Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's explained in God Emperor, something like 'early priestesses spoke to fish in their dreams'. I don't loving know, it seemed weird to me too.

That rings a bell and still strikes me as weird and incomprehensible, even for Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So is it just the Fremen who call the planet Dune?

I'll be over here hanging out with the natives on planet Lake, m'self

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's explained in God Emperor, something like 'early priestesses spoke to fish in their dreams'. I don't loving know, it seemed weird to me too.

their nuns following a heavily distorted christian mythology thats combined with various syncretic elements.

This is the fish sign and the fish that their early members talked to: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys

from the dune encyclopedia:

quote:

Yet, as a divine life symbol in many cultures, the Vesica Piscis was an oval figure pointed at both ends and representing the air bladder of the fish.
A silver fish was once worn by members of a secret society called Aram-el, but was abandoned in order to conciliate a powerful rival organization that was jealous of the fish's use as an emblem. Aram-el's need to defend itself gave rise to a military faction which gradually absorbed other groups and grew to become the Fish Speakers. The first leader of this group had a series of dreams in which one such silver emblem grew large and lifelike and began to speak, warning of future trials and cautioning the leadership to develop military prowess for religious purposes, although these were at first obscure. It was the second generation leader to whom was revealed that the purpose of Aram-el was to defend a god-king. Thereafter members being initiated into Aram-el took their vows by placing their hands religious of the group secretly reverenced the same object as a fetish. No wonder that this fish spoke to them in dreams, and the more devout could verify their sincerity by reports of those dreams. As time-passed, other rituals and more precise vows replaced these early forms, but the military women who protect and defend the God-king were thereafter known as Fish Speakers and became Brides of the God-King, in preparation of that day when such a visitation would occur.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Remember that time the Fish Speaker has an orgasm from watching Duncan scale a cliff?

Edit: what’s up with Siyanoq?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
powerful excerpt from near the end of the first book

quote:

"You promised me a Harkonnen!" Gurney hissed, and Paul marked the rage in the man's face, the way the inkvine scar stood out dark and ridged. "You ower it to me, m'Lord!"
"Have you suffered more from them than I?" Paul asked.
"My sister, Gurney rasped. "My years in the slave pits-"
"My father, Paul said. "My good friends and companions, Thufir Hawat and Duncan Idaho, [borat voice] My Wife."

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

Shots fired: Denis Villeneuve says his Dune will be "Star Wars for adults"
AV Club-Jan. 19, 2018

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Edit: what’s up with Siyanoq?
i dunno man but id like to be a duncan in the middle of that know what im sayin ;)

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
you’d like to be in the middle of a bunch of Fish Speakers getting really angry about lesbians?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Im filled with just enough self loathing to admit I loved the butlerian jihad and the prelude to dune series when I read them. In my defense I was like 14 years old. Still remember thinking the part in one of the prelude books where someone jumps their ship into the planet Ix as part of the overarching plot being totally rad :hellyeah:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Murray Mantoinette posted:

you’d like to be in the middle of a bunch of Fish Speakers getting really angry about lesbians?

please don't kinkshame

Biplane posted:

Im filled with just enough self loathing to admit I loved the butlerian jihad and the prelude to dune series when I read them. In my defense I was like 14 years old. Still remember thinking the part in one of the prelude books where someone jumps their ship into the planet Ix as part of the overarching plot being totally rad :hellyeah:

Nah you're good 14 years is the ideal target audience for KJA

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think it is part of every sci-fi fan’s life growth to realize one day that KJA stuff is total poo poo. There is no shame in that, it is natural and beautiful.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was looking for good dune pics to bump the thread with and heres what i came up with

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bupm

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Herbert admits to using Freudian symbols as well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

Herbert admits to using Freudian symbols as well.

Sandpenis

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

I think it is part of every sci-fi fan’s life growth to realize one day that KJA stuff is total poo poo. There is no shame in that, it is natural and beautiful.

darksaber was the first book that I ever realized was poorly written. i read literally the entire sci-fi/fantasy section at my library and spent every dollar I could get ahold of on buying more genre fiction and kevin j anderson was the one who wrote a book so awful that it featured lazers and aliens and still couldn't appeal to 13 year old me. he broke me of reading every single star wars and star trek novel that came out

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Brian Herbert with a gleam in his eye

"That's my guy!".

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

SickZip posted:

darksaber was the first book that I ever realized was poorly written. i read literally the entire sci-fi/fantasy section at my library and spent every dollar I could get ahold of on buying more genre fiction and kevin j anderson was the one who wrote a book so awful that it featured lazers and aliens and still couldn't appeal to 13 year old me. he broke me of reading every single star wars and star trek novel that came out

Same but Battlefield Earth.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

SickZip posted:

Same but Eragon with fiction in general. It taught me the idea that an idiotic, terribly written book that is literally point for point, scene for scene, and character for character a retelling of A New Hope can get published and a fair amount of publicity and even a low budget movie if the author’s parents own a publishing house.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 24, 2018

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

omg

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

SickZip posted:

Horus Heresy was my saviour. Around the same time I was also reading actual good literature and I was like, 'this is not hard to read because I am bad at reading, it's just incoherent poo poo!'

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

paul_soccer10 posted:

i was looking for good dune pics to bump the thread with and heres what i came up with

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I wake up every morning and thank Shai'Tane for blessing me with a good thread in gbs about Dune.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I wake up every day and open palm slap a bunch of cinnamon seeking enlightenment.

Usually I just end up coughing a bunch.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

I wake up every morning and thank Shai'Tane for blessing me with a good thread in gbs about Dune.

Its AMAZING.
This thread has been my biggest surprise

Then the crab thread

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

shout out to the time baron harkonnen caught feyd trying to kill him and made him kill all his favourite sex slaves as punishment

THS
Sep 15, 2017

harsh, but fair

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I work at a breakfast joint and was training a new dude on fry station, which is my sietch. I mentioned in the industry thread that this guy turned out to be the Kwisatz Haderach of frying, for he knew my ways as if born to them. A clever goon replied:

"Train him on grill next. His name is a grilling word!"

That's when I realized our grill guy's name is Paul. :stare:

(no one at work will get this, so i just needed to share with y'all)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Test him with your gom jabbar.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I think a major development in any consumer of media, is the realization that you just read/heard/watched something bad. Not that it was uninteresting to you, or that you didn't get it, but that it was bad. It is a big day.

I am up to Children in my reread. I am more convinced than ever of my Mathematical Prescience idea. However Alia and later Paul both seem to forget this in Messiah, due to the stress of trying to avoid the "bad path". Perhaps that is why Paul's vision ended, although my dominant theory is still that the vision has been handed to Leto. I had forgotten that Paul never saw Leto in the vision.

Vlex posted:

shout out to the time baron harkonnen caught feyd trying to kill him and made him kill all his favourite sex slaves as punishment
Not just that, but every agent the Baron could identify in his organization. He recognized that Hawat was engineering factionalism within the Family and needed to show Feyd it was both dangerous and unnecessary.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 9, 2018

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Vlex posted:

Feyd also almost got himself killed when he gladiatored an orange dude who turned out to be orange from spray tan and not from space xanax.

And he tried to kill the Baron by hiding a poison needle in one of his twinks.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
CHOAM :chome:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

choam gang

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Netflix never has poo poo. Tried to look for dune and it suggested altered carbon, whatever the hell that is

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Netflix never has poo poo. Tried to look for dune and it suggested altered carbon, whatever the hell that is

it’s a neo noir detective show with a lot of full frontal nudity. It does have gholas though...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Netflix had Dune until last year, I think. Or something.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Ok, so our guys made the move to the desert planet. The doctor dude tried to kill the kid, but he got away. The Duke seems chill and they just rescued some people from a giant sandworm. There is a planetologist dude who is grumpy for now. If I understood correctly, the desert suits let people pee and poo directly into them which is cool. Oh yeah, there's some scraggly old woman hanging with the concubine who seems cool. Not sure what the deal is with those knives yet, but whatever.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

On that topic, why is it The Shadout Mapes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Because she is the Shadout Mapes.