Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Timby posted:

This is needlessly complicated.

1) Dump milk in IP, hit Yogurt button on IP until it says boil, wait until it beeps
2) After beeping, remove the lid, hit the Yogurt button again for boiling but let it go for another five minutes
3) Remove inner pot, let it sit until it hits 115 (30 - 40 minutes or so)
4) Ladle ~1 cup of milk into a mixing bowl with two tablespoons of active yogurt, stir it up, scrape back into inner pot
5) Replace inner pot in IP, set on yogurt function for 8 hours
5)(b) If you prefer thicker yogurt, put in a strainer after cooking

I found it even simpler with a sous vide rig, although this is the wrong thread.

1) Put milk in container which can stand 180, sous vide to 180.
2) Cool milk to 110 or so (faster if you run water over the container).
3) Add 2T of yogurt to container.
4) Reset sous vide for 110 for 8-12 hours.
4)(b) Strain if desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Mu Zeta posted:

You make it into a slurry by mixing it with 2 cups of chicken broth then add it to the main pot. The pot should already have 2 more cups of chicken stock, vegetables, and meats cooking. The main difference is that ATK recommends putting in the roux mixture near the end of cooking.

You can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHVUFKSdy4

It definitely doesn't look traditional. It's way thicker than the ones I've had at restaurants and they use about double the roux of most recipes.

It doesn't sound good.

E: Better make sure your thighs are boneless. Not too spice y'all, only 1/4 tsp black pepper.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 10, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Chris Kimball was there he would skip the hot sauce

Use your own recipe for the rest of the ingredients but I think the dry roux in the oven works.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

It doesn't sound good.

E: Better make sure your thighs are boneless. Not too spice y'all, only 1/4 tsp black pepper.

The rest of the recipe is obviously not useful, but I am gonna give the flour technique a shot. I like my roux super dark, so the oil always starts to juuuusssst smoke at the end. I am hoping that toasting the flour before mixing into oil can get me the dark roux flavor, without the hint of acrid burned oil I always get.

If not, I'm only going to be making about a 1/2 gallon of that recipe, while simultaneously making 5 gallons of normal, so no big loss.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made awesomely delicious turkey legs last night in the pressure cooker. Browned 3 legs in butter and a little oil then set aside. Tossed in 1 chopped yellow onion and 1/2 chopped red onion, 1 chopped apple, about 5 carrots, half a dozen quartered radishes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 or so bottle of red wine, fresh sage and basil. Once the pot was deglazed I put the legs back in and cooked on high for 30 minutes. Remove legs and reduce the sauce. Jeebus it was delicious.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

wormil posted:

I made awesomely delicious turkey legs last night in the pressure cooker. Browned 3 legs in butter and a little oil then set aside. Tossed in 1 chopped yellow onion and 1/2 chopped red onion, 1 chopped apple, about 5 carrots, half a dozen quartered radishes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 or so bottle of red wine, fresh sage and basil. Once the pot was deglazed I put the legs back in and cooked on high for 30 minutes. Remove legs and reduce the sauce. Jeebus it was delicious.

Do you serve them whole, or take the meat off the legs?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Carillon posted:

Do you serve them whole, or take the meat off the legs?

I served them whole because it was just me and the kids but it would nicer off the bone. e; the meat was falling off the bone as it was but we were all starving and had no patience.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 11, 2018

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I've made a few recipes in my IP now, but this one gave me a BURN warning: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/pressure-cooker-thai-green-chicken-curry.html

I added a cup or so of water. Still turned out good. More like a Thai chicken soup than what I was going for, though.

I made a few substitutions based on what my store had. Acorn squash instead of the kabocha, habaneros instead of thai chilis, but I wouldn't think any of that would make it go crazy.

Any thoughts? I'd probably throw another can of coconut milk in if I'd do it again.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 6, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The burn warning, if it's like other electrics, would be due to the bottom layer of squash or w/e reading as hotter than 250 or w/e when it's building pressure. In the same scenario a stovetop would result in a bit of char on the bottom. Stir before closing the lid and bring up to a simmer/boil before closing as well to help prevent this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GigaPeon posted:

So I've made a few recipes in my IP now, but this one gave me a BURN warning: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/pressure-cooker-thai-green-chicken-curry.html

I added a cup or so of water. Still turned out good. More like a Thai chicken soup than what I was going for, though.

I made a few substitutions based on what my store had. Acorn squash instead of the kabocha, habaneros instead of thai chilis, but I wouldn't think any of that would make it go crazy.

Any thoughts? I'd probably throw another can of coconut milk in if I'd do it again.

As long as you have at least a cup of liquid before closing the lid it's fine. Mine has never had a problem, even with something thick like tomato paste and tomato sauce on the bottom. The one can of coconut milk and all the liquid coming from the squash, spinach, and eggplant are plenty.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So would the right thing to do in that case, assuming it’s already sealed up, would be to just let it ride for the duration?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still learning my IP, but when I get a BURN warning it stops cooking. I have the 8 qt version and I have notice that 1) all of the recipes are for the 6 qt version and 2) some need a bit more liquid to not trigger a BURN warning in the 8 qt version.

Just putting in liquid is not enough, you need to stir it so that there's liquid at the bottom.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any favorite instant pot curry recipes they want to share? I made a pretty tasty butter chicken the other day, looking to expand my curry prowess.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm still learning my IP, but when I get a BURN warning it stops cooking. I have the 8 qt version and I have notice that 1) all of the recipes are for the 6 qt version and 2) some need a bit more liquid to not trigger a BURN warning in the 8 qt version.

Just putting in liquid is not enough, you need to stir it so that there's liquid at the bottom.

I put the coconut milk in before the veggies and meat, so the liquid was at the bottom. I guess I’ll stir the stuff at the bottom next time to ensure it gets coated?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyone have any favorite instant pot curry recipes they want to share? I made a pretty tasty butter chicken the other day, looking to expand my curry prowess.

The serious eats one I’m talking about was pretty good, minus the issues I had.

I had to throw the sealing ring in the dishwasher after cause it turned green though, and now I’m afraid everything I make will taste curryish forever.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
In my experience, the sealing ring picks up the flavor from the last thing you cooked but doesn't transfer it to the next thing you cook.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I've only used jarred simmer sauces. The kroger tikka masala is pretty good but I'm just phoning it in. Give up your recipe for butter chicken plz. Heck just the ingredients if you don't mind I can wing the rest.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I've only used jarred simmer sauces. The kroger tikka masala is pretty good but I'm just phoning it in. Give up your recipe for butter chicken plz. Heck just the ingredients if you don't mind I can wing the rest.

Sure. I'm not sure how good the recipe is for traditional butter chicken as I've never made it before. And it calls for chicken breasts, which suck, also cut into 1/4 inch pieces which makes no sense. So I used thighs. I also bloomed the spices in the butter as I figured that would give more flavor. And I let it cook for the presribed 15 minutes, but didn't do a 10 minute cool down, just a quick release, and the chicken was plenty cooked.

I sound like an allrecipes.com poster.

https://www.jayssweetnsourlife.com/pressure-cooker-indian-butter-chicken/

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Huh from everything I'm reading that uses coconut milk rather than doing a yogurt coating and broiling the chicken. I wonder if that's a big deal?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Neon Noodle posted:

In my experience, the sealing ring picks up the flavor from the last thing you cooked but doesn't transfer it to the next thing you cook.
This is my experience too. No matter how well I washed it, the sealing ring always smelled like the last thing I'd cooked.

...until I made a dish with Korean gochujang. Now it smells like that forever.

It doesn't seem to have an effect on the flavor of anything else though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Huh from everything I'm reading that uses coconut milk rather than doing a yogurt coating and broiling the chicken. I wonder if that's a big deal?

Like I said, I don't know if it's remotely close to actual butter chicken. But it was tasty and I'll make it again. Which is what I care about.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
As a general rule, I stay away from Indian food recipes that call for curry powder. Whole or freshly ground spices only, and if it's written in broken English that's a good sign. Murgh makhani doesn't generally need a pressure cooker since the chicken usually goes in cooked, but I've gotten lazy and just cut up my marinated chicken, briefly cooked it on the stove, and put the chicken in to simmer before, adding water as necessary to keep it from drying out. Here's an upgrade from that recipe, and it isn't too fussy - http://ekantcookcurry.com/murgh-makhani/

That's a dish that I don't make often, though. I'd rather cut up some veggies and make a sabji or something. Lauki al yakhni is dinner tonight, and I can't wait.

I'm a huge fan of bottle gourd. Lauki, opo, doodhi, calabash. Here's a good pressure cooker recipe. You can use Punjabi wadiyan instead of soya, but I usually have soya wadi on hand so that's what I tend to use. http://www.indiankhana.net/2011/03/lauki-soya-sabji-bottlegourd-and-soya.html?m=1

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

WhiteHowler posted:

This is my experience too. No matter how well I washed it, the sealing ring always smelled like the last thing I'd cooked.

...until I made a dish with Korean gochujang. Now it smells like that forever.

It doesn't seem to have an effect on the flavor of anything else though.

I’ve seen posts where people made desserts in theirs after cooking a savory dish and noting that it had hints of curry or whatever.

I think the IP manual even suggested having a spare one just for sweet stuff.

I don’t see myself making single serving cheesecakes or whatever so I don’t think I’ll be a problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

WhiteHowler posted:

... the sealing ring always smelled like the last thing I'd cooked.

Try spritzing with Windex, let that set for a bit, then wash it with soap and water. It's not foolproof but Windex (ammonia) removes the smell better than anything else I've tried.
edit; after that I run it through the dishwasher.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 6, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just made yogurt and my ring smells like chili and the yogurt is fine. So it's a ymmv situation.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Can you share your butter chicken IP recipe?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just use this for butter chicken
https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

You really have to cool it off for the sauce to form after cooking though

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The burn warning, if it's like other electrics, would be due to the bottom layer of squash or w/e reading as hotter than 250 or w/e when it's building pressure. In the same scenario a stovetop would result in a bit of char on the bottom. Stir before closing the lid and bring up to a simmer/boil before closing as well to help prevent this.

I have had some success using a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot while I stir. Sometimes there's like a caramelized layer that freaks out whatever logic determines the burn warning.

If there's chunks coming up you can feel it through the spoon, and keep going until it is smoothish.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I'm one of the people who made the Serious Eats Thai green chicken curry and then made an accidental Thai green chicken curry cheesecake.

I was never able to get the curry smell out of the sealing ring (vinegar, baking soda paste, dishwasher, sunlight) but the spare rings are really cheap.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I bought a pressure cooker today, and cooked navy beans from dried to soft in 30 minutes.

I spent the remainder of the time it usually takes to do this wondering why I didn't buy a pressure cooker before.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Recipe? Always looking for more beans.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

https://pastebin.com/s7BnxF9p

TychoCelchuuu's recipe.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Got burn twice today trying to make chili. Had to switch over to the stove. Bummer but it's still real good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GigaPeon posted:

So would the right thing to do in that case, assuming it’s already sealed up, would be to just let it ride for the duration?

Oh I thought the recipe gave you the burn warning, not the IP. Uh, I guess you do need water then. I have the 6qt and I usually use half the amount of liquid in most recipes and it works fine.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Just use this for butter chicken
https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

You really have to cool it off for the sauce to form after cooking though

Can confirm, outstanding recipe.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh I thought the recipe gave you the burn warning, not the IP. Uh, I guess you do need water then. I have the 6qt and I usually use half the amount of liquid in most recipes and it works fine.

I was reading some other stuff and read that eggplant can be notorious for absorbing liquid and burning. Maybe I didn’t salt it enough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I noticed Bon Appetit has an Instant Pot series on their youtube. Haven't tried any of the recipes yet.

edit; and watching her use the IP with the screen makes me very glad mine just has buttons.

wormil fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 9, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Speaking of which, any word on the instant pot max? There was an article or two back in March and then nothing even though iirc the release date for the thing was supposed to be some time this month?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Also, https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-Programmable-Sterilizer/dp/B075CWJ3T8?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=7d0b30666d1611e89b4a5a85c909964f0INT

8qt instant pot is on sale for 100 (down from 160 normal price) for the next 5.5 hours as of this post. This is the biggest sale it's ever gotten, maybe in preparation for the max getting released soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Regarding kidney beans and pressure cookers, do you still have to soak them before cooking to get rid of the bad?