Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

GhostDog posted:

Subnautica is indeed very good for that. I'm also a big fan of the exploration in the Souls games, although they might not qualify as chill. I also liked exploring Legend of Grimrock 2 a lot.

Yeah, the exploration in the Souls games was very very good, and kept me going through a lot of the parts I had a lot of trouble with. I can't do Souls games anymore, though, because when I hit a spot I have a lot of trouble with (Sen's Fortress and O&S took over 20 attempts to clear, and it took me 40 attempts to beat the Ruin Sentinels in DS2), it just get miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I have no shame and just summon help when I get annoyed :)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
played about an hour of that super mega baseball: extra innings that scentofanotaku was good enough to drop a code for a few pages back, and it's fun. gonna pick up the sequel when it hits a sale one day. fun little baseball game, and games move really quick, got three in already.

gonna be a good game to drop into when i'm waiting for friends to get an open space in multiplayer games and stuff like that.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Looking for some recommendations.

I really enjoyed Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, Broforce, South Park (Stick of Truth and Fractured but Whole) and Torchlight 1+2.

I didn't care for Pillars of Eternity, Civ 5, or Volgarr the Viking.

I can afford something up to $20 - $30.

Grim Dawn is $5 at the moment

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I like space games and dogfighting and stuff but most of my love for space games comes from exploring, Getting Cool Gear, and some amount of consistency. Freelancer and Elite: Dangerous, mainly.

I've been interested in Everspace, which is on sale now (at a historically low price) but I'm afraid that with the roguelike/constant death nature I'll be put off. Thoughts?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't own it, but it's a roguelite

You make permanent progress between your failures.

Don't know if that's enough to tip you.

Oh, and there's no trading or any kind of market, it's just shooting.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Xander77 posted:

I just fired up Consortium and... is there like a mod to stop all the static that constantly fills my screen?

It's only at the start and during specific significant moments.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Samuringa posted:

I don't own it, but it's a roguelite

You make permanent progress between your failures.

Don't know if that's enough to tip you.

Oh, and there's no trading or any kind of market, it's just shooting.

welllll technically you can sometimes buy or sell crafting mats but giving up any of your filthy lucre is treasonous

+1 for Everspace, the main game can be completed in a casual hour and a half ish once you're skilled enough at it, but in the 20 hours before you get a clear you'll constantly be gaining power through the credits you earned before keeling over on each run, a la Rogue Legacy

also it involves your respawning nature in the story in an amusing and almost sci-fi-plausible way and I think that's cool

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

But yeah I would rate Everspace as worth $35 for the time and value I got from it, so at $12 it's a steal

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Cool how about the Encounters DLC? How soon should I get that (assuming that I'd play and like the main game)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Morter posted:

Cool how about the Encounters DLC? How soon should I get that (assuming that I'd play and like the main game)?

It integrates all over the game and most of the additions are pretty great especially for :10bux: so right away, I'd say

(gettin' closer to that $35 i quoted :v:)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you like the game and think you'll be playing a fair few runs, encounters would be good to get sooner rather than later, since it mostly enhances the game over multiple runs and it's all integrated (it's not a separate campaign mode or anything). The NPC quests all take several runs to complete and will probably help you get past the game's early hump faster by giving you more cash, if you can pull them off.

I will say that while I like everspace now, I found it extremely frustrating my first few runs and it was a pretty hard game to like. Now that I've unlocked the thing that completely disables the soft time limit, understand the game a bit better, and bought the upgrades that help prevent some of the frustrating experiences I had, I really enjoy it. But I was definitely mixed on it when I started.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Endless Sky isn't particularly modern, at least in its presentation, but it's an awesome space sim with some good depth, deep factions, trading, excellent randomized missions, dozens of different ships with interesting strengths, and best of all, really well written flavor text. It's literally Escape Velocity except contemporary and also free.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Digirat posted:

If you like the game and think you'll be playing a fair few runs, encounters would be good to get sooner rather than later, since it mostly enhances the game over multiple runs and it's all integrated (it's not a separate campaign mode or anything). The NPC quests all take several runs to complete and will probably help you get past the game's early hump faster by giving you more cash, if you can pull them off.

I will say that while I like everspace now, I found it extremely frustrating my first few runs and it was a pretty hard game to like. Now that I've unlocked the thing that completely disables the soft time limit, understand the game a bit better, and bought the upgrades that help prevent some of the frustrating experiences I had, I really enjoy it. But I was definitely mixed on it when I started.

honestly the zone timer didn't bother me that much in the end, though I too used the glyph to turn it off just because the "penalty" was so anemic as to be arguably beneficial

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had much chance to play Deep Sky Derelicts? Darkest Dungeons In Space sounds a lot like my jam but I want something similarly mechanically tight.

Edit: I actually prefer DD on Radiant mode both for reduced grind and less arbitrary 'you're hosed now' disabling stuff & town events so I guess I'd want to evaluate based on that level of play.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 11, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Quick Hollow Knight question: is there anything that says "hey you're going to a DLC area now?" Also do I need to be worried about going into a DLC area too early, or are they not structured that way?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Quick Hollow Knight question: is there anything that says "hey you're going to a DLC area now?" Also do I need to be worried about going into a DLC area too early, or are they not structured that way?

None of the content patches have really added significant areas like you seem to be thinking; they've mostly added new bosses and secrets into already established areas, so don't worry about it. The closest thing is Path of Pain and that's very lategame, very optional, and nearly impossible to find unless you look up where the entrance is.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

La-Mulana 2 is up on Steam! Expect it Summer this year!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
so I bought Rain World back when it came out. started playing it, went through a pipe to transition to another screen, automatically popped out the pipe on the other side. unfortunately there was a monster squatting on the pipe when I came out and I was instantly killed, nothing I could do. then the game kicked me back to the last checkpoint which was like 10 minutes in the past. yeah, gently caress off. refund baby.

game looks great but did they ever patch it so that stuff like that doesn't happen anymore?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

:woop: :toot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i love this powerful old man

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

woop

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

uber_stoat posted:

so I bought Rain World back when it came out. started playing it, went through a pipe to transition to another screen, automatically popped out the pipe on the other side. unfortunately there was a monster squatting on the pipe when I came out and I was instantly killed, nothing I could do. then the game kicked me back to the last checkpoint which was like 10 minutes in the past. yeah, gently caress off. refund baby.

game looks great but did they ever patch it so that stuff like that doesn't happen anymore?

StrixNebulosa posted:

THEY ADDED BLINKERS TO WARN IF YOU'RE ABOUT TO GO TO ANOTHER SCREEN STRAIGHT INTO A MONSTER :woop:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

whoopsie daisy, missed that. might have to give it another shot.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's pretty rare to be in situations where no amount of nimbleness and luck can save you, like quickly retreating back through a pipe if there's something nasty hanging around on the other side is a common scenario. But also, that's nature when you're a prey animal, sometimes you're just gunna be right in some hungry lizard's path and you've gotta come to terms with that. The game's not going to be for everyone but there's also not really anything quite like it and their commitment to making a living, weird ecosystem in a video game is remarkable imo

Knorth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 11, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I didn't even watch the trailer because I want to go in as blindly as possible, just like when I played the first.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

slay the spire has a discount on humble and it is bar-none my favorite game of the last several months. never had any interest in card games but this sucker has drawn me in for over 70 hours since late february

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

nice, i bought it a couple days ago and only did 1 run so i am still in the refund window.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

your mileage may vary of course, but goddamn it just draws me in when i'm mulling over podcasts or whatever, it's perfect for that

e: unrelated but i believe Strix has extolled the coolness of Low Magic Age and that game is also fun as gently caress, like a tactical rpg + d&d(?) type rolling dice for checks. i've got no experience with d&d but i found that low magic age was not at all frustrating or anything with checks. even the current content it has i found was cool enough to just keep pressing through for better gear and leveling characters etc

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 11, 2018

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Everyone I know who plays Slay the Spire has played it for a million goddamned hours, like without exception.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Morter posted:

So I like space games and dogfighting and stuff but most of my love for space games comes from exploring, Getting Cool Gear, and some amount of consistency. Freelancer and Elite: Dangerous, mainly.

I've been interested in Everspace, which is on sale now (at a historically low price) but I'm afraid that with the roguelike/constant death nature I'll be put off. Thoughts?

I loved Everspace + DLC. I think I put maybe a hundred hours into everything. There are a lot of "Roguelikes" and there are a lot of "Roguelites", but there are exponentially fewer 6-DoF variations of either category (and Everspace does it well). Like the other posters mentioned, dying during a run resets you to the beginning of your journey, but there's a ton of permanent progress that can be discovered, bought, and unlocked.

The DLC primarily adds a 4th ship (they're all have quite unique playstyles, so it's worth checking out each of them) plus a handful of new characters who you will occasionally present you with various sidequests throughout the game. DLC content is integrated seamlessly into the base game, so if you figure out that you enjoy it, it'll probably be worth getting the DLC installed sooner rather than later.

I think the biggest complaint I've seen directed at the game is the ever-looming threat of an enormous enemy fleet which, by default, will start appearing in most levels if you hang around for too long. However, there are ways to circumvent this--including an unlockable perk that prevents their appearance but imposes a separate malus on your run. Personally, I never felt like the enemy fleet was a problem.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

Everyone I know who plays Slay the Spire has played it for a million goddamned hours, like without exception.

it's extremely fun & each run can be completely different even with the same character/class

e: i opted for the beta to get the 3rd character. this wiped my progress from before. i did not care, and i've already gotten within reach of where i was before unlock-wise. this game is absolutely incredible

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 11, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alright fine jesus christ people I'll put down Star Traders Frontiers and try Slay the Spire already :mad:

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Alright fine jesus christ people I'll put down Star Traders Frontiers and try Slay the Spire already :mad:

you will not regret this, i have no idea how it isn't more popular

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Well just found a few more.

Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! - D8Z*I-6659W-HQ5** *=M
Galak-z - KKEZ8-JDFB2-X*FZL *=T
Warhammer: Endtimes - Vermintide - LCQEV-8Z2G5-5E7Q* *=3
Space Hulk Ascension - *9TCR-3V565-D2EMD *=8

Gotta start a txt file with these stored away. Easier to keep up on it then.

Someone already snagged vermintide drat.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

doctorthefonz posted:

you will not regret this, i have no idea how it isn't more popular

slay the spire is super popular for such a niche thing (early access roguelike card game)

every time i look at the store page there are 10k+ players on steamcharts

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

speaking of, how long do steam refunds take these days if you are within parameters

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Awesome! posted:

speaking of, how long do steam refunds take these days if you are within parameters

usually like a day, maybe 2

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Awesome! posted:

Steam Support Stats says that typical response times for refunds are currently anywhere between 1 to 6 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

having refunded about 3 games i can say it took fewer than 2 hours each time