Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So, Xoti's lantern gathering of souls is going to end up being a straight evil thing and not "guiding them back to the wheel", right? No way that's being played straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are there any modding tools yet? Interested in just browsing through the game files for all the cool weapons and stuff.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

canepazzo posted:

So, Xoti's lantern gathering of souls is going to end up being a straight evil thing and not "guiding them back to the wheel", right? No way that's being played straight.

well at least it gives you a cool ability that you can use in battle[. other than that, guess we will see how it plays out. I assume there will be a decision to release them back to the wheel (Berath) or give them to Eothas so he can do whatever he's trying to do

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So what's the process for custom portraits in this? For whatever reason at least one of the portraits from the first game isn't in this and it happens to be the one I used for my dude. I notice there seems to be 4 variations instead of 2 now and some of them are in some sort of sepia style? Ugh what a pain in the rear end.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Has anyone successfully recruited Fassina yet? I did her little side quest and I'm not getting the option, wondering if I did it wrong or if there's something else I have to do first.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A portrait pack including the process for making your own is on page 22 of the thread

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

is the "import PoE1 story glitches" occurring only when you import your PoE1 save, or does it also occur if you create a custom background and then load that? i had no idea that importing your save didn't work right and even though i'm only on the starting island i don't want to be playing through the game if it isn't actually going to read my decisions correctly.

does everything work right with a custom background?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Freaking Crumbum posted:

is the "import PoE1 story glitches" occurring only when you import your PoE1 save, or does it also occur if you create a custom background and then load that? i had no idea that importing your save didn't work right and even though i'm only on the starting island i don't want to be playing through the game if it isn't actually going to read my decisions correctly.

Both have problems, according to reports.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No seriously, how am I supposed to get close enough to land an Assassinate hit from stealth? I’m on the verge of rerolling out of Assassin because I can’t figure out how to use the subclass ability. It’s only once per fight too, unless invisibility becomes cheap and common...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

I still use Cipher powers more for crowd control (down a guy and snag Concentration, Whispers of Treason his buddy) but if you build Focus quickly you absolutely delete high priority threats.

Outright deleting a motherfucker every now and again does sound like a really good time. That's something that could tempt me away from pure Monk, I think.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Started with monk + cipher (transcendent), felt a bit lackluster to me. Switched to cipher (soul blade) + rogue (assassin), for maximum edgy class names and so far it's a ton of fun. The rogue escape ability that you get right off the bat is incredibly useful as an escape or a quick engage. Your opening shot from stealth does a lot of damage, which you then get to follow up on with soul annihilation for a second burst attack. Sling the cipher charm at a second enemy after quickly bursting one down, or fire off a blind if there's more than one additional. Solid, fun combo if not a bit on the fragile side.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Figured it out, turns out you have to restart the game in order for it to recognize new portraits. Game could definitely do with an option to just jump straight to character creation once you've seen the intro once.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

No seriously, how am I supposed to get close enough to land an Assassinate hit from stealth? I’m on the verge of rerolling out of Assassin because I can’t figure out how to use the subclass ability. It’s only once per fight too, unless invisibility becomes cheap and common...

Try approaching from behind, or you can alternatively have the rest of the party initiate combat so you can use Escape to teleport near an enemy and murder them before you get noticed. Obviously, you'll want high stealth either way (I hope you multiclassed!)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Subjunctive posted:

i've had luck manually stealthing the assassin up to the target after they're already engaged in combat. basically have your tank run in and grab their attention, keep your stabby guy out of combat and stealthed, and when the enemy engages the tank, walk your stabby guy around outside the target's vision cone and then attack them from the back.

it seems like different monsters detect your stealth at a faster rate than others, even once combat has started and they're engaged with another target, but i have no idea what factor determines that. presumably your stealth score, but i've no idea what monster quality opposes that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s a second-tier rogue ability that grants combat concealment. With empower replenish you should be able to use it three or four times in a fight.

As for stealth I’m pretty sure there’s a grace period after detection when backstab will still apply

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So what the penetration mechanics and rough armor values now? Trying to figure out if this +2 Pen -15 Deflection modal is worth messing with.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

They're both jacked. To give you an early non-spoilery example, importing my disillusioned Eder save had him with lines and equipment matching his faith reaffirmed ending during the intro; making a custom background with him disillusioned had him saying lines corresponding to the ending where his quest wasn't completed at all. I've seen plenty of reports about issues further in as well.

I guess the moral is that if you care you should just wait for the patch to be safe, or try a wild and crazy run to rack up Berath blessings until then or something.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Subjunctive posted:

You can open combat with another party member, most enemies are fast enough to run up to you before they reveal the Assassin. And once you're in combat their facing is naturally more predictable.
That kinda worked in the beta, at least. Might not work so well with lovely low level Stealth, and I didn't find the Assassin that great in the beta. (There are strong solo builds using it but that seems like the most excruciating poo poo to play.)

And invisibility does become common, although not necessarily cheap.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Streetfighter supremacy.

But I sneak up on enemies all the time. To pockpocket. Make sure you're outside their hearing ring (stealth icon at your feet should be clear or yellow), don't approach in enemy vision cones, invest in Stealth.

In PoE1 backstab worked with melee weapons so long as you queued up the attack from stealth even if the target revealed you as you approached. Not sure if that is still the case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, thanks for the stealth tips. I’ll give it another try.

derra posted:

Make sure you're outside their hearing ring

How do I arrange that? The rings are pretty big. Do they get smaller as I raise Stealth?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Figured it out, turns out you have to restart the game in order for it to recognize new portraits. Game could definitely do with an option to just jump straight to character creation once you've seen the intro once.

Is there a new process for making custom portraits available? Do I need four different versions of the image file?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Goons I never played Pillars 1, but this seems pretty interesting. Am I good to start here and use the context pop up things or is that a bad call? Never really played one of these games, but I’m familiar with 5e and Pathfinder.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The story to Pillars 1 gets explained like twice in the opening 5 minutes so it should be ok with a little work on your part. There's tooltips for lore terms during the dialogue.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Warbird posted:

Goons I never played Pillars 1, but this seems pretty interesting. Am I good to start here and use the context pop up things or is that a bad call? Never really played one of these games, but I’m familiar with 5e and Pathfinder.

You'd likely be fine. There's a quasi-recap in the opening and important concepts and terms in dialogue can be moused over for an explanation.

E: beaten.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Early portrait of my Watcher who is definitely a seasoned scary sea captain and not an idiot landlubber who has no idea how to wear an eyepatch.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

canepazzo posted:

Xoti is like my most hated RPG party member in years, in a good way. I love making her mad and saying gently caress off and stay away from my souls.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

OK, thanks for the stealth tips. I’ll give it another try.

How do I arrange that? The rings are pretty big. Do they get smaller as I raise Stealth?

No, they fill up slower as stealth increases. The are also smaller when enemies are moving.

Enemies will be aware something is up if you are in the ring, even if they haven't pinpointed / revealed you yet. If your stealth indicator isn't clear or mostly clear, back out of the hearing ring. It will not go down unless you are outside. Once the icon is red they know where you generally are and will walk over to reveal you. You can still backstab them though, so long as you get to them before the red circle fills completely. Only then are you revealed and can't backstab / see you steal their loot / unlock their chest / etc.

Also FYI unlocking red locked containers / doors is noticed by inhabitants of the Deadfire, unlike Dyrwoodians who only cared if th hey saw you actually take the loot FYI.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I have all of the full Companions after like 5 hours of normal non-rushed play in one night. Jesus, seeing streamers go like three full days of 8 hour streaming without finding Maia or Pallegina is excruciating.

I'm eager to jump into scripting my AI companions tonight.

Aloth is ruining fools as a front line Wizard/Rogue with a rapier and this club I bought in the first town. The club modal opens up enemies for some devastating CC attacks from Serafen, which in turn leads to some devastating sneak attacks from Aloth.

Early game MVP was Xoti with her Gaun specific level one spell because drat. She's a full priest but fully capable of mixing it up on the front line still.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Baby T. Love posted:

Updating my video drivers fixed my problem, friend. On that forum someone else had a similar problem that was fixed by playing in Fullscreen, and a dev was suggesting making sure your Windows was in English or somesuch. Good luck to you.

Huh. The Nvidia 397.64 drivers actually have an optimization profile for Deadfire. Wouldn't have expect that.

Turning off the in-game Steam overlay fixed the mouse click problem for me, but I'll update my drivers anyway.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

As much as his personality clashes with my PC's, I'm tickled by Leaden Key Aloth's status as the most bumbling cult leader ever.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Wow does ship combat suck rancid rear end

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

nessin posted:

Obsidian really missed the mark by not having the equivalent to the sarcastic renegade (Mass Effect)/aggressive (Dragon Age) conversation options. I really want to play through this game on POTD from the approach of "gently caress everything, I've done and seen poo poo you can't imagine while having been resurrected with part of my soul being co-opted by a god that I'm probably going to have to kill and you think you can threaten me or demand some pitiful non-world defining task?" Even the intimadate conversation options fall well short, so the only way to play like that is to just take the instant combat dialog options and it's going to feel weak if I go through with it.

The "I'm the harbinger of Berath come to stop Eothas" dialogue options have some REALLY I'm too important for you consequences. Especially when the dock-hands come up to you in Neketaka. Not sure if you had to empower Berath or not in your PoE 1 save.

Like, always be honest about working for Berath in this game. It owns bones and gives you that feeling you want.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Was Pillars 1 the one where you could play as a skeleton but had to wear armor to keep people from finding out and freaking the hell out? Hell, should I just go play 1 or are the QoL improvements in 2 good enough to justify skipping it for a while?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Warbird posted:

Was Pillars 1 the one where you could play as a skeleton but had to wear armor to keep people from finding out and freaking the hell out? Hell, should I just go play 1 or are the QoL improvements in 2 good enough to justify skipping it for a while?

You're thinking of Divinity Original Sin 2, another great game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

okay i just found Worthless Idiot and the game has been redeemed

He's in Pereki's Overlook just west of the Watershaper Temple, he'll join your ship crew and is apparently a navigator

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
nooo pallegina wouldn't be my friend she was my off tank in poe 1

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Blowing up gunpowder barrels is fun. IMO.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So far game rules, just got my ship

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kith posted:

Wow does ship combat suck rancid rear end

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/4

reminder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Blowing up gunpowder barrels is fun. IMO.

One imp in a room full of barrels + fan of flames

No kill like overkill.