Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't it about a black kid beating up chinese kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've seen the first but not sure about the second. Which one is the one where he goes to Japan, Part III?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen the remake. Naturally I've seen the first three a bunch. I've seen the Hillary Swank one a weird number of times.

I'd probably check out this show if it were on a streaming service i cared to pay for. But it isn't so ah well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Karate Kid is like 34 years old.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think that's III, yeah. Then IV is Hilary Swank, right?

e: re japan

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Japan is 2, I think. 3 is where Daniel goes dark and bonsai trees die or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
1 is the original and best. 2 is Japan but the prologue has Kreese smashing windows and loving his hands up pretty bad. 3 has KARATES BAD BOY and Thomas Ian Griffith who should have been a huge loving start because he's loving hilarious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, my memory is 2 has Miyagi punk Kreese in the parking lot and then Cobra Kai go away and Daniel and Miyagi go to Japan and do their thing. Then 3 they're back and Daniels mom has disappeared and Kreese comes back to get Cobra Kai revenge and turn Daniel evil and kill bonsai trees.

I just really remember bonsai trees being a big part of the film.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've seen the first but not sure about the second. Which one is the one where he goes to Japan, Part III?

The second one

I feel you definitely need to have seen Karate Kid and at least the first 10 minutes of Karate Kid 2 (since it picks up immediately after the first one goes to credits) in order to really get all you can out of Cobra Kai.

Watch all three though because Terry Silver's villain in the third one is a gift to humanity.

I genuinely enjoy all three movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The second one

I feel you definitely need to have seen Karate Kid and at least the first 10 minutes of Karate Kid 2 (since it picks up immediately after the first one goes to credits) in order to really get all you can out of Cobra Kai.

Watch all three though because Terry Silver'svillain in the third one is a gift to humanity.

I genuinely enjoy all three movies.

YES THOMAS IAN GRIFFITH

EVERYBODY WATCH HOLLOW POINT

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was ten when Part II came out, and everyone was walking around in England drumming out of sync with den-den daikos.

It was like the yo-yo craze in 1989...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

I was ten when Part II came out, and everyone was walking around in England drumming out of sync with den-den daikos.

It was like the yo-yo craze in 1989...

Can confirm, my Grandmother bought me one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

1 is the original and best. 2 is Japan but the prologue has Kreese smashing windows and loving his hands up pretty bad. 3 has KARATES BAD BOY and Thomas Ian Griffith who should have been a huge loving start because he's loving hilarious.

My favorite part of 3 is that Kreese's "old army buddy" is younger than Ralph Macchio

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also remember a lot of people trying to catch flies with chopsticks. Karate Kid was really a big cultural moment that it doesn't feel like it in hindsight. I guess because it kind of came and went and didn't have like a crazy fanbase and conventions and world of fan fiction and stuff. It just made a bunch of kids sign up for Tiger Schulmann.

Also Space Camp made my sister obsessed with going to... space camp, I guess.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 6, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

My favorite part of 3 is that Kreese's "old army buddy" is younger than Ralph Macchio

Ralph Macchio is immortal and THOMAS IAN GRIFFITH IS THE GODDAMNED BEST

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gotham season finale lookin' sick as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2SioiMDbA

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

Gotham season finale lookin' sick as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2SioiMDbA

It is a triumph of talent that Cameron Monaghan turned out to be so good in his original bit part that he transitioned to full cast and the show ended up almost revolving around him.

I've read that allegedly he wasn't supposed to be the Joker or anything similar, but that a running season plot would be Joker-likes that did crazy and insane things but were all separate people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

The best part of 3 is how it continued this weird 80s trend of "evil karate dojo owner"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do they ever explain why the Jaden Smith one is called Karate Kid when he's learning kung fu in China? If the movie producers think they are all the same then they should make a sequel called Thai Kwon Do.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Name recognition for ticket sales.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Um Cobra Kai is really loving good so far (halfway through).

It really is fantastic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

3 also has the very same scenes of Kreese smashing windows and loving his hands up. Cobra Kai's greatest failure is that they actually cut that one little part of his breakdown in the parking lot.

3 is a treasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ldb4Do-j04

Rocksicles posted:

Why the gently caress have you grown rear end adults not seen Karate Kid or Karate Kid Part II.

I wasn't even born when any of these movies were in the popular consciousness, grandpa.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

I wasn't even born when any of these movies were in the popular consciousness, grandpa.

Get off my goddamned lawn

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MiddleOne posted:

*quietly calls the HUAC Silent Witness hotline for all the heretical communism i’m seeing*

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

3 also has the very same scenes of Kreese smashing windows and loving his hands up. Cobra Kai's greatest failure is that they actually cut that one little part of his breakdown in the parking lot.

3 is a treasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ldb4Do-j04

If you've seen Aliens, Predator or Blade Runner. you have zero excuses

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cobra Kai is so good (I'm on ep 6) that I paid for Youtube Red. I mean it's really, really fuckin' good and I don't have any nostalgia for the original movies (mostly because I don't really remember them too well)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rocksicles posted:

And if you haven't seen Aliens, Predator or Blade Runner, you're in for a treat.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

That's a very wide net. Aliens is a TV re-run classic and one of the most famous horror movies of all time. Same can't be said for Predator which is more unknown (I only saw it a few years ago) and as for Blade Runner I still haven't gotten around to watching it because everyone tells me that it's good but really slow and dull for the most part. It literally never ran on TV as I grew up either, which makes sense because it wasn't exactly a huge commercial success.

Karate Kid is just one out of dozens of popular coming of age 80's movies. I didn't see Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day Off either until way after growing up. We had our own movies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rocky is the better version of Karate Kid anyway

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Two of the guys from Predator went on to become governors of states. Also Carl Weathers did Hot Ice with Anne Archer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MiddleOne posted:

That's a very wide net. Aliens is a TV re-run classic and one of the most famous horror movies of all time. Same can't be said for Predator which is more unknown (I only saw it a few years ago) and as for Blade Runner I still haven't gotten around to watching it because everyone tells me that it's good but really slow and dull for the most part. It literally never ran on TV as I grew up either, which makes sense because it wasn't exactly a huge commercial success.

Karate Kid is just one out of dozens of popular coming of age 80's movies. I didn't see Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day Off either until way after growing up. We had our own movies.

Sounds like your parents are just LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bentacos posted:

Two of the guys from Predator went on to become governors of states. Also Carl Weathers did Hot Ice with Anne Archer.

That's what you remember Carl Weathers from? Get out of here.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

Same vintage though, i'm not after going down a imdb rabbit hole trying to find movies from +|-1984

That said. Watch some classic movies you gently caress.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

imo watch more classic movies so you can join us in mocking those who haven't.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Heaven forbid if you haven't seen Casablanca or something ....

for real tho heaven forbid

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Heaven forbid if you haven't seen Casablanca or something ....

for real tho heaven forbid

Esta casa blanca?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was/is Ralph Macchio a legit martial artist? I remember reading this story years ago about how, after Karate Kid blew up, he tried to compete in a karate tournament and got beaten handily, but at the same time, I've heard he was a genuinely good karateka, so maybe that was just some mid-2000s Internet urban legend.

The only other thing I know William Zabka from is The Equalizer.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The best part of the Karate Kid is when he tells that one dude to ‘stay gold’.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Karate Kid is not the universally beloved, must-see classic that Rocksicles thinks it is. Especially not today when martial arts aren't really in the popular consciousness. It's a solid flick, but I couldn't begrudge anyone for not having seen it. I'm sensing a good amount of nostalgia-blindness here.

Also, I think I'm definitely at that age where teenagers today have utterly different cultural touchpoints than I do. I still keep up a bit, but it makes me wonder what sort of nonsense that's aimed at that demo is going to be considered classic in 15 or 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

Karate Kid is not the universally beloved, must-see classic that Rocksicles thinks it is. Especially not today when martial arts aren't really in the popular consciousness. It's a solid flick, but I couldn't begrudge anyone for not having seen it. I'm sensing a good amount of nostalgia-blindness here.

Also, I think I'm definitely at that age where teenagers today have utterly different cultural touchpoints than I do. I still keep up a bit, but it makes me wonder what sort of nonsense that's aimed at that demo is going to be considered classic in 15 or 20 years.

If you make a top 20 80's movies and it's not on the list, you need to ankle Fame or Flashdance.