Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the season as been good so far, but as a book reader it really felt like they were dragging things out and putting some filler in to pad out the season

and then this episode happened and welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

:stonk: poo poo got positively Shakespearean on the Agatha King. Goddamn.
Luckily our boy Cotyar is still napping in the medbay :sweatdrop:

Next week is going to be crazy

E: The Ship is officially the Roccinante again according to the caption! :dance:

Svaha fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 10, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

twistedmentat posted:

They're pretty free with rapid firing kinetics in The Expanse. So there's got to be a lot of dangerous munitions still flying around in the system. Unless the projectiles have something that causes them ot burn up after a certain amount of time or something.

They'd be out of the inhabited area pretty quickly. You would have to be spectacularly unlucky to get hit by a random bullet in space. It's not impossible but it's also something there would be no reason to ever worry about.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want it to be next week already.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy poo poo that stuff on the Agetha King was intense. I expected Cotyar to pop up at the last moment and ice the admiral at the end. He knows he's hosed, because Mars has the recording, he fired on his own ships, and I hope most of the crew is not to happy with that.

I almost don't care what happens to our main characters now.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Holden and Naomi's conversation really underlined Steven Strait's limits as an actor. Tipper was killing her side of the dialogue and Strait just stands there with his gormless look. I don't want to call him a bad actor based on one show, but everyone else seems to be on another level.

Another great episode regardless. Kiiiinda wishing the rest of the season would leak because goddamn these are some long weeks in between episodes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Oh dang

That was a hell of an episode

bou
Aug 3, 2006

:stare: That was better than anything the last 3 seasons of Game of Thrones had to offer. Is it next week yet? :f5:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And the actors on the podcast said the next episode is where the season really starts rolling.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

And the actors on the podcast said the next episode is where the season really starts rolling.

Fuckkk.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A little disappointed by the guns in this show. On Battlestar Galactica if you got shot in the stomach, half of your guts would be sprayed onto the walls. On this show Ryu just looks mildly constipated with that gut shot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They do mention in the books that the guns on ships are low velocity and use plastic rounds to avoid ricocheting around destroying equipment.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I guess skin treatments are a lot better in the future if Jim didn't see any stretch marks down there.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
One of things that has really mystified me about Earth Fleet, is that the talk about having the numbers but their ships are old with old tech. Those fighter sized ships that took out the Martian Flag Ship were built on earth?

Does earth not have a massive and mature spaceship manufacturing base or did they just stop building ships? Did they just think, nah we got enough.

You would think they would keep churning those fuckers out, with revisions and updates, all the time. Like every modern navy known to man in the history of mankind.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The stealth ships were built secretly by Mao's company. Whatever tech they have in addition to the stealth plating, the UN doesn't have access to it. Also they're not fighter-sized, the one guarding the Protogen station in season 2 is bigger than the Roci.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Collateral posted:

One of things that has really mystified me about Earth Fleet, is that the talk about having the numbers but their ships are old with old tech. Those fighter sized ships that took out the Martian Flag Ship were built on earth?

Does earth not have a massive and mature spaceship manufacturing base or did they just stop building ships? Did they just think, nah we got enough.

You would think they would keep churning those fuckers out, with revisions and updates, all the time. Like every modern navy known to man in the history of mankind.

The US Navy still runs the USS Nimitz which is over 40 years old. It's an old hunk of nuclear powered poo poo but it still works. I don't think militaries crank out as many ships as you think.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Picky. The point stands though. They even mentioned a battle with 5 Earth Destroyers and 1 Mars Cruiser and Mars won. This was some time in the past.

Did the UNN strategic planning committee just not care much about being vastly outgunned, thinking a stiff upper lip and gumption would win out in the end. "When Jonny Mars tastes our Torepdos he will go running back to mum." or something? Despite thousands of years of evidence to prove that point hilariously wrong.

I just can't see the earth that I grew up on not being pathological about building newer, faster and deadlier ships in competition with a cold war adversary.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The US Navy still runs the USS Nimitz which is over 40 years old. It's an old hunk of nuclear powered poo poo but it still works. I don't think militaries crank out as many ships as you think.

Oh I agree with this (the Nimitz still outclasses the vast amount of other blue water boats out there though), but where are the old Mars ships, where are the new Earth ships? It is presented as Mars only has new ships, and Earth only has old ships.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe the adversary is just plain better at it?

This isn't something either the books or the show go into any detail about, but considering how goal-driven Martian culture is shown to be it's not too big of a stretch that they would have the better scientists and engineers. On Mars everyone works in some capacity, on Earth even getting the opportunity to study is difficult. Consider the would be doctor Bobbie meets in season 2 who's spent like 30 years waiting for a slot at a school to open up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Earth isn't exactly well-run and is depicted as being fairly complacent. Earth is also completely exhausted in natural resources, it runs on what it can get from the belt. Also their fleet is much larger, which gives them false security. If you look into history you'll find plenty of countries that got complacent and allowed their military to become obsolete.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It could be a parable of the 1930's really.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Collateral posted:

It could be a parable of the 1930's really.

...or now. Remember most current US hardware was designed/built in the 1970s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

Earth isn't exactly well-run and is depicted as being fairly complacent. Earth is also completely exhausted in natural resources, it runs on what it can get from the belt. Also their fleet is much larger, which gives them false security. If you look into history you'll find plenty of countries that got complacent and allowed their military to become obsolete.

I am reminded of the RN at the close of the nineteenth century.

Start at the last paragraph on page 395.

quote:

Every metal surface in the Mediterranean Fleet blazed like the sun. Battleship and cruiser crews devoted enormous energy to burnishing the great guns. Massive armored watertight doors were taken off their hinges and filed and rubbed until they gleamed—and, incidentally, were no longer watertight. On some ships, even the little ring bolts on deck were polished and fitted with little flannel nightcaps to protect them from salt air between inspections.

The part about gunnery practice is especially good.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 10, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who is mars in this?

The US has no real military rival these days.

Platystemon posted:

I am reminded of the RN at the close of the nineteenth century.

Start at the last paragraph on page 395.

Earth could do with a Jacky Fisher in the show. Fun fact about Fisher, he got sea sick for his entire career.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 10, 2018

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

What happened to the PDC on that one ship that got nuked. They couldn't shoot down a single missile launched by the Agatha King? I mean it they launch a dozen and one gets through I get it, but a single kill shot? Ummm...

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I can only think they didn't expect their flagship to fire on them. Which is really dumb under the circumstances.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

drewhead posted:

What happened to the PDC on that one ship that got nuked. They couldn't shoot down a single missile launched by the Agatha King? I mean it they launch a dozen and one gets through I get it, but a single kill shot? Ummm...
Maybe disabling IFF safeties to make the PDCs lock onto and fire on "friendly" missiles isn't a straightforward procedure in their systems.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The first scene on the Agatha King at the start of the season specifically stated she was still in service due to "budget cuts". I'm sure Earth does build new ships, they just don't build enough new ships to replace every old ship in service 1 for 1, and in order to meet requirements they can't retire the older ones anyway, especially the capital ships.

It's like the USN from 1945 to 1990 but hardly any of the draw down, so the Nimitz is in a battlegroup with new Ticonderogas, contemporaneous Spruances, and minimally retrofitted for communications Clevelands, and Fletchers.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 10, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Grand Fromage posted:

I really want it to be next week

But I don't know if I can handle this

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If I'm remembering right then we could get at least one cool change from the books next episode or two, and I'm psyched to see multiple scenes in the near future.

It also just occurred to be that when they do get to adapting the Cibola Burn stuff it could actually be real good if they keep the focus narrowed, do a real good writing pass, and really nail the casting since it's going to come down to how good a few key roles are. Like, I'm still not expecting greatness, but I now have hope that it can make what's widely considered the worst book of the series into some solid television.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

NTRabbit posted:

The first scene on the Agatha King at the start of the season specifically stated she was still in service due to "budget cuts". I'm sure Earth does build new ships, they just don't build enough new ships to replace every old ship in service 1 for 1, and in order to meet requirements they can't retire the older ones anyway, especially the capital ships.

It's like the USN from 1945 to 1990 but hardly any of the draw down, so the Nimitz is in a battlegroup with new Ticonderogas, contemporaneous Spruances, and minimally retrofitted for communications Clevelands, and Fletchers.

Nah Agatha is the Iowa/New Jersey.
Hopefully her turrets don't explode from gay love.

Goddamn Nyugen is a prick.

I don't see a whole lot in the Expanse universe going to waste. Even the Canterbury was originally a colony ship which had been retrofitted after that task was complete to be a rock hauler. I think the UNN is going WW1 Royal Navy; the other guys (Mars, or Germany) have better ships but we have more, so we'll put stuff into the line that might be hopelessly outdated but can still take a pounding and dish one out. See, HMS Canopus.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 10, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There were Iowa class battleships fighting in the first Gulf War. Ships last a while even in the real world.

Edit: :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Iowa class is a weird example to use.

They fought in the Gulf War due to a budget increase.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not sure I buy this "thing in fiction not exactly the same as thing in real life" argument. :thunk:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The guy writing the recaps for The AV Club thinks Nguyen's name is "Winn." Like, his name tag clearly says Nguyen.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
These sons of bitches are going to make us wait a whole week to see what happens.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They do this every week, but they haven't lied yet: the writers say next week is when poo poo really goes down!
:sweatdrop:

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

td4guy posted:

Maybe disabling IFF safeties to make the PDCs lock onto and fire on "friendly" missiles isn't a straightforward procedure in their systems.

So IFF safeties on defensive weapons is cool so you don't shoot down your own fleets ordinance, but not on the offensive weapons so you don't accidentally blow your own fleet up during the battle?
Seems pretty weak. All things are possible through the giant hand of plot device though.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
southern was too good for this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Mu Zeta posted:

The guy writing the recaps for The AV Club thinks Nguyen's name is "Winn." Like, his name tag clearly says Nguyen.

Until today, I didn't know that Nguyen was pronounced that way either. I guess I don't know enough Vietnamese people :shrug: