Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Finally finished my hangar bay board, which pretty much guarantees I’ll never play this game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

head58 posted:

Finally finished my hangar bay board, which pretty much guarantees I’ll never play this game again.

That shreds major scrote. You got little spaceship dollies for it? You got a piece of translucent blue plastic and a little starfield printout under that opening?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

No proper scale ships for it yet but I have a template for a paper craft shuttle “head” I’ll park at one end, and one of those Disneyworld popcorn AT-ATs on the way.

Oh, and one of these.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

How much longevity do you think this game has? I am holding out for Battle Droids or customizable Jedi/Sith characters personally, but having seen a few games at the local shop it looks neat. Star Wars is such a limited setting I worry that after Stormtroopers and Snowtroopers there isn't a ton of recognizable stuff left at the scale the game represents.

I really hope now that i've invested in this game it sticks around. But FFG has been pretty good at coming up with stuff to put in their games, including making this up as needed, and I think there's plenty of material to draw from people have mentioned here. (A Bossk special forces or commander would be awesome)

I feel like FFG is making the same mistake FFG made with X-wing, not planning the factions well enough, which lead to the recent X-wing 2.0.

I really hope the two factions become more different from each other with later expansions.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

head58 posted:

No proper scale ships for it yet but I have a template for a paper craft shuttle “head” I’ll park at one end, and one of those Disneyworld popcorn AT-ATs on the way.

Oh, and one of these.

Oh you got a cAT-TE, sweet.

Edit: I can’t believe I missed CAT-AT.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 8, 2018

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

So I played 2 more games tonight as the empire against a rebel player.

This time my opponent had the air speeder. (with 4 troops and Luke)

first game was capture the transmission objective. I tried to flank with my AT-ST, but got flanked by the speeder and destroyed. At the end of round 2 he held all 3 of the objectives, for 3 victory points. There was no way I was going to remove him from the middle objective, where he had most of his troops, so there was no way I could possibly win, so I forfeited.

Second was key positions. I tried to keep my AT-ST back against the start area, and use it as a turret against the speeder. The speeder came in with a lucky shot that did 4 damage, but I managted to kill the speeder in few riounds, but a troop threw a grenade and then finished off the AT-ST. We each had an objective, but I didn't want to charge to the leg of a destroyed AT-AT that was the center objective because Luke was standing right on the other side, and my experiences from the other game I mentioned (Luke stabbing and running), I knew I had to clear him first, but just couldn't do it.

By the end of round 5, I had just 3 trooper squads left, and my opponent had Luke and 3 trooper squads, and then I ran out of time and had to leave.

Also, pierce X meaning you do X minimum damage is insanely powerful.

I feel like I just don't understand the strategy of this game, and it has a lot less strategy and depth than original X-wing (maneuver behind the opponent). When I try to move to dodge around my opponent, or shoot first I feel like I get punished by being slaughtered, but when I try to be careful moving to cover and using dodge I get puinished by getting hit first with lots of dice, and then not having as much to attack back with.

I feel like a weakness of Legion is because of snowballing attrition, the games are often decided by round 3-4, and it's not worth really playing past that point, where as in X-wing it usually was pretty close and you felt like you could come back.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
What army were you running?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Me?

Empire Variety (799 Pts, 7 units, 28 Figures)

General Veers 80
Commanding Presence, Esteemed Leader, Targeting Scopes,

Stormtroopers 44
DLT-19 Stormtrooper, Stormtrooper, Targeting Scopes,

Stormtroopers 44
HH-12 Stormtrooper, Stormtrooper, Targeting Scopes,

Stormtroopers 44
HH-12 Stormtrooper, Stormtrooper,

Stormtroopers 44
DLT-19 Stormtrooper, Stormtrooper,

AT-ST 195
General Weiss, 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon, AT-ST Mortar Launcher, DW-3 Concussion Grenade Launcher,

74-Z Speeder Bikes 90
Long-Range Comlink,

If I had the units, I'd like to switch in DLT-19s, but I only had 2 of each.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 9, 2018

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
There is never a good reason to run General Weiss or all 4 weapons, 3 max. Also never, ever charge ahead with the AT-ST. Place him where he can cover an objective or an avenue to an objective with his back to the board edge. Your main gun has range 4. Aim token and fire each round with the occasional pivot. Snow speeders do not last long inside the arc of an AT-ST

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Raged posted:

There is never a good reason to run General Weiss or all 4 weapons, 3 max. Also never, ever charge ahead with the AT-ST. Place him where he can cover an objective or an avenue to an objective with his back to the board edge. Your main gun has range 4. Aim token and fire each round with the occasional pivot. Snow speeders do not last long inside the arc of an AT-ST

Which 2 add-on weapons, then? My gut says 88 TLBC and Mortar Launcher.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 9, 2018

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Deviant posted:

Which 2 add-on weapons, then? My gut says 88 TLBC and Mortar Launcher.

The mortar has at best situational use. You can not use it on the same target as any other weapon. You either want to concentrate fire on a specific target as your main gun, or you want to be moving/positioning for future turns.

The LBC is an auto include in the ATST. Roughly 10% cost to add 50% damage potential is a good deal. The question then comes down to the question of the concussion grenade launcher. With a range of 2, it is going to be harder to use. You will have to get closer to those troopers in cover, and likely bring the ATST into range of more fire. But the blast keyword is going to give those troopers you can reach a really bad day. If you have the spare 15 points, I would pick the concussion launcher over some sort of comma upgrade. Otherwise just stick with the LBC.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Orvin posted:

The mortar has at best situational use. You can not use it on the same target as any other weapon. You either want to concentrate fire on a specific target as your main gun, or you want to be moving/positioning for future turns.

The LBC is an auto include in the ATST. Roughly 10% cost to add 50% damage potential is a good deal. The question then comes down to the question of the concussion grenade launcher. With a range of 2, it is going to be harder to use. You will have to get closer to those troopers in cover, and likely bring the ATST into range of more fire. But the blast keyword is going to give those troopers you can reach a really bad day. If you have the spare 15 points, I would pick the concussion launcher over some sort of comma upgrade. Otherwise just stick with the LBC.

You can use the mortar on the same target as the main gun on all targets at range 4, though?

Though for that setup, I'd do this:

DLT-19/HH-12 to taste, buy upgrades with remainder

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 9, 2018

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Deviant posted:

You can use the mortar on the same target as the main gun on all targets at range 4, though?

You are right, I mixed some things up in my head. It’s that you can’t use all 4 guns on the same target at once, as the concussion grenade launcher maxes at 2.

But still, the mortar with some white dice is not likely to add much damage. Better to shoot with the light cannon for more damage. Unless your opponent deployed poorly, the extra suppression from the mortar is not going to do much good. They need to be pretty far away from their leader before it is an issue.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I was still thinking you take the Mortar to use when you have no shots with the 1-4 main gun and the 1-3 88, ie for turns when you have no shot at range 1-4. But it's a matter of if that comes up or not.

Edit: Also, if you include the conc launcher, can't you fire it with the main gun to give all the dice blast on things at 1-2?

Edit Edit: Doesn't Weiss give the ability to shoot all 4 weapons at multiple targets?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 9, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Totally off topic but I like to imagine this mortar actually launches these:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Deviant posted:

I was still thinking you take the Mortar to use when you have no shots with the 1-4 main gun and the 1-3 88, ie for turns when you have no shot at range 1-4. But it's a matter of if that comes up or not.

Edit: Also, if you include the conc launcher, can't you fire it with the main gun to give all the dice blast on things at 1-2?

Edit Edit: Doesn't Weiss give the ability to shoot all 4 weapons at multiple targets?

1. That is exactly why you consider taking the conc launcher. When you use it on the same target as your main gun, you have 8 (I think conc is 2 Black) dice that ignore cover. It’s just that getting close is risky.

2. Yes, Weiss will let you shot at many targets. But it is a card that exhausts, so you have to recover to use it again. And between Weiss and the extra weapon or two, you could almost bring an extra trooper. You have to ask yourself, does firing all the guns at multiple targets once, or possibly twice in a game have more utility than an extra trooper? If the answer is yes, bring the fully decked out ATST. If the answer is no, bring the extra trooper.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Raged posted:

There is never a good reason to run General Weiss or all 4 weapons, 3 max.

I liked the spread of options with all 4 (though I realize now after playing a few games it's pretty rare you're going to fire all four at once with Weiss because of the spread of ranges), so I think I'm going to drop the grenade launcher, and put in another trooper squad.

Raged posted:

Also never, ever charge ahead with the AT-ST. Place him where he can cover an objective or an avenue to an objective with his back to the board edge. Your main gun has range 4. Aim token and fire each round with the occasional pivot. Snow speeders do not last long inside the arc of an AT-ST

Yeah, I learned that after the first game, and that's what I did. Like I said, I managed to take out the snow speeder, but took heavy damage from the speeder and a grenade from one of the troops.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So far all the advice I see is good, but seems predicated on Imp V Rebel matchups. Does anything change in a mirror match? I'd think no, but I'm asking.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Orvin posted:

You are right, I mixed some things up in my head. It’s that you can’t use all 4 guns on the same target at once, as the concussion grenade launcher maxes at 2.

But still, the mortar with some white dice is not likely to add much damage. Better to shoot with the light cannon for more damage. Unless your opponent deployed poorly, the extra suppression from the mortar is not going to do much good. They need to be pretty far away from their leader before it is an issue.

The ability to push that lone trooper squad on the extreme flank off an objective, or out of heavy cover, from the other side of the board is pretty good, and just the threat of it will make the enemy think twice before committing Luke/Vader to a fight. You'll also control their deployment or threaten a turn 1 squad wipe with very little investment.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but Vader doesn't doesn't get suppression tokens. The mortar is still great against Luke though.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

StuG Jeebus posted:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but Vader doesn't doesn't get suppression tokens. The mortar is still great against Luke though.

Yeah, what I mean is your opponent sending Vader to a scrum on one flank and leaving troops outside his command range.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Both airspeeders and speeder bikes need to come in pairs to be effective IMO. Just one can be picked off too easily.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Snowtroopers vs Stormtroopers.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/252851

Discuss.

Snowtroopers seem generally better. Their ability allows for Move Move Shoot, or Move Shoot Move (aka Jump Shoot Jump), and that flamethrower is *not* to be trifled with. Maybe a few units of Stormtroopers to grab objectives?

Also, ideal snowtrooper build? I think +flamethrower, +trooper, +environmental gear, and maybe grenades.

Edit Edit: 2xFlame Snowtroopers, 2xDLT-19 Stormtroopers?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 10, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Vorthos in me is annoyed that I'll have to run snowtroopers even if we're on the desert mat.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I think overall the Snowtroopers are better, (and they should be for a point more) but I expect people will miss the DLT often. I have to admit with 6 squads of Stormos already, I'm tempted to rationalize not picking up the Snows.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The advantage of snowtroopers is that two speed 1 moves is equivalent to a single speed 3 move. So as long as you are moving and shooting the snowtrooper is going to be better. Move further to shoot, or being able to aim, move a little and shoot is superior to stormtroopers.

The downside is when you didn’t want to shoot, double speed 2 move is obviously going to get the trooper further. Also, if you are using the hold action, the stormtrooper can move further to get in position for an ambush.

The neutral, as already stated is the heavy weapons. The Ion gun is a different way of dealing with armor over the HH12 rocket launcher. Incapacitate instead of destroy. And while the flamethrower is pretty scary on paper, I would want to test it a bit. I have to think it is more of a deterrent for opponent troopers assaulting a your position, than something you use to assault a position. I have to think your opponent is going to make killing that trooper group a priority.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It just occurred to me that the flame weapons aren't immune to deflection which kind of seems like an oversight.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

StuG Jeebus posted:

It just occurred to me that the flame weapons aren't immune to deflection which kind of seems like an oversight.

Please explain to me how to deflect a flamethrower with a lightsaber, even allowing for StarWarsesque suspension of disbelief.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Deviant posted:

Please explain to me how to deflect a flamethrower with a lightsaber, even allowing for StarWarsesque suspension of disbelief.

I think...that's my point?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

StuG Jeebus posted:

I think...that's my point?

You said it was an oversight, which implies you think flamethrowers should be deflectable.

I'm saying they shouldn't be deflectable because that makes no goddamn sense, even in the context of space wizards with laser swords.

Edit: Oh, they AREN'T immune to deflection. Hurr. :downs:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
A force user could just force push the flaming liquid back. I don't think deflection has to necessarily mean using the lightsaber, just that you're prepared to respond to an attack. I mean, Vader just absorbs blaster shots with his hand in Empire.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Verisimilitude va game balance :thunk:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Deviant posted:

Snowtroopers vs Stormtroopers.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/252851

Discuss.

Snowtroopers seem generally better. Their ability allows for Move Move Shoot, or Move Shoot Move (aka Jump Shoot Jump), and that flamethrower is *not* to be trifled with. Maybe a few units of Stormtroopers to grab objectives?

Also, ideal snowtrooper build? I think +flamethrower, +trooper, +environmental gear, and maybe grenades.

Edit Edit: 2xFlame Snowtroopers, 2xDLT-19 Stormtroopers?

Snowtroopers are better than stormtroopers "base", but they cost more and have less versatile weapon loadouts (their ion gun is hot garbage IMO). If the DLT-19 was available on snowtroopers they might replace stormtroopers completely - as it stands I think people might take a few units with flamers but will still use stormtroopers as their "core unit".

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've only gotten to play at launch weekend and a few casual 400-500 ish point games, but signed up for a standard 800 point tournament in three weeks from now. Gonna try a split of storm and snowtroopers, something akin to this.

Darth Vader
Force Choke, Saber Throw, Force Reflexes

Stormtroopers
DLT-19 Stormtrooper

Stormtroopers
DLT-19 Stormtrooper

Stormtroopers
DLT-19 Stormtrooper

Snowtroopers
Flametrooper

Snowtroopers
Flametrooper

AT-ST
88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon, AT-ST Mortar Launcher

Kinda stuck on Vader as a commander in spite of people seeming to generally think he's overpriced, and am split between this general list or nixing one squad and probably the mortar the squeeze in Veers. I like the idea of a second commander and having access to his one and three pip cards, but am totally unsure just looking at it on paper as to which would ultimately be more effective. I feel like maybe what he brings to the table isn't quite as potent as a fifth unit in terms of firepower and flexibility, especially considering objective play, but that's what you'd call an educated guess at best. Might go with Veers to just have a little bit more variety than anything else.

Either way I got plenty of time between now and then to bore myself silly painting a shitload of white troopers.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I need to try dipping a stormtrooper to see if it comes out any good.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Double posting because:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/11/rogue-operative/

Announcing the Boba Fett Operative Expansion for Star Wars: Legion

Also a low key reveal of SCOUT TROOPERS:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 11, 2018

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Deviant posted:

Not so low key:

Advanced Recon
Announcing the Scout Troopers Unit Expansion for Star Wars: Legion
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/3017/8/25/advanced-recon/

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 11, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

You know, there's a saying, it takes 17 muscles to be right, but only 4 to shut up about it! :mad:

I'm gonna need more black and white paint.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Deviant posted:

Double posting because:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/11/rogue-operative/

Announcing the Boba Fett Operative Expansion for Star Wars: Legion

Now this is what makes me want to build an army. That boba fett mini is fantastic