Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

I think I'm gonna go for 100%. Unless 100% requires 3 100% save files, then I'm gonna go for 99.9%.

I keep coming back to this game when I finish up other games. Greatest game of all time.
Once you get one save file completed, all you have to do is sync with steam on the other two files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Once you get one save file completed, all you have to do is sync with steam on the other two files.

If you're going to cheat for 100% that kinda defeats the purpose though doesn't it

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The steam achievements do not track 3 save file completion, so as far as I'm concerned, 3000000% is simply an Easter egg, with 1000000% (Just Stop!) being the actual, bona fide 100%.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to get Delirium kills with Keeper and Lost. I failed on the boss fight three times in a row with varying Maggy builds before I managed it. I've only done her, Cain, Isaac, and Apollyon so far.

The drat thing just has too many moves where it teleports on top of you or leaps from off screen or some other bullshit, just ugh. Not looking forward to that.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
With Keeper, having Swallowed Penny (or Piggy Bank) helps a lot. For Lost, a real broken build that can kill in 30 seconds plus Algiz. I don't know how else you're supposed to not get hit.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

DontMockMySmock posted:

With Keeper, having Swallowed Penny (or Piggy Bank) helps a lot. For Lost, a real broken build that can kill in 30 seconds plus Algiz. I don't know how else you're supposed to not get hit.

Tarot cloth and Algiz would ensure invincibility for a considerable amount of time. It would be even better with two Algiz runes, if you got the Starter Deck or one of the other items that have the same effect -- I think Polydactyl and Deep Pockets (?). Optimally, you also have Blank Card as your active item as well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Greedier mode Lost is the only thing I didn't do before I put the game down and now that I've picked it up again (and done everything with Forgotten) it's still eluding me.

Should I be D4ing for Gnawed Leaf + Orbiter or is there a better way that involves keeping the Mantle?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Greed/ Greedier mode are easy to "break" and become overpowered as long as you find and buy the D20 from the shop. You can then probably get any combo of overpowered items (high damage, huge tears) and defensive items (blank card, algiz, tarot cloth in addition to holy mantle).

But this usually takes up quite some time to set up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Greedier mode Lost is the only thing I didn't do before I put the game down and now that I've picked it up again (and done everything with Forgotten) it's still eluding me.

Should I be D4ing for Gnawed Leaf + Orbiter or is there a better way that involves keeping the Mantle?

I thought The Lost could hit the button without getting hurt in Greed Mode

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Nighthand posted:

I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to get Delirium kills with Keeper and Lost. I failed on the boss fight three times in a row with varying Maggy builds before I managed it. I've only done her, Cain, Isaac, and Apollyon so far.

The drat thing just has too many moves where it teleports on top of you or leaps from off screen or some other bullshit, just ugh. Not looking forward to that.

I have Delirium kills on both of them but I have no idea how the gently caress I'll ever get Hush done as Keeper

Delirium has a lot of bullshit going on but getting to Hush requires speedy movement on a character with agonizingly slow and boring gameplay, and when you get there, because Keeper is such a fragile character, you have to turtle against the slowest boss with the slowest character. I've tried it several times and it's just agony. For everything wrong with Delirium I still hate Hush so much more, it's not hard but it's just not fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

Greed/ Greedier mode are easy to "break" and become overpowered as long as you find and buy the D20 from the shop. You can then probably get any combo of overpowered items (high damage, huge tears) and defensive items (blank card, algiz, tarot cloth in addition to holy mantle).

But this usually takes up quite some time to set up.

I haven't done it in a long time, but I recall blank card + 2 of diamonds + shop with battery being the easier one to set up.

Although I've noticed that when I buy keys now they're sometimes replaced with bombs, did they patch it and now batteries can restock with anything?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Are the builds you beat the game with cataloged anywhere? I'm playing on Switch and it's just hard to keep track of what made my first run to the devil so successful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kikkoman posted:

Are the builds you beat the game with cataloged anywhere? I'm playing on Switch and it's just hard to keep track of what made my first run to the devil so successful.

There's a log file that saves your seeds, but it's only for your last play session and it wipes every time you restart the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought The Lost could hit the button without getting hurt in Greed Mode
You can, yeah. Thing is that the button costs 1 coin from the next wave so it's harder to get up the hill to enough items to become overpowered.

(...and I forgot about Blank Card+shop battery, best I could think of was just d20 spam with no way to go actually infinite without access to Sharp Plug/Habit, so that's what I'm missing.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PostNouveau posted:

There's a log file that saves your seeds, but it's only for your last play session and it wipes every time you restart the game.

Almost every screenshot is just the pause screen to capture seeds.
No context, no guide and no chance of me ever going back but I donit anyway :smith:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hey, if you have mods on and defeat a challenge, do you unlock the thing for beating the challenge? I know challenges don't count for achievements in general so the crossed-out trophy symbol is on the hud anyway, but I wouldn't want to go all the way through a challenge and get nothing just because I have item descriptions on

edit: beat the easiest challenge on a new file and unlocked the thing so yep you still get it

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 8, 2018

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

finally made it to hush for the first time (I haven't played that much in a while, shut up) and wow hush sucks!!!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Color Printer posted:

finally made it to hush for the first time (I haven't played that much in a while, shut up) and wow hush sucks!!!
You are absolutely correct, he is loving trash. Delirium is also trash but marginally better just because it dies faster.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like they made a couple of tweaks to make hush less trash. He seems to spend less time just untouchable underground spamming bullets, and he actually pops back up quickly when you kill all his spawns. I swear he used to spawn, and then you'd kill them all, and then he'd spend like 20 goddamn seconds spamming bullets as he slowly made his way across the room.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Color Printer posted:

That's cute, and look forward to the new boss in the realm behind hush next time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Please dont joke of such things.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
so what mods do y'all recommend from the steam workshop? I'm on afterbirth+

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I still haven't unlocked The Lost because I haven't seen that drat poster and I could never do it when it was the complicated way

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize they didn't disable achievements. I woulda been using the item description one forever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize they didn't disable achievements. I woulda been using the item description one forever.

they used to disable achievements, but once you defeat mom's foot on a file you can have them on and it's fine

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't get motion sick from video games ever. But I picked up Guillotine on a very promising Forgotten run yesterday and had to restart. I tried to power through it, but ten seconds after picking it up I felt like I was going to throw up and black out, and I didn't want those things to happen in any order so I held R.

Knowing Edmund, this is probably the desired effect of that item. This is why I'll never pick up items on Curse of the Blind.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's wild. I skip that item because it sucks but that sort of reaction is fairly extreme.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LifeLynx posted:

This is why I'll never pick up items on Curse of the Blind.
Guillotine, Cursed Eye, Chocolate Milk, Soy Milk, Monstro's Lung, Marked, Anti-gravity, Tiny Planet, and Bob's Brain all prompt me to restart instantly if I don't have a D4 on me.

...I don't not pick things up under Curse of the Blind, but it actually ends a substantial portion of my runs.

(and yes I know I "shouldn't" restart for Choco/Lung but goddammit if I have to charge any longer than a Mom's Knife toss it will be for nothing short of Brimstone)

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

Personally, I've been using:

Room Balance Tweaks - Makes a few changes so that some room types are more attractive (eg, making secret rooms worth looking for). In particular, it adds four stone chests in the Dark Room so it's worth going to in comparison to the Chest.

Faster Beggar Animations - Just makes it faster to use beggars. There's also one for coin machines.

Lost Plushie - When you have multiple familiars following you, this condenses them down into a single familiar. Really nice to have when you'd otherwise have a really long train of familiars. There's an alternative version where you can buy the Plushie as a shop item, if you prefer that.

Jacob's Ladder Synergies - This makes it so a bunch more items work with Jacob's Ladder, like Brimstone and Technology.

No Curses - I just find curses annoying. This starts you with Black Candle, but without the extra black heart or the visual effect. There's also Curse Disabler, which performs a similar function via scripting.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

No Curses - I just find curses annoying. This starts you with Black Candle, but without the extra black heart or the visual effect. There's also Curse Disabler, which performs a similar function via scripting.

Is there a mod to get rid of Curse of the Maze only? I'd feel like I was cheating if I disabled curses completely but Curse of the Maze is loving stupid and literally just wastes your time

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

flatluigi posted:

Here's something:

Disable Giantbook Animations - This is single-handedly one of the best QOL mods for the game imo. It disables a whole bunch of on-screen animations like when you use cards, books, runes, turn into Whore of Babylon, black heart animations and a whole bunch of stuff. It oddly enough works with daily challenges, too: if you have it enabled when you start the game, then disable all mods, it still remains in effect. As far as I'm aware, it's the only mod that works on dailies.

Vanilla Music - This is just a personal preference. After 2200 hours of playing, I like being able to switch over to Baranowski's soundtrack every once in a while. New floors like Burning Basement and Flooded Caves still have their AB+ music.

Hush drops Eden's Blessing - Just a little incentive to actually fight Hush. I like to play as Eden a lot and having one extra item for him at the beginning of every run is pretty neat. Plus you can find another Eden's Blessing in other item pools.

... or you can just get Forever Blessed and have every character start with Eden's blessing.

External Item Descriptions - I never tried this myself but everyone says it's hot poo poo and it's also the mod with the highest rating on Steam. So I suppose it's good.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 8, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I use Reversible Curses for this. It keeps curses in the game but they will now be overrided by certain item effects. I Can See Forever will remove Cruse of the Lost and Curse of the Blind, for example. It lightens the annoyance of curses without totally removing them, which makes it feel less like cheating to me.

Better minimap simply removes the background and border around the minimap, which makes it get in the way just that little bit less

Color stat icons which has a lot of different alternatives but I liked how this one looked.

This Thing But Less Lazy because seriously that enemy's default sprite looks so drat lovely.

Switch Controller Buttons because Steam has official Pro Controller support now

Better Character Menu and cHUD+ Lite if you're like me and want color in the menus

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 9, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Switch Controller Buttons because Steam has official Pro Controller support now

Does this give the xbox controller a swap button? Because the lack of one is annoying as gently caress.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got my Keeper Greedier win tonight. Tech X on the first floor, but I was 100% sure I was going to fail right up until the very last handful of coins in the very last shop, I used my last bomb to bomb and break the reroll machine and it popped up pyromaniac.

Unrelated, but I think the achievement/secret for getting a bunch of battery-themed items in one run is broken for me, I already have the unlock item available and I got three or four of the items in one run tonight and it didn't pop. Might have to hax that one in or something, we'll see.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

nerdbot posted:

I have Delirium kills on both of them but I have no idea how the gently caress I'll ever get Hush done as Keeper

Delirium has a lot of bullshit going on but getting to Hush requires speedy movement on a character with agonizingly slow and boring gameplay, and when you get there, because Keeper is such a fragile character, you have to turtle against the slowest boss with the slowest character. I've tried it several times and it's just agony. For everything wrong with Delirium I still hate Hush so much more, it's not hard but it's just not fun.

Chaos Card for Hush phase 2 is a godsend - I honestly don't remember if that's what did it for me, a lot of the lovely grindy game break accomplishments mushed together in my mind

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nighthand posted:

Getting my Keeper kill on Delerium was way, way harder than getting a kill with The Lost.

I loving hate Keeper so much holy poo poo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I won't play Keeper unless it is with the swallowed penny.

gently caress Keeper.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Complaining on the internet works, got my Greedier Lost kill. Turns out I just needed Host Hat :shobon:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I love how broken the blank card can get in this game

edit: game glitched out a few rooms later and all my spiders disappeared, then i died to a room full of champion egg-laying spiders and floaty skulls :rip:

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

g0lbez posted:

Is there a mod to get rid of Curse of the Maze only? I'd feel like I was cheating if I disabled curses completely but Curse of the Maze is loving stupid and literally just wastes your time

Curse of the maze would be ok-ish to go away after you have revealed the whole map. Because after that it's just an annoyance / trolling.

Otherwise it can (or could?) be exploited to get you teleported inside locked rooms (and I think the secret room too) so it has that going on for it.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 9, 2018