Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Poultron posted:

I can't get into NGU no matter how many times I try. I don't know what I'm missing. It must be something. Maybe it's a little too "interfacey" for me or something. There's no fantasy to it. But I don't know, I could just be missing it.

Its just unlike most idlers. More benefit from being active than my taste, but a good enough game to be worth it even though I play suboptimally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I bounced off NGU a lot at first but back into it now and having fun as my work idler since it doesn't require fully active play but still has a lot of different things to focus on. I am a bit bummed I lost my save from pre Kongregate but I'm already further than it was so no big deal.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I droped $20 on NGU. Its not too bad, but... its a little more active than what i want it to be atm. (still doing 30 minute runs, but actualyl spending 2-4 hours on it before i check in)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

GrossMurpel posted:

It's interesting at what point your brain says "gently caress this, this is silly" considering you're already playing a game with minimal input. For example, I couldn't play Clicker Heroes when I realized all I do is prestige every once in a while, enter my save in the ancients calculator thing, and start over according to what the thing told me to do.
Or Transport Defender, which has that button to make your weapons auto-upgrade according to rules you set so the game actually straight-up plays itself.

I did the same thing on the Steam version. After a while I started savecheating, and just give myself 9e99999 gold on every transcension for a good headstart. It finally ended when I got the last achievement ('get to zone one loving billion after transcending'). The Xbox version took about 6 months since obviously there's no save editing. It was a lot easier to do since it was a familiar path though. My wife hated the game when I was nearly finished. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Merijn posted:

I did the same thing on the Steam version. After a while I started savecheating, and just give myself 9e99999 gold on every transcension for a good headstart. It finally ended when I got the last achievement ('get to zone one loving billion after transcending'). The Xbox version took about 6 months since obviously there's no save editing. It was a lot easier to do since it was a familiar path though. My wife hated the game when I was nearly finished. :v:

You can edit the saves? Please tell me how.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

New Realm Grinder dev diary:

quote:

Update on the development process:

The beta stage has ended, and a build has been submitted for approval. The new version will hopefully come out in a few days - including preparations for the Blood War anniversary event!

The update will include A2 prestige factions (including dragons!) and a lot of new upgrades for existing factions, carrying players over several more reincarnations. New trophies and artifacts are also in!

:rock: BLOOD WAR

prefect posted:

You can edit the saves? Please tell me how.

I used this one: https://www.itshax.com/Clicker-Heroes/#page-0
There's probably better ones out there, because I remember this one breaking when you give yourself too much gold.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Merijn posted:

New Realm Grinder dev diary:

new artifacts

:negative:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I just started playing NGU. Are there any pieces of equipment that I should be keeping around (besides Forest Pendant) that are lower level but useful in higher level things like Challenges or anything?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MotU posted:

I just started playing NGU. Are there any pieces of equipment that I should be keeping around (besides Forest Pendant) that are lower level but useful in higher level things like Challenges or anything?

Combat Cheese for the gold bonus until you get a third 40% or better gold drop necklace. Gold is pretty limited early in the challenge runs.
+bars equipment
+power equipment

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MisterOblivious posted:

Combat Cheese for the gold bonus until you get a third 40% or better gold drop necklace. Gold is pretty limited early in the challenge runs.
+bars equipment
+power equipment

Also like someone else noted, the Magitech sword for gold bonus in the weapon slot. That's a few zones past forest so you won't see it for a while. Notable because you'll probably push from Magitech straight through to the next tier of armor, but don't neglect maxing your magitech stuff for the bonus! Check the Item List to see what items you need for each set, and what the reward will be.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Is there a good progress guide for NGU? The spreadsheet I have been using isn't really cutting it when it comes to things like when I should attempt challenges or push to new zones versus maxing out equipment from old ones.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You can hover over the Zone name and it'll tell you the recommended stats.

And you'll probably max your equipment while you build exp anyway.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
First titan down woo yay etc

Is it me or is there a huge difficulty jump from high sec base to clock land? I'm not maxed yet but my Magitech stuff's in the high 80s with mostly maxed stats and when I was at that point in the cave I was able to maybe knock a few enemies in the next section out in idle mode before I died but clock zone stuff's pretty much one-shotting me. I know I don't have to adventure there yet but is there a point where you pretty much have to do advanced training to close the gap?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

garfield hentai posted:

First titan down woo yay etc

Is it me or is there a huge difficulty jump from high sec base to clock land? I'm not maxed yet but my Magitech stuff's in the high 80s with mostly maxed stats and when I was at that point in the cave I was able to maybe knock a few enemies in the next section out in idle mode before I died but clock zone stuff's pretty much one-shotting me. I know I don't have to adventure there yet but is there a point where you pretty much have to do advanced training to close the gap?

Yes, advanced training is definitely worth it to break into the next adventure zone. Once you get a couple pieces of gear from the next area you should have a much easier time farming it. Also use advanced training to reach the threshold for autokilling titans, because then you start getting a ton of passive exp.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

speaking of NGU, I've discovered a serious bug

please do the needful

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Every time I see that phrase "serious bug" I get a small heart attack and then of course you guys just want more lol 69 jokes

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

something posted:

Every time I see that phrase "serious bug" I get a small heart attack and then of course you guys just want more lol 69 jokes

Well 69 is the weed number after all .

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
NGU: Anyone got any advice for speeding up my Challenges? I feel like doing Challenges kills my XP/hour because it takes me like a good hour of quick runs to get to the point where my energy and magic even matter, and I have to babysit the poo poo out of the game during that hour. Buy more Attack/Defense Boost For Rich Jerks?

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 11, 2018

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Build up your NGU gold/power/augments. All three will make a big difference in your challenge times.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i have an NGU request: when calculating exp from automatic titan kills, subtract one and leave the titans ready for combat so i can kill them for loot. i hardly ever get to kill GRB anymore, since i only check in a few times a day

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i have an NGU request: when calculating exp from automatic titan kills, subtract one and leave the titans ready for combat so i can kill them for loot. i hardly ever get to kill GRB anymore, since i only check in a few times a day

They drop loot when you auto kill them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

something posted:

this sums up relying on goons for game development feedback really well IMO

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

pixaal posted:

They drop loot when you auto kill them.

Not offline. I believe they are asking "hey, subtract one from the number of kills when offline but make them spawned and ready to go when I log in".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
AFAIK you don't Adventure at all when Offline

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Not offline. I believe they are asking "hey, subtract one from the number of kills when offline but make them spawned and ready to go when I log in".

aye, this is what i’m going for. it only takes 30 minutes or so to properly set up a new long run, so i’m not usually there for the first titan spawns, and then whenever i log on later to check in on things the timer on GRB is back up to 48 minutes again and it’s pointless to wait for it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I thought I'd start up Swarm Simulator because I had never tried it, and it's loving slow. When do I get my first ascension or whatever this game calls the mechanic? I have double-digit Hive Queens and all five Nexuses but man is this ever slow and I think I'm using my energy wrong.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I thought I'd start up Swarm Simulator because I had never tried it, and it's loving slow. When do I get my first ascension or whatever this game calls the mechanic? I have double-digit Hive Queens and all five Nexuses but man is this ever slow and I think I'm using my energy wrong.

Swarm Sim speeds up considerably after the first time warp. You basically use time warp heavily if I remember correctly, it's been awhile and probably not an idle game that aged all that well considering I played it a good 2-3 years ago. It's not going to be your "primary" idle game, it was very much made to be part of someone playing multiple idle games at once and checking the tab a few times a day type of game, back before tabs throttled everything in the background.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

You basically use time warp heavily if I remember correctly
...when it says "16:02" does it mean sixteen hours and two minutes, and not sixteen minutes and two seconds like I've been assuming?

That makes it a way more attractive option if so. I've just been larva rushing so that I can get enough larvae that clone is more energy-to-larva efficient and then figuring I'd switch to cloning instead.

I don't even know what parameter the ascension option works off or how to open it up.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

am I being dense? I can add to the values manually but if I press 'cap' it only adds a tiny amount per skill?

I am definitely playing sub-optimally but that's because I'm rubbish and generally just like to click.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 11, 2018

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Cap is trying to slap enough energy to reach the max levelling speed (which is 50 levels/second). in your case you only need 7203/7208 energy to cap those skills, any energy added would be a total waste. so it only does precisely what's needed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...when it says "16:02" does it mean sixteen hours and two minutes, and not sixteen minutes and two seconds like I've been assuming?

That makes it a way more attractive option if so. I've just been larva rushing so that I can get enough larvae that clone is more energy-to-larva efficient and then figuring I'd switch to cloning instead.

I don't even know what parameter the ascension option works off or how to open it up.

It's been awhile but the multiplier eventually gets really silly and you'll be able to warp thousands of years into the future.(It might actually just be a few years, but I remember it getting into the multiple years per warp. I think it took a few months to unlock every achievement in the game, and the last one was mostly just a giant wall the dev put in to stall for time for more content that he never made).

If I remember correctly prestige was just get a certain number of larva that kept increasing to move on.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 11, 2018

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

something posted:

Cap is trying to slap enough energy to reach the max levelling speed (which is 50 levels/second). in your case you only need 7203/7208 energy to cap those skills, any energy added would be a total waste. so it only does precisely what's needed.

ahhh, that explains why the numbers keep going down as my Number gets bigger. Thanks!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
NGU: The spreadsheet is telling me to start working on the TRIPLE FLUBBER SET and to go into the in-depth Energy Section to see if I'm sacrificing enough TRIPLE FLUBBERS on every Rebirth but what the hell is a Triple Flubber?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Samuringa posted:

NGU: The spreadsheet is telling me to start working on the TRIPLE FLUBBER SET and to go into the in-depth Energy Section to see if I'm sacrificing enough TRIPLE FLUBBERS on every Rebirth but what the hell is a Triple Flubber?

It started as a joke, and even now that it's a real item, you don't need to worry too much about it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Samuringa posted:

The spreadsheet is telling you to exercise.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
What do the harder rebirth settings in NGU do? anything right now? Not that I'd be ready for them regardless

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
They're not nearly ready to be actually used but it'll be sort of a next tier ascension. If you select a new difficulty your number gets sent back to 1 and then in the higher difficulties, all of your exp stats are massively reduced, attack/ def bonuses massively reduced, the growth to number on bosses defeated are slightly reduced (which has an huge impact on your ability to climb bosses). It'll start with rewards pretty much the same as in normal. But with effort you can unlock ways for evil/sadistic to earn a lot more EXP.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hopefully by being more evil/sadistic to the bosses. Ghostbusting to collect spirits for powering your night light, broken time machine faeries so that they relive their explosive death forever, etc.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
NGU: Demon Path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Even now with maxed Magitech and a good like 50 something levels in attack and defense in advanced training the clock zone adventure is still kicking my rear end. Anything else I'm missing here? Do I just have to let advanced training sit overnight? Do I have to start farming GBR for the chef equipment?

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 13, 2018