Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Labo doing well

everything I've seen of it looks extremely cool to me but I could see it not selling at all

All we get real numbers for is jpn and uk

Jpn it sold 90k first week, doubling gow's sales. But in both jpn and uk regions stores only sold 30% of the stock they received.

So it sold strong to early adopters but seemingly not as big of a launch as retailers thought if they have dozens of boxes piled up still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

XC2 is a really good game and I feel bad for initially dismissing it for its silly character designs. It’s really fun.

Gonna have to try XC1 soon. I know the combat is really different (more emphasis on positioning and less on timing, I think?) but I want more Xenoblade drat it.

Hope for a switch rerelease of XCX.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can’t believe Charli XCX’s next album is a console exclusive.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Labo doing well

everything I've seen of it looks extremely cool to me but I could see it not selling at all

It's not doing well. Being the most Nintendo product ever, it's struggling to sell even in Japan.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There should be zero surprises that it wouldn't sell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Incredible, nobody wanted to buy a bunch of cardboard boxes they could put their Switch in.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm excited for the labo stage in smash for switch

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I got the Capcom/Sega Humble Bundle

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finally hooked my Switch up to my 4K TV. Splatoon 2, and Disgaea 5 goodness on the big screen. :homebrew:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I'm now level 6 in Divinity OS1 and really enjoying this game. I read up on the recommended character builds, but have otherwise tried to play without consulting a guide or anything. I also rebound quicksave/quickload to z/x and it's been great. The orcs on the beach by the cave still gently caress me up bad, but I haven't tried since my whole party leveled up. any advice?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm looking at the cardgames that are not too dollar-intensive and work both on PC and iPad and it seems like there's now a myriad options, anyone know a recent-ish tl;dr on that?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I got the Capcom/Sega Humble Bundle

It's an insanely good deal. I don't even own a PS4 yet but picked it up because why wouldn't I want a copies of Resident Evil and Mega Man 1-6 for when I do

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Jade empire contains one of the worst shmups ever made its insane it wasnt cut from the final build and instead made optional

Hellgate: London was the king of incongruous lovely minigames. I think it had a shmup, a turret section and an RTS all within a few hours of each other and the were all terrible. And I actually liked the game in general.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

banjo tooie had a bunch of multiplayer score based games sprinkled into the single player for some raeson

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if the F2P version of Hellgate is still going

lol people bought lifetime subs to that for like $150 before it even came out

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you ranked hobbies based on how poorly people spend their money video games are probably like top 5

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*stares at pile of unopened games* you don't say

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

If you ranked hobbies based on how poorly people spend their money video games are probably like top 5

in terms of popular hobbies and the general population representing it, I’d say top, full stop.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Help Im Alive posted:

This reminds me of a joke about boat ownership:

If you want to know what it's like to own a boat, stand in a shower and rip up $100 bills.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think so. Maybe bottom 10 but video games (especially in the West) are seen as largely disposable. The people who dump a ton of money into microtransaction games are playing those games almost exclusively.

My dad probably put my entire college fund into Lionel trains and I've seen people get evicted with their mountain of Warhammer figures.

As long as you follow Guybrush's advice on buying video games it's probably the cheapest hobby.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

idk classic hobbyist hobbies like woodworking, model building or stamp collecting and poo poo are really expensive too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh there's some continuity.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Help Im Alive posted:

people buy sportscars and poo poo lol

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
At least stamps and cars are real things. If you have a huge digital backlog of games you’re buying licenses to poo poo you don’t necessarily own that you don’t have time to play.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Digital games also cost less than the price of lunch not 100,000 dollars + monthly upkeep

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

:pcgaming: is a stupid expensive hobby and I would heartily recommend making a six-figure income and/or never having children so that you can keep up on the hottest releases.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The former might be a problem but no worries on the latter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

frankly i'd just recommend never having children full stop

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

univbee posted:

in terms of popular hobbies and the general population representing it, I’d say top, full stop.

Drugs exist

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Digital games also cost less than the price of lunch not 100,000 dollars + monthly upkeep

Yeah city col is so high games feel cheep

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

Drugs exist

Combine w/ games ftw

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder if the F2P version of Hellgate is still going

lol people bought lifetime subs to that for like $150 before it even came out

Last I looked several years ago lol no, it went down in 2016.

A small studio is working on Hellgate: Revival though, multiplayer only.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 6, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There was another big MMO failure that came out around Hellgate, Pax Romana or something? Everyone thought they could do paid subscriptions at the height of WoW's popularity and it killed a lot of prestige projects.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Hellgate: London was the king of incongruous lovely minigames. I think it had a shmup, a turret section and an RTS all within a few hours of each other and the were all terrible. And I actually liked the game in general.

I remember all of this now! That game was so loving horrible. I remember there was one final update that was planned to be released that made the game way better, but then the dev studio shut down so it never saw the light of day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You have to admire the forward-thinking grift of Hellgate: London and its "lifetime" subscription. Recent innovators like EA have improved on the concept by selling $199 super-deluxe mega hype editions of Mass Effect: Andromeda (game not included).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel like I'm cheating in The Evil Within 2 doing the shooting challenges with a mouse. I have no idea how you're supposed to do the hardest one without memorizing the exact locations but I'm loaded up with 20,000 goo and a million weapon parts without trying.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

Drugs exist

i don't think drugs is a hobby

Real hurthling! posted:

Combine w/ games ftw

this is though

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oddium posted:

banjo tooie had a bunch of multiplayer score based games sprinkled into the single player for some raeson
Tooie (And DK64 also I guess) really went all-in on excess. Everything is bigger and there's always more of whatever (More moves, more transformations, more visits between worlds etc.), though its always not to the game's benefit.

After replaying the games when the 360 ports came out, I think the more streamlined experience of Kazooie holds up better.

EDIT: Hell Tooie 360 even added more fuckin Stop 'n' Swop.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 6, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i don't think drugs is a hobby
they definitely are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

al-azad posted:

I feel like I'm cheating in The Evil Within 2 doing the shooting challenges with a mouse. I have no idea how you're supposed to do the hardest one without memorizing the exact locations but I'm loaded up with 20,000 goo and a million weapon parts without trying.

Yeah RE4 was the same, it was ridiculously easy on the PC or Wii versions.

Also I really like how both Evil Within games don't even try to explain how bottling up green goo from corpses somehow makes Sebastian a better person.

• Locked thread