Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Just don't get hit, easy.

Do you ever get to increase or respec attributes in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Kith posted:

So I downloaded this and tried to make use of it, but the PatchworkLauncher.exe that you claim is present in the ReadMe... isn't. There's a PatchworkLauncher.csproj, but no .exe. Am I missing something here?

Did you click on "Releases" (along the top of the file list) and download the latest, or click on "Clone or Download" and download just the source?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

PirateBob posted:

So I started a fighter/cipher character with 12 constitution because I wanted a bit of everything (16 Might tho) How stupid was this? 2 hours in and I've already died a few times.

Con is the dump stat in Deadfire. I wouldn't recommend dumping any stat all the way to 3 though. 6-7 con should be fine. There is a bunch of +con equipment if you ever feel too squishy.

My MC (Inquisitor - Goldpact/Soul Blade) only has 8 base con and has only been knocked out once the entire game, which was a forced KO during the intro sequence. This is on POTD with upward only level scaling.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

PirateBob posted:

Do you ever get to increase or respec attributes in this game?

You (probably) would be better off focusing on other ways to mitigate damage, let Eder engage, pump your defenses (lots of good warrior passives for that), CC, etc. Your star is never gonna be HP but I've seen good melee builds with 8 con, you just have to learn to play with it.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Shattered Pillars/Assassin with 8 con has been extremely rough though. If a baby farts on my character he gets KOed. I just need that monk redirect attacks skill then I'll be gravy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fights that force you out of stealth loving suck as an assassin

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Vhak lord of hate posted:

You (probably) would be better off focusing on other ways to mitigate damage, let Eder engage, pump your defenses (lots of good warrior passives for that), CC, etc. Your star is never gonna be HP but I've seen good melee builds with 8 con, you just have to learn to play with it.

Okay, thanks. I won't restart then.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

dedian posted:

Did you click on "Releases" (along the top of the file list) and download the latest, or click on "Clone or Download" and download just the source?

Clone or Download, because I'm apparently a huge chump!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm getting loving rolled by this group of pirates in Neketaka. The quest doesn't say they have red bars or anything. It's the return a satchel thing.

Am I loving up or is this fight as hard as it seems?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CommunityEdition posted:

Rooftops, nothing. I’ve found household pets in desert tombs and overly-sealed abandoned temples.

Have they finally fixed the issue of having so many pets and never being able to use more than one by just having like a in boat/island of pets that roam around and get pet? Because I like pocket doging and dragon and spidering as much as the next guy, but I want to see all my animal pals just enjoying themselves far away from combat while I mind control a pirate to kill his captain.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Kith posted:

Clone or Download, because I'm apparently a huge chump!

Well to be fair if you haven't used github it's not very clear :)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

corn in the bible posted:

If you click options on the main menu, there's a choice to generate a save for importing.

Awesome, thanks -- missed this. Had been looking in the menu you get when you sit down with Berath to import :D

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Have they finally fixed the issue of having so many pets and never being able to use more than one by just having like a in boat/island of pets that roam around and get pet? Because I like pocket doging and dragon and spidering as much as the next guy, but I want to see all my animal pals just enjoying themselves far away from combat while I mind control a pirate to kill his captain.

Buy a menagerie from the ship guy in Naka

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I know this is very, very early, but has anyone found any particular class or something particularly well suited to the story / given a lot of extra stuff to do? Like how Ciphers could do whatever the gently caress they wanted in the narrative and had 100000 extra dialog options in the first game, or how I assume a Priest of Eothas will have some special stuff in this game. Does coming from Deadfire seem to affect things?

At one point for PoE1 someone went through and literally counted the number of unique dialog tags, I've done builds and run simply to max the number of unique dialogs in that game.

I guess at the heart my question is basically "hey guys what build should I play first" but I'm thinking in terms of story, not combat effectiveness. I'm sure I'll come up with and/or steal from you guys some stupid combos for my later and harder playthroughs, but I'ma probably do my first on normal or hard.

Oh I also have way, way, way too many finished PoE1 saves to even start figuring out which ones had which endings. Have people seen stuff carry over right away? Is the in-game dialog "choose your own history" thing any good, or for secret poo poo will I really need to start sorting and important my PoE1 saves? I mean the Orlan Baby is an obvious choice but I think it'd be cool if you could keep moving forward with poo poo like working for Woedica or whatever.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
God dammit Aloth, just because I threw a massive party to assassinate a pirate king via exploding harpsichord doesn't mean you need to nag me about taking things seriously. That was a perfectly reasonable course of action.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

does completion of the dlc impact the save import feature in deadfire? i dont wanna do white march again just for some dialogue stuff.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody who wants to murder me can find me at Sayuka

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm getting loving rolled by this group of pirates in Neketaka. The quest doesn't say they have red bars or anything. It's the return a satchel thing.

Am I loving up or is this fight as hard as it seems?

Managed to beat them but drat what a brawl.

Empowered Minolettas Missiles are...wow.

e: My impressions of POTD so far are man you really gotta be on point with buffs/consumables and using the right empower for the job. Empowered spells are life and death in tough fights so far for me.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 11, 2018

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Uhh, how in gently caress do I leave Port Maje? When I go to a map point, it will only let me travel to the other parts of the city, Gorecci Street and Satahuzi or something.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Uhh, how in gently caress do I leave Port Maje? When I go to a map point, it will only let me travel to the other parts of the city, Gorecci Street and Satahuzi or something.

Travel by foot in the lower left hand corner.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PirateBob posted:

Bottom left of the map screen, exit to land (assuming you don't have the boat up and running).

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
My game just crashed and generated an error log. It politely asked me to send it to the developer of the game, so I s'pose I will. Who wants a crash log??

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
So I just hit level 10 on my PotD upward level scaling run. I've still not seen a single difficulty indicator, despite having the option on. Mildly annoying. Far more annoying, is that I don't think the game is actually scaling the content. I just had a fight with a bunch of skeletons and rotghasts who didn't have a single defense above 50. One of the only fights I've lost recently was a level 15 pirate (only place I could see difficulty...) that boarded me with 20some crew. Then again, it took him like 10 or 15 minutes to kill me. I just couldn't land a hit on him.

Maybe my game plan of "multiclass everyone but the ranger and don't use a priest or wizard" is just too strong?

Also Wael's scepter owns. Chance to randomly cast illusion spells on hit and can be upgraded to cast a random defensive illusion spell when you become bloodied. So good. So fun. Don't ask me what the chance is though, because it's bugged and says 0%. Seems to go off fairly regularly, though

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

I know this is very, very early, but has anyone found any particular class or something particularly well suited to the story / given a lot of extra stuff to do? Like how Ciphers could do whatever the gently caress they wanted in the narrative and had 100000 extra dialog options in the first game, or how I assume a Priest of Eothas will have some special stuff in this game. Does coming from Deadfire seem to affect things?

At one point for PoE1 someone went through and literally counted the number of unique dialog tags, I've done builds and run simply to max the number of unique dialogs in that game.

I guess at the heart my question is basically "hey guys what build should I play first" but I'm thinking in terms of story, not combat effectiveness. I'm sure I'll come up with and/or steal from you guys some stupid combos for my later and harder playthroughs, but I'ma probably do my first on normal or hard.

Oh I also have way, way, way too many finished PoE1 saves to even start figuring out which ones had which endings. Have people seen stuff carry over right away? Is the in-game dialog "choose your own history" thing any good, or for secret poo poo will I really need to start sorting and important my PoE1 saves? I mean the Orlan Baby is an obvious choice but I think it'd be cool if you could keep moving forward with poo poo like working for Woedica or whatever.

iirc the best character for maximum dialog options is an island aumaua ranger/cipher aristocrat from deadfire.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Inflammatory posted:

iirc the best character for maximum dialog options is an island aumaua ranger/cipher aristocrat from deadfire.

I'm getting an absolute poo poo load of reactions to being a Godlike. It comes up almost every convo.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
With Modwyr in my off-hand & Lightning Strikes always up my PC now deals crush, slash, and pierce damage with shock, burn, and freeze lashes :v:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I still don't like this mechanic of companions not getting experience if they're not in the party.

I just got done with a quest and got Eder to level 7, now I want to try Pallegina a bit as the frontline fighter, but she is still level 6 with a good chunk to go.

It feels like the game is punishing you for not always rolling with the same companions, which I don't want to do.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Inflammatory posted:

Ciper/Priest of Firewhore Magran.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Bottom left of the map screen, exit to land (assuming you don't have the boat up and running).

:doh: Thanks.

Also...

Trying to level up to level 4 as a multi-class, but it won't let me switch to the other class' tree when picking an ability :confused:

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Dairy Power posted:

So I just hit level 10 on my PotD upward level scaling run. I've still not seen a single difficulty indicator, despite having the option on. Mildly annoying. Far more annoying, is that I don't think the game is actually scaling the content. I just had a fight with a bunch of skeletons and rotghasts who didn't have a single defense above 50. One of the only fights I've lost recently was a level 15 pirate (only place I could see difficulty...) that boarded me with 20some crew. Then again, it took him like 10 or 15 minutes to kill me. I just couldn't land a hit on him.

Maybe my game plan of "multiclass everyone but the ranger and don't use a priest or wizard" is just too strong?

By design, I guess? https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97909-difficulty-indicators-not-working-on-potd-only-scale-up/#entry2012140

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gyoru posted:

The distribution of uniques is all over the place where some classes are overly represented (probably blame backer weapons - always blame backers)

code:
ONE HANDED WEAPONS

DAGGER: 2 Unique, 1 Soulbound
HATCHET: 4 Unique
RAPIER: 2 Unique
SABRE: 8 Unique
STILETTO: 2 Unique
CLUB: 1 Unique
FLAIL: 5 Unique
MACE: 1 Unique, 1 Soulbound
WARHAMMER: 2 Unique
SPEAR: 3 Unique
SWORD: 9 Unique, 1 Soulbound
BATTLE AXE: 2 Unique

TWO HANDED WEAPONS

ESTOC: 3 Unique
PIKE: 2 Unique
GREAT SWORD: 6 Unique
POLLAXE: 1 Unique, 1 Soulbound
QUARTERSTAFF: 3 Unique
MORNING STAR: 3 Unique

RANGED WEAPONS

WAR BOW: 3 Unique
HUNTING BOW: 1 Unique
CROSSBOW: 1 Unique
ARBALEST: 1 Unique
ARQUEBUS: 3 Unique, 1 Soulbound
BLUNDERBUSS: 4 Unique
PISTOL: 3 Unique
ROD: 3 Unique
SCEPTER: 3 Unique
WAND: 1 Unique

ARMOR

ROBE: 3 Unique
PADDED ARMOR: 3 Unique
HIDE ARMOR: 2 Unique
LEATHER ARMOR: 4 Unique
SCALE ARMOR: 3 Unique
BREASTPLATE: 4 Unique (technically 6, but 3 of them appear to be story based, ie you can only get one of them)
MAIL ARMOR: 4 Unique
BRIGANDINE: 2 Unique
PLATE ARMOR: 3 Unique

SHIELDS

SMALL SHIELD: 4 Unique
MEDIUM SHIELD: 3 Unique
LARGE SHIELD: 4 Unique

GEAR

HELM: 20 Unique
NECK: 18 Unique
CLOAK: 14 Unique
GLOVE: 3 Unique
BELT: 8 Unique
RING: 5 Unique
BOOT: 4 Unique

There's only five soulbound items in the entire game?? The free DLC they made for the last game had four!

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Ah, thanks. It'd be nice if it at least showed the red skulls for stuff above your level when you're on only scale up. Oh well.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there a way to get the xaurip mother onto your ship? she was following but I guess she just stopped when I left the cavern?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Oh man I can make unique items and put them anywhere I want

Give me some unique ideas, I'll make some

I might even be able to make soulbound items

A unique poleaxe that does crush/pierce, stylized to look like a war pick. Gives 1/encounter Vile Thorns, 1/rest Instrument of Boundless Rage (or Bloodstorm)

The Bloody Blossom posted:

One end of this hammer's head is shaped like the elegant blossom of a rose with the other shaped like a massive rose-thorn. Along its length is ivy filigree that belies its nature as a weapon of war. It is fashioned as a warpick, but in the hands of kith it is more suited as a polearm.

"The Ogre's Romance" tells the story of a Vailian artist of the Deadfire named Calio Caliaque. While reedy and unsuited to warfare, his family famous for their rose gardens where he spent his youth, he had a passion for arms and armaments, and made many such instruments of war, often with elaborate decoration. Born into wealth and his craftsmanship earning him fame, Calio enjoyed the company of many who sought his hand in marriage, and his mother tried to make a match after match for him. However, Calio felt dispirited with romance, pining for "true love" that no Valian girl could Frustrated and desperate to help her step-son make a fruitful union, his stepmother sought the aid of a sorceress, who divulged to Calio that what he looked for was not his "true love" but his soul-twin--the other half of his soul--who lived across the sea beyond the Dyrwood.

Enchanted, Calio immediately chartered a vessel and made his journey to the snowy mountains north of that distant land, and as he drew closer, he felt his spirits lift. It was his spirits that kept him going, deep into the frozen woods, where he felt his heart pulling him, until at last he was ambushed by an ogre. Only, this was no ordinary ogre, but his soul twin, drawn out into the forest by their spiritual connection. His name was Onwel. Upon learning of the connection between them, Onwel turned Calio away, humiliated.

Calio was undeterred, and sought out a forge, where he labored intensely to fashion for his soul-twin a mighty warpick fit for an ogre's hand, but beautiful enough to decorate an aristocrat's wall. He felt this weapon combined his passions--that he had poured his soul into it--but when he took it to Onwel's village and presented it to him, Onwel again rebuked him. The other ogres knew that Onwel had a soul twin, and when they learned that his soul twin was a pitiful human, they taunted Onwel mercilessly. A fire awakened in Calio that had never been there before, and with full wrath he hurled his great warpick at the first among Onwel's tormenters, striking him down with one blow. Impressed with his ferocity, Onwel defended Calio from the other ogres, and even impressed his kin that this little kith was worthy to share a soul with an ogre. All the same, it was clearly best that Calio not linger, and so Onwel agreed to accompany his little partner in a return trip to the Deadfire, where they had many spirited adventures.

Thus ends "The Ogre's Romance." How this hammer came to be in your hands is a tale untold.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 11, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yo how do I pick up Fassina?

I've found her, talked to her, given her the gloves back (at the expense of her boyfriend) and she doesn't have any new options.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Oh man I can make unique items and put them anywhere I want

Give me some unique ideas, I'll make some

I might even be able to make soulbound items

Can you make bounty targets drop them? If you see a bounty target who doesn't drop any unique items, shove one in

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Royal Deadfire Company submarine if you side with them is the best poo poo ever, thank you Obsidian for making this :allears:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I have scaling turned on but still see skulls on monsters/quests.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ginette Reno posted:

I have scaling turned on but still see skulls on monsters/quests.

loving weird man because I don't, do you have scaling up only for everything or just critical path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

bewilderment posted:

Yo how do I pick up Fassina?

I've found her, talked to her, given her the gloves back (at the expense of her boyfriend) and she doesn't have any new options.

I got the impression that you have to save the dumbass from his debt. She was really pissed off at me when I turned in the gloves after letting the Rauataian captain have him :v: