Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s almost certainly misdirection. There’s no way Phil spills the beans about him and Liz a mere 6 episodes into the final season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yea I didn't mean that Phil would reveal himself to Stan for the next episode, I just meant in general.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TYVM for this, I was pretty confused about what exactly the process was for decoding that message

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't been watching the promos at all, but I appreciate it 100% if they're doing the Mad Men thing of just making promos that either make no sense or make it look like something big is going to happen between two characters who end up not even interacting.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Stan is going to be so hosed when it all comes out. His superiors are going to have to decide whether he's incompetent or dirty.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Stan is going to be so hosed when it all comes out. His superiors are going to have to decide whether he's incompetent or dirty.

It's going to look sooooooo bad for him, he's already gotten in enough poo poo w/r/t Nina and Oleg to make Phil and Liz being revealed as illegals look hella suspicious for him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah his life is gonna be completely hosed. Remember how he broke into their garage in I think the first episode of the series? Now his best friend is the son of a russian spy, and he is also real good friends with that russian spy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

howe_sam posted:

I want to say that Martha did figure it out, but she thought it was because "Clark" was bald.

Yeah that definitely happened.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah his life is gonna be completely hosed. Remember how he broke into their garage in I think the first episode of the series? Now his best friend is the son of a russian spy, and he is also real good friends with that russian spy.

I hope Henry and Stan's bromance survives the fallout.

Assuming Stan is still alive when this show is over.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You just wanted to gently caress her. You weren't getting enough action here. :stonklol:

That was probably the greatest stupid thing she has ever said to him. Like holy poo poo, Liz, how could you even begin to think that about Philip?

This show is tearing me apart!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

esperterra posted:

I hope Henry and Stan's bromance survives the fallout.

Assuming Stan is still alive when this show is over.

Stan had better be the last person standing, because if not, then gently caress this show.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Gonz posted:

Stan had better be the last person standing, because if not, then gently caress this show.

Even the potential "innocents" left standing (like Henry) or the "good guys" like Stan will end up broken. I can't see how this show is a happy ending for ANYONE except mail robot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

I never thought of it that way, but it now reminds me of House of Cards where everything for several seasons too conveniently goes the Underwoods' way to the point of it seeming like a weakness of the show and just accepting and having to deal with it.

I could've done without the toast. It felt like a scene where Phil and Paige should've burst out laughing afterwards at the irony.

I quit watching Archer three episodes into last season. Is this one of the many high-brow jokes that dragged the show down?
It wouldn't stand out that much if Stan wasn't completely ineffectual for like 6 years now.

The toast felt a bit out of character but he's probably still freaked out over the murder and the scope of the soviet operation. Good thing Liz was already gone and couldn't be there, she would've jumped over the table and stabbed him in the neck with a meat fork right then and there for that Reagan line.

Last season of Archer wasn't particularly high-brow, just relatively boring. Good news though, there's a new season out and I'm going to watch the first episode right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stan's old partner will have a happy ending, because he's just a bureaucrat doing a job emotionlessly :patriot:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't think the toast was out of character at all for Stan. He's a rah-rah turned up patriot because he's getting all amped up working with the old crew hot on the trail of an illegal, closing the net on some other spies.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Is there really only 2 more episodes of this show? I really wish this show wasn't rapping up so soon. I'm guessing these last 2 episodes will be nuts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's going to take a hell of a lot to wrap all this up in 2 hours holy poo poo

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
There's four left but I think at this point every single character could plausibly see their lives destroyed overnight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh whew okay

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if I want to have Stan look at a survillance photo with Liz in it, because they are hinting at something like that, or if I want them to not get caught yet.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If something forces a little objectivity on Stan, it could hit him all at once. People always have blind spots where their friends are concerned. The travel agency will have the tradecraft signature they're looking for and it land on his desk.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

If you think from that teaser that Phil is going to put himself to Stan next week I’m afraid that you are going to be disappointed. He’s probably going to tell Stan a made up story about “marriage problems”. Unless of course Elizabeth gets spotted in Chicago by the people tailing Harvest.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fuckstick posted:

If you think from that teaser that Phil is going to put himself to Stan next week I’m afraid that you are going to be disappointed. He’s probably going to tell Stan a made up story about “marriage problems”. Unless of course Elizabeth gets spotted in Chicago by the people tailing Harvest.

Just a reminder - I'm sure they're going to dig this out of a drawer:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My retired CIA pal has more to say about this season:

The rest of our convo was just discussing how awesome the mail robot was/is. Because the mail robot is the best character on the show.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Gonz posted:

The rest of our convo was just discussing how awesome the mail robot was/is. Because the mail robot is the best character on the show.

Fair enough, but I think with everything going on and things seemingly stretched so thin: it's the Russian spies (and the agency) that are sloppy.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Not just that, also possibly the military bigwigs. If the hierarchy of the standard illegals program was making the decisions, they wouldn't be risking Elizabeth, and they'd potentially cut the guy loose if they have to. But now they're like "He Can't Get Arrested so go do something!!!1".

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Dancer posted:

Not just that, also possibly the military bigwigs. If the hierarchy of the standard illegals program was making the decisions, they wouldn't be risking Elizabeth, and they'd potentially cut the guy loose if they have to. But now they're like "He Can't Get Arrested so go do something!!!1".

At this point in history, there was a very sharp divide between the military/Intelligence in the USSR and the politburo. The former grasping at straws to maintain their power is totally believable as a layman

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Only mail robot will have a happy ending.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Only mail robot will have a happy ending.

Epilogue scene: Mail robot is replaced by a human worker. :smith:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gonz posted:

I think he's pointing out something that the show itself has been pointing out - this is not the way things are done, this is incredibly risky, and it's being managed poorly. It's a side effect of - basically - the KGB fighting with itself. Everything about "Mexico" has reeked of an idiot politician or General who knows nothing of spycraft issuing demands.

So basically I'm not considering it a flaw of the show. I think that's the whole point of the season.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Also, was this the first episode of the season where Liz hasn't dropped a body?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Also, was this the first episode of the season where Liz hasn't dropped a body?

I had to look it up to check, but yeah, this is her first (though her mean is still above 1 per episode!)
In "Dead Hand", she stabbed that poor navy kid in the neck.
In "Tchaikovsky", she shoots the Air Force general point blank.
In "Urban Transport Planning", she kills the warehouse supervisor guy when doing the fake security audit in the last moments of the episode.
In "Mr and Mrs Teacup", she does the warehouse mission and shoots the 3 security guys.
In "The Great Patriotic War", she kills Gennadi and Sofia.
She didn't kill anyone in "Rafifi"

So that's 8 in 6 episodes, slow down Liz

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

canyoneer posted:

So that's 8 in 6 episodes, slow down Liz
Yeah I think that's further evidence that everything is going to poo poo. Too many people want too many things too fast, and Elizabeth is on edge all the time and not sleeping. So she's off her game, making bad decisions, further complicated by incompetence upstream and people who don't feel any great need to keep her safe and well.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Epilogue scene: Mail robot is replaced by a human worker. :smith:

Stan’s girlfriend finally gets her FBI job and it’s as the replacement for mail robot

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mail Robot actually has a Dead Hand mechanism inside of it, so if anyone ever stops having it deliver mail, it explodes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Stan’s girlfriend finally gets her FBI job and it’s as the replacement for mail robot

Mail Robot starts training his replacement and sparks a passionate affair. When she breaks up with Stan and moves out, she takes his copy of Strat O Matic football with her.
Stan has nothing left.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Turns out Stan has been the head of Directorate S this whole time and was intentionally placed as Phil and Elizabeth's neighbor to keep tabs on their missions, totally unbeknownst to them.

This is revealed in the series finale as Stan takes off his shirt and reveals an ENORMOUS Sickle & Hammer tattoo on his back.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gonz posted:

Turns out Stan has been the head of Directorate S this whole time and was intentionally placed as Phil and Elizabeth's neighbor to keep tabs on their missions, totally unbeknownst to them.

This is revealed in the series finale as Stan takes off his shirt and reveals an ENORMOUS Sickle & Hammer tattoo on his back.

And the reason Renee seems so suspicious is because she's been on it the whole time, their meet-cute and courtship at the gym was all to bamboozle Phil.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only way I could live with a bad ending for mail robot is if it is weird and world breaking and never explained. Someone shoots it and it explodes into a bunch of crows that fly away. Someone stabs it and it starts screeching and bleeding everywhere. And people just ignore that and it's never explained or referred to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The only way I could live with a bad ending for mail robot is if it is weird and world breaking and never explained. Someone shoots it and it explodes into a bunch of crows that fly away. Someone stabs it and it starts screeching and bleeding everywhere. And people just ignore that and it's never explained or referred to.

Mail Robot just casually phases through a wall and delivers crepes to everyone in the lunch room. Then it disappears entirely from our plane of existence.

esperterra posted:

And the reason Renee seems so suspicious is because she's been on it the whole time, their meet-cute and courtship at the gym was all to bamboozle Phil.

The final line of the series is Stan in some incredibly spooky prison with magnetic boots on his feet: "Oh no, i've been bamboozled."

Smash cut to "The Look" by Roxette as the credits roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlVI7ZNiFlI

Gonz fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 4, 2018

• Locked thread