Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

corn in the bible posted:

I never did find Modwyr. Oh well!

Looks like someone didn't thoroughly explore all of the old city!

Modwyr is a lot easier to get than the insanity that is Min's Stand or whatever it's called in the Old City too, having like twenty undead including three out-of-depth ones come at you. I just reloaded and grabbed it and booked it away from them on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
When do I get some evil friends this crew is just complaining about loving everything. We are here to have some fun guys chill the gently caress out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Beneath Neketaka.

I'd been avoiding that so far.since folks talked about sequence breaking bugs? What"s the non bugged way to do it?

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd been avoiding that so far.since folks talked about sequence breaking bugs? What"s the non bugged way to do it?

I think as long as you meet Dereo and he asks you to get the conch, you should be fine to go down. At least, that's what I did and I didn't notice any quests breaking or anything. The pirates in the Undercroft may still be hostile, but just sneak past them and you'll be fine once you get back to Dereo's area.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bewilderment posted:

Modwyr is a lot easier to get than the insanity that is Min's Stand or whatever it's called in the Old City too, having like twenty undead including three out-of-depth ones come at you. I just reloaded and grabbed it and booked it away from them on that one.

I went everywhere and didn't see her!

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Has any found a use for the rapier quest item you can pick pocket off the death guard in the tomb below Berath's temple?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So uh... game had a crash, had to hard-reset the computer and now it doesn't show as installed

The files are still on the same folder, it's just steam that thinks it's not installed :confused:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

bewilderment posted:

Yeah, trying to stand and fight on that one was my first wipe. There's a nice little choke point alcove west of the pick up point where you can fight them and not get (quite as) overwhelmed. My Fury still had to do some work to make that a win, but it's kinda nice to have an encounter were I really needed all those area nukes.

Do quests in the gullet and get in touch with Dereo the Lean. Do quests for him until he invites you further down.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Scoss posted:

Xoti is the only multiclass I've allowed so far and as of level 7 it feels like a mistake.

The monk half is generally only good for the knockback punch on enemies that try to bully her, so she spends most of her time being a Priest with delayed abilities. The Priest powers themselves seems to work fine, but since that's almost all of her value right now it makes me think why I wouldn't just want her as a pure Priest. I know the game warns you about multiclassing but I also kind of trusted that the pre-configured party member multis would be sensible and work well, egg on my face.

Maybe she pans out into a solid supporter that doesn't die easily at higher levels, but at this rate I'm more likely to just replace her with a proper caster or pure fighty character.

Monk/Priest is a combo that has just no synergy whatsoever. You are very much two lesser classes, one at a time, rather then a real cool single alloy. You unfortunately really would be better off picking one or the other.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Retraining in an inn doesn't allow you to reallocate your stat points? That is extremely unfortunate

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
My first ship combat was an inferior fight that, on boarding, resulted in 20+ enemy crew blowing me away in literally 2 seconds. Nobody made it to the gangplank of the second ship before they died.

Inferior ship sure ok.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

kazr posted:

Retraining in an inn doesn't allow you to reallocate your stat points? That is extremely unfortunate

For some reason first level choices are locked in for everyone. I feel like that was something that was also in PoE 1 and that got fixed with a later patch.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Deadfire does a really good job of making Goldpact Knights loving weirdos and I love it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For some reason first level choices are locked in for everyone. I feel like that was something that was also in PoE 1 and that got fixed with a later patch.

I remember it being that way when PoE1 launched, yes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any way for me to slow down combat? PoE1 had a slow-mo timescale (and an option to automatically enable it in combat) but I can't find anything equivalent to it here. There are keybinds for combat speed up/combat speed down but they don't seem to do anything for me and I can't get combat to go any slower than real-time.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So any way to mod the game so that companions that aren't in the party receive the same experience that you do?

Edit:

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there any way for me to slow down combat? PoE1 had a slow-mo timescale (and an option to automatically enable it in combat) but I can't find anything equivalent to it here. There are keybinds for combat speed up/combat speed down but they don't seem to do anything for me and I can't get combat to go any slower than real-time.
There is a slider at the bottom center of the screen beneath the clock.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's time controls in the same basic place as the first game. Don't know why they're not working for you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

User0015 posted:

My first ship combat was an inferior fight that, on boarding, resulted in 20+ enemy crew blowing me away in literally 2 seconds. Nobody made it to the gangplank of the second ship before they died.

Inferior ship sure ok.

Having a complete set of companions and sidekicks makes a really really big difference in ship battles.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Inverness posted:

=
There is a slider at the bottom center of the screen beneath the clock.

Dan Didio posted:

There's time controls in the same basic place as the first game. Don't know why they're not working for you.

Thank you - I didn't realize there was a slider but that helped me figure it out so here's the deal for anyone else who's confused: The labels for "Combat Speed Up" and "Combat Speed Down" in the keybind screen are reversed.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Inverness posted:

So any way to mod the game so that companions that aren't in the party receive the same experience that you do?
I think they already do? Aloth just gained three levels when I switched him back into my party.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

User0015 posted:

Inferior ship sure ok.

My problem is ship combat runs at like 7fps, 10 with minimum graphics options. I've got a decent if slightly older computer, and a graphics card that exceeds minimum specs, so I'm not sure why Deadfire hates my pc so much. :smith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

My problem is ship combat runs at like 7fps, 10 with minimum graphics options. I've got a decent if slightly older computer, and a graphics card that exceeds minimum specs, so I'm not sure why Deadfire hates my pc so much. :smith:

Probably a combination of a large number of combatants and water effects eating up a lot of the processing budget.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does anybody else have an issue where they're getting dings for morale daily for injuries when everybody is healthy?
Because I get -4 morale every day despite everybody being healthy for the entire day.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Ravenfood posted:

Deadfire does a really good job of making Goldpact Knights loving weirdos and I love it.

if your captain doesn't distribute your liquor EXACTLY equally in 15 minutes you're legally allowed to quit

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vermain posted:

Probably a combination of a large number of combatants and water effects eating up a lot of the processing budget.

Yeah, I think my processor is just too old. Didn't expect Deadfire to be the game that drove that home.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Stroth posted:

I think they already do? Aloth just gained three levels when I switched him back into my party.
How much EXP were they behind you? I'm wondering if they're only receiving 75% or so of your own experience.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I went down the elevator in The Gullet after getting the quest to find the magical conch from Dereo, and can confirm there is a sequence break there with his quest. I would maybe avoid going down there until Dereo's quest specifically guides you to.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The sound in Deadfire is so good - the music, the effects, the voice acting, all of it. Excellent atmosphere when combined with the lighting & environment art. Always bring a light source to dungeons (or most interiors, really).

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Is anyone getting a blackjacket bug where the extra weapon set randomly unequips? Usually in a lose camera control bit before a big fight.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

To people playing rangers, how much of a liability is the animal companion? I recall Itumaak dealing simply terrifying amounts of damage in pillars 1, but he also went down absolutely all the time. How hard is it now to keep your companion alive?

I'm trying to decide between ghost heart or stalker for a melee wanderer build. The personal defense boost for stalker is nice, but monk gives enough defensive powers that I'm not sure I need it, especially since I want to go nalpazca and take dance of death/blade turning so that I can just tag enemies occasionally with wounding shot and let my companion eat them while being mostly invincible myself.

Of course, just skipping wanderer and going devoted or just pure monk is a possibility, too. But I found an item in the console that makes me extremely happy and it synergizes with wanderer better.

Finally, has anyone found the spear stalker's patience? If that's 70 hours into the game I might just skip it and go for a sword devoted.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man there's so much stuff in Neketaka. I can't decide if I should be trying to do all of it that isn't marked as above my level right now or go sail around a bit.

But so it goes on first playthroughs. I just picked up Pallegina and Maia. I have a feeling Maia will be a regular since I love Rangers.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah my plan for Neketaka is to do some sidequest, upgrade my ship a bit then go bounty hunting

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

isk posted:

The sound in Deadfire is so good - the music, the effects, the voice acting, all of it. Excellent atmosphere when combined with the lighting & environment art. Always bring a light source to dungeons (or most interiors, really).

Can you believe the backgrounds are 2D? The way the 3D lighting effects are calculated against the environment art is insane.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
after getting my squishy rogue and maia (ranger) pasted way too many times, my second (potd) playthrough is definitely gonna be all tanky frontliners and casters. that'll also give me an excuse to use birbmom and furry barbarian

I think enemies are much more likely to swap to your soft targets than in the first game and Eder's knockdown on disengage doesn't seem to be proccing too often

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Finally, has anyone found the spear stalker's patience? If that's 70 hours into the game I might just skip it and go for a sword devoted.

If that's the one with the ambush bonuses I think I just saw it on the weapon vendor in Sayuka (where you can also find shark meat to feed a very good bird)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Just got the bark string between Eder and Xoti where he tells her, in the most polite, aw-shucks way possible, to stop talking to him. This game's toying with my heart more than I thought it would.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Monk/Priest is a combo that has just no synergy whatsoever. You are very much two lesser classes, one at a time, rather then a real cool single alloy. You unfortunately really would be better off picking one or the other.

Does priest, other than priest of wael or maybe priest of skaen, have synergy with anything? All your spells are medium to long casts and most are support oriented. And few of them give you inspirations you couldn't get from another class anyway. The ones that would have synergy, like minor avatar and cleansing flame, come extremely late. The spiritual weapons are really good, but not good enough to justify priest by itself.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Would you mind spoiling where to find her owner ? Trying to get the soulbound item upgrade achievement.

at dunnage in the market area

it also doesn't look like you need to upgrade her completely to finish that quest, because i only had the kill 1 kith upgrade and still finished it.

she can also be upgraded to legendary afterwards, like a non soulbound weapon could be. i don't know if all soulbound weapons are like this now though, as i haven't found any other.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 11, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Yeah my plan for Neketaka is to do some sidequest, upgrade my ship a bit then go bounty hunting

I think right now I'm gonna buy a pirate banner or whatever from the Delver place and then go do Serafen's quest. So I'll probably do some sailing there.

I stumbled on a way into Arkemyr's mansion already too but my log says I'm like 4 levels below that one so waiting on doing that.

Smith Comma John posted:

after getting my squishy rogue and maia (ranger) pasted way too many times, my second (potd) playthrough is definitely gonna be all tanky frontliners and casters. that'll also give me an excuse to use birbmom and furry barbarian

Mine too. I'm playing potd already but my Wizard/Priest gets pasted a lot if I'm not careful. Will probably do some kind of melee next.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Scorchy posted:

Can you believe the backgrounds are 2D? The way the 3D lighting effects are calculated against the environment art is insane.

Wizardry

Heithinn Grasida posted:

To people playing rangers, how much of a liability is the animal companion? I recall Itumaak dealing simply terrifying amounts of damage in pillars 1, but he also went down absolutely all the time. How hard is it now to keep your companion alive?

From what I've seen this isn't super difficult, especially at higher levels once some pet escape/healing/durability abilities have been acquired. The biggest problem I've had with hunter pets is their lovely Stealth rating. If there's a map that I want to stealth through, I don't bring Maia.

Scoss posted:

Is anyone else noticing degrading performance over the course of a long session?

Yep, there's a memory leak. Pretty sure it's a Unity thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Is anyone else noticing degrading performance over the course of a long session?

I was just returning to Queen's Berth in town to turn in a quest and the game had chunked down to a whopping 20 FPS. I restarted the game, magically it's back up to 60 when I load in the same spot. I have noticed some rough performance in general and the graphical settings change like 2 FPS between high and low.