Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
WWE has gotten too big to die, and wrestling has become too small in the mainstream to ever warrant another promotion on primetime TV on a relevant channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

WWE has gotten too big to die, and wrestling has become too small in the mainstream to ever warrant another promotion on primetime TV on a relevant channel

Aphrodite posted:

A true #2 could only come from a huge investment and aggressive poaching of WWE names, and that'll never happen again.

It's both of these, yeah.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cum

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

competition is good, but you can't possibly loving look at how WWF and WCW behaved towards each other and think "this is a healthy atmosphere for the wrestling industry."

How they behaved towards each other wasn't really what killed one of them though. WWF didn't force WCW to book itself so badly it cratered its revenue by like 50% while increasing costs even more over a 2 year period. Obviously WCW was spending a lot of money to try to win the war, but the spending wasn't a problem when they put out a product people wanted to see.

There is something to the idea that that US wrestling won't support two companies long term but the Monday Night Wars aren't the best example. JCP vs WWF is a better example just because JCP was presenting a great product at the start, had monopolistic tactics used against them and burned themselves out at the same time trying to hot shot things and compete.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

competition is good, but you can't possibly loving look at how WWF and WCW behaved towards each other and think "this is a healthy atmosphere for the wrestling industry."

it was the coolest time for wrestling ever so yeah

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We don't really need a true, national #2 like we had during the Monday Night War. For casual viewers, they've either checked out already or will watch WWE forever. For hardcores there are a million alternatives already that fit every type of wrestling anyone could want. It'd be fun to see a promotion like ROH or NJPW or even something new get major TV like WWE has, but the indie boom has made it so it's not a necessity (for now).

I could be watching a dozen other promotions if I really wanted to put in the effort or devote the time, but it's just such a saturated landscape for me that I don't even know who to pick. That's a pretty good problem to have.

Also, I love how Twitch has become a haven for indies. I've seen some fun shows on Twitch in the past year and it rules.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The major reason that NWA will never be #2 is that Billy will invariable piss off Vince, because Billy is always a dick. Hell, he managed to piss off Dixie Carter in spectacularly short order. Vince will most assuredly put the screws to Billy because this is the kinda poo poo that Vince lives for.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I can't imagine any scenario where Vince cares about NWA unless it was bought out by Kid Rock, apparently the only musician he knows of

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RealFoxy posted:

I can't imagine any scenario where Vince cares about NWA unless it was bought out by Kid Rock, apparently the only musician he knows of

In my head, I see Vince McMahon just absolutely raving about this new album he heard called Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness and it all goes downhill from there.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So do we just envision the WWE universe as its own actual stellar entity and Vince consumes all his pop media via radio waves sent out from Earth?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

So do we just envision the WWE universe as its own actual stellar entity and Vince consumes all his pop media via radio waves sent out from Earth?

What is this newfangled invention you call "radio"? He knows not of it...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are you sure?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He is familiar with all forms of media technology up to Cable Television.
He couldn't have created his own universe without it.
After that it gets fuzzy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly all of wrestling's relationship with pop culture makes a lot of sense if you assume it's all taking place on a planet some 2-4 light years from Earth.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dave Lagana went on Sean Waltman’s podcast and said a promoter offered Tim Storm $10,000 to double-cross Billy Corgan and drop the NWA title to them.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dave Lagana went on Sean Waltman’s podcast and said a promoter offered Tim Storm $10,000 to double-cross Billy Corgan and drop the NWA title to them.

oh my god tim storm why did you say no

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Because Lagana is probably lying.
I don't know why he would lie about this mind you.
But I guess I don't live in 3018 with Dave Lagana.

Maybe to create the illusion that the NWA title is worth 10 grand to somebody.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

oh my god tim storm why did you say no

Not enough eyeholes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Glad to hear the NWA is staying true to its roots.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lagana is a fuckin moron. He constantly thinks his raggedy rear end crayon set will create beautiful, compelling TV shows. I respect the ambition but this is like the 3rd or 4th time he's tried to force something where there's nothing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I like that they wanted to pay Tim Storm instead of trying to doublecross them because no one would dare shoot on Tim.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

This is why Billy needs to make Nick Gage the champ.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

someone hook billy corgan up with that guy who came in here years ago and refused to put up flyers

E: this guy https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747537&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 4, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

I love that I said this was plausible and everyone was like "nah, no way in hell, it would go terribly"

and yet here we are with some douchenozzle trying it

e: also the NWA title is probably the literal only aspect of the NWA that's still worth anything

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also the NWA title is probably the literal only aspect of the NWA that's still worth anything

It's really not. It frankly hasn't mattered in over 30 years.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DJExile posted:

I think he meant by the standards of the NWA itself.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I think he meant by the standards of the NWA itself.

Oh, yeah that's fair.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the NWA title COULD mean something with the right booker and the right wrestler and... I don't know. Just something that no one has figured out yet.

Like I think Cody Rhodes could probably have fun with the belt. I'm not sure it would rehabilitate the title or lead to anything but I do think there's a unique equation that "Cody Rhodes having his moment" and "NWA Title" fit with.

But like, probably not if he's just posting youtube videos and showing up at D level indy shows.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Wasn't the NWA Title a part of NJPW shows for a while? I feel like, if anything, that could get it to mean something to people. Just have a champion who is actually a good wrestler defend the title at big NJPW shows and make a big deal out of it. I guess that's a possibility if Cody winds up with the title.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Cody touring the world with the NWA belt getting exposure on it would be a terrific opportunity for Corgan but he will most likely find some idiotic way to gently caress it up

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cody winning the NWA title at All In would probably be a better moment if he was taking it off anybody who wasn't Magnus

That's why they should do the right thing for the NWA, the right thing for the title, and the right thing for Cody's plan to get 10,000 attendants, and have Magnus drop the belt to Jocephus so we can have the #bigmoney match of Cody/Jocephus. Watch the tickets sail into paying customer hands

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
With how exclusive Cody is to ROH I just don't see how him being NWA Champion would work so I'm sure they'll do it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

any company that helms nick aldis as their front man is a company doomed to die a quiet death in a aa league baseball stadium in dubuque

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

He isn't lying and stuff like that involving the NWA title in Texas happened before Lagana was ever involved.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

the sheik paid $5,000 to bruce tharpe to be champion for a little while.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They should just let people buy the right to win the NWA title. Like, anybody. 5k for intercontinental, 10k for world champ, if you give us 500k you get the belt and are champ forever, good job

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DJExile posted:

i would say closer to 20 (the Shane Douglas promo is where I define the end of it mattering at all, even if it hadn't been a Big Deal for a while prior), but that's not really what i meant

the NWA title is a legit important little chunk of wrestling history even if it no longer matters in the current day. and, as long as Corgan has that, he has at least one tiny little lifeline to legitimacy for his promotion. conversely, if another promoter dropped some cash to have some fuckery pulled and get the title for themselves, and managed to keep the belt after the likely legal fracas that would ensue, it would a) completely gently caress Corgan over, and b) give them that same tie to legitimacy, which, assuming reasonable competence, they'd probably get more mileage out of than Corgan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, if the NWA title was completely in control of GCW or PWG they could probably straight up loving revive the NWA.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

rovert posted:

He isn't lying and stuff like that involving the NWA title in Texas happened before Lagana was ever involved.

In what year?
Because in the 80's and earlier, totally believable.
After that, who would spend 10 grand on that thing except people who think that they could turn a profit stripping it for raw materials?

Chris James 2 posted:

Cody winning the NWA title at All In would probably be a better moment if he was taking it off anybody who wasn't Magnus

That's why they should do the right thing for the NWA, the right thing for the title, and the right thing for Cody's plan to get 10,000 attendants, and have Magnus drop the belt to Jocephus so we can have the #bigmoney match of Cody/Jocephus. Watch the tickets sail into paying customer hands

Please tell me this isn't actually the plan.
The only thing the NWA can accomplish in this scenario is assure that all-in is a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

In what year?
Because in the 80's and earlier, totally believable.
After that, who would spend 10 grand on that thing except people who think that they could turn a profit stripping it for raw materials?

Please tell me this isn't actually the plan.
The only thing the NWA can accomplish in this scenario is assure that all-in is a failure.

Firstly it was previously mentioned that the Sheik (the current one not Sabu's uncle) paid for a reign, it's been established that there are marks for the title (Mike Rapada also paid to be champ in the 90's). Hell that sort of thing isn't limited to the NWA title, Togi Makabe offered 5 grand to Samoa Joe at a NJPW Dojo show to drop the ROH title to him way back when Joe was the champ. There's a long and storied history of guys trying to buy their way to credibility in the business, and often it only makes sense to them. Hell, look at Jeff Jarrett.

Secondly it's a pretty big stretch to assume that having an NWA title match on a card is going to cause it to fail, since NJPW has had multiple shows with NWA title matches on them that did just fine. As did ROH during one of their peak business periods, and that was when Adam Pearce was NWA champion and feuding with Brent Albright. Cody is a bigger star than both of those guys.