Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Proteus Jones posted:

Well sure, but the insurance company is going to take whoever did it to court to recoup the payout.

They're often also going to want to see a police report before they'll pay up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Well sure, but the insurance company is going to take whoever did it to court to recoup the payout.

I meant, won't the person who did this have liability insurance? He'll probably have to pay higher premiums, but he won't have to pay for the door itself.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pidan posted:

I meant, won't the person who did this have liability insurance? He'll probably have to pay higher premiums, but he won't have to pay for the door itself.

What liability insurance covers "broke down a glass door in a shop", though? Who takes out that kind of insurance?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jurors sick of hearing about prison guard’s huge, stinky penis

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What liability insurance covers "broke down a glass door in a shop", though? Who takes out that kind of insurance?

I'm not sure I'm using the right term, because I'm not in the US. Here it's called Privathaftpflichtversicherung and basically everybody has it, most people won't allow you to rent anything of value if you don't. Covering damage you do to other people's property in a way that you'd normally have to pay them is exactly what that kind of insurance is all about.

Here's an unrelated headline:

Knives, Knives, Knives

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pidan posted:

I'm not sure I'm using the right term, because I'm not in the US. Here it's called Privathaftpflichtversicherung and basically everybody has it, most people won't allow you to rent anything of value if you don't. Covering damage you do to other people's property in a way that you'd normally have to pay them is exactly what that kind of insurance is all about.

You can get renter's insurance in the US if you're renting. Some places will force you to get some coverage to rent. There's car insurance, various types of home insurance, insurance for businesses, employer's compensation, etc. But for damages done to some random store on the street? I don't think there's something like that here. Moreover, if I'm reading the relevant section in the wikipedia entry correctly, you wouldn't be able to cover this because of mens rea - if the guy intentionally broke that door in anger, rather than negligently or unavoidably, then no insurance would cover it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You can get renter's insurance in the US if you're renting. Some places will force you to get some coverage to rent. There's car insurance, various types of home insurance, insurance for businesses, employer's compensation, etc. But for damages done to some random store on the street? I don't think there's something like that here. Moreover, if I'm reading the relevant section in the wikipedia entry correctly, you wouldn't be able to cover this because of mens rea - if the guy intentionally broke that door in anger, rather than negligently or unavoidably, then no insurance would cover it.
Most renters and homeowners insurance does include liability insurance that would cover the policyholder for damage they are liable for, even if it happens in a shop. That coverage may or may not have exclusions for intentional acts, but a court might determine it should be covered anyway because he had a reasonable right to expect a door in a retail establishment could handle getting slammed without breaking.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wheatpuppy posted:

Most renters and homeowners insurance does include liability insurance that would cover the policyholder for damage they are liable for, even if it happens in a shop. That coverage may or may not have exclusions for intentional acts, but a court might determine it should be covered anyway because he had a reasonable right to expect a door in a retail establishment could handle getting slammed without breaking.

Could you show me a single policy that covers you damaging property nowhere near your home?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

liability insurance is like when you have a car and you smash it into someone/something. thats your liability that you paid some dollars for maybe

afaik?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could you show me a single policy that covers you damaging property nowhere near your home?
Well I mean here's the basic info from Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_insurance

Home insurance, also commonly called homeowner's insurance (often abbreviated in the US real estate industry as HOI), is a type of property insurance that covers a private residence. It is an insurance policy that combines various personal insurance protections, which can include losses occurring to one's home, its contents, loss of use (additional living expenses), or loss of other personal possessions of the homeowner, as well as liability insurance for accidents that may happen at the home or at the hands of the homeowner within the policy territory.

I will see if I have actual contract language as an example.

Edit: Here is an example from a TX contract. It doesn't set any limits on the location of an incident, just the liability.

"Section II—Family Liability And Guest Medical Protection
Family Liability Protection–Coverage X
Losses We Cover Under Coverage X:
Subject to the terms, conditions and limitations of this policy, “we” will pay damages which an “insured person” becomes legally obligated to pay because of “bodily injury” or “property damage” arising from an “occurrence” to which this policy applies, and is covered by this part of the policy."

And here's the bit that could be used to exclude Door Dude, depending if it is determined that he could reasonably expect his actions to cause damage.

"Losses We Do Not Cover Under Coverage X:
1. “We” do not cover any “bodily injury” or “property damage” intended by, or which may reasonably be expected to result from the intentional or criminal acts or omissions of, any “insured person”. This exclusion applies even if:
a) such “insured person” lacks the mental capacity to govern his or her conduct;
b) such “bodily injury” or “property damage” is of a different kind or degree than intended or reasonably expected; or
c) such “bodily injury” or “property damage” is sustained by a different person than intended or reasonably expected.
This exclusion applies regardless of whether such “insured person” is actually charged with, or convicted of, a crime."

wheatpuppy has a new favorite as of 07:32 on May 5, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i lack the vocabulary. i just know that id have to have a car liability insurance if i had a car

the rest is taken care of, in the first world anyway (sorry i cant help it)

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

The idea about mandatory liability insurance for car owners is not to protect your own rear end, but other people’s asses.
So if you wreck somebody else’s poo poo with your car, them receiving money for the damages is guaranteed, even if your reckless rear end is also a broke rear end.

Assssssss

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wheatpuppy posted:

Well I mean here's the basic info from Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_insurance

Home insurance, also commonly called homeowner's insurance (often abbreviated in the US real estate industry as HOI), is a type of property insurance that covers a private residence. It is an insurance policy that combines various personal insurance protections, which can include losses occurring to one's home, its contents, loss of use (additional living expenses), or loss of other personal possessions of the homeowner, as well as liability insurance for accidents that may happen at the home or at the hands of the homeowner within the policy territory.

I will see if I have actual contract language as an example.

Edit: Here is an example from a TX contract. It doesn't set any limits on the location of an incident, just the liability.

"Section II—Family Liability And Guest Medical Protection
Family Liability Protection–Coverage X
Losses We Cover Under Coverage X:
Subject to the terms, conditions and limitations of this policy, “we” will pay damages which an “insured person” becomes legally obligated to pay because of “bodily injury” or “property damage” arising from an “occurrence” to which this policy applies, and is covered by this part of the policy."

And here's the bit that could be used to exclude Door Dude, depending if it is determined that he could reasonably expect his actions to cause damage.

"Losses We Do Not Cover Under Coverage X:
1. “We” do not cover any “bodily injury” or “property damage” intended by, or which may reasonably be expected to result from the intentional or criminal acts or omissions of, any “insured person”. This exclusion applies even if:
a) such “insured person” lacks the mental capacity to govern his or her conduct;
b) such “bodily injury” or “property damage” is of a different kind or degree than intended or reasonably expected; or
c) such “bodily injury” or “property damage” is sustained by a different person than intended or reasonably expected.
This exclusion applies regardless of whether such “insured person” is actually charged with, or convicted of, a crime."

Policy Territory refers to the covered property, the policy is completely bounded by the borders of your personal property (i.e. the land, house and any structures) This does not extend it cover events that occur at any other location.

The only thing I know of (which I exercised once) is a portable electronics rider, which covers theft and breakage of personal and portable electronics like a phone or laptop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s kind of lovely that you can have a piece of glass in a place that is open to the public, expect that object to be handled by the public, but if they break it lol whoops it may cost more than you make in a year and you’re liable for it.

:can:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

It’s kind of lovely that you can have a piece of glass in a place that is open to the public, expect that object to be handled by the public, but if they break it lol whoops it may cost more than you make in a year and you’re liable for it.

he's a lawyer and it's an apple store they are both in the wrong somehow.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

It's not like Apple doesn't already have form:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I simply cannot see that as anything but a single shattered glass panel hanging from a free-standing L-shaped support and surrounded on all four sides by a tape barrier.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pookah posted:

I simply cannot see that as anything but a single shattered glass panel hanging from a free-standing L-shaped support and surrounded on all four sides by a tape barrier.

I honestly thought it was an art installation at first

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Somehow I doubt he makes less than $20k a year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This particular guy may have deserved it.

I’m just saying that to a certain extent, if you put an unassuming, expensive, and fragile object in public, that’s on you. It should be considered negligent.

If I have a Ming vase in my home, I’m using it to hold bumbershoots, and a guest breaks it, how can I expect them to pay for it? I didn’t warn them of its immense value. I should have had the vase behind bulletproof glass and the bumbershoots in a tin pot.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

What the gently caress is a bumbershoot

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

il_cornuto posted:

What the gently caress is a bumbershoot

It’s like a brolly, a parapluie, or a gamp.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Do you live in a fantasy book?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Platystemon posted:

Nah, more like a suarim, or a vourerre. It's also sorta nimferesque, although lots would debate me on that. They'de be wrong, of course, but there you go.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aesop Poprock posted:

Do you live in a fantasy book?

Let me put it this way:

In my reality, this guy is the leader of the free world.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pick a better author IMO, This one is can't write a character arc to save his life.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo the implications of the storyline are so despairing that the only joyful moments of paying attention are the insanely badly written plot twists

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So George R.R. martin without the intriguing plot structure and world crafting.

E: still plenty of horrible incest, allegedly.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

pidan posted:

Knives, Knives, Knives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZNkz1V5ahU&t=29s

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Let me put it this way:

In my reality, this guy is the leader of the free world.
Huh, in mine he's just in charge of the US. The free world mainly laughs at him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

So George R.R. martin without the intriguing plot structure and world crafting.

E: still plenty of horrible incest, allegedly.

yea p much, the incest reveal wont come until next term season

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Huh, in mine he's just in charge of the US. The free world mainly laughs at him.

It's true that the President of the United States of America wields no power or influence outside of his own borders, so the rest of the world is safe to laugh about it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

actually we laugh in the hopes that he will freak out and nuke the poo poo out of the planet

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The rest of the free world after Putin put his dick in the US election:

:stonklol:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It's true that the President of the United States of America wields no power or influence outside of his own borders, so the rest of the world is safe to laugh about it.
The laughter masks our tears.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

actually we laugh in the hopes that he will freak out and nuke the poo poo out of the planet

The Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: [leans forward] Mr. President... have you tried turning it off and back on, again?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's true the President wields power outside of his country's borders, but don't pretend he's the leader of anyone but you. Your presidents are your mistakes and your mistakes alone. Don't foist any of this onto the rest of us.

also the secret is that you haven't had a president that wasn't a terrible mistake, ever

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
There was that time we elected a wrestler

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My country elected a furniture salesman who's almost as corrupted and venal as Trump.
There seem to be a distinct lack of qualified world leaders as of late.
(Europe doesn't count according to the news media)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Who's a good head of state or government?