Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Did an open mic with my wife last night while on vacation. Third time playing in front of people, and by far the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

I got a Kurzweil 1200, an 88 key variably weighted keyboard, with state of the 80s art sampling and full midi support for 300 dollars off craigslist. I think pianos are maybe the single best instrument to buy used.

I bought a used digital piano off craigslist too. Yamaha p105. But after I took it home, I learned that it was FILLED with live cockroaches.

I'm sure yours is fine, but it couldn't hurt to put a screwdriver to it and check the inside just in case.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I bought a used digital piano off craigslist too. Yamaha p105. But after I took it home, I learned that it was FILLED with live cockroaches.

I'm sure yours is fine, but it couldn't hurt to put a screwdriver to it and check the inside just in case.

Did you at least get some footage in black and white for a kickass industrial video?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you have Rocksmith 2014 (or know how to read Rocksmith tracks and just want to use YouTube), this is a really pretty song that's also incredibly easy to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7UqWXQh46U

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Leck posted:

Long shot, but if you're anywhere near Austin, I'm selling one of those right now, and I'd definitely do some kind of goon discount to not deal with Craigslist/Facebook marketplace people.

I’m in Florida but you’re a lovely swell dude or lady for that, I appreciate the offer :)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

If you have Rocksmith 2014 (or know how to read Rocksmith tracks and just want to use YouTube), this is a really pretty song that's also incredibly easy to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7UqWXQh46U

Isn't that just the adagio movement from Concierto de Aranjuez?

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

It is but the name comes from Miles Davis' version of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Isn't that just the adagio movement from Concierto de Aranjuez?

Yeah, it's a quasi-cover of that part. Hence the name "Sketches of Spain (For Miles)".

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I bought a new MIM strat about two months ago after playing a bunch of guitars at the store and settling on this one as I found it incredibly comfortable to play (I also have an MIM tele and a Yamaha classical). I play it pretty much every day, and just last night I noticed that the pickguard to the left of the neck pickup is raised slightly off the wood (the space is about two 50mm picks in width) and I'm not sure when this happened. Is this normal or something to worry about?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Supersonic posted:

I bought a new MIM strat about two months ago after playing a bunch of guitars at the store and settling on this one as I found it incredibly comfortable to play (I also have an MIM tele and a Yamaha classical). I play it pretty much every day, and just last night I noticed that the pickguard to the left of the neck pickup is raised slightly off the wood (the space is about two 50mm picks in width) and I'm not sure when this happened. Is this normal or something to worry about?

Has it been in the heat? It is probably warping a bit unless it has been screwed in too tight. It isn’t an issue that you probably need to worry about unless it bothers you.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Not really. I bought it in the winter and with the Spring finally here its been at most 24C in my room and it hasn't been exposed to direct sunlight or anything. It doesn't bother me I just wasn't sure if it was gonna get worse or anything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

... or just dip the whole goddamn keyboard in RAID.

Holy poo poo what a nightmare.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

Did you at least get some footage in black and white for a kickass industrial video?

sadly no

but i definitely have some footage of a madagascar hissing cockroach awkwardly trying to complete a maze

while i go look for it, here's a truly disturbing video showing how madagascar hissing cockroach babbys are formed (not mine). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhOGQINu0lk

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Godammit I just bought a Squier Sunburst Strat on ebay. I need to sell some poo poo before that guitar arrives next week and my wife starts in with questions like "Who's going to cover the mortgage" or "how will we eat?"

Soooo anybody wanna but some pedals or mics or a blue sax or one of my children?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

magnificent7 posted:

Godammit I just bought a Squier Sunburst Strat on ebay. I need to sell some poo poo before that guitar arrives next week and my wife starts in with questions like "Who's going to cover the mortgage" or "how will we eat?"

Soooo anybody wanna but some pedals or mics or a blue sax or one of my children?

Just post the gear, dude.

And pics

Of the wife

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

magnificent7 posted:

The little league team I coach needs an upgrade at third base. Please post a basic skills video and scouting report on any kids aged 8-10 and I may make you an offer.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lumpy posted:

The little league team I coach needs an upgrade at third base. Please post a basic skills video and scouting report on any kids aged 8-10 and I may make you an offer.

Videos of my kids? I'm glad you asked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfHCYwYyclk

And okay sure I'll post my poo poo for sale that makes too much sense.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Not sure if there is a better thread for this, but I didn't see one. I really love the guitar tone on this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvKiGiLCIow

but I'm just starting out and I have no idea how to approach a similar sound. What kind of general EQ settings / pickup position / pedals would I be looking at if I wanted to replicate that sort of sound?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Sounds like a P-90 or vintage-output humbucker in the bridge position to me but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else thinks differently.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Anime Reference posted:

Sounds like a P-90 or vintage-output humbucker in the bridge position to me but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else thinks differently.

I found a video of a live performance and it looks like a Gibson semi-hollow body of some kind, but it's too grainy to get a good look at the pickups. Maybe someone with a better eye can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIlm6ElgIk

edit: -v drat, nice catch. Don't think I'm gonna be able to afford any of that in the forseeable future, so I'll probably look into a semi-hollow with P90s to get close. I just love that tone and it suits the kind of music I like to play really well.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 11, 2018

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Looks like a Harmony Meteor with DeArmond mustache pickups

http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=209

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Do wah pedals bug people with a good ear for pitch?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
solid username/post combo

i think a wah pedal just dynamically EQs your signal. wouldn't perfect-pitch types would be more upset by things like wammy bars, which gently caress up your tuning the moment you touch them

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah wah is like a band pass filter, it doesn't change pitch.

Anyone want to buy a Yamaha THR10x in the UK? £160 posted.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

...and the pitch! posted:

Do wah pedals bug people with a good ear for pitch?

It depends, is Kirk Hammett using it?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I found a video of a live performance and it looks like a Gibson semi-hollow body of some kind, but it's too grainy to get a good look at the pickups. Maybe someone with a better eye can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIlm6ElgIk

edit: -v drat, nice catch. Don't think I'm gonna be able to afford any of that in the forseeable future, so I'll probably look into a semi-hollow with P90s to get close. I just love that tone and it suits the kind of music I like to play really well.

Well, you're in luck! Eastwood has a reissue of almost that model.

Of course, doing your tone-hunting through gear is the most expensive and inefficient way to go about it. The big thing is figuring out what's going on in a sound, and (most important) what it is you like about it. The first part we can help you with: it's a single coil in the bridge position, going through some compression into a clean amp. You can probably even run the track through a frequency analyzer VST and see what parts of the EQ are boosted or cut - mostly to train your ear to recognize how different frequency ranges affect tone. A lot of what's going on is attack and picking technique, naturally, which involves a lot of interaction with the compressor and amp.

As for the second part, well, that's on you. Think about all the different guitar sounds that really speak to you, and what they have in common... or don't. They're all navigational waypoints on your journey, but remember that they're only places other people paused at - you didn't see everything they did leading up to the recording, and you don't know what they were thinking when their hands were moving on the strings. Just like your heroes, you'll need to find your own way.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

This is bullshit

You need to start spending $100,000 on a vintage amp, $50,000 on a vintage guitar, and $5,000 on vintage pedals to be able to make that sound. And then another $500,000 on vintage recording equipment to announce to the world you have "that sound". Things like playing technique and finding your own sound is poo poo amateurs that don't take out a second mortgage to relive their imagined youth after they realize that they'll never make partner, their kids hate them, and their wife is loving her tennis instructor.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Gringostar posted:

This is bullshit

You need to start spending $100,000 on a vintage amp, $50,000 on a vintage guitar, and $5,000 on vintage pedals to be able to make that sound. And then another $500,000 on vintage recording equipment to announce to the world you have "that sound". Things like playing technique and finding your own sound is poo poo amateurs that don't take out a second mortgage to relive their imagined youth after they realize that they'll never make partner, their kids hate them, and their wife is loving her tennis instructor.

^ This guy knows how to TheGearPage

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Re: wah chat, all pitches are made up of the harmonic series pitches so technically you could sweep up through that. Eventually you’ll hit some notes not in tune with other instruments but it’s always kind of in tune with itself. Depends on how much distortion is being used too and the guitars tone.

If I wasn’t phone posting I’d make more of a point of it but basically the answer is maybe sometimes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

After The War posted:

Well, you're in luck! Eastwood has a reissue of almost that model.

Of course, doing your tone-hunting through gear is the most expensive and inefficient way to go about it. The big thing is figuring out what's going on in a sound, and (most important) what it is you like about it. The first part we can help you with: it's a single coil in the bridge position, going through some compression into a clean amp. You can probably even run the track through a frequency analyzer VST and see what parts of the EQ are boosted or cut - mostly to train your ear to recognize how different frequency ranges affect tone. A lot of what's going on is attack and picking technique, naturally, which involves a lot of interaction with the compressor and amp.

As for the second part, well, that's on you. Think about all the different guitar sounds that really speak to you, and what they have in common... or don't. They're all navigational waypoints on your journey, but remember that they're only places other people paused at - you didn't see everything they did leading up to the recording, and you don't know what they were thinking when their hands were moving on the strings. Just like your heroes, you'll need to find your own way.

Oh for sure, I don't want it to seem like I'm thinking I'll buy the dude's gear and suddenly sound just like him or anything, I just wanted a general idea of what went into that sound because it's close to what I'd really like. Part of it was just feeling out what sort of factors go into it - it's like if someone really loves that twangy Tele sound, yeah there's a lot more going into it than just the guitar, but having a Tele would put you much closer than trying to approximate it on a Les Paul or something. I'm just going to be in the market for a new guitar in the next year or two anyway so I figured I'd try to snag something that was maybe a bit more naturally suited to that style.

I just genuinely had no idea what was even going on with it in terms of EQ / effects, etc., so the info on pickup position and the use of a compressor is very helpful, since that's stuff I can experiment with on any kind of gear. I'd never considered using a frequency analyzer to help train my ear either, which sounds like a great idea - I have a lot of trouble telling just from listening when, say, the mids are scooped or something. I can usually pick out the really extreme examples, but that's about it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Can get something like that from my cheapo Yamaha AEX 502. P90 hollowbody that's quite affordable.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Oh for sure, I don't want it to seem like I'm thinking I'll buy the dude's gear and suddenly sound just like him or anything, I just wanted a general idea of what went into that sound because it's close to what I'd really like. Part of it was just feeling out what sort of factors go into it - it's like if someone really loves that twangy Tele sound, yeah there's a lot more going into it than just the guitar, but having a Tele would put you much closer than trying to approximate it on a Les Paul or something. I'm just going to be in the market for a new guitar in the next year or two anyway so I figured I'd try to snag something that was maybe a bit more naturally suited to that style.

I just genuinely had no idea what was even going on with it in terms of EQ / effects, etc., so the info on pickup position and the use of a compressor is very helpful, since that's stuff I can experiment with on any kind of gear. I'd never considered using a frequency analyzer to help train my ear either, which sounds like a great idea - I have a lot of trouble telling just from listening when, say, the mids are scooped or something. I can usually pick out the really extreme examples, but that's about it.

Oh, I didn't think you were, really - I just wanted to give a shout-out to Eastwood because I've been playing my baritone so much lately, and like their approach in general.

You don't need to go all-out with a frequency analyzer, of course - just boosting and cutting bands out in the EQ when you're listening will do it. Try to get the guitar part as isolated as you can, first - a good mix can make this surprisingly tricky if the instruments aren't heavily panned.

Winamp is so goddamned useful for stuff like that, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My Edwards P90 equipped LP sounds so much better than my Gibson LP to my ears it's unreal. I've got replacement pickups in the post for the Gibson, I hope they make a difference.

Question: what's the fingering for this?

It's one of the little interludes from 'Ain't talkin 'bout Love' and I just can't get it working with my index on 17 and ring on 20 (both strings). Any thoughts?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would use my index and pinky for all of it and hit the bends with my ring finger.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Anime Reference posted:

Ibanez has a cheapo psuedo-SG coming out soon that I like the look of (GAX30) and I plan to tune it to B for use as a stoner/Swedish-death machine.

No sweet leaf, though. Sorry for being a square.

Got a bigger-than-usual paycheck today thanks to a bunch of overtime so I just put my order in. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I thought about getting it in black and putting a big ol' Baphomet sticker on it but it's not available in black yet, plus I already have a black guitar I like a lot so I got it in cherry instead.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve considered setting my SG (first guitar I owned, best to poo poo SG Firebrand) up as a downtuned metal guitar. I don’t play it enough compared to Strat and giving it a specific role would be nice. I’ve had it in B and it’s just a little too muddy for my preferences. I could settle with D standard and call it my Death machine.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve considered setting my SG (first guitar I owned, best to poo poo SG Firebrand) up as a downtuned metal guitar. I don’t play it enough compared to Strat and giving it a specific role would be nice. I’ve had it in B and it’s just a little too muddy for my preferences. I could settle with D standard and call it my Death machine.

Does it even intonate in B? I have a hard enough time with Fender scale-length intonation in C, seems like it'd be impossible on a Gibson length in B.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The trick is to be out of tune in as many ways as possible and hope they cancel out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

What string guage are you using? I like 54 for the low B on my Vintage SG ripoff thing.

Also I've noticed today the only place in town that sells guitar strings wants 2 quid more for Beefy Slinkies than the rest of the range, bloody liberty it is cor blimey.