Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The lawsuit is still ongoing for PGI, so don't expect to see any of their mech models related to the suit until after that is resolved.

Wait, that's *still* a thing? THat was a thing back in 2001 when I first hit the aforementioned multiplayer 3025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

True and also true. But what I'm saying is that strange clansmen laying in tubes distributing 'mechs is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical bloodright ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just cause some eugenics'd up tart threw a Warhammer at you! I mean, if I went around saying I was an IlKhan just because some gengineered bint had lobbed a Wolfhound at me, they'd put me away!

Now we see the violence inherent in the system.
I usually roll my eyes at Holy Grail references, but this was well done.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, that's *still* a thing? THat was a thing back in 2001 when I first hit the aforementioned multiplayer 3025

Harmony Gold has been copyright trolling mechwarrior/battletech stuff perpetually since the 1990's afaik

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I've never been that familiar with the lore, so I'm highly amused that it's straight up General Motors that made the Blackjack and other mechs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crusader posted:

I've never been that familiar with the lore, so I'm highly amused that it's straight up General Motors that made the Blackjack and other mechs.

Lockheed built the targeting systems that all mechs use!

Which have trouble hitting a skyscraper sized target at 500m.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eej posted:

It was a good game even if the netcode was so basic that it was literally just "if you click weapons on your target with the reticle over them then they will take damage no matter what even if it's a barrage of LRMs and they run behind a mountain".

Also the only time the AC2 was scary because you worked your way up from Light mechs so everyone's first step was the JVN-10F (Javelin with 4x MLs) where everything would devolve into circle strafing with lasers and suddenly the BJ-1 shows up with AC2s that can snipe Lights from double the range and also had 4x MLs to gently caress up any light that got close.

I played enough that I ended up dropping against Catapults. Since you couldn't LoS LRMs once they've been locked onto you it wasn't very fun.

Yup, but it had ridge peeking and DFA and team play and we were all getting excited for the release and then it just died overnight

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

it's a new lawsuit, same fight. HG sued PGI and HBS. The part against HBS was dismissed with prejudice, HG vs PGI still ongoing.

Crusader posted:

Pontiac survived the great automotive wars with a successful line of autocannons.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I can't decide if it's better if Planet Detroit has an excellent description behind it or if it's just "we named the planet Detroit. gently caress you."

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Cowcaster posted:

Harmony Gold has been copyright trolling mechwarrior/battletech stuff perpetually since the 1990's afaik

The 80s. Robotech aired in 1985, and HG complained to FASA pretty much on day one as far as I know. It just took a few years before the lawsuits really came out.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The HBS one was exceptionally lazy if I recall. Like they were claiming the Locust was the mech that was the infringement of their Marauder-like Battlepod.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I think all that was clearly a case of punch-counterpunch. They knew exactly what was going on, but knew a judge or jury wouldn't and wanted some easily-abandoned claims to muddy the waters a bit.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Recently I learned that Medusa either doesn't know what the gently caress a tree is or has very bad eyesight. Fortunately Glitch just got out of medbay so he can go back to warming the bench.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crusader posted:

There was someone in AI who had a perfect "GM Mark Of Excellence" custom title that I wanted to post here, but I can't remember who, and you can't dig through old titles anymore anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Night10194 posted:

Holding your weapon steady is lostech.

Why do mechs have hands actually? I can understand close range melee mechs having claws because I guess shotguns also are lostech (lol), is it so Atlases can flip people off?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so they can hold things, op

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Pretty sure the answer is: to look cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

so they can hold things, op

Why can't I give a mech a space handcannon

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do want to mention that the interesting thing about the clans isn't trying to justify them, and Soup's analogy for them is ultimately misguided because they are explicitly not a rational solution to a tough problem in the text.

They are quite literally a faulty solution imposed upon a desperate and decimated military colonial population by a mentally unstable milhist nerd with a dodgy grasp of history, mild to moderate furry tendencies, and an unfortunate but terminal case of the Warriorboo. Half the weird rules he instituted for the clans' ritual combat were because he was personally afraid of people being able to beat him if those rules weren't there, like what happened to his brother in Operation Klondike. And he really, really did not take no for an answer, nor appreciate anyone modifying his perfect plans due to practical concerns, as Clan Wolverine learned at great cost.

And the main reason he got away with it is because happened to be the dumber, but luckier, son of Aleksander Kerensky.

So the clans are a horrifically inefficient Aristocracy run on the blood and sweat of over 90% of their population with social stratification enforced from the top down, and any clan that tries to ease up on these restrictions are liable to get genocided, like what happened to clan blood spirit during the wars of reaving. All so a bunch of idiots get to have fun shooting each other over e-honours.

Nazis nothing, they're basically brony gamer clans with quasi-nationalist ideologies.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Boeing built the Osprey whose one job is to fly. Makes me nervous knowing they built the Argo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RBA Starblade posted:

Why do mechs have hands actually? I can understand close range melee mechs having claws because I guess shotguns also are lostech (lol), is it so Atlases can flip people off?

Gotta have hands to do jazz hands

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

RBA Starblade posted:

So they can pick things up. Not being sarcastic here, that's literally the reason.

Those things might include dead mech parts for salvage. In the tabletop mechs with hands can also uproot trees to use as a club. Practically no one ever does this, but it's a thing that theoretically exists.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

How do you think you haul all those mechparts back to your dropship?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Why can't I give a mech a space handcannon

don't know if i'm getting :thejoke: here but a few of the early designs for mechs (especially the anime licensed ones) legitimately carried their guns in their hands:

they kind of fell by the wayside/got redesigned as the game grew i think 50% because half of them were unseen and 50% in order to give the setting a more cohesive art style

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 4, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Tbh I always thought that there are a bunch of redshirts in the background. Like a helo pilot for salvage, etc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In other words they're like if overwatch league teams were really into incest and :biotruths:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xarbala posted:

In other words they're like if overwatch league teams were really into incest and :biotruths:

This is sounding more and more realistic by the second

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Fraction Jackson posted:

Those things might include dead mech parts for salvage. In the tabletop mechs with hands can also uproot trees to use as a club. Practically no one ever does this, but it's a thing that theoretically exists.

Trees are weak. Real mechs use a severed Locust leg as a club. Or, better yet, a whole Locust, though I don't believe that's ever been supported by any game or fictional element ever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Trees are weak. Real mechs use a severed Locust leg as a club. Or, better yet, a whole Locust, though I don't believe that's ever been supported by any game or fictional element ever.

Why the gently caress not.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Xarbala posted:

It doesn't count if you use test tubes.

Anyway the truth about the Clans is Kerensky was a terrible father and mentor, having successfully pissed off pretty much every Star Lord who served in the SLDF. Raised the Terran Hegemony heir hands off to be a shithead and manipulated by fat Rasputin Hitler. Then ignoring his own kids to design a cool skull mech and genocide the Periphery.

In other words still probably a more effective leader than the White Russian Kerensky.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 4, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I accept the tree club answer and retroactively gives this game a 0/10 for not letting me do that

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would completely understand the existence and continued presence of Locusts on the battlefield if that purpose was secretly 'Can be thrown at another mech by an Atlas.'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

Why the gently caress not.

Pre-cut DLC content

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I would completely understand the existence and continued presence of Locusts on the battlefield if that purpose was secretly 'Can be thrown at another mech by an Atlas.'

One throw, two critical hits to two different heads.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Silence the hate! The SRM and LRM equipped Locusts are perfectly serviceable light mechs that pack enough firepower to rival just about any other light mech and with more speed. It's the MG Locusts that have to sit at the nerd table (because they're primarily intended to be an anti-infantry mech if I remember correctly, and nobody ever includes infantry in battletech anything).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Jack2142 posted:

I mean I am not opposed, speaking of the Warhammer...

I wonder if the Harmony Gold suit crapping out means we will ever get a free patch adding some of the MW:O redesigned unseen like the Warhammer and the Archer.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The lawsuit is still ongoing for PGI, so don't expect to see any of their mech models related to the suit until after that is resolved.

Despite this, some of the wording of the AMA and the update post are very strongly leaning on the idea that the Reseen-Unseen are going to be coming to HBS Battletech without actually mentioning the idea directly. I wouldn't be surprised to see them added this year, and we know that the Marauder and Warhammer were straight-up in the game client at earlier points in development.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Silence the hate! The SRM and LRM equipped Locusts are perfectly serviceable light mechs that pack enough firepower to rival just about any other light mech and with more speed. It's the MG Locusts that have to sit at the nerd table (because they're primarily intended to be an anti-infantry mech if I remember correctly, and nobody ever includes infantry in battletech anything).

Two Elementals can probably beat up a Locust though.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

ulmont posted:

Is there any way to view contracts in other systems without going there first? I'd like to do a bunch of assassinations or traps to fill out my heavy collection.

No BBS's are lostech.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh certainly. I rather suspect that most, if not all, the Macross Unseen are pretty much just waiting for a patch to be included. Hell, I bet Victoria was supposed to originally have a Marauder or maybe a Warhammer instead of the K2, and wouldn't be surprised if the original heirloom mech was a Phoenix Hawk instead of a Blackjack.

However, I'm pretty confident we're not going to see them until the lawsuit is resolved, because PGI/HBS want to play this as safe as possible and not give HG any extra ammunition. I mean, as far as we can tell, they've got HG on the ropes and right now its just HG trying to sandbag and draw out the proceedings. Its best to wait instead of risking it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I thought all the designs were licensed from MWO, so we'd only be seeing stuff that was in MWO first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I thought all the designs were licensed from MWO, so we'd only be seeing stuff that was in MWO first

Almost all the Macross Unseen are in MWO, which is the reason for the latest HG lawsuit.

PGI HBS have said they wanna start making their own mechs though, instead of rely on PGI.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 4, 2018