Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gonz posted:

Gotham season finale lookin' sick as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2SioiMDbA

I can't get over the "its before the joker" / "its not the joker" / "oh wait he is the joker" stuff. Its just too weird.

Also all these actors look like they're 13, gently caress I'm getting too old :corsair:

E: Also he does too much of an impression of Heath Ledger's Joker, it isn't enough of his own take.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They were technically telling the truth with the whole "He's not the Joker" stuff because this is a different character. (He's the first guy's twin brother.)

Edit: Also the kid who plays Bruce is like 17.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
House went up on Prime. It’s such a good show to have on in the background while you do other poo poo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

House went up on Prime. It’s such a good show to have on in the background while you do other poo poo.

"It's never Lupus".

I think my absolute favorite nerdy little detail in Cobra Kai thus far is Johnny calling out the Crane Kick for being an illegal move. That's been discussed for years and years (kick to the face should be illegal, jumping kicks should be illegal, etc). It wouldn't be a big deal because, movie, but Johnny loses a point for his illegal move, and Daniel wins with his. So perfect.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

esperterra posted:

Heaven forbid if you haven't seen Casablanca or something ....

for real tho heaven forbid

Oh God, one of my friends is a MAJOR old movie snob. Back in college folks were watching Casablanca when I wandered in. When he found out I hadn't seen it he threw a major fit about how I had to leave so I could see it properly from the start. Of course I lived next door and they had the volume up so loud I could hear everything anyway, he was just a jackass. Living proof that there's a wrong way to enjoy things.

He's mellowed with age, but definitely one of those guys you call a friend in spite of himself rather than any endearing qualities. His wife's cool though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't get over the "its before the joker" / "its not the joker" / "oh wait he is the joker" stuff. Its just too weird.

Also all these actors look like they're 13, gently caress I'm getting too old :corsair:

E: Also he does too much of an impression of Heath Ledger's Joker, it isn't enough of his own take.

I mean in the comics with the Joker there's some real question as to whether he's the same guy the whole time or not or just a guy who is so deranged that he doesn't even know or what. So the idea of "Joker" being a bunch of connected people that blurs together into terrifying myth is kinda cool, IMO.

And I'm not surprised that Ian Gallagher became the Joker.

I really need to get around to giving Gotham a try.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

you need to ankle Fame or Flashdance.

NEVER

Bruceski posted:

Oh God, one of my friends is a MAJOR old movie snob. Back in college folks were watching Casablanca when I wandered in. When he found out I hadn't seen it he threw a major fit about how I had to leave so I could see it properly from the start. Of course I lived next door and they had the volume up so loud I could hear everything anyway, he was just a jackass. Living proof that there's a wrong way to enjoy things.

He's mellowed with age, but definitely one of those guys you call a friend in spite of himself rather than any endearing qualities. His wife's cool though.

lmfao what a nerd

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

That's what you remember Carl Weathers from? Get out of here.

But he never once used his per diem.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bentacos posted:

Two of the guys from Predator went on to become governors of states. Also Carl Weathers did Hot Ice with Anne Archer.

Carl Weathers? Wasn't he the star of Action Jackson with Vanity and Sharon Stone?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Carl Weathers? Wasn't he the star of Action Jackson with Vanity and Sharon Stone?

Excuse me, this is the TV thread, so you will respect the star of the syndicated hit "Street Justice".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"How do you like your ribs?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Penny Dreadful has such a terrible title sequence. It's like a high schooler made it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Such a good show tho.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

Penny Dreadful has such a terrible title sequence. It's like a high schooler made it.

Speaking of title sequences; What is up with Netflix shows that have title sequences but skip them?

For example Lost in Space has a title sequence but only on some episodes. On others it's just the quicker title card.

What's the reasoning there? It's totally counter intuitive to Netflix platforms strengths.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would imagine for creative reasons. Maybe whoever was putting the episodes together in question thought a title sequence killed the pacing of something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow this season 4 recut of Arrested Development really doesn't flow well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

esperterra posted:

Such a good show tho.

Absolutely.

I'm slowly making my way through and every time I watch another episode I kick myself for not watching it earlier and not watching it more often.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's constantly recapping stuff that were in the same episode of the original version.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

yeah, even though the original cut was flawed (but enjoyable) this one feels alot worse

doing it chronologically takes away a lot of fun stuff like finally finding out what fakeblock is or the reveal that george michael's also dating rebel as an episode closer after you hadn't seen him for most of the season

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah, even though the original cut was flawed (but enjoyable) this one feels alot worse

doing it chronologically takes away a lot of fun stuff like finally finding out what fakeblock is or the reveal that george michael's also dating rebel as an episode closer after you hadn't seen him for most of the season

Yeah, on top of that it feels like they're just having Ron Howard tell you the joke now. It's kind of just weird this exists at all.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And sometimes they're forced by the joke to show things out of chronological order anyway, which destroys the whole point of the remix.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its a cool idea and a fun bonus but kinda like watching the star wars movies in episodic order it sounds good but doesn't really work

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

season 4 is the best season because it actively fucks with the formula a bit more than usual, and then kicks you square in the junk at the end of the season (but in a good, emotionally resonant way)

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Killing Eve is so good, BBC America got a new Tatiana Maslany in Jodie Comer with her crazy eyes and accents.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I finally started The Expanse and wtf if I realized Shohreh Aghdashloo was in this I woulda started way sooner!! I also somehow didn't realize Jared Harris was in it, too, smdh.

Blew through season one and watching the finale r/n. This is good poo poo and I appreciate it not wasting any of my time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hope you watch the online versions because there's nothing as satisfying as hearing Shohreh yell "gently caress"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Hope you watch the online versions because there's nothing as satisfying as hearing Shohreh yell "gently caress"

Watching the Blu Rays for seasons 1 and 2, which as far as I can tell is uncensored. To be honest I think it airs uncensored in Canada, anyway, so I don't think it'll make a difference how I watch it once I catch up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still don't understand how it's censored on Syfy. Magicians and Happy weren't and they dropped fucks and cunts all the time.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Magicians is definitely censored. They drop out the sound when they say gently caress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eezee posted:

Magicians is definitely censored. They drop out the sound when they say gently caress.

No they do not, not for season 3 they didn't. I DVR'd the entire season from Syfy and it was not at all censored. Season 1 and 2 they did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Syfy and FXX being the only two networks that will allow a "gently caress" through (that I watch), are both pretty inconsistent about it but isn't it nice that it's starting to happen?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GreenNight posted:

I still don't understand how it's censored on Syfy. Magicians and Happy weren't and they dropped fucks and cunts all the time.

Meanwhile The Expanse is allowed to show the most gruesome mutilated body I've ever seen on Syfy or any other channel.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Meanwhile The Expanse is allowed to show the most gruesome mutilated body I've ever seen on Syfy or any other channel.

Just so long as nobody saw a butt! :ohdear:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Legion had some good butt shots this last episode.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It all depends on the particular cable networks' standards and practices. I noticed that there were new episodes of Drunk History on Hulu, and they drop "poo poo" like there's no tomorrow, but every instance of what I assume was "gently caress" was bleeped. If it's an OTA channel though, the FCC comes into play and either is strictly verboten.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Seems like they've decided to film two takes on some of the scenes this season, so that in some versions they have swearing and in some they don't.

Insane. Just mute them out if you have to, but you clearly don't have to so now you've gone to all this effort for nothing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

GreenNight posted:

I think it's that Expanse started back in 2015, and it's only in 2017 with Happy and Blood Drive that Syfy started deciding to allow the F-bomb. So maybe the new season of Expanse will also drop the censoring?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't noticed any censoring on The Expanse so far this season, though I don't know that there's been a ton of swearing yet either.

USA and Syfy, as of this year, can swear as much as they want.

quote:

Until last year, Syfy's policy — and the policy of USA, its corporate sibling — was that the word "gently caress" had to be dipped (with one exception: an unmuted "gently caress" in the Season 2 premiere of USA's Mr. Robot in July 2016). Syfy declined to put an executive on the phone to discuss the change in the internal rules, but a spokesperson said that when language — "gently caress" specifically — is deemed important to the style or plot of a show, Syfy and USA now allow it. Any show with "gently caress" airs with the TV-MA guideline, denoting that the program is meant for adult viewers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I haven't noticed any censoring on The Expanse so far this season, though I don't know that there's been a ton of swearing yet either.

USA and Syfy, as of this year, can swear as much as they want.

They film it differently for TV than on streaming. Not like early Magicians where they just muted the fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

They film it differently for TV than on streaming. Not like early Magicians where they just muted the fucks.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here. Syfy's policy is fucks are ok now. So the shows are going to use fucks if they want to use fucks. TV or streaming doesn't factor into this.