Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
OK, thanks for the pointers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Nutritional yeast fortified with B12 is one of the easier sources for the cooking type, as it goes well with near everything - it adds a nice nutty umami to most foods and can even be sprinkled on top of ready dishes, not unlike a hard cheese. (After developing a taste for the stuff I sometimes just spoon it into my mouth straight from the can like the filthy animal I am.) But yeah, if you're serious about your nutrition (and why shouldn't you?), there are actual resources like posted by Zenithe by people who actually know what they are talking about.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
All vegans should take B12 supplements really. Fiddling with fortified foods is infinitely harder and not really more beneficial in any way. Every other nutritional need you can fulfill easily with a balanced diet.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Ras Het posted:

All vegans should take B12 supplements really. Fiddling with fortified foods is infinitely harder and not really more beneficial in any way. Every other nutritional need you can fulfill easily with a balanced diet.

Yeah, this. Nutrition Facts has a video on it as well.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I bought some dried chickpeas and I'm struggling to find some good chickpea based recipes that aren't blatant hipster bait. Any recommendations?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Chana masala, kerala kadala, korma curry style (no authentic name as it's a mixture of authentic and hipster poo poo I think, I just meddled with recipes that have want I want and like)
I often don't serve it with rice, just load the curry with veg like roasted butternut pumpkin/squash and cauliflower, or potato, peas and spinach.
I some times do it with tomatoes, onion, garlic, garam masala, chilli; or other times I do it with ginger, coconut milk, curry powder and tamarind (kind of southern style)

E: I like them in warm or cold salads too. Cook them, add cumin and oil and then broil grill or roast them, serve them with some kissir, tabbouleh and bbq grilled or roasted pumpkin and zuchinni with some greens and tomato and cucs or with lemon couscous or something.
Also of course raw chickpeas are great for falafels but I'm trying to avoid suggesting that and hummus

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 11, 2018

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
We made these truffles the other day, they came out amazing. https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/sephardic-charoset-truffles/ . We skipped the honey and used coconut sugar, if I recall. Super simple recipe.

Oh, and this cake. I forgot the recipe but can probably find it.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Zenithe posted:

I bought some dried chickpeas and I'm struggling to find some good chickpea based recipes that aren't blatant hipster bait. Any recommendations?

Been making this from the OP lately.

https://www.pccmarkets.com/recipe/roasted-broccoli-and-garbanzo-bean-salad/

I sautee lemon zest in the roasting oil and reduce the amount of oil in the dressing. It's also hard to find currants here so we use dried cranberries or whatever else is on hand.

It tastes the best when you get a good roast on the broccoli and the almonds have toasted enough to change color without burning.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

Falafel! Chana pulao! This salad! Pasta e ceci! Spinach salad! Ashe-e reshteh (sans yogurt)! Kedala thal dala! Tsorta tfaya! Garbanzos con espinacas y jengibre! Balilah! Hummus! And everything else everyone has mentioned, especially chana masala.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Best thread.

I'll try Tsorta tfaya first, that sounds real good.

e. Yeah that recipe is good. As is Ras el hanout, reminds me of garam masala a bit. I've never come across it before.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 12, 2018

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I'm glad I found this thread. I went vegan on January 1 this year after trying vegetarian before. I am also super picky about some foods--like I don't eat anything made of conflict palm oil. I will share my favorite recipe (don't have a photo at the moment): a whole wheat spaghetti pasta and sauce. It's pretty easy to find a whole wheat pasta with no eggs or dairy. I prefer whole wheat due to watching carbs.

The sauce is just a clear olive oil sauce with a tiny dash of vegan margarine.

I start with two teaspoons of the vegan margarine in a pan with a clove of diced garlic, and just melt/fry it a little. Brush this mixture over a vegan bread (I have some photographed here that I found at a Farmer's Market, which is wheat with sunflower seeds and other grains).

The sauce consists of:

Half a jar (about 130g) of sliced up sundried tomatoes. I buy Krinos brand in sunflower oil.
Another diced garlic clove mixed with vegan butter leftover from the bread spread.
One medium eggplant, peeled and diced.
One medium shallot, sliced/diced.
One half pepper (green, orange, yellow) diced.
About two teaspoons of olive oil and leftover vegan butter from the garlic butter above. You may need to add more olive oil to taste and to keep pasta moist--though obviously you don't want to make it too oily.
One half medium to large fresh tomato, diced.

Fry together the above ingredients in the pan with the leftover garlic mixture until just cooked. Add some fresh basil and oregano and cook another minute or so.

Mix with liberal amounts of the cooked whole wheat pasta.

The recipe is one I "got", just from tasting and looking, from a place called Pasta Pollo in Coquitlam, BC. It calls for feta, but of course I do not add that. I did, however, find a great cheese over the weekend of Mother's Day at a farmer's market in Kamloops, BC. I normally don't like fake cheese or fake anything, but this cheese made out of cashews and is expensive but good. It's called Cashew Hard Varm's Black Sheep Vegan Cheeze. It has cashews, apple cider, yeast, chickpea miso, and onion and garlic powder.

For anyone else in BC, around the lower mainland, I would highly suggest Spud.ca (a delivery service that offers a lot of in-season produce and vegan options) as well as places like Pomme. I go there occasionally for vegan Nanaimo bars! For fresh produce, however, there's nothing like home-grown or local farmer's markets. Over the winter, I ordered from Spud a lot, but now am going to the markets. I'm also growing my own cilantro, kale, chives, thyme, mint, and tomatoes. I might try some pumpkins too.

Vegan bread and cashew cheese from the Kamloops farmer's market:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
NO FAKE CHEEZE. No fake poo poo at all! This is the thread for non-fake food only!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you want to talk about the occasional "fake" vegan thing, like "how can I make buttermilk biscuits," then go ahead
Considering it was such a tiny part of my post, calm down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desmond posted:

Considering it was such a tiny part of my post, calm down.

Apply the same standards to this thread and fake things as you would to vegan food and animal products: even just a little bit is too much! :v:

Personally as a non-vegan I enjoy this thread because it teaches me about cool and tasty vegan things I can cook with and it doesn't waste my time with substitutes I won't use anyway because I'm not actually vegan.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Seitan is cool and good and you should try it anyway though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zenithe posted:

Seitan is cool and good and you should try it anyway though.

That's true. It can be good on its own though without being "fake" anything.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Growing up with a vegetarian mother, seitan was probably the meat substitute I liked the least, it's so rubbery.

I just made a fresh batch of natto, I think the ideal fermentation period is actually somewhere between 24 and 48 hours. This batch went for 24 hours and it still tastes a bit too much like regular cooked soybeans, while 48 hours results in a slightly alkaline taste, 32 hours or something probably gets them just right.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 16, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I don't understand why something like a cashew based "cheese" is forbidden in this thread. It's a cultured nut product that belongs in vegan culture as much as tofu or anything else.

Can we not talk about almond milk in this thread either, because it's called "milk"?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

emotive posted:

I don't understand why something like a cashew based "cheese" is forbidden in this thread. It's a cultured nut product that belongs in vegan culture as much as tofu or anything else.

Can we not talk about almond milk in this thread either, because it's called "milk"?

I think it's because the vegan "cheeses" out there aim to emulate actual dairy cheese. If a cashew "cheese" is sold as tasting like the essence of cashews with a deep, nutty, rich flavor, I think it'd be fine. However, if it's a vegan "cheese" that purports to melt, it would not be, nor do I think the one posted earlier in this thread as it seems to be attempting to pass itself as a dairy cheese (what with the extra savory ingredients like miso).

Tofurky? No good.

I think almond and other nut milks get a pass for the most part because they've been more or less accepted into the culinary zeitgeist, and while their uses are similar in many ways to dairy milk, for the most part they don't sell themselves "as rich and creamy as dairy milk". They just happen to be used in similar ways, like the almond milk my wife uses to make her (delicious) rice pudding instead of dairy milk.

That's my understanding of the situation for this thread.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

No food replacements because it's the OP's thread and they said so.

Seriously though, I have found many great recipes through the thread that I probably would not have tried otherwise. It's also insanely cheap for most of the traditional food that gets posted here although that's not the point, meat replacements are expensive.

The Midniter posted:

They just happen to be used in similar ways, like the almond milk my wife uses to make her (delicious) rice pudding instead of dairy milk.

Almond milk is trash, sorry for your incorrect opinion.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Almond milk is a traditional product and not really a dairy replacement they way soy or oat milks are. imo. And it's good.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Ras Het posted:

Almond milk is a traditional product and not really a dairy replacement they way soy or oat milks are. imo. And it's good.

Kinda weird to call almond milk traditional and not soy milk which has been around for like 2,000 years in various forms.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Catfishenfuego posted:

Kinda weird to call almond milk traditional and not soy milk which has been around for like 2,000 years in various forms.

Oh yeah I didn't think that through

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
My brain is so dead today - figuring out what to make for dinner seems like an impossible task. All I know is that I've got two sweet potatoes I need to use, it needs to be vegan, and feed two people.

I'm pretty well stocked on pantry stuff but I'm out of all other produce. I can buy any ingredients or fresh produce that can be found at a small Mexican grocery store.

I'm bored of what I usually make with sweet potatoes. My usuals are: sweet chipotle "chili" , or sweet potato black bean tacos, or sweet potato hash. But even if you suggest something along those lines, I'd be happy if I could just think of a way to make it a little different or more special than what I usually do. I'm just in a brain-dead rut! Any ideas?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Knockknees posted:

My brain is so dead today - figuring out what to make for dinner seems like an impossible task. All I know is that I've got two sweet potatoes I need to use, it needs to be vegan, and feed two people.

I'm pretty well stocked on pantry stuff but I'm out of all other produce. I can buy any ingredients or fresh produce that can be found at a small Mexican grocery store.

I'm bored of what I usually make with sweet potatoes. My usuals are: sweet chipotle "chili" , or sweet potato black bean tacos, or sweet potato hash. But even if you suggest something along those lines, I'd be happy if I could just think of a way to make it a little different or more special than what I usually do. I'm just in a brain-dead rut! Any ideas?

Bake the sweet potatoes, split them in half and top with chickpeas, a shitload of parsley/scallions and make a garlic tahini sauce to drizzle over it (if you have all that).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Knockknees posted:

Cube the sweet potatoes and sautee them, kale, onion and garlic (in whatever order you wish), eat with black eyed beans

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Goguma Bap is pretty good. I don't make it often because it doesn't have any protein, but it's very tasty.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Chop up some ginger, garlic, and green onions, fry them until fragrant, add cubed sweet potatoes, stir fry until done, add some soy sauce, then serve over rice or noodles with sesame oil.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Chop up some ginger, garlic, and green onions, fry them until fragrant, add cubed sweet potatoes, stir fry until done, add some soy sauce, then serve over rice or noodles with sesame oil.

This, but after adding the sweet potato, add in a can of whole or diced tomato and half a can of water. Simmer for 10 min then add peanut butter (and cilantro if you have it). Bring to a simmer and serve with brown rice.

angor fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 22, 2018

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Coconut milk/cream and curry powder and you got some :yum:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And add a spicy chili pepper (like Thai or serrano or jalapeno) at the beginning with the ginger/garlic/green onion and throw in spinach at the end! Or use galangal, shallots, lemongrass, and garlic instead of ginger, garlic, and green onion. Or tinker with it in any of a dozen others ways.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm dating a vegan girl and I've been trying to learn to cook things for her. I bought Dino's book and made the dino soup thing, the first recipe in the book. It was really good. It was missing a kick so I added some nutritional yeast, red chili flakes, and chili powder at the end. good as hell

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honest question: how do you get protein in dishes like this? I'm trying to eat less meat, and I like the taste of many vegan dishes, but unless I eat blocks and blocks of tofu it feels like a major slog to get a reasonable amount of complete proteins.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Honest question: how do you get protein in dishes like this? I'm trying to eat less meat, and I like the taste of many vegan dishes, but unless I eat blocks and blocks of tofu it feels like a major slog to get a reasonable amount of complete proteins.

How much protein do you reckon you need? Are you super active, do you exercise daily etc? I don't go to the gym or do sports or anything, but I am reasonably active and bike and walk to places (I don't have a car or even a licence), and I've never counted proteins at all or worried about them (vegan for four years or so). We eat beans most days, but that's mostly to make dishes more filling - if it works out nutritionally too, fine. Wholegrains and many vegetables have plenty of protein too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

PT6A posted:

Beans my dude, all the beans.

Ras Het posted:

many vegetables have plenty of protein too.

I was not aware of this, which ones?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The protein fetish invented and pushed by the current fitness fad is just that, a fetish and a fad. Unless you're serious about lifting weights and/or gaining muscle, a normal vegan diet with a moderate amount of legumes, tofu etc. and wholemeal products can fulfill your actual dietary needs just fine. If you're serious about getting buff and actually require the extra protein intake, there are vegan solutions for that, too! So much beans, they tasty

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Zenithe posted:

I was not aware of this, which ones?

I mean "plenty of" might be an exaggeration, but broccoli, kale and the like can have about a third as much protein as chickpeas or lentils, so the idea that You're Not Getting Any Protein if there's no legumes in your meal isn't right

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

PT6A posted:

edit: not really what you were asking

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Just made a batch of homemade tahini. Awhile back someone in this thread talked about how easy it is to make, and I'm so glad I started making it. I enjoy adding it to far more dishes now than I did previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Chana masala
Just made this (recipe I used was this one) and it was loving lush . Will definitely make it again.