Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

IronicDongz posted:

not 100% related I remember playing Rising Thunder and thinking that like... it didn't accomplish anything about difficulty of playing fighting games, because doing special moves is literally the easiest thing about playing fighting games.

And not only that, but personally I think "number of buttons" matters a lot more in terms of difficulty to control than doing stuff like QCF or DP motions, unless it's an old game that demands a lot more precision.
Like, Rising Thunder having 6 buttons makes it harder to start playing than something like Blazblue(or especially dbfz obviously) which only has 4, even though Blazblue makes you do DPs and stuff. just my imo

it made fgs less intimidating, as an idea, to people who know nothing

once they played one or 2 matches they quickly realized that what they thought was intimidating (motion inputs) are a tiny part of why they shy away from fg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

drat i forgot how loving ugly and stupid rising thunder was.

I think the idea, aside from the actual real idea of making a thing to attract investors, was that they deliberately made the characters completely uninteresting to look at in an effort to drive people towards cosmetic DLC.

anime was right posted:

i think sticking to directional inputs is fine for a newbie friendly fg (and basically how smash works) but no one has done this and explored the full space of what you can do there. 3d games do this, but no ones created a 2d agme where everything functions like a normal really

itd be cool to see like a 4 button game with really high emphasis on way more interesting movement options.

SNK Heroines and Bad Nicalis All-Stars are doing the directional input thing but not the other stuff.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

if they add Vice I'll buy SNK Heroines but if they don't I won't

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i liked the voice the grappler robot had + "heartbreaker" is a cool name of a command grab

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Theres a lot of cool looking trash FGs coming out this year. Between Blazblue X Tag Battle, SNK Heroines, Nicalis Blade Strangers and Fighting EX Layer, i cant wait for next year when thyere all on sale for 2 dollars and their respective developers are on the verge of bankrupcy

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BBTAG is actually super good :ssh:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

isn't that the case with Arika already

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

BBTAG is actually super good :ssh:

It can be interesting an also trashy. For BBxTag, they're selling a 80 dollar game where half of the roster is coming "later" and it's all reused assets and also most of those assets are from blazblue, a game almost as bad as SFV. And the original Khantent is from RWBY. Great. Love it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

most of those assets are from blazblue, a game almost as bad as SFV.

hmm nah

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

the inclusion of RWBY actively makes me want to play it less

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

In Training posted:

blazblue, a game almost as bad as SFV.

I haven't played a BB since CS but no.

That or this is as disingenuous as calling ST a lovely game because the original SF2 with no subtitles was a bad game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Barudak posted:

Close, its Deadliest Warrior: The Game

The Deadliest Warrior games were hilarious, me and a buddy found all sorts of little weird quirks and ran into a bunch of goofy bugs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blazblue is the opposite of SFV where it's the most grossly overdesigned game ever so its insanely unfun to learn, play, or watch. And it's sprite based but sadly all the character designs are fugly, the music sucks and all the stages are gross. Hence, almost as bad as SFV. At least the netcode is fine, and the story mode came out at launch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Crocoswine posted:

isn't that the case with Arika already

Yeah, they literally said "if you don't see us at EVO this years it'll be because our game flopped and we're dead"

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

that’s backwards ... the netcode is arcsys aka bad and people have weird superstitions about not skipping stage intros to make it work right

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

In Training posted:

It can be interesting an also trashy. For BBxTag, they're selling a 80 dollar game where half of the roster is coming "later"

wasn't the reveal/damage control on the dlc situation "the game itself is cheaper than normal & all the dlc makes it about equal to other games"?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

wasn't the reveal/damage control on the dlc situation "the game itself is cheaper than normal & all the dlc makes it about equal to other games"?

The game is 50 dollars and the dlc makes it 80. So no.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If KOFXIV can put out the launch roster they managed from scratch, being subsidized by chinese KFC and selling 15 preoders to prominent mexican and chinese arcade managers, ASW has no excuse for BBxTag.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Crocoswine posted:

if they add Vice I'll buy SNK Heroines but if they don't I won't

(Disappointed in self voice) Same

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

In Training posted:

If KOFXIV can put out the launch roster they managed from scratch, being subsidized by chinese KFC and selling 15 preoders to prominent mexican and chinese arcade managers, ASW has no excuse for BBxTag.

How many characters does it have anyways

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Lol drat

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I love kof catorce

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

How many characters does it have anyways

I think 54 or something in base roster

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bbxtag is being made by 4 people to make the company a huge fuckin pile of money also they have to pay licensing prob

its still dum btho

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

I think 54 or something in base roster

I think 50 base for $40. Another $40 for 8 more though lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

bbxtag is being made by 4 people to make the company a huge fuckin pile of money also they have to pay licensing prob

its still dum btho

They already made a huge pile of money off DBFZ

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ed Boon teasing a new Mortal Kombat ?
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/994696075129868288?s=19

Krossing my fingers

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Blazblue is fun. I'm playing Nine=The=Phantom and learning lots of matchups. I'll admit the stages are pretty bad tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Krossing my fingers

Mortal Kombat x Root Beer Tapper

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BlazBlue Cross seems super fun but also way overpriced for what it is. Chances are I would have to import it too because ArcSys games never come out in Europe in a timely manner.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Anime games don't have to try to get their fans to buy whatever nonsense they put out but kof players are fickle and would just as soon go back to just playing 97

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kurtofan posted:

Krossing my fingers

oh, it's spring, isn't it? we're at this part of the cycle now.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Krossing my fingers

Maybe this will be the MK I'll play for more than a month or two.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

*when playing MKX* These whacky promotional DLC fighters are really lame, give me actual MK characters.
*when playing Injustice 2* These MK DLC fighters are really lame, give me whacky promotional characters.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
No just give me the Quan Chi leg beat fatality and I'm good.

Oh poo poo Quan Chi died for real in MKX.

Now who the hell do I play?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Cf for 15 bucks was the best trying-a-new genre purchase i've made in years, any other games i've bought/tried since just make me appreciate poo poo in it i just took for granted more. Granted, i'm only 70 hours of casual tinkering in, basically a drop in the ocean, but another 70 sounds way more possible than i'd ever thought before i got it. Still wont git gud but totally okay with that.

The BBTAG dlc stuff looks kinda over the top tho, guess they're cashing in on all the rwby fans?
Time to wait for the full bundle sale when the only ones left playing are the dedicated hardcore god tiers who can disintegrate anyone else into fine paste using just their pinky without breaking a sweat :twisted:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 11, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The BBTAG dlc stuff looks kinda over the top tho, guess they're cashing in on all the rwby fans?

You'd think so, but all the RWBY characters announced so far are either going to be in the base game or will be available as free DLC.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

In Training posted:

Blazblue is the opposite of SFV where it's the most grossly overdesigned game ever so its insanely unfun to learn, play, or watch. And it's sprite based but sadly all the character designs are fugly, the music sucks and all the stages are gross. Hence, almost as bad as SFV. At least the netcode is fine, and the story mode came out at launch.

This is a worse post then anything Cabbagepots ever posted.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My biggest complaint for Blazblue is that I just don't "get" how to play most of the cast, but that works in BBTag's favor because pretty much all the characters I want to play are in the base game already so I get a game for a reduced price and don't feel pressured to buy the DLC dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i wonder when mk11 will come out