Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That rear end in a top hat that murdered an Indian engineer in Kansas after telling him to get out of his country is getting life in prison

https://i.imgur.com/UdB1tAQ.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Good. gently caress that piece of poo poo

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

psydude posted:

Usually? How about suppressing test results or settling with surviving family members out of court under strict non-disclosure agreements.

This is exactly what Tesla (and uber) has done with a number of autopilot adjacent deaths and incidents, they also rely on murky and non-independent testing methods and have an automatic callhome function if anyone tries to do any independent testing on their software or hardware.
Tesla's issue isn't the technology, it's their leadership and the application of what they do. They're trying to reach Step X while only having the foundations to do steps A-F.

The technology behind the autopilot is nowhere near mature to be marketed and sold to the general public, and Musk doing his winks and nudges playing at being Tony Stark heavily undermines what his actual engineers are trying to make work.

Tesla is insisting on doing everything the hard way, and in the flashiest manner they can in order to boost investor story time. Musk is a more grounded Elizabeth Holmes, and his backers are getting fed up with his poo poo. The threats to the company are now fiscal, logistical, practical, and managerial, and the competitors are taking their time to make alternate options the right way.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Immanentized posted:

This is exactly what Tesla (and uber) has done with a number of autopilot adjacent deaths and incidents, they also rely on murky and non-independent testing methods and have an automatic callhome function if anyone tries to do any independent testing on their software or hardware.
Tesla's issue isn't the technology, it's their leadership and the application of what they do. They're trying to reach Step X while only having the foundations to do steps A-F.

The technology behind the autopilot is nowhere near mature to be marketed and sold to the general public, and Musk doing his winks and nudges playing at being Tony Stark heavily undermines what his actual engineers are trying to make work.

Tesla is insisting on doing everything the hard way, and in the flashiest manner they can in order to boost investor story time. Musk is a more grounded Elizabeth Holmes, and his backers are getting fed up with his poo poo. The threats to the company are now fiscal, logistical, practical, and managerial, and the competitors are taking their time to make alternate options the right way.

I don't disagree with you on a lot of these points, but Mr. Nice's assertion that other car companies follow the rules was as laughable as suggesting that Wells Fargo is just trying to provide great service to their customers.

Tesla gets a lot of hate because Musk is a very public figure. But let's not forget that GM's chief executive pulled the exact same poo poo a couple of years ago with the starter solenoid fiasco. The only difference is that she did it in a very boring fashion.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 6, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m not saying other car manufacturers are completely innocent. Far from it.

Other car manufacturers generally have union shops, though, and aren’t afraid to paint things in yellow despite safety requirements because it might upset the boss.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m not saying other car manufacturers are completely innocent. Far from it.

Other car manufacturers generally have union shops, though, and aren’t afraid to paint things in yellow despite safety requirements because it might upset the boss.

I disagree with this statement as well. The chief reason why so many auto manufacturers have been building plants in the south is because they can use contract or non-union labor. Their safety record for their plants is abysmal, too.

You just don't hear about it because they've woven a supply chain web that protects them from liability.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

psydude posted:

I disagree with this statement as well. The chief reason why so many auto manufacturers have been building plants in the south is because they can use contract or non-union labor. Their safety record for their plants is abysmal, too.

You just don't hear about it because they've woven a supply chain web that protects them from liability.

This too is a good point, coupled with your response my post I think the defining factor is that musk plays everything close to him and his person, which makes these screw ups that much bigger.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m not saying that other auto makers are good. They’re poo poo.

Tesla is a special breed of poo poo.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/04/18/tesla-osha-investigation-worker-safety

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Godholio posted:

As soon as the range makes EVs relevant.

poo poo, my mustang doesn't do much better than 200 miles to a tank

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't think I could go electric, I love my car and truck and the noises they make

I love listening to music in the car (or audiobooks) and having quiet car would make it even better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RFC2324 posted:

But refilling it doesn't take 10 hours.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Neither do quick charging stations. It's not 2008 anymore, and it's not gasoline fast, but EVs can fill up in about a leisurely meal.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

RFC2324 posted:

Doesn't take 6+ hours to fuel up for another 200 miles though

Wasabi the J posted:

Neither do quick charging stations. It's not 2008 anymore, and it's not gasoline fast, but EVs can fill up in about a leisurely meal.

That depends on where you are though, not everywhere has quick charge stations

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
All you need to do is drop in some gas powered generators alongside the green berets and their electric dirtbikes or whatever and it's good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't think I could go vehicular, I love my horse and mule and the noises they make

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think socom is currently playing with a diesel hybrid dirt bike right now

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wasabi the J posted:

Most major areas have this option and it's been my experience. You just need to spend an extra 2-3 minutes planning and can't use it for road tripping. Realistically, in that case you are using a second vehicle anyways. The EV drawbacks are more habits that need to be adjusted for a large majority of the driving most people do.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/993180870067544069

lmao

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Is Donnie's hair progressively thinning? We usually see grey on the POTUS by now but I think he's just straight up losing the little bit he has left.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wish he'd just wear a rug. I'd actually respect that more.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If he goes to prison he'll lose access to whatever pathetic rich guy poo poo he's doing to his head.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Casimir Radon posted:

If he goes to prison he'll lose access to whatever pathetic rich guy poo poo he's doing to his head.

Propecia isn’t exactly expensive.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Rich guy poo poo? Didn't his doctor reveal that he's using rogaine or something dumb like that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

he's definitely thinning up top

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Propecia isn’t exactly expensive.
He's probably done some transplants too. I also don't know that they're going to let him use over the counter stuff in prison.

He had a scalp reduction in the early 90s that didn't work out and he flipped out and raped Ivanna because he was mad about it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Like Donald Trump is ever going to see the inside of a prison

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Trump hired an Israeli Intel firm to dig up dirt on Biden/Obama to sour the Iran Nuclear Deal

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/05/trump-team-hired-spy-firm-dirty-ops-iran-nuclear-deal

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s also the same firm Harvey Weinstein used to run discrediting operations on his accusers/reporters trying to break stories about him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Trump hired an Israeli Intel firm to dig up dirt on Biden/Obama to sour the Iran Nuclear Deal

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/05/trump-team-hired-spy-firm-dirty-ops-iran-nuclear-deal

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
...there's no possible way that's surprising to you, right?

e: that's fair enough

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 6, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

surprising? maybe not

bizarre and hosed up? definitely

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

We're talking about special forces in the field, how about you?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Casimir Radon posted:

He had a scalp reduction in the early 90s that didn't work out and he flipped out and raped Ivanna because he was mad about it.

Jeeeeesus :stare:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
lol Donnie's nominee for CIA almost pulled out

https://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/993184411326795777?s=19

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Too bad Fred didn't.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Immanentized posted:

Too bad Fred didn't.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Immanentized posted:

Too bad Fred didn't.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man how awkward would it be to recognize your Dom as the head of the CIA. Like how to do you approach that subject.... Would she just beat you harder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope she enjoys being humiliated in front of the world.

• Locked thread