Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Another reason to add to the pile of why I am not a fan of belters.

if i had to eat nothing but mushrooms my entire life i'd be a communist revolutionary too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Milo and POTUS posted:

What do you think that kibble was, some sort of rice and bean/lentil curry something or another? I'd probably rather have that than fake cheese lasagna.

And I would have just told those dumbass sailors from the get go that "we're on a super secret mission, SODs"

Here ya go:

https://m.imgur.com/a/Ad35V

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That looks truly vile. Anybody who enjoys mushrooms should seek therapy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Filler ep, but a pretty good one.

Also, yeah, the railgun thing is kind of nonsensical. Getting from Earth to say, Saturn, at c would take what, about an hour? And you can tell from the shot that the projectile is not moving anywhere near that fast. So best case, the Martians have a few hours to respond, and could probably move their platforms via a radio signal that will handily outrun the shot. AND AND AND they didn't actually fire the guns in such a way for simultaneous impact, they all fire at once. Unless you assume that they tuned the velocity of each shot to all hit simultaneously. That doesn't make much sense, since you're going to be leashed to the timing for the longest shot, giving Mars even more of a window. And we KNOW Mars can respond, because a delay of only a few seconds allowed them to fire some missiles. Oh well, (shrug).

And yeah, stealth in space is functionally impossible. If nothing else, I can scan a full sky with high resolution cameras every second and look for optical differences. Your'e still gonna block starlight.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 3, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

AlternateAccount posted:

Filler ep, but a pretty good one.

Also, yeah, the railgun thing is kind of nonsensical. Getting from Earth to say, Saturn, at c would take what, about an hour? And you can tell from the shot that the projectile is not moving anywhere near that fast. So best case, the Martians have a few hours to respond, and could probably move their platforms via a radio signal that will handily outrun the shot. AND AND AND they didn't actually fire the guns in such a way for simultaneous impact, they all fire at once. Unless you assume that they tuned the velocity of each shot to all hit simultaneously. That doesn't make much sense, since you're going to be leashed to the timing for the longest shot, giving Mars even more of a window. And we KNOW Mars can respond, because a delay of only a few seconds allowed them to fire some missiles. Oh well, (shrug).

And yeah, stealth in space is functionally impossible. If nothing else, I can scan a full sky with high resolution cameras every second and look for optical differences. Your'e still gonna block starlight.

Stars are very small and the sky is very big. You all have a lot of faith in optical technology but a fundamental misunderstanding of the inverse square law.

Also, the platforms were only a few light-seconds from Earth. They definitely compressed the timeframes, but the Martian platforms were not out by Saturn.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Every time Cara Gee appears on screen I can't help but think that they should just kill of Holden and replace him with Drummer. She even has way better chemistry with Naomi than he does!

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 3, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

A quick google for 'how long light travel earth to mars' gives (at closest possible approach) 182 seconds or a little over 3 minutes. Assuming railgun rounds travel at 1% of c, that's still over 30 minutes 5 hours from shot to kill. Missiles fired back would take an order of magnitude longer to reach Earth. It's TV magic to help set up other plots and honestly not that egregious considering they at least have characters on the Roci wear mag boots and (occasionally) hold their arms out like they're weightless.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Milo and POTUS posted:

Idk who the white guy was but man he looked familiar

The lady was the new nerd they got. The white guy was the rich guy with connections.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cojawfee posted:

The lady was the new nerd they got. The white guy was the rich guy with connections.

Well I'd never seen the show (or maybe the first few episodes?). But he looked so familiar and I couldn't peg him

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Stars are very small and the sky is very big. You all have a lot of faith in optical technology but a fundamental misunderstanding of the inverse square law.

Also, the platforms were only a few light-seconds from Earth. They definitely compressed the timeframes, but the Martian platforms were not out by Saturn.

Eh, I think I was thinking mostly of this: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php

Isn't there a big map on the UN table during that ep? They looked a lot further away than that to me. Ten light seconds still isn't very far away, but fair enough, maybe the stealth was such that they felt they could be close.

edit: Also, I am not misunderstanding inverse square. I mean poo poo, we have the ability to recognize an object passing in front of another start across the galaxy with current tech, so it's not a stretch to have the ability to distinguish changes more quickly and accurately a few hundred years hence.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 3, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This happens every time the topic comes up on SA.

Yes, you cannot truly hide in space. That does not mean everyone suddenly has perfect knowledge and the ability to track literally every object in the entire solar system. Stealth is not about being invisible, it's about being unnoticed. Space is very, very big and ships are very, very small.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Grand Fromage posted:

This happens every time the topic comes up on SA.

Yes, you cannot truly hide in space. That does not mean everyone suddenly has perfect knowledge and the ability to track literally every object in the entire solar system. Stealth is not about being invisible, it's about being unnoticed. Space is very, very big and ships are very, very small.

Yeah, give the show credit that most of the time, you see people avoiding attention by looking like something else, or just being part of the background noise with nothing to stand out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They also mention, at least in the books, that most ships don't have particularly good sensors. Drive plumes give you away immediately, and ships are all running transponders. The Martian stealth tech is a new-ish thing that they haven't figured out how to deal with yet.

Also like the Epstein drive they don't explain how it works. :v: Though I think they do mention a coating that absorbs all radar and maybe also lidar? I forget.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Food. You put it in that big hole in your face :v:

404notfound posted:

Well, that was a very brief change of heart for Mao

Mao gonna Mao

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If I'm remembering the first book correctly, Ade actually notices a patch of space that's a bit warmer than background right before the Anubis fires up its drive and nukes the Cant, but they don't really get into the exact specifics of how the stealth composites work beyond that.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also like the Epstein drive they don't explain how it works. :v:
I believe the exact quote on how it works is "it works very well".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

AlternateAccount posted:

Eh, I think I was thinking mostly of this: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php

Isn't there a big map on the UN table during that ep? They looked a lot further away than that to me. Ten light seconds still isn't very far away, but fair enough, maybe the stealth was such that they felt they could be close.

edit: Also, I am not misunderstanding inverse square. I mean poo poo, we have the ability to recognize an object passing in front of another start across the galaxy with current tech, so it's not a stretch to have the ability to distinguish changes more quickly and accurately a few hundred years hence.

We do have that ability now, but doing that across the entire sky is practically impossible as evidenced by the fact that we notice an asteroid pass between the Earth and moon all the time: just usually not until after it has passed by.

An imaging system taking in the entire sky like that would be on the magnitude of a few billion satellites, all with Hubble-scale resolution. And even then, the MCRN could just plot courses so that the platforms never occlude a star visible from Earth, meaning you need even more satellites! If you can make that many bespoke imaging platforms, you are probably putting that budget into more ships, not cameras, and an active-radar cordon between Earth and Luna.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

We do have that ability now, but doing that across the entire sky is practically impossible as evidenced by the fact that we notice an asteroid pass between the Earth and moon all the time: just usually not until after it has passed by.

An imaging system taking in the entire sky like that would be on the magnitude of a few billion satellites, all with Hubble-scale resolution. And even then, the MCRN could just plot courses so that the platforms never occlude a star visible from Earth, meaning you need even more satellites! If you can make that many bespoke imaging platforms, you are probably putting that budget into more ships, not cameras, and an active-radar cordon between Earth and Luna.

You should really read the article in the post you quoted, it covers everything you raised, and gives plausible answers on how the problems you're raising wouldn't be much of a problem in a setting like The Expanse's.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

AlternateAccount posted:

AND AND AND they didn't actually fire the guns in such a way for simultaneous impact, they all fire at once. Unless you assume that they tuned the velocity of each shot to all hit simultaneously.

They did though, that was the entire reason why platform 5 got one missile off, the firing delay caused projectile 5 to arrive late enough that the warning the other platforms sent on their destruction warmed it up just in time.

Also I really don't understand how people are still having trouble understanding the stealth tech. It's an entirely reasonable and logical extension of the stealth tech we've had since the 1980s, and on screen it has been routinely demonstrated as functioning exactly the same way, even if the exact engineering is handwaved.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 3, 2018

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

if that is the secret to crushing rear end to dust then sign me up

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

NTRabbit posted:

They did though, that was the entire reason why platform 5 got one missile off, the firing delay caused projectile 5 to arrive late enough that the warning the other platforms sent on their destruction warmed it up just in time.

Also I really don't understand how people are still having trouble understanding the stealth tech. It's an entirely reasonable and logical extension of the stealth tech we've had since the 1980s, and on screen it has been routinely demonstrated as functioning exactly the same way, even if the exact engineering is handwaved.

I get what people are saying about stealth ships being impossible, but I don't think the stealth ships on The Expanse were ever really billed as being invisible, more that they used the tech to hide their signatures and profiles and would run cold or pretend to be civilian traffic. But with the platforms...

ATP_Power posted:

You should really read the article in the post you quoted, it covers everything you raised, and gives plausible answers on how the problems you're raising wouldn't be much of a problem in a setting like The Expanse's.

I think in this specific circumstance: an unmanned platform with a long-development time and no need to burn or maneuver until firing, it would probably work:

Atomic Rockets posted:

First, there is the simple issue that, even if one can make a system that renders a ship totally undetectable when not using its drive, the ship in question will become visible as soon as it begins to burn. Not only that, it reveals its mass and velocity as well. This provides the opponent with the vessel's destination and arrival time even if they later lose track of it, which defeats the purpose of stealth in the first place. While there are certain types of drives that might be stealthy (low-power mass drivers and cold gas thrusters) both suffer from limitations that prevent them from being used for major course changes on reasonable mission timescales. The highest practical exhaust velocity that can be obtained from cold gas thrusters is with hydrogen, at just below 3,000 m/s. The low exhaust velocity, combined with the problems of handling hydrogen, limits the ability of a ship using those thrusters to make any significant changes in its velocity. Another serious complication is the difficulty of storing hydrogen. Gaseous hydrogen requires massively large and heavy tanks, limiting practical delta-V to less than a hundred meters per second, and liquid hydrogen is difficult to work with and very bulky, although it would be relatively easy to warm up to operating temperature using the waste heat produced by the rest of the ship.

A low-powered electrically-powered thruster can be used if one can somehow radiate away the reactor’s heat without the opponent detecting it. If that is the case, the thruster in question will be limited to low power levels, which either will result in very low acceleration, or low delta-V. In any case, the stealth thruster system will compare unfavorably with the prevailing engine technology, resulting in either extremely long missions (if it is used for all propulsion) or in the opponent knowing the destination (if a conventional burn is made first), which defeats the purpose of the design.
[...]
A Russian Oscar submarine is a cylinder 154 meters long and has a beam of 18 meters, which would be a good ballpark estimate of the size of an interplanetary warship. If it was nose on to you the surface area would be 250 square meters. If it was broadside the surface area would be approximately 2770. So on average the projected area would be 1510 square meters ([250 + 2770] / 2).

If the Oscar's crew was shivering at the freezing point, the maximum detection range of the frigid submarine would be 13.4 * sqrt(1510) * 2732 = 38,800,000 kilometers, about one hundred times the distance between the Earth and the Moon, or about 129 light-seconds. If the crew had a more comfortable room temperature, the Oscar could be seen from even farther away.

So 129 light seconds with a crew. Without a crew the detection range would be much lower, maybe 1/10th of with a crew. So as long as they delivered the platforms over months/years and kept it super-cold and coated with ~magic stealth tech~ the platforms would be basically undetectable until firing. Once the UN got a bead on one, it let them guesstimate the location of others until they had enough discovered to map out the flock and plan their assault.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure the amount of junk in space to keep track of expanded exponentially once you had several generations of corps doing poo poo, especially if the attitude that spawned belters applied to things that weren't profitable to pick up out on operations in space.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I get what people are saying about stealth ships being impossible, but I don't think the stealth ships on The Expanse were ever really billed as being invisible, more that they used the tech to hide their signatures and profiles and would run cold or pretend to be civilian traffic. But with the platforms...

There's nothing different about the platforms though, they're using the same stealth tech to reduce their profile to background noise, and Earth can never see them with radar because they never use a main drive to move, they're always floating in a distant orbit that they nudge randomly with thrusters. Earth spotted them using a super expensive optical telescope program, which they only knew to do through spying uncovering their existence, with the field of search narrowed based on mathematics, and even then considered it a lottery win to spot two at once.

~magic stealth tech~

Radar Absorbent Material. It's not magic, it's engineering and materials science that Lockheed came up with like 40 years ago, and actually exists and is used today.

I mean, surely you all saw the photos of the F-117 that were released to the public in like 1988, this can't be a mandella effect.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 3, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Explaining how we can't do the things done in sci-fi is the most tedious. Y'all are missing the tiny Mars stealth wizards, clearly.

I find myself enjoying the filler episodes more than the big setpiece ones. The strength of the books was in the character interactions and those are often lost as we get everyone where they need to go.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Explaining how we can't do the things done in sci-fi is the most tedious. Y'all are missing the tiny Mars stealth wizards, clearly.

I find myself enjoying the filler episodes more than the big setpiece ones. The strength of the books was in the character interactions and those are often lost as we get everyone where they need to go.

Yeah I really liked this episode and I definitely don’t consider it to be “filler”.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

NTRabbit posted:

There's nothing different about the platforms though, they're using the same stealth tech to reduce their profile to background noise, and Earth can never see them with radar because they never use a main drive to move, they're always floating in a distant orbit that they nudge randomly with thrusters. Earth spotted them using a super expensive optical telescope program, which they only knew to do through spying uncovering their existence, with the field of search narrowed based on mathematics, and even then considered it a lottery win to spot two at once.

Radar Absorbent Material. It's not magic, it's engineering and materials science that Lockheed came up with like 40 years ago, and actually exists and is used today.

I mean, surely you all saw the photos of the F-117 that were released to the public in like 1988, this can't be a mandella effect.

Eh, that discussion was getting into super-:spergin: territory and Atomic Rockets goes into detail about how that kind of tech is pointless for various reasons including you can see the space shuttle's maneuvering thrusters from Pluto with common commercial tech today. :shrug:

theCalamity posted:

Yeah I really liked this episode and I definitely don’t consider it to be “filler”.

I felt like the cold open was filler-ish. I get that we need the Nauvoo back for the rest of the season but it still felt like they wasted some sfx budget on pushing the Nauvoo around again. We get it: thruster-drones. You did this in season 2...couldn't we get another space battle later in the season or some more zero-g Amos instead?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Idk who the white guy was but man he looked familiar

Are we sure that Atticus Mittchell isn't Daniel Bruhl? I've never seen them in the same room together... :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NTRabbit posted:

Meta as gently caress because the book spoiler trap has been sprung

(thats a joke)

Are we sure that Atticus Mittchell isn't Daniel Bruhl? I've never seen them in the same room together... :colbert:

Wow. That's eerie.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 3, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Grand Fromage posted:

They also mention, at least in the books, that most ships don't have particularly good sensors.

To the contrary, good telescopes are pretty ubiquitous in the books. With maybe a little exaggeration, Naomi says the Canterbury's sensor array could resolve human-scale objects on Luna from the Belt. That's why getting jumped by stealth ships was such a shock.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

To the contrary, good telescopes are pretty ubiquitous in the books. With maybe a little exaggeration, Naomi says the Canterbury's sensor array could resolve human-scale objects on Luna from the Belt. That's why getting jumped by stealth ships was such a shock.

The first page notes that “a good scope” can see Solomon Epstein’s cold, dead yacht, which has been cruising at 5% of c for over a century. :v:

Forget resolution: just catching photons from that thing would be a serious undertaking.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I forget if in the books they explain how the Mormon’s ship was reaquired. I think it was on remote control.

But in the show it makes no sense at all. It missed Eros having accelerated for a week or two at speeds that would kill belters within hours. From the show it was clear that it had no real way to flip and burn by itself to deaccelerate, or else there would have been no need to go and get it themselves. So how did they catch up to it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobfather posted:

I forget if in the books they explain how the Mormon’s ship was reaquired. I think it was on remote control.

But in the show it makes no sense at all. It missed Eros having accelerated for a week or two at speeds that would kill belters within hours. From the show it was clear that it had no real way to flip and burn by itself to deaccelerate, or else there would have been no need to go and get it themselves. So how did they catch up to it?

This could be sort of explained with “it was fully loaded on fuel on launch and didn’t burn it all during those weeks toward Eros. The remainder was barely enough to flip and give it a solar orbit.”

It would be an incredibly convenient coincidence, but it’s more possible than most of the show’s travel times.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 4, 2018

Agahnim
Sep 14, 2006

bobfather posted:

They never say how long it was accelerating, and it wasn't accelerating when they caught up to it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bobfather posted:

I’d be willing to bet the Nauvoo had just enough fuel to test fire the engines a bunch of times (or accelerate to Eros) as it was still under construction. So no where near the amount to do a solid accel-flip-decel to (wherever they were going). They probably had to smuggle fuel on board to get to accelerate all the way to Eros.

When it runs out, the Nauvoo is on a purely ballistic orbit around the Sun. At that point you calculate a shortest time intercept as such that your velocity is 0 in relation to the Nauvoo.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

https://i.imgur.com/vqNThop.mp4

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Proteus Jones posted:

When it runs out, the Nauvoo is on a purely ballistic orbit around the Sun. At that point you calculate a shortest time intercept as such that your velocity is 0 in relation to the Nauvoo.

I guess not in the show, but book-Nauvoo was on a solar escape trajectory after missing Eros. Tycho had to send some fast motherfucker after it (purpose-built, I think).

Edit: typo

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 4, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

I guess not in the show, but book-Nauvoo was on a solar escape trajectory after missing Eros. Tycho had to send some fast motherfucker after it (propose-built, I think).

Yeah it was a very long and extremely risky mission that they just sort of glossed over. The show is compressing time but not really pointing it out.

e: IIRC book-Nauvoo never stopped accelerating (gradually) until they caught it - no remote control off-switch, same reason they had to physically chase it down.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chard posted:

e: IIRC book-Nauvoo never stopped accelerating (gradually) until they caught it - no remote control off-switch, same reason they had to physically chase it down.

My recollection is that thrust was cut but there was no way to do another burn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I liked this because this is more of what the protomolecule did to Eros in the books than the glowy alien crystal thing they went with on the show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chard posted:

Yeah it was a very long and extremely risky mission that they just sort of glossed over. The show is compressing time but not really pointing it out.

The mission was announced and started in episode 1 and they didn't show up until episode 4. I mean I don't know what else they could have really done besides flashing "6 weeks later" at the bottom of the screen. Or we could occasionally get cuts to them just sitting in their ships complaining about higher G than they're used to. People would have bitched about both of those things too so what are you gonna do.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
well that ending was more gruesome than i expected but yeah it fits the whole "disassemble everything" theme. i guess they weren't capable of disassembling the crew before. also loling how news cameras or something are still pointed at the ship on venus.

holden is usually a pain in the rear end and attempting his best nolan batman voice, but i was very happy when he owned the martian looking for ammo. i understand where they were coming from but ugh i hated them from the first second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So what exactly was that? Was the protomolecule analyzing the efficiency/effectiveness of the human body? The kid said something about distance and bandwidth, and redundant sensory inputs or something. I assume it was talking about the eyes.