knight / Private Crenshaw / Lieutenant Gorobets / Captain Parker / Ranger Jackson / Poindexter / Comm. Officer Castillo / Comm. Officer Green / Comm. Officer Tilden / Comm. Officer Stepinac / Private Kowalski / Private Sexton / Ranger Parson / Private Stone / Lieutenant Markland / Ranger Grant / Alexander / Isaac / Tomas / James Garrett / Ralph / Santiago / Orris / Jacob Hoff / Carlitos Wayne / Jerry the Punk / Anders / Dixon / Mr. Soren / Farris / Missionary / Atomic Wrangler Cashier / Bodyguard for Hire / Beggar / Brotherhood of Steel Paladin / Great Khan / Gomorrah Bartender / Gun Runners Guard / Gun Runners Gunsmith / Kings Gang Member / NCR Engineer (voice)

Yuri Lowenthal:

quote:

Elder Nolan McNamara / Lucius / Aurelius of Phoenix / Ringo / Oliver Swanick / Henry Jamison / Lars Taggart / Fitz / Keller / Scribe Ibsen / Knight Lorenzo / Ike / Antony / Otho / Alexus / Sergio / Rick Lancer / Alerio / Male Courier / Andrews / Daniel / Tapper / Boulder City Worker / Brotherhood of Steel Initiate / Brotherhood of Steel Scout / Caravaneer / Centurion / Crimson Caravan Guard / Crimson Caravan Trader / Crucified Slave / Drunk / Escaped Convict / Followers' Guard / Freeside Thug / Gambler / Great Khan / Kings Gang Member / Legion Explorer / Legionary Assassin / NCR Engineer / NCR Prospector / NCR Trooper / NCR Heavy Trooper / NCR Ranger / NCR Mercenary / Powder Ganger / Praetorian Guard / Prime Decanus / Prime Legionary / Quarry Worker / Recruit Decanus / Recruit Legionary / Refugee / Roulette Dealer / Strange Man / The Tops Promoter / Traveler / Vagrant / Van Graff Thug / Veteran Legionary / Wastelander (voice)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

did dead money and now just finished raiding the fort and blasting caesar's head off with boone

1000 rounds of max charge gauss rifle ammo, ranger armor, 10 stealth boys and enough turbo to power a F-22 was one hell of a roman wannabe death roll

(though, to be fair, was thinking if I shouldn't have strolled down with gatling laser and power armor for maximum destruction)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Riatsala posted:

Well, it helps if the distance from you to your target is less than 5 feet or more than 100 yards. Anything in between is a crapshoot.

Naw, I remember one time in NV where I was trying to snipe some dogs (wolves? coyotes?) with a Gauss rifle at long range and couldn't hit them. Turns out there's some hit registration issues and I needed to be aiming at the rear end and the head.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Riatsala posted:

What I really mean is that there's a combination of factors that make NV/3 combat feel janky and not always completely fair, especially when you're coming back from FO4 (which is not, by any means, a masterpiece of rewarding combat, but still a vast improvement.) Among them are:

1. Enemies movement is fast and unnatural; enemies can, like the player, start and stop on a dime and change direction almost instantly, all the while being able to fire at you with near total disregard for anything other than avoiding incoming grenades. This makes it really hard to lead them or predict their movement at all, making close quarters fights very frustrating.

2. Enemy reaction time (assuming they're standing) is basically instant. They go from pointing away from you, studying the nearby rubble to pointing at you and shooting in the blink of an eye.

3. Weapons don't always fire like the should. I have 300+ hours in Fallout New Vegas and I still can't get a feel for the fire rate of the service rifle. Sometimes it fires as fast as you can click. Sometimes it doesn't fire at all. The 9mm pistol is also a big offender, while on the other hand the laser pistol seems to fire perfectly every single time. A mystery.

4. It's really hard to tell if you missed, and if so by how much. Bullets are invisible, bullet hole decals are hard to see and terrain hit effect don't have the sort of immediate visual clarity that they tend to in modern FPSes. Energy weapons are a strong exception.

5. VATS is a goddamn mess. I just fired nearly 50 9mm rounds at 95% to hit on a nukalurk's face and hit exactly 0 of them, with no hits to the rest of his body and no object inbetween us. And that happens all the drat time.

6. Your movement isn't always very exact. There's definitely some input lag when you move, stop, or sometimes when you change a weapon or fire a weapon.

7. Grenades work through some walls, but not through others. I've long since given up on making sense of where a grenade lands vs who they hit and how much damage they inflict. Still fun as hell.

8. Prop and terrain hit boxes are inconsistent. Sometimes you can fire through holes, sometimes you can't. Sometimes cover is just as tall and wide as it seems, sometimes it isn't.

9. No loving iron sights in 3, are you serious? What the gently caress? That's fine, I guess, if your reticle gave any indication as to the accuracy/spread of your weapon but you don't even get that. Solved in New Vegas, but fuuuuuck

Granted, these are individually small complaints. Not all of these things are constant problems, and Fallout 4 certainly didn't solve all of them, but taken together with inexplicably bad frame rates, micro stutters, and general glitchy-ness it can be a disappointing experience in a game that's 75% shooting the other mans, 20% fiddling with inventory and 5% having a story happen to you. And it's not like we didn't know how to make satisfying and fun FPS combat in 2008.

most of these are pretty much endemic to the engine as well and the combat is only really bearable by you having a dece amount of health to absorb all the janky misfires. which is why I've always been sceptical of the utility of those xXhARDCORE cOMBATXx mods

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

most of these are pretty much endemic to the engine as well and the combat is only really bearable by you having a dece amount of health to absorb all the janky misfires. which is why I've always been sceptical of the utility of those xXhARDCORE cOMBATXx mods

Your skepticism is well placed. I've been playing with Project Nevada, and while I think it's an overall improvement - even to combat - you absolutely will die/take extra damage due to jank. Not *too* frequently, but enough times that the cracks in the engine get more difficult to ignore.

isndl posted:

I needed to be aiming at the rear end and the head.

Words to live by.

I just tried to snipe a super mutant with the gauss rifle and he was flickering, naruto-style, between two positions as he patrolled. I shot the wrong image, and the real super mutant pegged me with a missile, such is the strength of Gamebryo style ninjitsu.

Maybe explosives are the answer to all of Fallout 3's problems.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 3, 2018

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Generic Monk posted:

i've long toyed with the idea of a mod that removes HP gain from leveling up. it would also remove scaling HP levels for monsters with leveling. the main roadblock (outside being too lazy) is that by mid-game weapons would be one-shotting everything (including enemies shooting your) so the whole game would turn into rocket tag.

maybe gin it up so that medium & heavy armor also provide increasing +HP bonuses so that you've finally got a reason to wear them (outside RP-ing I guess). i've never ever bothered with medium or heavy armor, even on melee builds, because being maneuverable and sneaky and being able to first strike something is so much more valuable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i've long toyed with the idea of a mod that removes HP gain from leveling up. it would also remove scaling HP levels for monsters with leveling. the main roadblock (outside being too lazy) is that by mid-game weapons would be one-shotting everything (including enemies shooting your) so the whole game would turn into rocket tag.

maybe gin it up so that medium & heavy armor also provide increasing +HP bonuses so that you've finally got a reason to wear them (outside RP-ing I guess). i've never ever bothered with medium or heavy armor, even on melee builds, because being maneuverable and sneaky and being able to first strike something is so much more valuable.

The mods I use for New Vegas already make armor valuable by making weapons do a fuckton of damage and enhancing the amount of protection armor provides. It makes starting fights a lot more difficult because one Powder Ganger with a .357 revolver can kill you with a few shots even if you have leather armor (if you didn't get armor for Ghost Town Gunfight, you have to play really loving carefully). Power armor ends up being extremely tough so you no longer have to worry about random wildlife or all but the biggest Fiend ambushes, but you can still get wrecked by deathclaws, explosives, and heavier weaponry. I also use it with Powered Power Armor so you actually need to monitor your power and heat levels.

Dead Money also ends up incredibly hard because of it, since your armor choices are so limited and you spend the first part of your exploration in nothing but a jumpsuit. Even after getting riot armor, one or two Ghost People are a serious threat all the way to the vault and tripping a mine or grenade bouquet can potentially be fatal. I still died over and over even after using a mod to bring vanilla companions because of how squishy I was.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're doing an unarmed or melee playthrough the only difficult thing in dead money are the radios. You just shred the ghost people

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

On one of my modded super hard runs I ended up taking Dog and just running with him to clear out the entire villa before actually doing anything. Although boy, that run to the casino was loving terrifying.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ian forever ruined companions in Fallouts for me, I don't take them anywhere anymore :argh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Azhais posted:

Ian forever ruined companions in Fallouts for me, I don't take them anywhere anymore :argh:

I got through all of Fallout 1 with Ian and Dogmeat only for them to die in the military base walking back and forth through the damage force fields. I couldn't even give enough of a poo poo to reload and save them at that point.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Whatever the engine FO1 and 2 ran on was really not designed to handle companions. I wonder why they even bothered including them...

I mean it's not like RPGs with multiple party members hadn't been tried bedore. It's almost as if they made a conscious decision to have companion act like babies you need to watch like a hawk rather than actual teammates.

I get the same vibe from the 3D iterations as well since your only method of controlling them is through an awkward conversation system. Except for the dog, oddly enough. I suppose it would be rude if I told Piper to go fetch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
For some guys with no precise control over their actions, Sulik and Cassidy could do a good job with proper equipment and setup in the talk system. Better than those nerds in Fallout tactics. They never could make a burst attack curve around the PC and crit-kill three enemies in one go.