Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Tonfa posted:

Naito's promo is a serious pro click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9521nKeIkVg

Perfect tranquilo cadence the entire time while, y'know, just casually bleeding everywhere

Yeah, his shtick is still pretty loving great. Jericho could have cut his leg off above the knee, and Naito would just use that as an opportunity to lay down and show how tranquilo it feels to be missing a leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Japan's Japanese Youtube channel has a video with alternate Camera shots and more shots of Jericho when he went back stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOYrFNSge_c

Him going in a cab to drive away was just A+ awesome

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn that is so great. Can't wait to see the photos.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I really really need to catch up on Dontaku, because it sounds up to the usual NJPW amazing standard.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They have the Okada post match subbed too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0am7-lXaus

The story of Okada chasing his one draw and getting sucked into a match that may favor Kenny is such a good story. So hyped for this match
When Okada was naming the guys he beat, the translator that night made it seem like Okada didn't want to fight Kenny again after the draw ("Kenny... don't want to do that again" is what the translator went with rather than just "Kenny... draw" like the video) which made it seem a bit odd when Okada calls Kenny out right after.

Do they schedule less matches than usual for Dominion, knowing that the title match is going over an hour? Or do they not really care about how long the show might go?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

iPodschun posted:

When Okada was naming the guys he beat, the translator that night made it seem like Okada didn't want to fight Kenny again after the draw ("Kenny... don't want to do that again" is what the translator went with rather than just "Kenny... draw" like the video) which made it seem a bit odd when Okada calls Kenny out right after.

Do they schedule less matches than usual for Dominion, knowing that the title match is going over an hour? Or do they not really care about how long the show might go?

Could be that they don't have an IC title match and use Jericho/Naito to sell tickets for the Cow Palace. Or do another squash match like Sakura Genesis last year (Taichi squashing Goto and Elgin please)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Omega and Okada doesn't HAVE to go an hour. It's gotta go like 45 minutes, sure, but just because there's no time limit doesn't mean it has to exceed the normal one.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Gaz-L posted:

Omega and Okada doesn't HAVE to go an hour. It's gotta go like 45 minutes, sure, but just because there's no time limit doesn't mean it has to exceed the normal one.

quote:

NJPW The Island Deathmatch
Sun, Oct 4th 1987
Antonio Inoki def. (TKO) Masa Saito Island Deathmatch 125:42

:thunk: one more record...

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

iPodschun posted:

How do you do sports (adjacent) translation and not know what 引き分け means?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Baron Corbyn posted:

Could be that they don't have an IC title match and use Jericho/Naito to sell tickets for the Cow Palace.
Make it for the title and give it Jericho so he can claim he's a 10-time Intercontinental Champion. Take that, Miz!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

:thunk: one more record...

Coney Island Deathmatch

The thought of both guys being helicoptered into a empty theme park to beat the poo poo out of each other is enticing

Takuan
May 6, 2007

dordreff posted:

the last IWGP record left is most individual reigns; Tanahashi held the belt 7 times, tights-grabbing pervert Little Kazu is still only on his 4th. also, he started this reign at Dominion 2016 so it's a good time for him to lose it to Kenny, then win the G1 and take it back at the Dome.

he's still definitely going to win but it makes sense that he has to lose it sometime

Me, several times over the past 2 years: This is a perfect time for Okada to drop the belt, let someone else run with it for a while, then win the G1 then get it back at the dome.
Also me, several times over the past 2 years: Okada is an unbeatable living god and I am OK with that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Make it for the title and give it Jericho so he can claim he's a 10-time Intercontinental Champion. Take that, Miz!

Putting the title on Jericho isn't even that unfeasible. The next scheduled defence wouldn't be until September anyway if they follow last year's calendar.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gaz-L posted:

I think you kind of have to if you're also doing a 2 out of 3 falls stipulation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They make it for the title, Naito lays down immediately and lets Jericho pin him for the stupid belt he doesn't want. They then brawl post-match for 30 minutes.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Gaz-L posted:

They make it for the title, Naito lays down immediately and lets Jericho pin him for the stupid belt he doesn't want. They then brawl post-match for 30 minutes.

What I really want with these Jericho matches, especially after the Kenny match, is basically falls count anywhere style brawl around the arena matches.

Also this match should be at Cow Palace. They have two mega matches teed up now and Dominion doesn't need both. Kenny/Okada sells out and gets a ton of interest all by itself.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dominion is the second biggest single show of New Japan's year, they're going to have the IC title on the line there, because every title except the six-man tag belts will be defended. It'd be like having the WWE or Universal title skip Summerslam, it's just not going to happen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jericho winning and having Tanahashi challenge him for the Cow Palace to defend New Japan would be a pretty great match if Jericho wants to work it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And if I was Jericho, I'd be looking to work the new Four Musketeers and then peace out back to WWE for one last real run.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Juice ripping apart Jay White here is pretty great

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/992802634494042114

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
was juice just transformed at the Dojo, or was he always pretty good and WWE just didn't know what they had?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

He came in with no special attributes but a strong work ethic and drive to improve, so definitely just a better fit for NJPW.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wwe guys always spoke highly of him they just saddled him with a dead-end gimmick. thats when nxt was all hand jive emma and adam rose and ~characters~

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Desert Punk posted:

was juice just transformed at the Dojo, or was he always pretty good and WWE just didn't know what they had?

NXT Florida crowds, which by and far are the dumbest mouthbreathers outside of NY ROH crowds(you cheered for Bully Ray in 2017 shut up), wisely didn't buy a midwest dude as a surfer type. Then they tried this environmentalist thing and it was too high concept. Other than the funny CZW promo he wasn't on anyone's radar and some ppl were genuinely perplexed how he got a NJPW spot. I didn't get it either, until his G-1 run where he worked his rear end off. I didn't catch it live and already knew the outcome, I was still excited and pumped when Juice scored his first G-1 win. He's got that John Cena's Never Give Up babyface thing really working for him.

He's also smarter than expected because he's super limited himself on social media while still staying visible in NJPW media. So he can maintain that hardnose come from behind babyface shtick without the inevitable disaster having a 24/7 feed into his mind.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Juice had "good hand" status as CJ Parker, which as we all know in WWE is the kiss of death. He was used as the tar to be steamrolled by Owens on his way in, which I think was one of the last times he worked in NXT? But pretty much all of his character work was developed there, which is why he has the leg up on the other young lions. He learned presentation from Dusty Rhodes and Regal and people like that and went to Japan, declined skipping straight to the main roster - because that was the original offer, just to come straight into the company - to go be a young boy for a year and learn the style and live in Japan and integrate, which seems to have ingratiated him with a shitton of people in the locker room and in the office. Okada, Tanahashi, Liger, Makabe, Kenny, they all love the kid. That he has huge appeal to women (oh my god is there a puro fujoshi contingent out there that drools over Juice, they're 100% the reason his merch has centered around his butt cheek tattoo; it's not contained to just the gaijin hunters, either) and children probably helps, too.

Now I kinda wanna go dig up last year's thread and read the reactions to the Shocka in Osaka.

Ah, here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826987&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post475060880

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oh boy my post just before the JUICE posts did not age well *tugs collar*

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Cameo posted:

Now I kinda wanna go dig up last year's thread and read the reactions to the Shocka in Osaka.

Ah, here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826987&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post475060880

Both Juice and Kenny's reactions to the finish were fantastic, went a long way in selling that upset.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think part of why I like the dude so much is that his gimmick is basically 1995-6 Shawn Michaels, who was lil Gaz's favourite wrestleman back when.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Juice just diving on Red Shoes and being like "is it real? Was that three? Did I win?" and Red Shoes sitting up, looking directly at Kenny, and just pointing at Juice right as his music kicks in and Osaka is like "HOLY poo poo" is a real miraculous happenstance of timing.

There's also that great shot as Kenny is pissed in the ring with the US belt at his side and the camera's just zoomed in on it, like "hey, Juice has a right to challenge for this now".

And then like forty minutes later, EVIL pins Okada and it's like "what the gently caress is even going on". August 5th was a good G1 night, probably my second favorite night next to the final. That was such a goddamn good tournament.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Juice beating Kenny and Evil beating Okada. What a night that was.

I know it's probably unfair to expect this year's tournament to beat last year's, but, drat, dude. Taking last year's tournament and adding Switchblade and somebody else (Taichi? Finlay?) sounds pretty loving crazy.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 6, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Juice just diving on Red Shoes and being like "is it real? Was that three? Did I win?" and Red Shoes sitting up, looking directly at Kenny, and just pointing at Juice right as his music kicks in and Osaka is like "HOLY poo poo" is a real miraculous happenstance of timing.

He did something similar in the New Japan Cup when he hit the frog splash on Tana and Tanahashi kicked out at like 2.999. Just grabbed Red Shoes in desperation, like "That was three! Tell me that was three? I've got nothing left if it wasn't three..."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Juice is great at selling desperation. When he hit Pulp Friction on Kenny in the US title match in Kobe and Kenny kicked out, Juice looked like he had just found out he dropped a nuke and it turned out to be a dud.

So then his only thought process is "well I should hit it from the top rope!" and Kenny does the One-Winged Angel from there in a reversal to put him away, which is kind of great because Kenny even going for it that way sells how much of a threat he was buying Juice as.

edit: going back and watching the kickout, Kenny even sells in his kickout, jerking up like it's a spasm of instinct and immediately blacking out again.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 6, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I love that match because it's like, Juice Robinson is a babyface, he's an honorable guy, he doesn't care that Kenny Omega got knee surgery, he's gonna wrestle this title away from him!

And then like five minutes in, he's like "Dude, I ain't wrestling this title away from him." and delivers the most dastardly chop block of all time.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

And the crowd loving hates him every time he goes after the knee because they like Juice, he's a good boy, and good boys don't chop block the knee! They don't stomp at it! It's about as harsh a reaction as when Kushida did the Danielson stomps to Hiromu at Dominion last year. New Japan crowds really like a babyface to be as white meat as they can get.

Between that and the suplex off the apron with Juice sounding like he'd crawled out of a car wreck for the next minute or so, and the Pulp Friction kickout and the Super One Winged Angel , that match is some high drama.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tell me more about the 'gaijin hunters'

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Super No Vacancy posted:

tell me more about the 'gaijin hunters'

Think Yoshi Tatsu except loving

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The most interesting thing about the current landscape is there doesn't seem to be much place for Suzuki, ZSJ, Ibushi or Tanahashi at Dominion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

The most interesting thing about the current landscape is there doesn't seem to be much place for Suzuki, ZSJ, Ibushi or Tanahashi at Dominion.

I mean.

Ibushi and Tanahashi vs. Suzuki and ZSJ sounds like a good match to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
*Ibushi wins the British Tag Team titles*

"Lost in Brighton. Help."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh jesus christ, RoH is coming to Michigan next week and it's gonna have Hiromu vs. Cody. :stare: