Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Joe Posnanski on the player who has a surprisingly good chance to reach 3000 hits despite never making an All-Star Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My favorite Pujols thing is how he broke his forearm in 2011 and missed like, 2 weeks

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/GoYardGoats/status/992504061936242688

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I really don't see it. He'd have to keep producing at his current rate until his age 40 season, and there are very few players in history to have done that.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 5, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Markakis has racked up more WAR this season to date (1.9) than he has in any single full season since 2011. Which is kind of wild, but it's not like he's way beyond his career BABIP norms or anything (career .317, this year .330). I dunno.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Yeah he's having a good offensive season this year, but he's got to have 5 more straight good offensive seasons after this one to make 3K.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Markakis also had significant neck surgery three or four years ago, there's no telling if or when it will go bad again.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Hot take incoming: I think it's dumb for the whole team to go out and celebrate a milestone in the middle of an inning. It was fine for Barry's 756th, until they give him a mic.

I also have opinions on the DH and what a hot dog is and is not, which are as follows

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Plus if (when) he loses a step in the outfield he's going to find it harder to find playing time at first (and also to even get signed).

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Well I'm from New Haven and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "steamed cheeseburgers"

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Tom Gorman posted:

Well I'm from New Haven and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "steamed cheeseburgers"

It's a regional dialect.

Julio Cruz posted:

I really don't see it. He'd have to keep producing at his current rage until his age 40 season, and there are very few players in history to have done that.

Believe in the honey bear

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Talking about Pujols reaching the 3,000H/600HR club, it looks increasingly unlikely that Miguel Cabrera will reach 600HRs, which is surprising.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pos also tried to convince people Jeter was going to catch Pete Rose in hits.

I mean, Jeter had a ton of hits, but come on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

Posnanski is also a Paterno truther.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Markakis is cool and I like him a lot but theres no way he's anything above replacement level in a couple years so hes not getting 3000

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Posnanski is also a Paterno truther.
I guess it helps if you get paid to write a book about the guy

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The Cubs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, the Dodgers no-hitter was only the 12th combined no hitter ever thrown?

I mean it makes sense that there would be less of them because why take a pitcher out, I'm just surprised that there are so few of them. Assuming that stat is true at least, I saw it on Deadspin.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

When did he say that? This is the only article i can find where he talks about Jeter breaking the record and he is, uh, not optimistic about his chances.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/05/26/derek-jeter

Maybe he said it to Pete Rose one time to get Pete wound up and ranting but I don't think he seriously believed it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

When did he say that? This is the only article i can find where he talks about Jeter breaking the record and he is, uh, not optimistic about his chances.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/05/26/derek-jeter

Maybe he said it to Pete Rose one time to get Pete wound up and ranting but I don't think he seriously believed it

I remember it mainly from his blog back when I used to read his blog. I can't find anything anymore either, so I might be putting words into his mouth. Or it was on his older blog that just disappeared at some point since he had no idea what he was doing and lost a bunch of stuff.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GeneX posted:

The Cubs.

I'm already tired of Tyler Chatwood.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, the Dodgers no-hitter was only the 12th combined no hitter ever thrown?

I mean it makes sense that there would be less of them because why take a pitcher out, I'm just surprised that there are so few of them. Assuming that stat is true at least, I saw it on Deadspin.

I mean, its kind of a flukey thing. 9 times out of 10 the SP throwing a no hitter probably gets a chance to lose it himself. In the circumstances where he's pulled anyway you still need the bullpen to finish it even though it doesn't even really mean anything historically anymore. Its really something that's just gotta kind of happen.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Shohei meeting Ichiro

http://imgur.com/gallery/xvkoKW1

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 6, 2018

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

I'm already tired of Tyler Chatwood.

Going into today, Chatwood had a 2.83 ERA, but a 1.465 WHIP, so you knew poo poo was eventually gonna go south. Morrow also was due for an implosion and he delivered impeccably.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Going into today, Chatwood had a 2.83 ERA, but a 1.465 WHIP, so you knew poo poo was eventually gonna go south. Morrow also was due for an implosion and he delivered impeccably.

Yeah Chatwood was incredibly lucky. Averaging almost a walk an inning now. Just tired of walks. See if Montgomery will throw strikes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I'm drunk as gently caress and still mad about the cubs so thank you for posting this because it's :unsmith: as hell and I needed it.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Hey Inspector, did you get an Aaron Judge Jedi bobblehead yesterday? This is important if I'm going to go to the game early in 2 weeks to get you a Hawk Harrelson/Han Solo bobblehead.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

the Rockies.....can pitch?

holy crap the Rockies can pitch.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

:3:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I like how not one Dodgers fan poster ITT even mentioned the no-hitter. It’s like it didn’t even happen or was a fluke because it was in May-Hee-Co, against SD.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dodgers posters already headed to the parking lot on this season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus, the O's are 8 - 24. How long until Duquette starts bidding against himself to sell off everyone?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I mentioned Buehler is good. That counts binch.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/992956564385353729

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
lol do his legs not work, or something?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Comptroll The Forums posted:

lol do his legs not work, or something?

D-Backs have a bullpen cart this year

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

that sure seems like a problem:

https://twitter.com/pedromoura/status/992961782254682113

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
He'd shake his fist, but that might create a blister

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bruce Bochy recently got on twitter

https://twitter.com/BruceBochy/status/992955841866121216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Is six tweets the record to the blue checkmark verification

Every two weeks at work I have to explain at a meeting why we don't have a blue checkmark yet even though we're an SEC institution. I'm gonna say it's been 3 years of trying

Dammit Bochy

• Locked thread