Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KLM/status/994558640953716737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
you just know there are probably multiple people working at KLM whose password is "KLM"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KLM has really poor security. I have a flying blue account and I think if I do the password reset a certain way all I need is a 4-digit pin. IIRC.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
KLM is gonna rock ya

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

finally a reason to dig more into valve https://hackerone.com/valve

i've documented cases with them before, expect a lot of low-hanging fruit especially with how the partner site interacts with everything else

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've documented cases with them before, expect a lot of low-hanging fruit especially with how the partner site interacts with everything else

Now you're thinking with web portals

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it annoys me how i have to opt-out of Steam remembering my credit card every time i make a purchase

no goddamnit i do not trust you with my goddamn credit card number!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it annoys me how i have to opt-out of Steam remembering my credit card every time i make a purchase

Don't they just save a token from the payment processor?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

they accept paypal now so i just use that instead because yeah lol even if they're using some third party processor i don't trust valve not to gently caress up somehow

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/attackers-trigger-rowhammer-bit-flips-by-sending-network-packets-over-a-lan/

back to rowhammer, apparently all you need to do is send a vulnerable box some packets

:cripes:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I buy steam gift cards so that I don’t have to deal with any of that bullshit

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

do rowhammer attacks need to be tailored for a specific target? I can kind of see the results changing drastically across OS, software, memory, etc. configurations

edit: obviously there will always be a market for tailored attacks but I'm mainly wondering if it's something that can reliably do bad things to many people embedded in a banner ad, email attachment, etc.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 10, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Subjunctive posted:

yes

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Do none of you ever shop online or what? Like I just assume all online merchants are poo poo at credit card infosec and let my issuer's risk department handle that.

fake edit: Capital One brought back one-off virtual numbers if you wanna compartmentalize.

fake edit 2: The only time I've actually had fraudulent charges was from an irl visit to a beer garden where someone wrote down the digits and manually keyed in a bunch of small transactions two weeks later.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

BattleMaster posted:

do rowhammer attacks need to be tailored for a specific target? I can kind of see the results changing drastically across OS, software, memory, etc. configurations

edit: obviously there will always be a market for tailored attacks but I'm mainly wondering if it's something that can reliably do bad things to many people embedded in a banner ad, email attachment, etc.

yes and no. everyone is using the same DDR3/4 chips which is the common platform so the attack itself is pretty much universal. OS allocate memory in 4kb pages and a row contains 8kb of data so you can dump your payload in the rows above and below the target. the question becomes on the target what page contains the target bit(s) you're trying to flip

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

rdma nic required, lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

yes and they only save the last card you entered

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Important new features in npm and the npm Registry will help you discover, share, and reuse code with confidence.

npm audit
Starting in npm@5.10.0, a new npm command can perform a security review of your projects.

Simply type `npm audit` to analyze your code and its dependencies against the Node Security Platform database of JavaScript vulnerabilities. The command generates a report of vulnerabilities, simple-to-run npm commands and recommendations to resolve them, and links to web pages with more details.

Vulnerability alerts
When you install a package from the npm Registry, npm now analyzes the code you request. If we detect insecure code, npm will display a postinstall warning message.

Users of npm@5.10.0 and greater will receive detailed information about each vulnerability, instructions for updating the affected packages, and a link to a webpage with more details. Users of earlier npm versions will receive a truncated warning with a link to more details.

For maximum protection against unsafe code, as well as significant performance and stability improvements, every user should install and use npm@6. Simply type `npm install npm -g`.

cue 8 million "insecure" warnings on each npm install because a bunch of things 8 dependencies deep haven't been updated in half a decade

oh well, good job trying npm

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

if only there was a central repository for them to audit rather than farming it out to every client

in other news more info's been released on bypassing arbitary code guard's implementation in edge https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/bypassing-mitigations-by-attacking-jit.html

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/thememoryhole2/status/994641217957826562

lol you think there'd be something to secure this, but nope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think there are 2 pretty good options:
1) disable the feature
2) when disposing of the printer, destroy the drives like you would when disposing a computer.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

every machine I've used with a password function to use secure print has been the default 4 numbers

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Lol technology was a mistake.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mrmcd posted:

ai will fix it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

ai will fix it

no the block chain will

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
terminator 2 is one way to solve technology, yes

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mrmcd posted:

it can't be that bad, right?

quote:

Juntunen picked four machines based on price and the number of pages printed. In less than two hours his selections were packed and loaded onto a truck. The cost? About $300 each.

Until we unpacked and plugged them in, we had no idea where the copiers came from or what we'd find.

We didn't even have to wait for the first one to warm up. One of the copiers had documents still on the copier glass, from the Buffalo, N.Y., Police Sex Crimes Division.

oh :stare:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mrmcd posted:

it all declined starting with the typewriter and spoiling the tape out to see messages

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it can't be that bad, right?

oh :stare:

BUFFALO.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pulling documents off of mfds is fun because some of them use a stripey, weird-endian image format to store their data. I remember one of the VA guys needed a fair bit of time and trials to figure out what the hell it was doing

others are like "here's a tif oh and also i'm literally an unpatched winxp box"

they do make encryption modules for the copiers, but they're expensive so most places just opt for destroying the drive once the device is EOLed, or when someone puts something on it that shouldn't be on that network (which usually happens about four minutes after the fucker's plugged in)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Flip side of the coin, SED/TPM models are a bitch to service when the lovely 128GB drive dies.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Now you're thinking with web portals

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

do copiers fall into the dumb grandfathered in exclusions to HIPAA rules like fax machines do? i mean a lot of copiers are also fax machines...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no. they would count since its regular data storage. it would need to be stored encrypted at rest and then destroyed properly when the hardware is decommissioned. the best solution is to prevent it from being stored in the first place since it has no benefit.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
this is as low-tech as it gets but i think it definitely belongs in this thread

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/994659661792985088

(DNS cache poisoning: now offline!)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fantastic

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

this is as low-tech as it gets but i think it definitely belongs in this thread

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/994659661792985088

(DNS cache poisoning: now offline!)

quote:

Henderson-Spruce allegedly messed up the form a little. "Henderson-Spruce did not identify himself on the one-page form. At first, the initials 'HS' were written on the signature line, but the initials were then scratched out and replaced with 'UPS,' according to the charges," the Tribune reports.

lol

Seriously I'm actually laughing out loud at this.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

NoneMoreNegative posted:

that's also an article from 2010, but who knows if things improved at all since then

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Submit this form to discover the one weird DNS hijack trick Postmasters hate!

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

what? seriously? why do they need to store documents on a hard disk?

• Locked thread