Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, ordinarily you'd have a point but the core gameplay of classic Sonic being dirt loving simple to understand (go right fast, hit enemies, avoid obstacles) is legit one of its strongest points. you could teach an actual chimpanzee how to play the original Sonic.

Sonic CD is an okay game but the design being kind of incomprehensible unless you research the game first means it misses one of the core Good Things about Sonic

Fair enough I guess, but when I was a kid I had total donkey brains and yet I still figured it out with barely a glance at the instruction manual. I mean in the very first stage of the game they hand you a "Past" goal and then practically force you to travel to the past with the "keep moving fast" mechanic. Then you'll most likely run right past the badnik machine, and if at that point you still can't figure out that you can smash it I don't know what to say.

The only thing that confused me as a kid was the Metal Sonic projector. I had no idea what it did, and today the only answer I can come up with is "probably nothing at all".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

The only thing that confused me as a kid was the Metal Sonic projector. I had no idea what it did, and today the only answer I can come up with is "probably nothing at all".

It adds happy animals! And nowadays you'll get an achievement for getting them all.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I'm reading that you could get the good ending by destroying every single Metal Sonic projector and robot teleporter in the past zones. I always thought you just needed the teleporters for that alternate method, or of course you could get all the Time Stones. I've never tried and I kinda want to see if that's true.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No, they really don't do anything. They only add animals to all time periods which is only a visual difference.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
seeing as how metal sonic is destroyed at that point, do the metallic madness stages have a metal sonic projector?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's a projection

why would it require him to be alive

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

seeing as how metal sonic is destroyed at that point, do the metallic madness stages have a metal sonic projector?

Nodosaur posted:

it's a projection

why would it require him to be alive

This is a good point - and no, there aren't any projectors in Metallic Madness, just teleporters.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I'm reading that you could get the good ending by destroying every single Metal Sonic projector and robot teleporter in the past zones. I always thought you just needed the teleporters for that alternate method, or of course you could get all the Time Stones. I've never tried and I kinda want to see if that's true.

Last time I played I got the good ending from just destroying the teleporters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, you just need to either collect all the Time Stones or destroy all the teleporters. Not sure if destroying the Metal Sonic projectors gets you anything though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 4, 2018

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadow Hog posted:

A friend who recently played the game put it this way: Sonic 2006 controls terribly, but it controls consistently terribly, such that you could, over way too much time to be considered healthy exposure to Sonic 2006, get used to its awful quirks and work around them.

Based on this statement, I actually don't believe they played sonic06 beyond the first level. The controls were wild and would definitely change mid stage, not even counting actual character switches or Mach speed/motorcycle sections. Asking for any of silvers physics interactions to be consistent is a joke (especially the ball puzzle). Crisis city Mach speed section was worse than anything in forces hands down.

Forces has 3 characters who control semi-decently; 2006 has 9 characters who sometimes respond to you pressing buttons intentionally, but only sometimes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the metal sonic projector terrorized all the animals how did you not get that

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Metal Sonic projectors have nothing to do with getting Good Futures but they're still fun to find. The biggest issue with CD is that it's pointless to travel to the Future versions of Zones 1 and 2 for every stage. A CD with an objective to do in the future zones would be my favorite Sonic, easily. As it stands it's second to Mania in my book.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

A friend who recently played the game put it this way: Sonic 2006 controls terribly, but it controls consistently terribly, such that you could, over way too much time to be considered healthy exposure to Sonic 2006, get used to its awful quirks and work around them. Sonic Forces, meanwhile, changes the rules for top speeds, acceleration and deceleration depending on what character you're controlling, what stage you're playing as them in, what part of that stage you're playing as them in, whether you're on the ground or in the air, whether you're boosting or spinning, et cetera et cetera. As such nothing ever feels right, because what started to feel right a few seconds ago now no longer applies.

There's probably better examples but the worst "section" for me in Forces was the second Infinite fight where you control the OC in a 2d view. Moving from one side of the screen to the other is extremely slippery and your character's broken momentum makes it so you keep getting hit by everything by walking straight into enemies or attacks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Stairmaster posted:

the metal sonic projector terrorized all the animals how did you not get that

I got that... what I didn't get it what function it had in the game by destroying it. I never noticed any of the little animals coming back after you destroyed it, probably because I rarely if ever went back to the present afterwards and in the past the only living things are the flowers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Metal Sonic projectors have nothing to do with getting Good Futures but they're still fun to find. The biggest issue with CD is that it's pointless to travel to the Future versions of Zones 1 and 2 for every stage. A CD with an objective to do in the future zones would be my favorite Sonic, easily. As it stands it's second to Mania in my book.

A CD where there's a reason to go to good futures & time traveling isn't obnoxious would be great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GUI posted:

There's probably better examples but the worst "section" for me in Forces was the second Infinite fight where you control the OC in a 2d view. Moving from one side of the screen to the other is extremely slippery and your character's broken momentum makes it so you keep getting hit by everything by walking straight into enemies or attacks.

The Lightning Wispon at least makes it a little easier as with it's range you can basically always hit him no matter where he is, I agree it's very slippery and kind of hard to see what's going on onscreen though (I have the same problem with the last Avatar level where you're scaling the tower).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

Wait so that video is saying that if you do no research on a game, have no idea what you're doing and flail around in it you'll have a bad time and then blame the game?

:wow:

Gammatron 64 posted:

A lot of people are like "it should be obvious what to do in a game and you shouldn't have to read the instruction manual and its bad dated game design otherwise". "Such and such thing is 'dated'."

Maybe I am just a grumpy old man, but this line of thought annoys me and I think it's dumb. I enjoy my old dated games and I play stuff from the 90s as much if not more than modern stuff.

If I ever made my own video games, I would want to do the same sort of thing guys like Locomalito do and just make stuff heavily influenced by old games I love.

I think it would be hilarious to have a game start with an ingame tutorial, but it just berates you and tells you to read the instruction booklet and then just throws you into the water kicking and screaming.

I mean who as a kid didn't end up reading the instruction manual on the ride back from funcoland anyways

Sonic CD was def still in the era of "read the manual", it's easy to forget that nearly every game, platformer or otherwise, was a lot more heavy on the booklet tutorial over in game tutorials, especially in the pre-internet (or, if you were really stuck, "phone call to the tip hotline in the back of the manual") days. Sonic may be a platformer but I can't recall an actual "tutorial" in any of the games that was more informative than "Get Blue Spheres!"

I don't disagree that it's dated today when you're lucky if a manual exists, let alone in a format you can access easily, but that's not something you can retroactively fix.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ventana posted:

Based on this statement, I actually don't believe they played sonic06 beyond the first level. The controls were wild and would definitely change mid stage, not even counting actual character switches or Mach speed/motorcycle sections. Asking for any of silvers physics interactions to be consistent is a joke (especially the ball puzzle). Crisis city Mach speed section was worse than anything in forces hands down.

Forces has 3 characters who control semi-decently; 2006 has 9 characters who sometimes respond to you pressing buttons intentionally, but only sometimes.
Counterpoint: he's played the piece of poo poo long enough to have a 2-million viewcount video detailing the myriad ways it blows, and earlier made another video showing an S rank of Crisis City which he later used to rebuff people in the comments of the former video accusing him of deliberately playing the game shittily on purpose to make the game look bad (:wtc:).

At any rate, instead of me paraphrasing what he said, how about I just post direct links: here and here.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Counterpoint: he's played the piece of poo poo long enough to have a 2-million viewcount video detailing the myriad ways it blows, and earlier made another video showing an S rank of Crisis City which he later used to rebuff people in the comments of the former video accusing him of deliberately playing the game shittily on purpose to make the game look bad (:wtc:).

At any rate, instead of me paraphrasing what he said, how about I just post direct links: here and here.

oh hey you still talking to blazehedgehog?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadow Hog posted:

People accusing others of playing lovely on purpose is hella weird.

Back to the point though, those tumblr comments don't really add anything. If anything they make him look more wrong, since 100% Sonic R controls much worse than Forces. Nor does it change those earlier wrong viewpoints being...wrong. Picking up and playing Knuckles in 06 for 2 seconds alone would tell you enough that Forces doesn't control anywhere close to being bad, and Sonic 06 switches controls to other characters probably more than Forces (if you don't count using different Wispons, but some people might) which completely ruins any argument about consistency.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ArfJason posted:

oh hey you still talking to blazehedgehog?
Regularly!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite part of sonic 2006 is that any time you're playing knuckles or Rouge and jump on a wall, there's a 30% chance that you'll just be trapped and unable to get off the wall for another 2-5 minutes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

My favorite part of sonic 2006 is that any time you're playing knuckles or Rouge and jump on a wall, there's a 30% chance that you'll just be trapped and unable to get off the wall for another 2-5 minutes

It's a beautiful little moment.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ventana posted:

The controls in Forces are miles away from "decent"

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

A CD where there's a reason to go to good futures & time traveling isn't obnoxious would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcLpwUccCqo

:v:

Check this cool poo poo too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvbYzFBMPE8

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yes, in Sonic CD you usually just see the past and present and never see the future till act 3 because there's no reason to go there. So there are two variations of each level that are there that you almost never see and are kind of a waste. Here is how I propose fixing that:

The changes I would make for CD is that I would only have 2 time zones, past and future. Get rid of the "present". You start in the bad future, then go to the past, fix it, then return to the good future.

There's no risk of getting the wrong sign post because they are all past or future and never a mix of the two. I would keep the 88 MILES PER HOUR time travel method because its fun, but I would make it more forgiving. If you screw up, the sign post returns to normal so you can try again.

Also maybe you can't finish the level in the past. You have to return to the future to clear it. That way you see the good future and the changes you made.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gammatron 64 posted:

A lot of people are like "it should be obvious what to do in a game and you shouldn't have to read the instruction manual and its bad dated game design otherwise". "Such and such thing is 'dated'."

Maybe I am just a grumpy old man, but this line of thought annoys me and I think it's dumb. I enjoy my old dated games and I play stuff from the 90s as much if not more than modern stuff.

If I ever made my own video games, I would want to do the same sort of thing guys like Locomalito do and just make stuff heavily influenced by old games I love.

I think it would be hilarious to have a game start with an ingame tutorial, but it just berates you and tells you to read the instruction booklet and then just throws you into the water kicking and screaming.

Being intuitive in general is a good aspect for everything human-related but people conflate "dated" with whatever it is they don't like anymore. Together with the word nostalgia which pretty much has a negative connotation nowadays.

As for manuals, there's always the Afterlife guide which holy poo poo might as well be a better product than the finished game itself.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 8, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elentor posted:

As for manuals, there's always the Afterlife guide which holy poo poo might as well be a better product than the finished game itself.

Never played Afterlife, but see also: SimCity 2000, SimAnt, other Maxis games.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Time travel should be done by charging a spindash up really really high. Would probably get annoying after the first time but the system CD has is already pretty fuckin annoying.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Time travel should remain the way it is (making the signs not deactivate is a great idea though)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeJF posted:

Never played Afterlife, but see also: SimCity 2000, SimAnt, other Maxis games.

I had those and their manuals were all wonderful.

It's hard to find a pdf of the Afterlife manual. Apparently it had two, a short one, and a really long one that contained a bunch of background story and the flavor text of every building in the game. Half the buildings were ironic punishment dispensers in hell and the flavor text was really amusing since it was written with a comic tone.

Then there's the story of this angel who was so annoying that he got banished to hell, then was so annoying in hell that the powers-that-be turned him into a sentient rock because he was not very grateful for having senses, going so far as trying to make hell worse because he didn't feel the torments he was undergoing were bad enough. The story is told in multiple parts based on each building he built in Heaven and Hell to "improve the experience".

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

time travel... should not be in sonic games

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sharrrk posted:

Sonic Generations was good though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sharrrk posted:

gonna travel back in time and slap this post right outta you

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The time travel isn’t all that fun to do in CD but it’s still worthwhile just for the music remixes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Generations was good though.

Yeah but the closer to in-level time travel we got, the worse it was.
See: Time Eater :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kikas posted:

See: Time Eater :v:

Looks like a homing attack...!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Looks like a homing attack...!

Oh this reminds me, I've recently got to playing through Forces and holy poo poo do I agree with every crticism I've heard of this game and some more. It's like a horrible chimera of Bad Sonic Design all over. But the worst offender has to be the constant chatter from the support cast, what the gently caress. It was one of the worst things in the Generations final boss and now it's back for some more action.
Plus I don't "feel" the game at all. It's due to the structure - every time I think I just got the rhythm right, WHAM. The level ends and the next one is something completely different. The 3 gameplay modes don't complement eachother, they're just similar enough for the differences to be jarring when you switch between one and the other. Plus the Avatar stages kinda suck, you end up smashing your silly face against enemies a lot cause you forgot you can't boost through.

And it's a shame cause I kinda like the world they made. The overall themes of levels feel really close to Heroes, especially in the "city" stages which look very much like an evolution of Metropolis levels from Heroes. Plus Space Gate or however that Death Egg escape level was called reminded me of Egg Fleet, which I always thought was a really cool level and I wished they decided to revisit it after Heores.Although what the gently caress happened to the music? Why is it all chiptunes when it's not a vocal track? It's so grating at places. Really glad I skipped this until now and got my Sonic kick out of Mania.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh yeah and the Homing Attack itself loving sucks. It has a weird delay and doesn't always want to home in, which was a complete pain in the rear end in the Zavok bossfight. And sometimes it works. Are some levels on the Lost World engine while others are on the Generations engine? Cause it sure feels like I keep switching games when playing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kikas posted:

But the worst offender has to be the constant chatter from the support cast, what the gently caress. It was one of the worst things in the Generations final boss and now it's back for some more action.

They let you shut it off entirely in the menu this time though, so there's at least that. I left it on until I was replaying stages because I liked doing Tag levels and letting Sonic tell me how cool and good I am.