Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

St Evan Echoes posted:

i didnt watch the andrew garfield spiderman movies

They're...interesting messes. Most of the cast in both movies is really good (Garfield is my favorite Peter Parker and my favorite Spidey, Stone absolutely knocks it out of the park) and there's a story worth telling, but especially in the 2nd movie it gets chopped up to near incoherence and overloaded with too much villains, subplots and ham-fisted attempts to start a cinematic universe.

fart blood posted:

It's unfortunate because the movie he was in was so inconsistent. Edward Norton, William Hurt, and Tim Roth were excellent casting (though the Americanized Emil Blonsky triggers the long time Hulk fan in me :mad:), but then you got the weird as gently caress casting of Liv Tyler as Betty and the even weirder Modern Family Dad as Leonard Samson. Then you get the goofy looking fake as hell Hulk CGI, and well the movie just fell apart, sadly.

More or less. It's also kind of a bummer the MCU has never used Tim Roth again.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
One other thing about the 2008 Hulk movie I liked....The Leader tease. :neckbeard:

One other thing about the 2008 Hulk movie I hated....The use of Mr. Blue as an alias, which was a reference to the single dumbest plot twist in the Bruce Jones Hulk run, which I'm so glad David retconned.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Ragnarok has gotta be my fave mcu movie. Can Taika Waititi direct more MCU movies please, thanks.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Can Taika Waititi direct more MCU movies please, thanks.

And also star in them :xd:

And also more Mark Mothersbaugh.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

we all agreed that deadpool was an awful try-hard turd of a movie yeah?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'll let it slide if we disagree on childrens films, the likes of which are rated "pg-13" but you have no idea what i'm prepared to do if you gently caress up once we slip into my [R]ealm.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im watching ragnarok right now

jeff goldblum is amazing
holy gently caress cate blanchett

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I like most of the MCU (the one's I don't like are Thor 2, Age Of Ultron, and Iron Man 2)

Honestly Dr. Strange and Ant Man rank pretty high in my favorites

I love the music in Dr. Strange which is a good counter to people who say Marvel movie's don't have good memorable soundtracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg

Ant Man is just really fun and I'm glad Edgar Wright left since a lot of his ideas for the movie were kind of blah and a lot of the fun stuff in that movie were made when he left.

VJeff posted:

Ed Norton was loving awesome as Hulk, I really miss him. Apparently he was tough to work with, though.
Yeah he's one of those actors who tries to control the movie, his character in Birdman is basically just an exaggerated version of himself.

St Evan Echoes posted:

I thought it was great and did Deadpool the right way, being more like the Kelly run of the character rather than the monkey cheese bullshit that Daniel Way made him which nearly ruined his character until Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn were given a go at.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
How’s Marvel Unlimited?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

While we’re on the subject Xavier Woods is (a) a cop (b) loving cancelled https://twitter.com/xavierwoodsphd/status/992844134342852608?s=21

also Deadpool was bad imo, should’ve toned down the drama a lot more

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

St Evan Echoes posted:

It’s good with a bunch of dumb poo poo in it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

It's hard to say which I'm less interested in right now, Deadpool 2 or Solo

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Venomous posted:

While we’re on the subject Xavier Woods is (a) a cop (b) loving cancelled https://twitter.com/xavierwoodsphd/status/992844134342852608?s=21

This stems from a convo where Woods says what if Cpt Hook was actually the good guy, aka the second most boring movie take around

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

It's hard to say which I'm less interested in right now, Deadpool 2 or Solo

Definitely Solo. Star Wars is absolutely NOT the series to do this yearly franchise stuff with or at least not the way Disney is doing it right now, where it's literally all tied to the OT. I thought Force Awakens and Last Jedi were both pretty darn good, but these other movies are diluting the crap outta the franchise.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

I'm curious, what expectations did you have before watching a movie called Deadpool?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought the Deadpool movie was good.

Welp, that’s my take.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

VJeff posted:

Definitely Solo. Star Wars is absolutely NOT the series to do this yearly franchise stuff with or at least not the way Disney is doing it right now, where it's literally all tied to the OT. I thought Force Awakens and Last Jedi were both pretty darn good, but these other movies are diluting the crap outta the franchise.

Lmao at anything diluting Star Wars at this point

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Want a galatic hot take my one of my favorite marvel things is probably Agents of Shield.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

VJeff posted:

Even though I liked rogue one I have to agree

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WrasslorMonkey posted:

I'm curious, what expectations did you have before watching a movie called Deadpool?
Exactly what I ended up thinking about it. I got dragged along by buddies

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My wife, one of the biggest X-Men fans I know, preferred Pride + Prejudice + Zombies over Deadpool, saying it was a lot funnier. Then again, she also prefers X-Men Origins: Wolverine over Iron Man 3.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I love movies but I never got super into the Marvel universe. I saw all the phase 1 films and thought they were good, but the only one of those I'd rewatch is Captain America. During phase 2 I realized Marvel movies weren't really doing anything for me and I quit before Avengers 2 came out.

A lot of the phase 3 stuff sounds really interesting, but most of the praise I've seen about it from people I know is similar to the praise for the movies I was ok with and didn't care much about. Dr. Strange and GotG2 sound most appealing because I hear they go for some crazy awesome visuals. The spoilers I've heard for Infinity War make it sound like it'd be my thing, but the overwhelming consensus I've heard from friends is that you need to see a good portion of the phase 2 and 3 films in order for a lot of moments to have the emotional weight and satisfaction that are causing the praise. Friends are trying to get me to see it but paying $12 for a 3 hour film with characters who are established in previous films that I'd need to see in order to feel a connection to and which I already have no interest in seeing is a pretty big ask.

re: Deadpool - I liked Kelly's original run with the character but have never cared much for the stuff after. Kelly did a good job reconciling what the character became with the character as Kelly established him. I appreciate that a lot, but it left the movie feeling kinda uneven to me. Overall it wasn't my thing but the parts I liked I really liked.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 5, 2018

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
The only MCU movies I didn’t like were Thor 2: The Dark World and Iron Man 3.

The Dark World has an insanely generic and forgettable villain and Chris Hemsworth didn’t have a strong enough supporting cast outside The Warriors Three to carry the film. Both problems were fixed in Ragnarok which was great.

Iron Man 3 just upset me with the whitewashing of The Mandarin. He was one of my favorite comic villains when I was a kid and one of the few prominent Asian characters I could identify with as a Filipino/Chinese person, and is just part of that generally irritating Hollywood trend. And I LIKE Guy Pearce a lot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's an actual Mandarin in the MCU, apparently. I'd say at this point it's unlikely he shows up in an actual movie, though. Seems like it was just to throw a bone to comic fans.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Iron Man 3 just upset me with the whitewashing of The Mandarin. He was one of my favorite comic villains when I was a kid and one of the few prominent Asian characters I could identify with as a Filipino/Chinese person, and is just part of that generally irritating Hollywood trend. And I LIKE Guy Pearce a lot.

So obviously I have no perspective here as a white dude but man the OG Mandarin always struck me as so cartoonishly racist I have no idea how they would put him in a movie

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

I had intended to play Tyranny (and the new Torment) before Pillars 2, but time just kept getting away from me.

Tyranny I liked but is also in the "got pretty far in and stopped playing" pile. It's got some really fun ideas to it though, and it's really refreshing to play on the side of evil and make evil choices whenever you want, or to RP it as being totally fair and following the rules and only occasionally doing evil with it. Also lets you side with one of two factions and then basically right away you can decide to be on your own side and make enemies of both of them, or you can side with one and betray them later to be on your own, and I think (though I'm not sure) you can side with one and then betray them down the line to switch sides. Anyway at basically any point you can start messing with allegiances and it's pretty cool that way. Some fun lore to it too. If you do pick it up I recommend you make your main character a warrior, since in a weird choice the only heavy armor wearing guy is literally permanently encased in his armor, at least as far as I recall, so that opens it all up to you. You miss out on the fun magic crafting stuff first-hand, but you get two mages and can make custom spells with them too.

Torment I also liked, not the most interesting battle/encounter system but the lore was fun and lots of optional quests to do.

Now that I've talked about Tyranny so much I got the itch, so time to dive back into the sucker! I had to practically wipe my drive since I played it (though most my of saves in various games survived), so here's hoping they're still there!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So obviously I have no perspective here as a white dude but man the OG Mandarin always struck me as so cartoonishly racist I have no idea how they would put him in a movie

You can have him be an asian character without falling into the racist stereotypes/art style he used. If nothing else he could have been a chinese business rival of Stark who invents the ring tech instead of it's alien comic origins. I read a comic not too long ago that had the individual rings go out and give people their power kind of green lantern style, so you could have him do the same with some lackeys and then he calls them all back to him for the big final battle.

It's kind of a weird thing where I want someone with the wild ring powers but not the racist baggage that comes with the character. I don't really mind how they did it in Iron Man 3 though, it was a pretty wild misdirect and Marvel's got so many insane villain characters that they had to do that idea at some point, and I can't picture doing it much better than they did.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 5, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I am the only one that liked Prometheus aren't I?

Prometheus is a movie I love and will defend a lot, despite some obvious missteps. I though it was gonna be a really fun kick off point for an exploration of an alternate angle on the Aliens universe, one that didn't actually really feature the titular aliens themselves at all outside of that brief cameo at the end of Prometheus.

Then I saw Covenant..... hooo boy now THAT is a loving terrible movie. :sigh:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

My wife, one of the biggest X-Men fans I know, preferred Pride + Prejudice + Zombies over Deadpool, saying it was a lot funnier. Then again, she also prefers X-Men Origins: Wolverine over Iron Man 3.

Holy poo poo Cobi. I know she's your wife but woof that is some questionable taste.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Holy poo poo Cobi. I know she's your wife but woof that is some questionable taste.

She’s always been a fan of action-horror so I can’t fault her. A little DP does go a long way.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah those are some pretty hot takes Cobi. I expect I liked Iron man 3 and Deadpool more than the average person, but I don't think my view was off by that much.

Still hoping that the Fox purchase goes through so I get to see all my marvel toys in one cinematic playbox, may as well let Disney have that entertainment monopoly. I can't get mad at a company getting into a near monopoly status by putting out consistently good products and not screwing up, I'll take that every time over any given merger of cell phone or cable companies where competition has actually had an impact on improving prices and customer service and kept it at only mostly terribly cust. service instead of always terrible.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean Wolverine is bad but it's not like Iron Man 3 is particularly great or anything.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

NowonSA posted:

Yeah those are some pretty hot takes Cobi. I expect I liked Iron man 3 and Deadpool more than the average person, but I don't think my view was off by that much.

Still hoping that the Fox purchase goes through so I get to see all my marvel toys in one cinematic playbox, may as well let Disney have that entertainment monopoly. I can't get mad at a company getting into a near monopoly status by putting out consistently good products and not screwing up, I'll take that every time over any given merger of cell phone or cable companies where competition has actually had an impact on improving prices and customer service and kept it at only mostly terribly cust. service instead of always terrible.

Better idea, move all comic characters into the public domain

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Iron Man 3 works way better if you pretend it's a sequel to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

(I love IM3 but I'm also a noted Shane Black mark)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Better idea, move all comic characters into the public domain

I've seen DeviantArt, this is a baaaaaad idea :ohdear:

Edit: Iron Man 3 is great and I'm still confused that it apparently has a bad reputation. Especially considering that Iron Man 2 exists.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

As soon as I found out that Iron Man 2 was p much Atlas Shrugged With Superheroes all of my interest in the film flew out the window tbh

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Tyranny I liked but is also in the "got pretty far in and stopped playing" pile.

Yeah, this was my experience too. I liked it but too many strong games came out not long after I started and I got distracted. It is really fun to talk about the character choices you can make in Tyranny, as well as discovering which character choices you weren't able to make due to how character creation works. You'll be asked about your backstory, and given options of how to respond to things. Which influences the next question about your backstory, and the next, etc. And all the answers you choose also change how people react to you. This does mean its possible to have items you can't get in some playthroughs. There's a significant magic rune you can only get one of two ways, one of which depends on backstory choices and the other is a choice you can make in the tutorial area.

That game comes across so replayable, I really need to get back to it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

go pens go jets :siren:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

I've seen DeviantArt, this is a baaaaaad idea :ohdear:

My dude you and I both know that if people wanna draw Taskmaster doing butt stuff with Captain Cold, there’s no copyright law in the world that will stop them

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

All I want is a Luc Besson New Gods movie, jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Ragnarok the Red posted:

The only MCU movies I didn’t like were Thor 2: The Dark World and Iron Man 3.

The Dark World has an insanely generic and forgettable villain and Chris Hemsworth didn’t have a strong enough supporting cast outside The Warriors Three to carry the film. Both problems were fixed in Ragnarok which was great.

I just thought Iron Man 3 was terrible, ridiculous, boring, pointless garbage. I was surprised to find out anyone liked.

Only part I really remember from Thor 2 was Darcy calling Thor's hammer "mewmew" again, which made me laugh.