Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Finally saw my first Khan event. He was nice enough to spawn on the opposite side of the map so naturally I thought "great, now I get to freely visit my closest neighbours and stuff their organic pops into Happy Pods (TM)".

No such luck. The Khan proved to be a complete wet fart, dying of Space Scurvy after about 12 years. He used the time he was given to conquer a totall of six planets and vassalize a whole single empire. After his death the heirs didn't even have a courtesy to have a nice civil war, they remain a single six-planet empire with a vassal state twice their size.

I thought about supporting their independence, but then I remembered they once made the ones-and-zeroes quip at me, so gently caress'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Black Pants posted:

Maybe something other than loving 'build 4 mining stations' mandates promised at the Pan-Galactic Election of 2480. They're interesting for like the first couple of decades of an empire, and then just become annoying popups after each election, because it's always build either mining or research stations. Why not, like, 'grow the fleet by 10%' or 'fully upgrade a starbase' or 'gain income of x amount of energy credits'?

They should add a bunch and make the other authorities not boring trash.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Black Pants posted:

Maybe something other than loving 'build 4 mining stations' mandates promised at the Pan-Galactic Election of 2480. They're interesting for like the first couple of decades of an empire, and then just become annoying popups after each election, because it's always build either mining or research stations. Why not, like, 'grow the fleet by 10%' or 'fully upgrade a starbase' or 'gain income of x amount of energy credits'?
<stellaris install location>\common\mandates\00_mandates.txt

There's a bunch in there, but they're all disabled except the stations ones. There's even a "build ships" one. You'll see some of the disabled ones are pretty unworkable given the depth of the diplomacy layer in the game, I expect when the diplomacy revamp comes (keep the faith!) Democracy will get a bunch of mandates, so any work put into them now would be seen as wasted dev time.

Now to be That Guy and suggest an Expanded Mandates mod

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Democracy is dead...

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

<stellaris install location>\common\mandates\00_mandates.txt

There's a bunch in there, but they're all disabled except the stations ones. There's even a "build ships" one. You'll see some of the disabled ones are pretty unworkable given the depth of the diplomacy layer in the game, I expect when the diplomacy revamp comes (keep the faith!) Democracy will get a bunch of mandates, so any work put into them now would be seen as wasted dev time.

Now to be That Guy and suggest an Expanded Mandates mod

Welp. That mod looks pretty good.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Democracy is dead...

Funny you say that, because in one game I got so sick of the popups that I hard-shifted the entire politics of my empire into authoritarian dictatorship.

Since then I've only played either gestalt consciousnesses or dictatorships.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I literally don't think I've played a single game with a democracy except maybe my first run before I made a new race every time I play. I like oligarchy and empire a lot

edit: I just remembered a bug in my current game. It doesn't affect anything, but there's a LARGE planet in the galaxy map that won't go away

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 5, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Are election candidates supposed to be limited to just your hired leaders? Because that always seems to be the case and it always incentivizes me to never change from my starting ruler until they die if I can help it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Are election candidates supposed to be limited to just your hired leaders? Because that always seems to be the case and it always incentivizes me to never change from my starting ruler until they die if I can help it.

If you're talking about oligarchy, it chooses 4 leaders you have already (I'm not sure what the algorithm is tho)

edit: democracy might be the same but alas, I haven't played it since my first game and don't remember

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only true democracies are unified consciousnesses

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The Unity boost from democracy is actually pretty good, especially if you're running a tall empire. The other ones just sort of don't do anything. Imperial and Dictatorship are essentially the same thing and Oligarchy just occasionally still takes an important leader at an inopportune time for no real benefit.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I literally don't think I've played a single game with a democracy except maybe my first run before I made a new race every time I play. I like oligarchy and empire a lot

edit: I just remembered a bug in my current game. It doesn't affect anything, but there's a LARGE planet in the galaxy map that won't go away

That happens to me every time I terraform or destroy a planet and it goes away upon save and reload. It's also there uselessly in every system if you look.

It's annoying.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

RedSnapper posted:

Finally saw my first Khan event. He was nice enough to spawn on the opposite side of the map so naturally I thought "great, now I get to freely visit my closest neighbours and stuff their organic pops into Happy Pods (TM)".

No such luck. The Khan proved to be a complete wet fart, dying of Space Scurvy after about 12 years. He used the time he was given to conquer a totall of six planets and vassalize a whole single empire. After his death the heirs didn't even have a courtesy to have a nice civil war, they remain a single six-planet empire with a vassal state twice their size.

I thought about supporting their independence, but then I remembered they once made the ones-and-zeroes quip at me, so gently caress'em.

I get the Great Khan every game it seems, or at least my last three that have made it to the 2300s. The first time was my first encounter with him, and he spawned close but went after other empires before dying about 30 years in. The second time he spawned right next to me RIGHT after I had my fleets decimated so I surrendered to him before he took my first station. Then after about 15 years I had enough fleet power built back up to raid his home system and dunk on him twice, while the bulk of their fleets were elsewhere. Third game I'm in right now he's on the other side of the galaxy with no wormholes nearby to me so it'll be fine.

Now the benevolent observer fallen empires, those guys are total fuckers that have also woken up three games in a row. And every time they're close to me. Last time I was somewhat prepared and drew them into a white peace giving up a single lovely star system with 3 energy. This time when ~2390 rolls around I'm going to have my entire fleet right at the border and shove 250k of fleet power with a World Cracker down their throats. Should've stayed asleep, jerks.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Is there something wrong with warscore now? I'm clearly winning a war and have like 7 system occupied of an an enemy and they still have like 20% more warscore than me despite them always emergency jumping out of big engagements and losing 7 systems.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are they in a federation? I found that one out the hard way, you need to stomp their buddies involved in the war too.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Are they in a federation? I found that one out the hard way, you need to stomp their buddies involved in the war too.

I'm in the only federation and one of the other members voted for war and I accepted. They had a defensive ally though, but he's missing systems too from another member in my federation. There is 0 chance they are winning any part but I'm taking massive "attrition" score even though I've only like like 5 vettes and some destroyers?

edit: I'm dumb, that % on the war icon is WE not warscore? I'm too use to EU4 I guess

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 5, 2018

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The funniest thing in Stellaris is imagining the giant political rallies with people carrying signs like "Build Exactly Four Mining Stations NOW"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Best Friends posted:

The funniest thing in Stellaris is imagining the giant political rallies with people carrying signs like "Build Exactly Four Mining Stations NOW"

Party activists running around knocking on doors and handing out leaflets. The badges they are wearing say "Re-Elect President Fleet Consciousness!" and "Fleet Consciousness 2420"

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Best Friends posted:

Trillions of people on a dozen planets have made up their minds. Every mineable rock in the galaxy already has a station in orbit, but the want more. Four more.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Update on my Sanctuary ringworld experience because I know you were dying for it:

Infiltrating one culture so that we can take them over from the inside. Enlightening two others so that they get to the point that we can infiltrate them and take them over as well. The remaining culture needs to be brainwashed into being more like us so that we can then enlighten them, and then infiltrate them and take them over.

This is perfectly fine and in keeping with my space lizards who are dedicated for forcibly liberating the galaxy.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Enlightening doesn't advance them in tech phases, AFAIK. You'll finish enlightening and they'll just turn into an AI player.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Your best bet is to find one that's likely to just invade and enslave the rest, enlighten them, then integrate once they're done being fuckos

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

AFashionableHat posted:

Enlightening doesn't advance them in tech phases, AFAIK. You'll finish enlightening and they'll just turn into an AI player.

Correct. It's the worst. "Oh I'll just cancel enlightening these caveplantmen at about 90%, that should be enough tech for me to infiltrate." Wrong, it just shoved them back to caveplantmen.

Also if you're getting that giant planet that won't leave, it's a terraforming issue. If you leave the system partway through the animation of a planet terraforming, or a gas giant transforming to barren, then you can get a big annoying planet that follows you to the galaxy map and every other system. Jump back to the original terraforming system and it should fix it. If you don't know which system that is, save and reload.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

AFashionableHat posted:

Well poo poo. I think I'm going to leave it and see how the game handles it seeing as our infiltration mission succeeded and we now control one of the ringworld segments.

... or I could just say gently caress it and invade the bastards.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This is caused by terraforming or firing a Colossus at a planet. Go into the system that planet was in and it'll go away. Alternately, save and reload.

EDIT: poo poo, beaten several times over.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 5, 2018

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
Well, the Democratic Horde never declared war on me. Not sure why, because they've claimed most of my planets over the years.

And I think they did lose some of their fleet power over time, but it was over decades.

I started a war against an overwhelming purifier empire that ate up my only real friend in the galaxy, but couldn't save them. I was very sad. The democratic horde has its borders closed to me, and I wasn't able to take the short route, instead had to fly to a distant wormhole and enter the purifier space from the back door. Literally, it leads to a dead end system at the far side of their empire on the edge of the galaxy.

They didn't see my back door surprise coming!

Now, I have a bunch of angry mushroom people that I've had to spread around my empire to avoid rebellions. I took the cyborg perk, and those purifiers really didn't like being assimilated. I guess it's okay for them, but not okay for me.

Pfft. Whatever.

Eat poo poo, mushroomheads!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

So those marauders near my borders went full on great khan, I lost about a 1/3 of my population/economy, but I killed the motherfucker (well beat him twice) and made the khanate break up and form a new country, with all my stuff still, and not at war. And my federation is pissing about with some stupid loving war they can't win by themselves half way around the galaxy and I can't change my policy to aggressive wars (had to change it to get my first federation member) while at war to get my loving land back!

I think I'm big enough I can probably solo the remnants of the khans but I can't do poo poo till they slowly stalemate the war I didn't even want to enter (I voted no)

Also I did the worm in waiting event or w/e and holy poo poo my species are loving amazing now, and having that tomb world thing gave me so many more options for colonizing

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There should be shrouded worlds that can be found in L-clusters, the aftermath of a desperate psionic civ contacting the end of the cycle for power, and dooming everyone in the galaxy.

The survivors quarantined the shroud avatars and shrouded worlds behind the L-gates.

That would be cool.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Hot Karl Marx posted:

And my federation is pissing about with some stupid loving war they can't win by themselves half way around the galaxy and I can't change my policy to aggressive wars (had to change it to get my first federation member) while at war to get my loving land back!

I'd have to double check, but if you have the Liberation War policy you SHOULD be able to to declare Impose Ideology wars, and if you status quo peace on one of those while holding your territories (which you should have an automatic claim for because duh), you should get your stuff back. I'm not sure if you take claims if you managed to successfully push the Impose Ideology wargoal, though.

Might want to hear from other players who've mucked around more with Impose Ideology tho.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Spanish Matlock posted:

The Unity boost from democracy is actually pretty good, especially if you're running a tall empire. The other ones just sort of don't do anything. Imperial and Dictatorship are essentially the same thing and Oligarchy just occasionally still takes an important leader at an inopportune time for no real benefit.

So running non-democracy is sort of a 'get other civics' in exchange for losing the mandates and stuff. Having a good ruler that lives for a really long time lets you take advantage of +leader levels better. If you're running slavery you pretty much are forced into Imperial or Dictatorship (no democratic for authoritarian).

The difference between Imperial and Dictatorship is that Dictatorship lets you avoid a ruler you don't care for, instead you can pick between 4 (less risky). Imperial is really good if you're doing a lot of vassalizing, since they can get a civic to greatly reduce liberty desire in subjects (-50%). Both of them can get +2 ruler level which is a good increase to unity and unrest reduction. If you take authoritarian-spiritualist you can start with +25% edict duration.

Oligarchs can get +1 energy from trading hubs (and private colony ships) which is really, really big, and most of the democratic civics are also open to them (the only two that aren't is the +15% unity or +25% faction influence gain).

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Tomn posted:

I'd have to double check, but if you have the Liberation War policy you SHOULD be able to to declare Impose Ideology wars, and if you status quo peace on one of those while holding your territories (which you should have an automatic claim for because duh), you should get your stuff back. I'm not sure if you take claims if you managed to successfully push the Impose Ideology wargoal, though.

Might want to hear from other players who've mucked around more with Impose Ideology tho.

I'm in defensive wars only I'm pretty sure, I can't really play till tomorrow so I will double check then but I'm pretty sure I couldnt declare war at all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

So running non-democracy is sort of a 'get other civics' in exchange for losing the mandates and stuff. Having a good ruler that lives for a really long time lets you take advantage of +leader levels better. If you're running slavery you pretty much are forced into Imperial or Dictatorship (no democratic for authoritarian).

The difference between Imperial and Dictatorship is that Dictatorship lets you avoid a ruler you don't care for, instead you can pick between 4 (less risky). Imperial is really good if you're doing a lot of vassalizing, since they can get a civic to greatly reduce liberty desire in subjects (-50%). Both of them can get +2 ruler level which is a good increase to unity and unrest reduction. If you take authoritarian-spiritualist you can start with +25% edict duration.

Oligarchs can get +1 energy from trading hubs (and private colony ships) which is really, really big, and most of the democratic civics are also open to them (the only two that aren't is the +15% unity or +25% faction influence gain).

The best is spiritualist democracy until you get a chosen one. Then the god emperor/empress protects.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Am I missing something or are the scourge missiles the best explosive weapon option? The ones you reverse engineer that is. They appear to be double the normalized dps of even devastator torps.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

That is definitely more than a little annoying. Thankfully I only have access to total war as a driven assimilator, so even though my enemy forced a status quo peace he still lost the 1/3 of his empire I had overrun. Though now EVERYONE hates me due to Threat, so I am sure it won't be long before I have to take a bite out of someone else's territory.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Am I missing something or are the scourge missiles the best explosive weapon option? The ones you reverse engineer that is. They appear to be double the normalized dps of even devastator torps.
No, they pretty much are. But you can only get them from fighting and surviving the prethoryn scourge, and they happily use them right back at you in the meanwhile, so it makes sense.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Korgan posted:

Correct. It's the worst. "Oh I'll just cancel enlightening these caveplantmen at about 90%, that should be enough tech for me to infiltrate." Wrong, it just shoved them back to caveplantmen.

The enlightenment mechanics are pretty dodgy from a plausibility perspective. Like what are you even doing if bailing out means they go on as whatever tech level they were when you started?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anything ever come of the 'person doing the observing leaves their weapon on the surface' and 'dude decides to become a god of the natives' events? ..are they even vanilla events or modded events? I don't really know the difference at this point.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The "Guy decides to become a god" event is vanilla, and doesn't really have any good outcomes, although some are less bad than others.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Does anything ever come of the 'person doing the observing leaves their weapon on the surface' and 'dude decides to become a god of the natives' events? ..are they even vanilla events or modded events? I don't really know the difference at this point.

This one? https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Observation_events#The_Great_Pyramid

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

So using your planet cracker on a sterilization hub doesnt count as killing the contingency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Huh. I had this happen while I was enlightening the planet and maybe I just clipped the three months or something because no war happened after, though I feel like it was a lot longer than that. Dude declared himself a god and said he'd cast out my observers and become the ruler of a great new empire or something and then nothing else ever happened.

Edit: wait no it was the Missing Scientist one.