Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember a story Bezos himself told back when Amazon was still new and only sold books. He deigned to spend an hour or two slobbing it with the plebs on the warehouse floor as they grabbed books off the shelves and had to sort them all out while on their hands and knees because there was nothing else available to them.

Bezos apparently said to one of them, "Hey, I should probably buy you guys some kneepads, right?" and the guy replied, "No, you should buy us some tables."

And they still have neither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Now they have electronic bracelets which measure hand movements against a computer generated metric and are punished if they don't move fast enough.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PostNouveau posted:

And they still have neither.

No they have tables you're not allowed to leave.

You have a cubicle style station where the other side of your table is constantly visited by robots containing boxes of things to pack at a rate designed to be "as efficient as possible". You're not allowed to bring anything besides your clothes past the security check point (passing through which takes 5 minutes where you're off the clock).

Dystopian is an overused word, but Amazon warehouses are a thing straight out of brave new world

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i wonder how many amazon employees vote Republican

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wheeee posted:

lol if you think amazon employees get time off work to vote

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ikanreed posted:

You have a cubicle style station where the other side of your table is constantly visited by robots containing boxes of things to pack at a rate designed to be "as efficient as possible". You're not allowed to bring anything besides your clothes past the security check point (passing through which takes 5 minutes where you're off the clock).

Dystopian is an overused word, but Amazon warehouses are a thing straight out of brave new world

my prime membership ended today!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ikanreed posted:

Amazon warehouses are a thing straight out of brave new world
You're being far too generous.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wheeee posted:

yeah, how stupid of them. they should support the Democrats in order to back the Dems' various proposals to protect workers and diminish corporate power, such as

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah, how stupid of them. they should support the Democrats in order to back the Dems' various proposals to protect workers and diminish corporate power, such as

consolidated data centers will lead to vacant warehouses that local governments can give to amazon for free in exchange for them setting up a shipping center there

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Gorilla Salad posted:

Now they have electronic bracelets which measure hand movements against a computer generated metric and are punished if they don't move fast enough.

Also, the movement data from the employees is probably used to teach an AI to do that job with the cheapest robot arms available.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Well, the good news is they'll have the packing automated soon enough and then no one will have to deal with their bullshit jobs.

The bad news is the super rich are going to escape to Dubai before we break out the pitchforks and torches.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://twitter.com/julie_johnsoned/status/984809438602321920

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RabbitWizard posted:

Also, the movement data from the employees is probably used to teach an AI to do that job with the cheapest robot arms available.

That's extremely good. Because warehouse packing should be 100% automated as soon as possible. Of course, Amazon needs to be nationalized as well, but I don't particularly care which order it happens in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We feared the future would be like Blade Runner, and we got Johnny loving Mnemonic

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

We feared the future would be like Blade Runner, and we got Johnny loving Mnemonic

Lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PostNouveau posted:

Well, the good news is they'll have the packing automated soon enough and then no one will have to deal with their bullshit jobs.

The bad news is the super rich are going to escape to Dubai before we break out the pitchforks and torches.

lol if you think dubai will last five minutes in a scenario where the .1% are fleeing there

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
https://twitter.com/NatEveryWord/status/993665874144976896?s=20

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
game developers must avoid the wage-slave attitude

Many modern game developers have embraced a culture of victimology and a bad attitude toward their chosen vocations. They complain that the long hours and personal sacrifices great games require are a consequence of poor management. They want to pretend that they can turn an inherently entrepreneurial endeavor like game development into a 9-to-5 job. Somehow, these people have managed to adopt a wage-slave attitude toward one of the most remarkable and privileged careers in the world.

I know I’m going to offend a lot of people by saying this, but I do so with the hope that a few will wake up and shake off their mental shackles. I’ll grant that it’s been 23 years since I used an outhouse or had to hunt for dinner, but I’m still thrilled by the incredibly decadent luxury of porcelain toilets and fast food. I can’t begin to imagine how sheltered the lives of modern technology employees must be to think that any amount of hours they spend pushing a mouse around for a paycheck is really demanding strenuous work. I’ve hired thousands of people over the years and can’t help but notice the increasing frequency with which I encounter people with a wage-slave attitude toward making video games.

go ahead and read the rest if you wanna get real mad

btw this is the author:

quote:

Alex St. John is the co-creator of the DirectX family of API’s at Microsoft and founder of WildTangent Inc., one of the world's earliest and largest downloadable game publishers. He has over 20 patents related to online game publishing and is a speaker and technology columnist on GPGPU programming today.

and here is the response from his own daughter calling him a jackass

On [his] blog, they uncovered extremely distasteful recruiting slides and supplemental blogs with revolting opinions regarding women, minorities and the mentally handicapped in the tech industry. Since these findings, countless others and I have found ourselves at a loss for words how anyone, especially someone in a position of power, can think that it is acceptable to broadcast such offensive material.

As his toxic waste trash fire not only is associated with my last name but also my face, I felt compelled to respond to my father’s sexist, ableist, and racist rants.

(Important disclaimer: I have not lived with or near my father for many years and I lead an independent existence. I very strongly disagree with his opinions but have unfortunately ignored them for too many years.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why is the creator of WildTangent talking about "great games?"

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

I LOVE WAGE SLAVERY posted:

"Don’t be in the game industry if you can’t love all 80 hours/week of it — you’re taking a job from somebody who would really value it.

lol get hosed.

have fun working unpaid overtime making candy crush clones.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alright, I will take my family to work, have them cook lunch using Amazon stock etc., thanks Jeff.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Many modern game developers have embraced a culture of victimology and a bad attitude toward their chosen vocations. They complain that the long hours and personal sacrifices great games require are a consequence of poor management. They want to pretend that they can turn an inherently entrepreneurial endeavor like game development into a 9-to-5 job. Somehow, these people have managed to adopt a wage-slave attitude toward one of the most remarkable and privileged careers in the world.

I know I’m going to offend a lot of people by saying this, but I do so with the hope that a few will wake up and shake off their mental shackles. I’ll grant that it’s been 23 years since I used an outhouse or had to hunt for dinner, but I’m still thrilled by the incredibly decadent luxury of porcelain toilets and fast food. I can’t begin to imagine how sheltered the lives of modern technology employees must be to think that any amount of hours they spend pushing a mouse around for a paycheck is really demanding strenuous work. I’ve hired thousands of people over the years and can’t help but notice the increasing frequency with which I encounter people with a wage-slave attitude toward making video games.

I also used to use an outhouse and hunt for dinner and I'd rather go back to that than code for 12 hours a day or whatever bad labor practice he's defending

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

it routinely amazes me that people in the west have been so thoroughly domesticated that pieces of poo poo like that are never put down by someone theyve abused

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Wheeee posted:

it routinely amazes me that people in the west have been so thoroughly domesticated that pieces of poo poo like that are never put down by someone theyve abused

Even though it is an extremely tired word, "sheeple" is still an accurate description for most people

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

go ahead and read the rest if you wanna get real mad

btw this is the author:

and here is the response from his own daughter calling him a jackass

On [his] blog, they uncovered extremely distasteful recruiting slides and supplemental blogs with revolting opinions regarding women, minorities and the mentally handicapped in the tech industry. Since these findings, countless others and I have found ourselves at a loss for words how anyone, especially someone in a position of power, can think that it is acceptable to broadcast such offensive material.

As his toxic waste trash fire not only is associated with my last name but also my face, I felt compelled to respond to my father’s sexist, ableist, and racist rants.

(Important disclaimer: I have not lived with or near my father for many years and I lead an independent existence. I very strongly disagree with his opinions but have unfortunately ignored them for too many years.)

this douche aside, I'd advise any young and malleable goons reading this, who still haven't decided what industry you want to wage slave yourself in for the next 50 years, to never try to turn a hobby you enjoy into a career.

Nothing will kill your love of video games faster then beta-testing some garbage game for 11 hours a day or spitting out code.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/993953079203717120

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

yeah, sure, but Jeremy Corbyn is loony

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
*lady bracknell voice* A packet clutch?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its kind of cool looking tbh. bit expensive tho

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
THe wealthy shall hang from their crisp packet clutches.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fashion has nothing to do with aesthetics, its all about status and signaling

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheeee posted:

So, keeping your poo poo in an used crisp bag made of gold signals "I'm loving garbage but still so much richer than you"?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Teal posted:

So, keeping your poo poo in an used crisp bag made of gold signals "I'm loving garbage but still so much richer than you"?

yes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wheeee posted:

What about the jumpers

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Wheeee posted:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Wheeee posted:

Oscar Wilde delivered a series of lectures in Wild West mining towns on Aestheticism and singled out the American gold miner - a working class icon - as a hero of (masculine) aesthetics. He praised the pervasive long hair, loose-fitting & sturdy clothing, the leathers and blend of tones.

Not really a propos of anything, just thought of it from this post.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

thinkin bout oscar wilde getting hosed in the rear end by gold miners

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Do you boys know how to shovel coal?"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

an actual dog posted:

thinkin bout oscar wilde getting hosed in the rear end by gold miners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Is there a good collected works of Oscar Wilde available?