Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kratos was right to murder all of those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If anything he fits in well with all the Norse gods who are real shitlords themselves

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lets hang out posted:

If anything he fits in well with all the Norse gods who are real shitlords themselves

yeah by comparison the greek gods were just randy as hell but total peaceniks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Kratos is such an unredeemable shithead that its offensive to act like he can be redeemed though.

This is the guy that killed millions of civilians and then killed those civilians again in hell all because he was really angry. The entire premise of the game is dumb as gently caress.

not really

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lets hang out posted:

Honestly the Norse gods tend to feel like much nicer people than the Olympian gods. Like Odin never turns into a swan to rape someone

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm not super sold on the plight of sad dad Kratos but I'm appreciating the party dynamic that's developing as I go along. Didn't expect there to even be a party.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly the Norse gods tend to feel like much nicer people than the Olympian gods. Like Odin never turns into a swan to rape someone

There's plenty worse than that in greek mythology. The story behind Medusa is a particularly bad one if I remember right, and a depressing reminder of how little things change. All mythology is super hosed up it turns out.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 7, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Kratos is such an unredeemable shithead that its offensive to act like he can be redeemed though.

This is the guy that killed millions of civilians and then killed those civilians again in hell all because he was really angry. The entire premise of the game is dumb as gently caress.

i havent played the game but "how can the unredeemable be redeemed" seems like an interesting theme

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I get that people who create pull from their life so the whole parenting thing will undoubtedly become a more common theme as the industry ages. I wonder if the opposite will have any impact on story telling, I have no interest in having kids but I don't think many people will champion stories that are about being in your 30s and not having a child to care for.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Dad of War doesn''t really attempt to redeem Kratos for what he's done, and in fact makes things go bad for him when he tries to downplay the crimes of his past, it just makes it clear that he's grown to the point where he doesn't want his son to end up as lovely as him

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a saying that the Greek gods are comedic characters treated deadly serious and the Norse gods are serious characters treated as comic relief

Like the Greek gods are constantly being petty and doing ridiculous things to try to one-up each other but this is all treated as being dramatic instead of silly. Whereas the Norse gods always have serious responsible motives but then you get stories about Thor dressing up in a wedding dress or trying to empty a drinking glass which had secretly been connected to the ocean

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kratos doesn't seek redemption, he just wants to make sure his kid turns out differently but doesn't really know how. Admittedly I never played the originals, but I thought it worked pretty well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

i never thought about this but micro/zero grav "jiggle physics" (and not just women's boobmeat) must be insanely distracting IRL

like now that I think about it that would be the number one thing to drive me insane if I ever had to deal

That's why everyone wears loose fitting coveralls. It looks slimming and keeps the rolls in check.

e: I wish coveralls were just the normal thing to wear. An adult onesie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Because they are not real journalists. These opinion pieces are just brain stormed in a team meeting room and handed out randomly to their writers and they are told to try their best to write some words. It's pure clickbait for views that in turn generate revenue.

It's worth noting that this isn't exclusive to video games. When we talk about "games journalism" I think people latch on to the "journalism" part and apply the same standards that they'd apply to news reporting and investigative journalism. But games journalism is entertainment journalism--it's the same as the various fluff pieces you'd see in Entertainment Weekly, People, or that kind of magazine.

That doesn't mean it's good, but it's worth noting what it's trying to be.

I think what we really mean is that these entertainment journalists are poor critics, which is extremely true.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's worth noting that this isn't exclusive to video games. When we talk about "games journalism" I think people latch on to the "journalism" part and apply the same standards that they'd apply to news reporting and investigative journalism. But games journalism is entertainment journalism--it's the same as the various fluff pieces you'd see in Entertainment Weekly, People, or that kind of magazine.

That doesn't mean it's good, but it's worth noting what it's trying to be.

I think what we really mean is that these entertainment journalists are poor critics, which is extremely true.

Opinion pieces aren't meant to be critiques either, it's someone describing their personal experience. It's fluff regardless of the medium.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Most movie critics also suck but nobody is sending them death threats about it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

I may have sent a headless chicken to Armond White over Get Out.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

In Training posted:

it's cause games are way better than movies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

feel pretty confident in claiming there have been more than a few death threats vis a vis marvel, dc, and star wars movies

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

Plenty of film critics got death threats for giving negative reviews for Nolan movies.

Cowcaster posted:

feel pretty confident in claiming there have been more than a few death threats vis a vis marvel, dc, and star wars movies
Yeah these too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That just makes me think about how Jeff Gerstmann has said he actually would have rated Twilight Princess lower but Gamespot's rating system had a formula that whrn he plugged in the elements it made it higher than he thought it deserved

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm still waiting for the Jean-Luc Godard of video game criticism to emerge, who can than ascend to becoming the Godard of video game developers.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

[Kirby Meme]

Good news this one got an upgrade.

https://twitter.com/akfamilyhomeak/status/993491075959373824

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

Opinion pieces aren't meant to be critiques either, it's someone describing their personal experience. It's fluff regardless of the medium.

Yeah, I meant to add that. Fluff is fluff and I feel like gamers take the existence of fluff pieces about games like some sort of insult.

al-azad posted:

I may have sent a headless chicken to Armond White over Get Out.

I can't help but feel vaguely fond of Armond White because I have to admire his level of commitment to being so very consistently wrong.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I never played God of War 3, should I buy the GoW remaster and re-play 1-2 & 3 or just get God of W4r?

Do 1-2 even hold up at this point?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How Phoenix Wright Made Me a Better Lawyer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

still loving hilarious and i still don't really understand why

absurdism is powerful

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How Pokemon Made Me a Better Pet Owner

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

suuma posted:

I never played God of War 3, should I buy the GoW remaster and re-play 1-2 & 3 or just get God of W4r?

Do 1-2 even hold up at this point?

I'm enjoying the original games for what it's worth, but I haven't touched the new one yet. There's lots of little bits that haven't aged well but overall they're pretty fun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I meant to add that. Fluff is fluff and I feel like gamers take the existence of fluff pieces about games like some sort of insult.

I can't help but feel vaguely fond of Armond White because I have to admire his level of commitment to being so very consistently wrong.

Armond White recently seemed to start spouting that the Parkland kids were crisis actors so gently caress him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

Armond White recently seemed to start spouting that the Parkland kids were crisis actors so gently caress him.
I like some of his actual film criticism but that Parkland thing was super gross.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh well gently caress that guy then, christ

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I'm enjoying the original games for what it's worth, but I haven't touched the new one yet. There's lots of little bits that haven't aged well but overall they're pretty fun.

I should probably ignore them both since I have enough poo poo to play but I stumbled upon a couple GoW3 fights on YouTube and it seems topical to play that before I eventually pick up Dad of War

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*cineD voice* he's right

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

*cineD voice* he's right

SMG got a month probation for that and of course people complained about it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel bad for Galactic Nova. It's like killing Shenron in Dragon Ball, he just grants wishes man.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

I feel bad for Galactic Nova. It's like killing Shenron in Dragon Ball, he just grants wishes man.

isn't NOVA just a machine, and anyway i think a wish-granting machine is too dangerous to live in a universe with as many meta-cosmic horrors as the kirbyverse

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the fact that the kirbyverse could be described to be A Thing is astounding to me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

If i wished to rule a planet and got turned into a horrific monster I'd be pretty pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Nova is later revealed to have been built by the same people who built the final boss of Robobot, which is a machine that developed sentience and decided existence needed to be destroyed so Kirb made the right call imo

• Locked thread