Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

B.

While we're at it, now is a great time to abduct a few more specimens. Everyone witnessed what happened on the beach, even if we have to keep them in a cell for a few days until we have more mana it is a great opportunity to get it for free. More serious heroes are going to arrive next time - this amateur came in over a few missing persons, now there is a verified hero eating monster on the loose and the A team is going to come running. We don't want to have to venture outside while they're around.

This

Tske the sharkman with ue next time we go abducting just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nephzinho posted:

B.

While we're at it, now is a great time to abduct a few more specimens. Everyone witnessed what happened on the beach, even if we have to keep them in a cell for a few days until we have more mana it is a great opportunity to get it for free. More serious heroes are going to arrive next time - this amateur came in over a few missing persons, now there is a verified hero eating monster on the loose and the A team is going to come running. We don't want to have to venture outside while they're around.

Solid.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B. Let our distraction do its job over there, we’ll do ours over here.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Nephzinho posted:

B.

Let's go with this

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

B. The distraction has proven to be -extra- distracting. Although if you get a minute during the night, nicking that Hero's gear might be good. Assuming the sharkcrab doesn't just swallow all of it. Maybe it'll fit our shrimp buddy, or the dwarves will fence it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
B

What a thing to put on the CV. "Sarga Scrawgill, so good at making monsters even her castaways turn out to be the most vile and foul of menaces."

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

B.

+1ing this.

Jossar posted:

B

What a thing to put on the CV. "Sarga Scrawgill, so good at making monsters even her castaways turn out to be the most vile and foul of menaces."

We appear to have stumbled upon a natural talent.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Short-term. Cut off communications - more heroes are going to show up when Seaglass doesn't return, but not as fast as when some terrified fisherman reports her failure. So kill two birds with one stone and start snapping up people leaving the island. Buys us more time to continue mining and nets additional subjects.

Medium-term. Come up with contingencies for when SharkCrab's cover runs out and we've still got mining to do. Mostly misdirection - start planting evidence pointing away from our lair. If we can come up with something that implicates the neighbors, even better. Conflict over fishing rights?

Long-term, and probably outside of contract's scope. Are there any sectarian tensions we can inflame? Locally or regionally? Town's definitely on the small side and the contract's awfully short, but if everyone is busy removing fishsticks then they'll be too busy to notice us. Until, and here's where it gets ambitious, we can start scoring side contracts from the locals. Because getting paid twice to kill people and loot their poo poo is the :discourse: of being a contractor.
It's worth keeping in mind that even if this isn't something we can accomplish during our contract, this sort of endless low-level conflict is going to be our bread and butter as contractors - like a weeping sore that bleeds money into our lap.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Rockopolis posted:

Short-term. Cut off communications - more heroes are going to show up when Seaglass doesn't return, but not as fast as when some terrified fisherman reports her failure. So kill two birds with one stone and start snapping up people leaving the island. Buys us more time to continue mining and nets additional subjects.

Medium-term. Come up with contingencies for when SharkCrab's cover runs out and we've still got mining to do. Mostly misdirection - start planting evidence pointing away from our lair. If we can come up with something that implicates the neighbors, even better. Conflict over fishing rights?

Long-term, and probably outside of contract's scope. Are there any sectarian tensions we can inflame? Locally or regionally? Town's definitely on the small side and the contract's awfully short, but if everyone is busy removing fishsticks then they'll be too busy to notice us. Until, and here's where it gets ambitious, we can start scoring side contracts from the locals. Because getting paid twice to kill people and loot their poo poo is the :discourse: of being a contractor.
It's worth keeping in mind that even if this isn't something we can accomplish during our contract, this sort of endless low-level conflict is going to be our bread and butter as contractors - like a weeping sore that bleeds money into our lap.

pro-tier poo poo right here

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Hexenritter posted:

pro-tier poo poo right here
:capitalism:
Speaking of ruining everything in the name of our endless greed, one of the classics to consider is targeting the fisheries this region is dependent on. Nothing ratchets up tension like a good famine. The main problem with this approach is the risk of pushing the starving locals into sapphire mining; it raises our risk of discovery, but more importantly, it's a service we're supposed get paid a lot of money for. Next shipment, see if we can get a followup contract to sabotage the fisheries before we go, either from the dwarves looking for a cheap supply of sapphires, or the Kingdom of Light looking for a new export market for its food. We could try shorting fish or going long on other agricultural futures to make a little extra money, but we don't have the capital to make it worth the risk without an additional contract.

Also, is there a fantasy Hague we have to worry about? Beyond just being a higher priority for heroes? Or a fantasy SEC?
Better yet, is there some kind of bingo pool for crimes against humanity we can get on?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Nephzinho posted:

B.

This, and start planning along Rockopolis ideas

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

These are all excellent ideas.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Start practicing our "I am your creator! You must obey me!" speech.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

(note, this never works)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Only if you don't have superior mind control.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Grognan posted:

(note, this never works)
"I am your boss, obey me or you're fired (and destitute)" fits the :capitalism: theme, but addicting creations to a drug she manufactures (or secretes) might be more Sarga's speed. Of course, then there's the risk of an ex-minion trying to eat her for one last hit of Ketracel Blue.
Could start a side hustle as Squidface dealing drugs from your hybrid dungeon/crack den. Crack dungeon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grognan posted:

(note, this never works)

That's why we need to practice!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Lone Badger posted:

"I am your creator! You must do what you feel is best for your own personal journey of self-actualisation and discovery, but this is important to me and I would appreciate your help until it is done. I would be delighted if you chose to continue your journey alongside mine, and on the day you choose for us to part ways, and if you want my support, I will do everything in my power to help set you on the path to your dreams. No matter what you choose, always remember I'm only a Sending away."

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 7, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Splicer posted:

"I am your creator! You must do what you feel is best for your own personal journey of self-actualisation and discovery, but this is important to me and I would appreciate your help until it is done. I would be delighted if you chose to continue your journey alongside mine, and on the day you choose for us to part ways, and if you want my support, I will do everything in my power to help set you on the path to your dreams. No matter what you choose, always remember I'm only a Sending away."

:3:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Splicer posted:

... Hans? Are we the goodies?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Loel posted:

... Hans? Are we the goodies?

Who's to say what's right or wrong in this crazy mixed up world? Now, we've got got humans to painfully mutate into abyssian horrors.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Run Free, My Sharkcrab child!

Sarga has been able to create a monster so powerful I has defeated a Hero! This is a good thing, but it did kind of derail the plan for a bit. At least its not more of a distraction - and an opportunity to get a few more subjects.

The next couple of days are quiet. The gems continue to collect at a nice rate. The early decision to use magic to mine out the first delivery means that the small mining force is able to keep up production and meet targets - She has three weeks of Gems left to supply, and only in the last week will she need to step up production.

Things in the village go quiet as well - the Villagers decide that they don’t want to try and tangle with something that can take down a hero. But Sarga knows it’s only a matter of time - it’s the natural law of the universe that heroes arise to battle threats - either another group will come into the area to save the village, or one or more of the villagers will rise up and meet the threat.

On the second night, Sarga steals from her lair and to the beach, there she collects the sword of Athena Seaglass, along with the hand. The sword is not magical, but well made - and the hand is a good trophy of her first vanquished Hero.
Returning to her lair she places the hand in a jar of preservatives, angling it so you can see the bloodied stump and the razor like incisions that seperated it from its owner. Who knew, it might be useful at some point. There had long been a debate on if there was a force that made Heros better than normal folk, but no one had been able to prove it one way or the other,

The Villagers stayed holed up in their village for four days, and the Sharkcrabman was content with his big meal of two whole people. When Sarga saw him next, she was checking in with Pistolshrimpman and collecting the latest gem haul. He seemed bigger, stronger - he was still missing an eye, but all the other wounds had healed.
Sarga was sure that there was some energy or other force that passed between people when they did great things, monsters that survived to gain “Experience” as people who studied the field jokingly called it, tended to gain skill in leaps and bounds. Others of course said that that was just normal skill progression, but Sarga liked to think it was something else.

On the fifth day, the villagers left their huts again - they came out in one large group, and launched all of their fishing boats at one time - they were not risking anyone being separated from the main group and being caught by the monster they knew to exist in the area.
Watching though, Sarga noticed something -There were now a band of four young men and woman who went down to the beach, they picked amongst the carnage and collected Seaglass’s armour and bow. They searched for the sword, but did not find it.
They dressed one of their number in the armour - she changed the string, and the woman shows some skill when using it. It seems that these people are willing to face the monster.

They sneak away from the main group, and secure their own boat. They are not noticed as they move into the water.
Not noticed by anyone but Sarga.
The Sharkcrabman is on the other side of the island, but they are approaching her lair. And evil idea enters her head. She retrieves the sword from her room and makes her way to the surface.

As the would-be-Heros approach her, Sarga casts a simple cantrap - a angelic choir sounds in the air as she thrusts the sword so it is pointed above the waves.
“Look! A sign!” One of the men cries, and they all excitedly turn their boat to approach the sword that it being offered to them by some unknown force.
The boat stops above her, and she smiles. As soon as the man reaches for the sword, he strikes. The man is pulled into the water, but the others react quickly, the woman with the bow fires an arrow into the water and it slams into sargas side. Screeching in pain, Sarga lets rip a powerful wave of magic that pulls the boat beneath the water. The villagers are caugt in a small whirlpools that drags them through the water and deposits them in the cells.

Sarga curses herself. She continues to try and grab these villagers herself, and this is the second time she has been wounded - thankfully the arrow lost a lot of its force when it hit the water, but she has once again had to resort to magic to save her skin - it’s worked so far, but for how long - and this has only been against villagers!

She binds her wounds and delivers the next crate of gems to the dwarves. Two more to go then she has completed this contract.
As she reocovers from the wound she listens to the wails of her new prisoners - she decides to let them ponder their fate before she experiments.

On the second day, she does her normal scrying of the village, and again she notices something afoot - there are now three horses in the town, where there had been none before.
There were heros in town.

Sarga slithers into the lab. The screams of her prisoners music to her ears.
What to do?

A -
1 - Aid the monster against the heros.
2 - Leave the monster alone - he’s doing his job.

B - Create new minions (Crabmen 5 per, Shrimpmen 6 per. New monster 10 for the first.) - Increase the mining effort!

C - It’s getting to hot here. Use magic to complete the mining process and head back to the Isle - You can find a new job and send the dwarves their gems while doing it.

D - Something else.

[i]

quote:

Mana = 14/40
Gold = 1,000
Time until next delivery needed - 5 days.

Crates on hand - 0.45

Minions - 1 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
3 Crabpeople.

Mining rate - 0.75 crates a week. (0.11 per day)

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B. Find out who shot the arrow and turn them into a sapphire-locating thinger what helps the crabs. Efficiency and such. Do it in front of everyone while narrating the process as required by union code which we have been slightly lax in adhering to thus far..

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

C. It's obvious that Sarga's not cut out for facing three heroes directly... yet. We don't have a backup plan if our Sharkcrab buddy goes down without taking them with him. Besides, if we do this right, we can dump these captives' bodies in the mine to throw off the heroes and leave with all our creatures, stash them someplace out of the way, and take a new job with the starting of our own aquatic horde. :krakken:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 8, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B - 1 crab, one shrimp

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A1 but only if we can buff sharkcrabman magically but not participate directly.

Otherwise C let's bounce. no wait B if we can drag this out a bit we could get out with an additional box of gems all of our own. Give archer lady a pistol arm and make a crab from one of the others.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 8, 2018

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A2
B - Corrupt the woman who put on the armor into our dark lieutenant, convert the rest into crab people
. She wanted to be a hero, so she'll be our champion. And what kind of villain would we be without a second in command who can suddenly but inevitably betray us?

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 8, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

A2
B - Turn the men into more crab people, corrupt the woman into our dark lieutenant
. She wanted to be a hero, so she'll be our champion. And what kind of villain would we be without a second in command who can suddenly but inevitably betray us?

That's a great idea but we've got mana issues. If there was enough support to combine her with the severed hand and an octopus I'd change my vote to that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

A2. We're not leaving our lair for the time being, if heroes or the beast come near us we will bail.

B. 1 crab, 1 shrimp. At that point the mine will reach the goal without any magical assistance. Remember that once the dwarven contract is complete, doesn't mean we have to stop mining - we could keep mining sapphires (or leave a scrying spell on the lair/mine after caving in the mine entrance) and keep the profit for ourselves to further fund any "extracurricular activities" we want in the future. Leave the bow woman alive, try to corrupt her, failing that save her for an intelligent mutation (dolphin archer anyone?). If the 4th person on the boat survived, let them watch everyone else fall, maybe set him up in a cell where we go full clockwork orange and he must watch everything. Could potentially use him as a deterrent to ward people away from the mines after we leave our mining operation in place, or he might go insane and become a villain in his own right (granted he will be limited to like, stitching together squirrles).

C. No chance. These sapphires are valuable and we have the opportunity to supplement our income for as long as the mine remains undiscovered. In the future if our operation is set upon, we can evaluate the threat and either give up on it then or use the profits to hire mercenaries to defend it. We are clearly not cut out for combat and could use all the money we can to hire those who are. Is there any reason we would be unable to post our own job listing on the board? We could hire a combat focused baddy to babysit the operation and keep it running for a share of the sapphire profits...

e; Hell, archer lady could probably do it if we pulled it off. She knows the land and everything, and people might be less willing to fight a familiar face.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 8, 2018

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

That's a great idea but we've got mana issues. If there was enough support to combine her with the severed hand and an octopus I'd change my vote to that.

If you want to corrupt someone you gotta take your time, so I'd say transform the others first and then start our work on her for the remaining duration of the contract. We might not even finish it before the contract is up if we want to be thorough.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A2

Corrupt the woman into our dark lieutenant and have her decide the fate of her companions.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Corrupt the woman into our dark lieutenant and have her decide the fate of her companions.

Oooh, good idea, I like it!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Octopus? What, Sarga riding her around like some kind of body horror Master Blaster? Just pop off like the headspider from the Thing when we need to escape?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The hand is preserved and isn't going anywhere, there will be other hero body parts to stitch together. Noble spirited archer lady isn't going to be corrupted overnight, not without spending mana we don't have!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I thought we rested enough to build our mana back up. I like Plan Dark Lieutenant. When we eventually move on I hope we can take our minions with us.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I thought we rested enough to build our mana back up. I like Plan Dark Lieutenant. When we eventually move on I hope we can take our minions with us.

We spent some capturing our newest subjects.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A2,

B - 1 crab/shrimp as before

NO DARK LIEUTENANT - our skills at corruption and our ability to withstand backstabs are not good enough for that.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A2,

NO DARK LIEUTENANT - our skills at corruption and our ability to withstand backstabs are not good enough for that.

This. Make the archer the shrimp.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A2,

We need more loyal guards before we set up someone who could overthrow us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We need to kidnap a random villager and turn them into like some kind of fugu fish that can walk on land to go paralyze all the adventurers and then we can turn them into loyal servants.