Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

he said favorite wrestle stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Do it ironically posted:

I’ve never heard of a single women’s wrestling Fed in Japan or seen a match, but I know of NJPW and have watched matches before

I highly doubt your typical international wrestling fan could either, but if they were on say, the largest Japanese wrestling company for international exposure they would be able to

And that nothing but a great thing for Japanese women’s wrestlers

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

DarkstarIV posted:

Pretty sure most joshi if they have boyfriends keep it very secret because holy poo poo their fans shower them with gifts. Io has posted pictures on her blog of numerous gifts she's gotten, and some range from small things like snacks to incredibly expensive things like a macbook (:psyduck:), and other various electronics/clothes/jewelry. It helps that the majority of their income comes from those fans as well.

Them having a boyfriend would be seen as a kiss of death for their career most likely. Because autograph sessions, photographs, handshakes, etc are all items they tend to charge for. It was discussed in the women's wrestling thread, but Io charged a king's ransom for her newest photobook, which probably wouldn't have sold as well if people learned she had a boyfriend/husband/fiancee.

So a Maria/Mike gimmick would make a joshi wrestler a mega heel?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So a Maria/Mike gimmick would make a joshi wrestler a mega heel?

No, it would most likely outright kill their career. Because most joshi don't make much money from shows. The majority of income comes from merch sales. I think Kris Wolf only made like $250 per STARDOM show, which isn't a livable wage.

Speaking of joshi, Io portrayed Golgo 13 in the latest Janken tournament, while Bea was Will Osprey?

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/992972959852580865

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dipping is insanely gross. my brother's done it for a decade and hes got gums and teeth like a ren and stimpy close-up. and you don't even get the benefit of being able to pose coolly looking out into the distance with a cigarette in your mouth like an episode of law and order svu. you just look like a jackass. with gross teeth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

No, it would most likely outright kill their career. Because most joshi don't make much money from shows. The majority of income comes from merch sales. I think Kris Wolf only made like $250 per STARDOM show, which isn't a livable wage.

Speaking of joshi, Io portrayed Golgo 13 in the latest Janken tournament, while Bea was Will Osprey?

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/992972959852580865

Did Priestly do a stupid flip and land on her head after picking rock?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Lovin' these twitter posts from all my favorite wrestle stars

Time to make a "NJPW is sexist just like KSA" thread

Took me way too long to figure out he wasn't dipping cold turkey meat in something.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Gaz-L posted:

Did Priestly do a stupid flip and land on her head after picking rock?

Probably not.

In other news, some of the pictures STARDOM posts on their twitter account captures how great the heel work is of some workers.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/993054515824766981

Case in point:

Question of the day: Would Triple H be proud or ashamed of Kagetsu and Hazuki spitting water in poor Momo's face?

But here is an actual wrestler tweet. Big rear end is just as bad at tweeting as he is at wrestling.

https://twitter.com/BigCassWWE/status/992844215901196288

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 6, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For anyone skipping to this last page, to summarize the last 2 pages: Women’s wrestling in Japan is so respected they have to sell bikini pictures to make a living wage.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hey I'm someone who doesn't watch women's wrestling in Japan and I'm not actually interested in it but I want to make everyone think I'm really concerned about it. I won't watch any streaming service and I won't click on any links to a YouTube video. Is there anything for me?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

DarkstarIV posted:

But here is an actual wrestler tweet. Big rear end is just as bad at tweeting as he is at wrestling.

https://twitter.com/BigCassWWE/status/992844215901196288

listen i play a lot of GTA too cass but i dont call myself a superstar

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bambino means baby.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Hey I'm someone who doesn't watch women's wrestling in Japan and I'm not actually interested in it but I want to make everyone think I'm really concerned about it. I won't watch any streaming service and I won't click on any links to a YouTube video. Is there anything for me?

posting in a something awful thread

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
there are plenty of legitimate things to criticize NJPW for as far as how they treat women, with the rear end-shots and PIETER and everything, so going straight to "why don't they book women in a country where women's wrestling has traditionally drawn and thrived on its own" is pretty hilarious

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

https://twitter.com/WWEDanielBryan/status/993194632942145537?s=19

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

there are plenty of legitimate things to criticize NJPW for as far as how they treat women, with the rear end-shots and PIETER and everything, so going straight to "why don't they book women in a country where women's wrestling has traditionally drawn and thrived on its own" is pretty hilarious

Excuse me we've moved on, we're criticizing the entire country of Japan now.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Aphrodite posted:

Excuse me we've moved on, we're criticizing the entire country of Japan now.

o poo poo I'm sorry

they have bad beer

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bloodysabbath posted:

Since Joshi wrestlers seem like they’re basically wrestleman idols, do they have the same kind of “if you get caught so much as looking at a guy with longing, let alone loving or dating him, your entire career ends and you are publicly shamed” thing hanging over their heads?

Joshi is a lot more chill than it used to be. At one point it had stricter rules because the age of the girls was well below consent and they were out all night in fast places(and also, dreaded patriarchy). poo poo, Io getting caught up in NOSAWA's drama didn't even turn any heads or affect her positioning. I also believe she has a daughter but that's hearsay with no confirmation. Japan protects celeb's personal lives a lot better than the US does. By the same hearsay, my understanding is that there are more than a handful of married and/or child raising joshi wrestlers.

General comment: don't be dumb about stuff. forums posting gives you plenty of time to do your research. People complaining about KSA/GRR women's representation are being exponentially loving dumb. KSA is a bad place and no company in their right mind should do business with them. They execute people for weird reasons, bad scene. The only reason the US tolerates them is because we've hosed over Iran so much and we need a voice on the OPEC council to keep gas under $4/gal.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

Joshi is a lot more chill than it used to be. At one point it had stricter rules because the age of the girls was well below consent and they were out all night in fast places(and also, dreaded patriarchy). poo poo, Io getting caught up in NOSAWA's drama didn't even turn any heads or affect her positioning. I also believe she has a daughter but that's hearsay with no confirmation. Japan protects celeb's personal lives a lot better than the US does. By the same hearsay, my understanding is that there are more than a handful of married and/or child raising joshi wrestlers.

General comment: don't be dumb about stuff. forums posting gives you plenty of time to do your research. People complaining about KSA/GRR women's representation are being exponentially loving dumb. KSA is a bad place and no company in their right mind should do business with them. They execute people for weird reasons, bad scene. The only reason the US tolerates them is because we've hosed over Iran so much and we need a voice on the OPEC council to keep gas under $4/gal.

Io doesn't have a daughter. Her older sister Mio does however. Io's expressed no interest in starting a family until she retires from wrestling. :v:

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 6, 2018

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
A subpar wrestler like Big Cass calling himself the Five Star Superstar is very good

https://twitter.com/brawlerreal/status/993198202479398912
https://twitter.com/thekingnickgage/status/993194655218130944

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

When Daniel Bryan tweets you realize how badly his words would come off if not spoken by Daniel Bryan

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

Io doesn't have a daughter. Her older sister Mio does however. Io's expressed no interest in starting a family until she retires from wrestling. :v:

Whoops! That's right, I'm the idiot that didn't go back and check Io's match stats to see if she didn't wrestle for a year.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
buhhh I can only think of 2.5 major wrestling promotions in the history of Japan that featured women in their main events, and only one of those had women at actual drawing power to main event shows. FMW, DDT Pro, and HUSTLE. One was a niche deathmatch promotion and HUSTLE and DDT are niche comedy promotions. All three got regularly out-drawn by Joshi-Only promotions in the 80's and 90's. DDT Pro has opened up their own Joshi promotion which is the before-mentioned Tokyo Joshi Pro which is doing good business and has great wrestlers, that will appear on DDT Pro main shows semi regularly.

AJPW briefly tried to introduce women to their roster and it didn't pan out (They featured Cheerleader Melissa against Makoto)

New Japan and STARDOM operate in two very different ways and NJPW buying out STARDOM or raiding their roster wouldn't help either business.

coconono posted:

Whoops! That's right, I'm the idiot that didn't go back and check Io's match stats to see if she didn't wrestle for a year.
Yeah the NOSAWA stuff very nearly ended her career as well as getting her shoot name out there and strained the relationship between her and her Sister + Asuka for a long time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I had to double check to see if the Babas had anything to do with All Japan Women, but looks like the name was just a coincidence, as AJW looks like it predated either AJPW or NJPW?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/992989301163085824

:ohdear:

Also yeah, the NOSAWA stuff was a really big deal at the time, and Io is very lucky she dodged a bullet with the guy who actually framed them actually confessing. To put it in simple terms, Japan's stance on drugs (even light stuff like weed) makes Jeff Sessions look like an advocate for the legalization of it. As for Io nowadays, the worst I've heard about her is that she doesn't have a high tolerance people who refuse to learn, especially when it comes to wrestling, or people who act like massive assholes behind the scenes.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

I had to double check to see if the Babas had anything to do with All Japan Women, but looks like the name was just a coincidence, as AJW looks like it predated either AJPW or NJPW?

'68 is the official start for AJW(which was a resurrection of sorts of a previous iteration started in '55) with AJPW and NJPW splitting from JWA in '72.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ronda should probably tweet delete

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

new japan should buy WIP and have hollywood jurina and aina aiba compete to be the ace

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I’m sure that there’s no more productive way to spend a day than to go back through 5 years worth of a celebrity’s tweets to find some dirt, only to find something inoffensive.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well finger wagging ain’t it so what else ya got

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

dsriggs posted:

I’m sure that there’s no more productive way to spend a day than to go back through 5 years worth of a celebrity’s tweets to find some dirt, only to find something inoffensive.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Imagine being so in the wrestling bubble that you think that tweet is going to come back and bite Ronda now that she is in the WWE big leagues instead of just being the world's most famous mma fighter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joke's on you guys, Ghetto Donut is a chain with 28 locations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Imagine being so in the wrestling bubble that you think that tweet is going to come back and bite Ronda now that she is in the WWE big leagues instead of just being the world's most famous mma fighter.

I'm the person who is on here telling people they are stupid if they think Ronda isn't a star. But if her weird survivalist/DNA preservation tendencies and the backstage rumors going around are true tendency to tweet weird immature thoughts from 6-7 years ago is going to make a bad combo. Sorry for choosing the one that someone had just RTed on my feed.

"I am a big doomsday prepper," Rousey said this week, in a public discussion with Hollywood director Peter Berg at the Wildcard West boxing gym in Los Angeles. "I think of it as a very positive outlook on the world. Some people think it is negative. But I think as a self proclaimed genetic cream of the crop such as I am, I owe it to humanity to survive the end of the world. It's my responsibility.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 7, 2018

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, yeah, she is 100% insane and a garbage person but her career is beyond the point of anyone caring. If it didn't torpedo her when she was in MMA it isn't going to torpedo her wrestling retirement. Her attitude and garbage personhood might make her a problem in the back if she wasn't a McMahon celebrity pet project.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

:lol:

https://twitter.com/reel_politcast/status/993251658967724032?s=19

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Just reposting this tweet:

https://twitter.com/CarmellaWWE/status/989281626495602688

Because it certainly hasn't aged well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

Just reposting this tweet:

https://twitter.com/CarmellaWWE/status/989281626495602688

Because it certainly hasn't aged well.

Remember when you kept saying they were going to fire her.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ever wonder why promoters thought Tom Magee was going to be the next big thing?

https://twitter.com/NINaylor/status/993343685134831618

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This might be my favorite tweet ever.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JaimsVanDerBeek/status/993334236378644483