Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Akong posted:

That's a gnome. You can only use it on any gnome characters you make.

Look, I don't care about elvish ethnic divisions, they all look the same to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

2house2fly posted:

As far as I can tell there is no way to rewind the twitch stream?? I have to watch from now and wait for the video to be archived for I can see the beginning of the stream, what the hell is going on with twitch

I mean, I know Google has more money than most countries, but I don't know how much of an additional expenditure it is to let you go back in a currently running stream, which youtube lets you do

Use this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/257569693

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

"small forms dart nimbly between the coral below"

drat, that probably would have been a fishing spot. :cry:

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

2house2fly posted:

As far as I can tell there is no way to rewind the twitch stream?? I have to watch from now and wait for the video to be archived for I can see the beginning of the stream, what the hell is going on with twitch

I mean, I know Google has more money than most countries, but I don't know how much of an additional expenditure it is to let you go back in a currently running stream, which youtube lets you do

I'm able to watch the vod just fine, click on videos.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah mental binding was nerfed into the ground in several different ways. In the most recent beta at least it was six seconds of paralyze for three secodns of cast time and three seconds of recovery, and the effect of paralyze is much less too.
To add to this, a couple of abilities that were overpowered in PoE1 were hit very hard. Deleterious Alacrity (3rd level) is arguably worse than Fleet Feet (1st), for example, or at least was in the last beta build.

But abilities weren't balanced well throughout the beta, so maybe some things changed since the last build. And if not I'm sure rope kid is already pulling 12 hour shifts working on the first balance patch. :v:

Daztek posted:

Woah, spells are per encounter now?
Everything is.
Except consumables because rope kid was scared of the grognards: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/173484553421/how-about-integrating-potion-usage-into-the-new :arghfist::mad:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ravenfood posted:

What other high-level abilities are there? It sounds like Rangers got a (nerfed) Twinned Shot, Monks get a +500% increase to crit damage, Fighters get a 100% hit-to-crit conversion on Empowered attacks, Ciphers get a Terrify+Hobble, Chanters summon a dragon, and Druids can summon an aspect of Galawain. What else am I missing?

It'll probably take some time for wikis and forums to be updated once the stream is over. Most/all classes get some sort of bonus on Empowered abilities. The monk I think got one that gives them something like 100 accuracy and penetration to an Empower attack, which seems way the gently caress better than whatever the fighters get.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Per rest mechanics have absolutely no tactical value and I'm glad they're gone.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Daztek posted:

Woah, spells are per encounter now?

Everything but your empower abilities is per encounter now. Spells have resources per spell level (I think) that can be restored with a use of Empower, but some classes have a pool of points to activate abilities from that can recharge based on their class mechanics a la Monk Wounds or a Barbarian Corpse-Eater eating a corpse.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Without spoiling the specifics I enjoy the games further attention to The Watcher as a Psychopomp.

Throughout the previous game you come across some major choices that basically have you control the direction or future of souls that linger for some reason or that you yourself recently disembodied.

Part of your nature as a Watcher enables you to do this but the introduction of the game charges you with doing it actively instead of merely when chance thrusts such an opportunity in your face. Focusing on this more seems like a good direction to me.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Milli posted:

drat druids got some really nice healing spells now (yes I know moonwell was always good)
Most of my better beta parties had a Lifegiver in them.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Samuel Clemens posted:

Well, guess it's time to abandon this thread for a few weeks. See you at the finish line.

Ditto!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yep, see you all next weekend!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Someone on Reddit made an Excel spreadsheet that lets you create characters ahead of time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8gpyta/ive_created_a_pillars_of_eternity_2_character/

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

since im just rushing through poe 1 for the first time, I'm thinking just going through and doing Eder and Pallegina and taking them with me in game 2 since they carry over and it'd be fun to see how it all plays out with them. plus pallegina is actually really neat in game, i love her voice acting.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Pallegina and Eder own. They have one of the best interactions come the end of the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dan Didio posted:

Pallegina and Eder own. They have one of the best interactions come the end of the game.

I don't usually have them in the same party, so what is this interaction?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

marshmallow creep posted:

I don't usually have them in the same party, so what is this interaction?

Well, right at the very end of the game, Thaos challenges Pallegina's conviction of belief, right after Pallegina's found out that the gods aren't real and laughs it off and commits herself to doing good regardless and Eder just kind of chuckles to himself and tells Thaos, "Buddy, you're picking a fight you can't win."

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
:kiss: éder & Xoti romance vibes

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hahahah Xoti is so loving thirsty

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
"vibes"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So uh did Eder just talk about banging Xoti's mother, loudly, in a barn, you reckon?

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

A Sometimes Food posted:

So uh did Eder just talk about banging Xoti's mother, loudly, in a barn, you reckon?

I don’t think that’s who he is specifically referring to, but otherwise YUP

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Man, Twinned Shots seems super underwhelming now. 3 bond to just do an extra attack? Am I missing something? I guess it could be nice with weapons that require reload, since it doesn't seem to preclude fire arms this time.

Also, I'm not sure that I will actually end up doing solo class Paladin for my all fire all the time Firegodlike Paladin. I focused almost entirely on offensive abilities and none of the level 8 and 9 powers really do much for that. Of course, if I multiclass, I won't even get to see Sacred Immolation until level 19... still I'm thinking I may go Paladin/Fury Druid to get a little more offensive fire in the mix.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
The song in the tavern is totally a hurdy-gurdy version of the song from the Stalwart tavern.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hurdy-gurdies are good so I am happy to hear it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Dairy Power posted:

I may go Paladin/Fury Druid to get a little more offensive fire in the mix.
Eh, I wouldn't do that. There's almost no synergy between the two classes. Also, Druids don't get a lot of spells that take less than 6 or 7 seconds base casting + recovery time, so (non-Shifter) Druids don't multi-class easily. And damaging spells gain a lot from extra power levels so the Fury especially has a good reason to stay single class. And the Fury has even less synergy with the Paladin than other Druids because its Spiritshift form is a ranged attacker.

Paladins pair really well with just about any DPS-focused martial class, though. Besides the Ranger, I guess, although I haven't tried that combination.

All of this is assuming you care about optimization to some degree, of course.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 4, 2018

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

So, watching the stream, I thought single-class characters got two ability points per level? Or am I thinking of something else?

Edit: At power level increase, nevermind.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNqM6B1w4AE

Class and skill info

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Most of the high level stuff seems meh, so yea multiclassing seems the way to go for non-casters at least. Think my party will be Eder figher/rogue, Pallegina paladin/chanter, Aloth wizard, Xoti priest and PC cipher.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

All humans are the same.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So what does Power Level actually affect? Like how nerfed am I going to make a multiclassed cipher when Amplified Wave is basically the only high level ability I care about (even though getting it however many levels later is going to blow and is the main reason why I hesitate multiclassing)

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

Eh, I wouldn't do that. There's almost no synergy between the two classes. Also, Druids don't get a lot of spells that take less than 6 or 7 seconds base casting + recovery time, so (non-Shifter) Druids don't multi-class easily. And damaging spells gain a lot from extra power levels so the Fury especially has a good reason to stay single class. And the Fury has even less synergy with the Paladin than other Druids because its Spiritshift form is a ranged attacker.

Paladins pair really well with just about any DPS-focused class, though. Besides the Ranger, I guess, although I haven't tried that combination.

All of this is assuming you care about optimization to some degree, of course.

Well, I'm planning on doing veteran or hard or whatever one below path of the damned is. Given how easy PoE 1 was on hard, I'm not worried about running an optimal build. Thematically, I don't really want to shift into an animal or grab a bunch of healing spells, so Fury fits better. It'll also help make up for the lost power levels on the offensive spells, to some degree. I'll be using Pallegina and Eder, so I'm not worried about my main character being a switch hitter, doing ranged in Fury form and melee otherwise. I actually like the idea that he gained the ability to change into an elemental form through whatever happens before the start of Deadfire. Flamebrand is also a major motivator for the idea, since I don't know if it'll be available via items this time around. Burst of Summer Flame is only a .5 second cast, so that'll work nicely too. It'd also be easier to cast some of the cone based spells like Boiling Spray with paladin defenses.

Wizard looked a little less appealing thematically to me, but it would almost definitely be better mechanically. I'll probably sit down and plan things out more thoroughly once there's easier access than jumping around Cohh's video.

None of the DPS classes really do much to add flames (I guess monk would at level 16, but eh).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to defy convention and do a multi class caster. My Priest of Eothas is what I'm importing. I can't decide yet what I want to multi class to, but I'm definitely gonna do it.

I'll probably keep some of the NPC casters single class just to get a taste of the high level abilities and see what those are like. But my main is definitely multi classing and probably every melee NPC will as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Anyone know how a Skaen priest/Shattered Pillar monk would go?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Can you bang a sword?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Ranger level 8 and 9 abilities seem underwhelming to me. Definitely going to multiclass Maia Rua into a Rogue or Wizard. I like the idea of Rogue/Ranger because they both have those rolling skills. Just rolling around the battlefield being annoying as gently caress appeals to me. Plus my PC will probably be a single class Wizard, Aloth a Battlemage.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
I'll probably make a melee wizard like in PoE1, so either a pure Wizard or one multiclassed with rogue, monk, or fighter.

Eventually I want to try some sort of tinkerer build with guns and bombs as well, but that will depend on how bombs interacts with class abilities. I'm kinda hoping they count as weapons so i get to use them with Deathblows sort of like caster rogues in PoE1, but that's probably unlikely.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Anyone know how a Skaen priest/Shattered Pillar monk would go?

I mean Skaen Priests apparently get Finishing Blow, so that could be a big source of Wounds to unload on your foes.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Aloth a Battlemage.

Can't kit companions, afaik, they are stuck with their default ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Can't kit companions, afaik, they are stuck with their default ones.

Each companion has 3 options to choose from. I believe Aloth's includes battlemage.

• Locked thread