Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Astroman posted:

I'm not sure what ya'll are looking for, but I'm still in for the long haul. I really want to see where this goes.

what we're looking for is any reason to want to see where the show goes, because as it stands it's just not feeling that compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Astroman posted:

It feels like a different show because it is a different show. The first season wasn't written with that in mind at all. The creators said that the first season is really a prequel to a totally different show.

This is is it, this is the "real" show. And the wailing and gnashing of teeth by some people about how this show has totally jumped the shark and ruined Westworld in 3 episodes is kinda silly. Christ, some people were making GBS threads on it after the first episode. I'm not sure what ya'll are looking for, but I'm still in for the long haul. I really want to see where this goes.

Are there any sources of them saying this from before they were promoting season 2?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Should include the next couple panels.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Accretionist posted:

This had one of the best pilot's I've ever seen. I think that's cast a shadow over some of the wrinkles and shortcomings that've come up since

S1E1 is as good an episode of TV as HBO has produced. There’s a fairly substantial drop in quality from there on and without Anthony Hopkins around to do the polishing this season it’s fairly apparent what was holding the mess together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm in the camp that the ghost nation is separate from the other hosts and they are rounding up real humans to save them. Otherwise, why would they randomly just want Sizemore and let the other two leave? Also, what the gently caress was that battle scene? No helmets, just randomly walking up to the fort in a group with no cover. I kind of wanted to see the hosts freak out a bit more about the buggies. Or maybe even that they couldn't even see them because they are too foreign. It would have been cool if when one of the woke hosts hands a P90 to a nonwoke host and the nonwoke host just sits there all "What?" Unless all the programming from normal operations has shut down, they shouldn't even be able to understand what the modern gun is.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I went over to the subreddit for this show, a thing I never do, expecting to see gbs style poo poo posts like "why is this show do bad" and "how come Delores feels like a bad parody" and "Westworld group policy thread: just give everyone local admin"

Instead I saw threads talking about Easter eggs, vfx ama, and other trite topics

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Targeted fan forums are almost always positive, I think. I'm sure The Walking Dead subreddit is pretty positive too.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ozmunkeh posted:

S1E1 is as good an episode of TV as HBO has produced. There’s a fairly substantial drop in quality from there on and without Anthony Hopkins around to do the polishing this season it’s fairly apparent what was holding the mess together.

I've watched season 1 three times. After episode 2, there is a stretch from about episodes 3-6 where it does feel a bit like this season so far, somewhat meddling around and not very cinematic. It picks up again with episode 7, where we learn that Bernard is a host. From there through the end it's very cinematic, compelling, and driven. I would say that Hopkins played a large part in this, but he definitely wasn't the only important ingredient.

Who knows, this season might do the same thing. I'm with others who said they should have waited until the whole season was released to watch it all at once.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

KoRMaK posted:

I went over to the subreddit for this show, a thing I never do, expecting to see gbs style poo poo posts like "why is this show do bad" and "how come Delores feels like a bad parody" and "Westworld group policy thread: just give everyone local admin"

Instead I saw threads talking about Easter eggs, vfx ama, and other trite topics

Yeah, a show has to be really bad for the subreddit to turn against it. Best example I've seen of this is the House of Cards subreddit. Even they turned against the show after that loving fourth season. Goddamn.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've watched season 1 three times. After episode 2, there is a stretch from about episodes 3-6 where it does feel a bit like this season so far, somewhat meddling around and not very cinematic. It picks up again with episode 7, where we learn that Bernard is a host. From there through the end it's very cinematic, compelling, and driven. I would say that Hopkins played a large part in this, but he definitely wasn't the only important ingredient.

Who knows, this season might do the same thing. I'm with others who said they should have waited until the whole season was released to watch it all at once.

Also, I agree. First episode is amazing, next few episodes before we start to see Ford's plans and the reveal of Bernard's non-humanity is basically just setting that stuff up.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Are there any sources of them saying this from before they were promoting season 2?

Not really, but they said it a long time ago:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/westworld-creators-return-2018-1201933825/

quote:

In this narrative Ford is God. This is the death of God as the jumping off point for our story but also a full meal to itself.

So I suppose that could have been all just a bunch of bullshit after they were renewed. Maybe indeed it was intended to be a 1 season, contained story and now they're having to "wing it" like they did on BSG and Lost and have no plan or idea where they are going like a lot of people here seem to think.

I doubt that though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

To be fair, it's not like they're gonna stay dead

That’s certainly true. Yet for the benefit of those who might not know, execution is so traumatic that even simulated executions (say, pointing a gun at someone, pulling the trigger and the victim then realizes that it’s not loaded) is considered torture by international law.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I love how lovely Delos is as a company. Multiple parks are making GBS threads the bed and they never even attempt to get guests out or alert them/other staff that something is wrong. I want to know how massive this lawsuit is going to be.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I'm in the camp that the ghost nation is separate from the other hosts and they are rounding up real humans to save them. Otherwise, why would they randomly just want Sizemore and let the other two leave?

Racial stuff?

Sizemore's the only person in the scene who's white, and it would make some sense for Westworld's version of Native Americans to place a high priority on that sort of vengeance. In almost any discussion of host motives, it's good to keep in mind that the hosts are all fictional characters, written at the behest of rich creeps, by people like Sizemore who love guignol bullshit.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Dolores sucks, Teddy sucks, I hope William kills them all.

Except Maeve, she's pretty cool.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I still really enjoy this show, but it does feel like a dropped ball how totally inept the park security is. I mean, they’re set up against killbots who can be set to “Best Gun in the West” god mode. Why not show the security teams using modern military tactics and advanced future technology, but still getting overwhelmed by the robots that never miss a shot, have super-human reflexes, and don’t feel pain?

If anything I think it would have made some of the scenes more dramatic, and it just seems like something that wasn’t thought all the way through. For instance: when they attack the fort they do it by night and use smoke bombs for cover, maybe talking about how easy it will be to overcome some civil war-style defenses, but the robots see them anyway and shoot them unerringly, adding to the horror or the humans being outclassed and mercilessly killed.

Instead QA acts like extras in a bad 80’s action movie, and it’s pretty jarring.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
How did Dolores know that QA was going to come over that hill anyway?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

One of her/the army's scouts spotted them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How did Dolores know that QA was going to come over that hill anyway?

she tortured and interrogated the QA hanging out in the basement.

then scouts found them before the assault.

Blastedhellscape posted:

I still really enjoy this show, but it does feel like a dropped ball how totally inept the park security is. I mean, they’re set up against killbots who can be set to “Best Gun in the West” god mode. Why not show the security teams using modern military tactics and advanced future technology, but still getting overwhelmed by the robots that never miss a shot, have super-human reflexes, and don’t feel pain?

If anything I think it would have made some of the scenes more dramatic, and it just seems like something that wasn’t thought all the way through. For instance: when they attack the fort they do it by night and use smoke bombs for cover, maybe talking about how easy it will be to overcome some civil war-style defenses, but the robots see them anyway and shoot them unerringly, adding to the horror or the humans being outclassed and mercilessly killed.

Instead QA acts like extras in a bad 80’s action movie, and it’s pretty jarring.

because qa is not trained to deal with organized resistance. their focus, as evidenced by last season, is glitching host unfamiliar with modern technology and not “prepared armada who has somehow learned our mustering point.”

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Abner Assington posted:

Dolores sucks, Teddy sucks, I hope William kills them all.

Except Maeve, she's pretty cool.

Maeve sucks too and she's increasing the size of her entourage with the worst characters from season 1

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have to agree and glad I am not alone - this is a boring slog with no consequences. I don't even see what they are fighting for? To get out? But Maeve went back in. Eh, I prob missed something.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maeve sucks too and she's increasing the size of her entourage with the worst characters from season 1
Sizemore is the only worthless poo poo, and she's possibly going to recruit samurai now, so that will offset.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

QuoProQuid posted:

she tortured and interrogated the QA hanging out in the basement.

then scouts found them before the assault.

because qa is not trained to deal with organized resistance. their focus, as evidenced by last season, is glitching host unfamiliar with modern technology and not “prepared armada who has somehow learned our mustering point.”

I get that, it just seems odd to have them give the Confederados a chance to re-enact a Civil War battle by charging a prepared line of riflemen. There’s a wide gap between “Delta Force advanced small-unit tactics” and “not forming a line and walking towards the dudes with guns across an open field.” But the show wanted to signal something to us with the body armor they put on, and the security team survived (the shooting) so I figured it was better to imagine them in some kind of full-body future armor that the show couldn’t depict for budgetary reasons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Look if you don't line up and walk towards the enemy how will you ever bayonet them? This is basic tactics guys.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Even "if" QA is fiercely incompetent, forming a line to advance and fire under is like the one thing that the Confederados are absolutely trained to fight. That's baby town frolics right there.

Also, I want to know if the wildlife is woke or just set to friendly fire okay mode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The guys in that one buggy should've given their buddies a heads up that the back door was undefended.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Abner Assington posted:

Sizemore is the only worthless poo poo, and she's possibly going to recruit samurai now, so that will offset.

Lee is hilarious and I was hoping that when Maeve ran into Dolores and she started her terrible monologues, he would have shut her down by saying that was some dialogue he wrote when he was high.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

wizard on a water slide posted:

Racial stuff?

Sizemore's the only person in the scene who's white, and it would make some sense for Westworld's version of Native Americans to place a high priority on that sort of vengeance. In almost any discussion of host motives, it's good to keep in mind that the hosts are all fictional characters, written at the behest of rich creeps, by people like Sizemore who love guignol bullshit.
Wouldn't natives have a different perspective on race? Sure, white Americans will generally distinguish between their own "race" and that of white Latin Americans, but another racial group might not pay much heed to this distinction - people generally focus a lot on the distinctions between them and groups closer to them, while lumping more distant groups together. And in this case, they all represent settlers/colonizers in some way - Hector the old, Sizemore and Maeve the new. Fair enough, Mexican colonization in their lost territories might not have been exactly the same as that of the later American colonization, but would Native Americans in the region care? And would they even perceive Hector as notably different from Sizemore in a racial sense? Confession time here: I didn't even consider the idea that Hector "isn't white" before you wrote the above.

QuoProQuid posted:

I think the armada has to wait for S3. (An armada is a fleet.)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lee is hilarious and I was hoping that when Maeve ran into Dolores and she started her terrible monologues, he would have shut her down by saying that was some dialogue he wrote when he was high.
Wyatt is Ford's narrative though, right? Though I think Lee might have attempted to write his own version of it in S1? Which almost came back to eat his rear end in S2.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I'm in the camp that the ghost nation is separate from the other hosts and they are rounding up real humans to save them. Otherwise, why would they randomly just want Sizemore and let the other two leave?

They're probably getting the humans because they're under Elsie's control. If Sizemore had gone with them, he'd be chilling with Elsie and Stubbs right now.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Lee Sizemore is not a good writer. That "dream died with her" line did not moisten my panties.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This thread is poo poo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You guys I think the battle scene is less 'lovely tactics' and more 'HBO sucks at battle scenes unless they're dumping millions into them'. I'm sure a better director and/or budget could have made that scene more interesting while still having the QA dudes lose.

e: also ^^^

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Lee/Maeve/Hector trio has been top tier and I am glad Snekfu has joined the party.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

I get that, it just seems odd to have them give the Confederados a chance to re-enact a Civil War battle by charging a prepared line of riflemen. There’s a wide gap between “Delta Force advanced small-unit tactics” and “not forming a line and walking towards the dudes with guns across an open field.” But the show wanted to signal something to us with the body armor they put on, and the security team survived (the shooting) so I figured it was better to imagine them in some kind of full-body future armor that the show couldn’t depict for budgetary reasons.
they could have bought paintball masks and motorcycle armor or dressed-up football/hockey pads for the two dozen mooks in that scene for less than they spent on one of the dune buggies or the licensing fee for Seven Nation Army.

the security dudes being completely immune to rifle and cannon fire (I don't think they even showed the cannon crews doing anything except dying) and then getting caught in the bomb trap would have had the same end result without being so incredibly stupid to anyone who knows anything about military history or has ever played any sort of war video game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tho lbr the security goons were incompetent last year too so at least it's consistent

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Griz posted:

they could have bought paintball masks and motorcycle armor or dressed-up football/hockey pads for the two dozen mooks in that scene for less than they spent on one of the dune buggies or the licensing fee for Seven Nation Army.

the security dudes being completely immune to rifle and cannon fire (I don't think they even showed the cannon crews doing anything except dying) and then getting caught in the bomb trap would have had the same end result without being so incredibly stupid to anyone who knows anything about military history or has ever played any sort of war video game.

It’s not even about knowing military history or playing video games, it’s just... wanting to see characters act in ways that aren’t out of character and stupid. I’m no military historian.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Well i'm not gonna deny the battle scene was poorly done they had their issues with some (not all) of the gun fights last season. However I was able to suspend my disbelief on QA's tactics due to it showing that they where winning by a solid margin prior to the bomb going off and may not have suspected their enemy had no qualms about allowing half of their troops to get slaughtered in order to spring a trap.

no one firing the cannons was friggin annoying though. Hopefully sometime soon this show will hire a director who knows how to film a believable gun fight.

My main concern is the show is so busy trying to be smart and trick us that they are skimping on character development and story. If this show turns into Lost without the sympathetic character's its in big trouble.

That being said we are only 3 episodes into season 2 so there is plenty of space to get back to season 1 quality.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's also worth noting the first two episodes were basically characters just on the move, full bore ahead. We saw this week with Dolores that once she had a second to actually stop and chill, there's more going on there. She's standoffish with Teddy but as soon as she sees her father she gets vulnerable and admits she has no clue what the gently caress she's doing and is overwhelmed. I would assume we will get similar downtime and room for the other characters to breathe and allow us in more. Maybe not with Maeve just b/c her stats are jacked but I'm sure if/when she finds her daughter those wits will go out the window fast.

I'm just amazed at how badly this show is being received by so much of the thread. We're only three episodes in and barely over the direct aftermath of the massacre in last year's finale.

Also

the show's dialogue has always been kind of schlocky so idgi with the complaints there tbh. As long as it's acted well idgaf.

e: or is that the problem? That on episode 3 we're just getting over that hump of moving past last season's finale into something a bit more fresh and new than dealing w/ the fallout of that? Three episodes for it feels fine for me, especially with the implication that this season is probably only going to cover 2 weeks. I'd be surprised if we have more than one episode of time spent on everyone after they're caught up to present-day Bernard.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

esperterra posted:

As long as it's acted well idgaf.

That is problem for some people. They don't think the main character does a good job at all, and we lost Anthony Hopkins.

Another problem is that because we don't know what "Glory" is, we don't have a reason to care about anyone's journey for it right now. That makes the plot feel aimless.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 8, 2018