Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Smith Comma John posted:

after getting my squishy rogue and maia (ranger) pasted way too many times, my second (potd) playthrough is definitely gonna be all tanky frontliners and casters. that'll also give me an excuse to use birbmom and furry barbarian

I think enemies are much more likely to swap to your soft targets than in the first game and Eder's knockdown on disengage doesn't seem to be proccing too often

If that's the one with the ambush bonuses I think I just saw it on the weapon vendor in Sayuka (where you can also find shark meat to feed a very good bird)

That's the one. It gets a ridiculous upgrade for single weapon critical hit builds.. I haven't really had much chance to play. I'm guessing Sayuka isn't too far in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Does priest, other than priest of wael or maybe priest of skaen, have synergy with anything? All your spells are medium to long casts and most are support oriented. And few of them give you inspirations you couldn't get from another class anyway. The ones that would have synergy, like minor avatar and cleansing flame, come extremely late. The spiritual weapons are really good, but not good enough to justify priest by itself.

You can make a decent argument for Priest/Chanter or Priest/Paladin to provide all-in-one party buffing, but the other Priest/X combos mostly feel like flavor things to me. That's fine, though; I recall one of the explicit reasons for multiclassing being included is to provide flavor options for people who're interested in something like that.

Scoss posted:

Is anyone else noticing degrading performance over the course of a long session?

I was just returning to Queen's Berth in town to turn in a quest and the game had chunked down to a whopping 20 FPS. I restarted the game, magically it's back up to 60 when I load in the same spot. I have noticed some rough performance in general and the graphical settings change like 2 FPS between high and low.

Think it's a combination of long sessions causing memory leaks and/or something to do with frequent alt-tabbing.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

oh good lord

I did some digging with the console

there is now a soulbound gun, specifically an arquebus

ciphers cannot use it

wizards can

wtf

Can you provide the item id?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Modwyr- "Poor guy's none too bright, but those MUSCLES." *unwritten MMPH noise"

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That's the one. It gets a ridiculous upgrade for single weapon critical hit builds.. I haven't really had much chance to play. I'm guessing Sayuka isn't too far in?

it's a port so you can go whenever

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

You can make a decent argument for Priest/Chanter or Priest/Paladin to provide all-in-one party buffing, but the other Priest/X combos mostly feel like flavor things to me. That's fine, though; I recall one of the explicit reasons for multiclassing being included is to provide flavor options for people who're interested in something like that.

I don't feel underpowered as a Priest/Wizard but I don't see a particular reason for it either. I'm trading having the best spells for a little more versatility. It's fun and all, but probably not optimal. The best thing you can say about it is the versatility frees you up to take a more melee centric party if you want. If I were just a Priest, I'd have to take Aloth more often. Or were I just a Wizard, I'd need Xoti more.

Still I don't feel the pain of not having higher level spells much yet but I bet I will in the end as some of that high level stuff looks spicy. And I wanted to try this, so I have no regrets. I don't feel gimp.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Pillars 2: On Gayer Tides

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Vermain posted:

I want the flavor and to feel like I didn't gimp myself. Partly I'm just bitter that I want to play a priest of eothas, but they look super boring to me since there's next to no reason to multiclass and their added abilities are more of the pure support stuff that priests already have. I know it's not realistic to expect every multiclass combo to be good, though.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Does priest, other than priest of wael or maybe priest of skaen, have synergy with anything? All your spells are medium to long casts and most are support oriented. And few of them give you inspirations you couldn't get from another class anyway. The ones that would have synergy, like minor avatar and cleansing flame, come extremely late. The spiritual weapons are really good, but not good enough to justify priest by itself.

Priests just seem inferior to every other available support/healing option (druid/chanter/paladin), which is a nice change of pace from them being top tier in the first game.

Tekuha's single class druid Watershaper trait shits all over Xoti's Harvester of Gaun priest while also having a better natural spell selection. I benched Xoti ages ago for a custom single class Chanter (Skald) and never looked back.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Smith Comma John posted:

it's a port so you can go whenever

Great, thank you!

Gyoru posted:

Priests just seem inferior to every other available support/healing option (druid/chanter/paladin), which is a nice change of pace from them being top tier in the first game.

Tekuha's single class druid Watershaper trait shits all over Xoti's Harvester of Gaun priest while also having a better natural spell selection. I benched Xoti ages ago for a custom single class Chanter (Skald) and never looked back.

I typically like playing priests in these games, so that makes me a little sad, but their spell set does look a little weak. Of course, lots of people thought wizard was weak at the start in Pillars 1, and that was with unnerfed slicken.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Scorchy posted:

Can you believe the backgrounds are 2D? The way the 3D lighting effects are calculated against the environment art is insane.

Technical nerd aside: this works so well because, perhaps surprisingly, the way the prerendered backgrounds work in Pillars is very similar to how non-prerendered game rendering often works nowadays.

Short version is, a problem in rendering games is dealing with multiple lights. Traditionally, when you draw some 3d model in a game then for every pixel the game will add up the contributions from all the lights that affect that pixel and push the resulting color to screen. In order to this efficiently you need to know what lights affect each part of the objec and that's a hard problem when you can have tens of thousands of light sources in a modern game.

A common solution for the last 10 years or so has been to 'defer' rendering all of your lights. What this means is that when you draw an object to pixel in a deferred rendering you don't draw the final color but actually draw the object properties: color, position, surface orientation and so on. Then you do lighting in a later pass by drawing the individual lights themselves and reading the per-pixel object properties you stored earlier to compute the lit pixel color.

What Pillars does is compute pre-renders of those object properties for their backgrounds, rather than the lit final result like the IE games did. That means they can just draw the dynamic 3D objects on top of the background, then draw lights on top of that composed results and everything just works together seamlessly.

I'm simplifying tons and there are some dicey technical issues in making everything work together, especially with dynamic shadows, but the idea is pretty straight-forward. The costs are that you need a lot of storage space for all your pre-rendered data, adding transparent details and layers in the environment is hard to impossible and you're restricted to orthographic cameras, which aren't very cinematic. The end results are very good here, obviously.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

welp time to restart my game. don't try to sneak into the powderhouse, the guards inside all stood around and didn't start combat so i thought i was safe to overwrite my quicksave and it turns out they just mob you as soon as you exit and the game overwrote all the autosaves before i was aware of it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Has anyone else picked up the 5th level wizard spell thats basically cloudkill? The tooltip says it should last 16 seconds for me but seems to only last like 3 seconds. Not sure if this is a bug or maybe I just don't get how it works and maybe the graphic disappears but it still does damage?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I was prevented from killing myself by the town guard. Rude

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Meanwhile I was worried my amulet would be bad for any build but it looks like it could do well for glass cannons, provided there aren't more min-maxy options in the neck slot

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I just noticed that Priests of Skaen no longer get lesser sneak attack. Gonna have to multiclass mine with Rogue to preserve the PoE1 feel of the class, I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Weissritter posted:

Can you provide the item id?

I'm not sure how to directly but if you iroll20s with the console you can type

giveitem arque[hit tab]

and when you tab it will tab through all available possible items that start with arque

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thinking ahead long term about party members, what would be a good set up for a Seer? I'm thinking me and ranger/wizard Maia in the backrow blasting and casting, Eder Xoti and maybe fighter/wizard Aloth up front throwing down.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Alright, I guess it's time to go do the finale.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

cheesetriangles posted:

Has anyone else picked up the 5th level wizard spell thats basically cloudkill? The tooltip says it should last 16 seconds for me but seems to only last like 3 seconds.
We just fixed that bug today, but it will not be in the upcoming patch. The bug was that it ticked once and then stopped.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I've got the final pirate quest, but I don't know where to go to use the sword and summon the flying dutchman, or whatever it's called. Any help?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
After getting Pallegina and Maya, I started a conversation with Pallegina and I can ask her about her relationship with Maneha who I've yet to even meet in POE2 and who didn't interact in my POE save and after she makes a single derisive remark about gods she comes to full threaten-to-murder-each-other blows with Xoti, which feels like it should come after many, many fights.

Maybe the game's telling me to hurry up? I want to play slowly with the game in the state it is in.

Erd fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 11, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Erd posted:

After getting Pallegina and Maya, I started a conversation with Pallegina and I can ask her about her relationship with Maneha who I've yet to even meet and after she makes a single derisive remark about gods she comes to full threaten-to-murder-each-other blows with Xoti, which feels like it should come after many, many fights.

Maybe the game's telling me to hurry up? I want to play slowly with the game in the state it is in.

Maneha is from PoE1, that's why.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I decided to do a bunch of math comparing Ranger/Rogue and Ranger/Fighter. The results:

Ranger/Fighter is stronger at consistent DPS, having more accuracy buffs and passive damage buffs
Ranger/Rogue has better Crowd Control options, generally requires more micro to make the most of

I originally thought that the Ranger/Rogue would be the go-to Crit Machine but Disciplined Strikes' 25% HtC blows Dirty Fighting's 10% HtC out of the water, not to mention all of the other stuff the Fighter has access to. Does anyone know if Sneak Attack procs from stealth attacks? I would assume so but the description doesn't mention attacks from Stealth like it did in PoE.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Maneha is from PoE1, that's why.

I know, but the game is expecting me to have had them in the same party to play their conversations, which I never did. I was wondering if you meet her in this game and something has been established in the intervening period, but I guess not? Save import bugs?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MooselanderII posted:

For those of you who were a little underwhelmed by POE 1, what do you think of Deadfire?

I know this is from way back, but I thought I'd throw my initial two-cents in as someone who bought POE1 on launch, but only beat it when patch 3.0 came out with Story Mode, and hasn't followed POE2's development.

Firstly, the opening grabbed me a lot better than POE1 did. I'd say it's the clearer focus on what's driving the plot. We're hunting a god. I found the main objective became muddled after finding the Old Watcher in POE1, but that just might be me powering through and skim reading through the 2nd and 3rd act? I can't recall. The expanded voice acting has really helped keep me engaged so far and I really enjoy the voiced narration. It really helped me visual how these scenes are playing out when the narrator comes in. I was a little disappointed when I realized the narrator only speaks during the most important scenes.

In regards to the combat I feel the drop to a 5 person party is an improvement for me. I wasn't great at micromanaging in POE1 and I'm trying to play through on Easy instead of Story this time. The biggest thing though is the change in spells going from being usable per rest to per encounter. It's a giant leap for me since I disliked having to stop and rest between combat encounters. It just disrupted the flow of the game for me and was one of reasons I took so long to finish it. The change of the endurance/health system to just health is welcome as well.

I like the companion characters I've met so far. None which I want to just let die in combat and leave dead like I did for two in POE1 (Durance and Grieving Mother)

I got my ship and am sailing, but haven't really played with the mechanics of that just yet.

POE2 is naturally a step up in presentation, graphics, and art style as well.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Erd posted:

I know, but the game is expecting me to have had them in the same party to play their conversations, which I never did. I was wondering if you meet her in this game and something has been established in the intervening period, but I guess not? Save import bugs?

The import tracks state flags set by Pillars 1, and that tracking probably does not include just seeing the incidental conversations. It's going to assume that everyone in your Pillars 1 party who survived knows each other decently well, including Maneha's fondness for women in uniform.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone want to spoil where to get some unique Pistols and Arquebus?

Everyone else is rocking cool poo poo but my Watcher is stuck with 1 fine/1 normal pistol and Maia with her regular Arquebus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zore posted:

Anyone want to spoil where to get some unique Pistols and Arquebus?

Everyone else is rocking cool poo poo but my Watcher is stuck with 1 fine/1 normal pistol and Maia with her regular Arquebus.

There's a gun shop in the Brass Citadel, have you checked there?

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Erd posted:

After getting Pallegina and Maya, I started a conversation with Pallegina and I can ask her about her relationship with Maneha who I've yet to even meet in POE2 and who didn't interact in my POE save and after she makes a single derisive remark about gods she comes to full threaten-to-murder-each-other blows with Xoti, which feels like it should come after many, many fights.

I also got Pallegina and Xoti throwing down literally before they even technically met, and Maia propositioned me as soon as I transitioned from the screen I recruited her on lmao. I LIKE the relationship system a whole lot but it seems super buggy as hell so the timing for all these important conversations seem to be completely hosed. That or the entirety of the Deadfire are thirsty as gently caress.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So where do I need to go to get one of the apparently only two unique poleaxes, because poleaxes are what I wanted to build my guy around but I've ended up with sword and board simply be necessity.

This is one of the reasons that making uniques the only thing you can enchant is a downer. While I think the idea is flavorful and cool, when there aren't enough options for every weapon type it leaves something to be desired.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

There's a gun shop in the Brass Citadel, have you checked there?

Complete with a really slick looking unique arq (which costs 75k gold or some poo poo)

I want to gift it to shark girlfriend, but I am broke as hell

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I like the companion characters I've met so far. None which I want to just let die in combat and leave dead like I did for two in POE1 (Durance and Grieving Mother)

Heh. Those would be the characters written by Chris Avellone, yep. The man knows his way around a good theme but he does not seem like he's awesome at being his own editor.

marshmallow creep posted:

So where do I need to go to get one of the apparently only two unique poleaxes, because poleaxes are what I wanted to build my guy around but I've ended up with sword and board simply be necessity.

One of them is below Neketaka and can be gotten fairly early. It's ... well, let's just say it's unique. I'm currently using a Crusader Pallegina as my main frontliner using that thing and it works. Mostly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, I think Dance with Death is bugged. I've got the sword and the pirate woman told me what to do with it, but it vaguely says to use the sword "in the sea" and I've no idea where. I've been sailing around and nothing has happened at all!

e: figured it out, had to do it while walking on deck

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 11, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Does this have comically overblown pretentious writing like the first one?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

clone on the phone posted:

Does this have comically overblown pretentious writing like the first one?

Not even close.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Xerophyte posted:

One of them is below Neketaka and can be gotten fairly early. It's ... well, let's just say it's unique. I'm currently using a Crusader Pallegina as my main frontliner using that thing and it works. Mostly.

Is there a way down there without triggering the broken quests issue I keep hearing about?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Is there a way down there without triggering the broken quests issue I keep hearing about?

Either do quests there until you can go down the back way, or... just get back on the drat elevator before it leaves, which is what the elevator guy tells you anyway

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Diplomacy: When you really want to gently caress over a faction, but still want to continue with their quest-line. :smug:

I did the water-shaper quest for Huanu and released the prisoner. They literally lost their biggest defence against outsiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
LMAO that Vela interaction came out of nowhere.

Pallegina asked what she did on the ship. Vela returns the standard clean, mend, etc. Pallegina then wondered if she would fit into one of the cannons. To clean them, but there's a hilarious delay before that comes up