Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

marshmallow creep posted:

I haven't even found the companions after Serafen and Xoti already is already asking me to shack up. Slow your roll, girl, let's get to know each other some more. Can I ask her to wait until I'm ready or is her bringing it up one of those now-or-never situations?

I get the impression the developers were calibrating spontaneous interactions to occur frequently enough that most or all would be observed (good), but accidentally made it way oversensitive such that you immediately jump to extremes in character development (bad/amusing). Trigger likelihood may need a bit of tweaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone found any crazy good helmets yet?

Curious if that godlike drawback is a serious limitation or if I should go nature godlike for Ultimate Punch

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone else feel like some of the conversations just straight up ignore the dialogue option you choose? There are some smaller examples I can't remember now, but the biggest one in my mind so far is the first interaction with the queen in neketaka feels like we're just talking past each other. Maybe thats by design but it feels a bit sloppy.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also the thing with Soul Annihilation is that your weapon attack doesn't...actually matter that much. Like, it's literally just a standard attack with your primary weapon that, if it hits, has a ton of raw damage based on your focus dumped on top at the end. That means Soul Annihilation is more or less just as good with any weapon, since it's basically just an auto-attack hit. This is different from most other abilities that apply lashes or percentage changes to your actual weapon attack, meaning the stronger your weapon, the bigger the boost to them (which is why sabers reign supreme as far as base weapons go for dual wielding). Soul Annihilation doesn't actually use your weapon stats in the slightest, outside of "make an attack."

First, your focus is based on your weapon damage, so soul annihilation is based on how much damage you did on the prior attack. So it's strictly based on your weapon stats. Second, some of the mechanics gurus on the official forum said they tested it and soul annihilation also expends the focus generated by the attack that procs soul annihilation. I'm almost sure this means it more than doubles your damage every other hit, and that bonus stacks multiplicatively with every other damage bonus in the game, as long as they generate focus.

If you find soul annihilation underwhelming, it's probably because you didn't take draining whip. Biting whip looks like it might be better, but double focus gain actually translates into far, far more damage.

It does look like the top level abilities on monks are completely busted and shattered pillars look pretty broken too, but I don't know if anyone's done the math to determine whether they can compete with some of the stuff you get from multiclassing. Monk really benefits a lot and synergizes well with huge accuracy boosts for more crits (do the math on how much total damage one point of accuracy gets you if you take swift flurry, heartbeat drumming and wield a certain weapon) and passive damage from the animal companion on ranger; carnage and crit conversion on barbarian; soul annihilation, soul whip and some select cipher powers on soul blade; endlessly spammable paralysis cones, leading to more crits, leading to more paralysis and giant damage frost explosions with skald -- all those multiply your total damage by a lot and most of them give access to utility the monk doesn't have by itself.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

The writing in this game is so drat top Obsidian it's not funny. The old man in the bath house cracked me up with his slow man-spreading and my character had multiple ways of either saying "nope nope nope" or "yeesssss show me your old balls."

This was great as an Orlan.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know if there are any items that boost the effectiveness or give you any bonuses when you're in Spiritshift? I think PoE1 had... one?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

adhuin posted:

Diplomacy: When you really want to gently caress over a faction, but still want to continue with their quest-line. :smug:

I did the water-shaper quest for Huanu and released the prisoner. They literally lost their biggest defence against outsiders

Good, gently caress them and gently caress their caste system.

Burn down the system man.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

Slight Blow the Man Down aftermath spoiler:

And now I know what faction to support.

Makes me wonder if there actually are candied nuts in the game to bring to her...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Where can you find Shark meat. Wanna feed a good bird

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

First, your focus is based on your weapon damage, so soul annihilation is based on how much damage you did on the prior attack. So it's strictly based on your weapon stats. Second, some of the mechanics gurus on the official forum said they tested it and soul annihilation also expends the focus generated by the attack that procs soul annihilation. I'm almost sure this means it more than doubles your damage every other hit, and that bonus stacks multiplicatively with every other damage bonus in the game, as long as they generate focus.

If you find soul annihilation underwhelming, it's probably because you didn't take draining whip. Biting whip looks like it might be better, but double focus gain actually translates into far, far more damage.

It does look like the top level abilities on monks are completely busted and shattered pillars look pretty broken too, but I don't know if anyone's done the math to determine whether they can compete with some of the stuff you get from multiclassing. Monk really benefits a lot and synergizes well with huge accuracy boosts for more crits (do the math on how much total damage one point of accuracy gets you if you take swift flurry, heartbeat drumming and wield a certain weapon) and passive damage from the animal companion on ranger; carnage and crit conversion on barbarian; soul annihilation, soul whip and some select cipher powers on soul blade; endlessly spammable paralysis cones, leading to more crits, leading to more paralysis and giant damage frost explosions with skald -- all those multiply your total damage by a lot and most of them give access to utility the monk doesn't have by itself.

You're making Monk/Chanter sound way better than I thought it would :eyepop:

One thing about the top-level Monk abilities is that "deal a lot of damage" isn't really exclusive to Monk. Yeah, Inner Death is mega-strong and Whispers of the Wind seems like it has one of the highest Cool Factors of any ability in the game, but a) those come very, very late, and b) "do a lot of damage"/"do some AoE damage" is very good but not necessarily the greatest thing in the world.

Shattered Pillar/Skald seems like it could be pretty nuts with the multi-hits and crit synergy. I'm still leaning going pure Shattered Pillar for my Watcher, but then again--sure, Torment's Reach is cool as hell, but the paralysis cone invocation is also cool as hell, and if you can get high enough accuracy to crit enough is probably usable worryingly often, especially after landing the initial paralyze. Plus you can just passively chant buff auras the whole time.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Why are Priest of Berath and Bleak Walker Paladin mutually exclusive? As in, you can't pick one subclass if you pick the other one. I don't understand why they wouldn't be compatible lore-wise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Furism posted:

Why are Priest of Berath and Bleak Walker Paladin mutually exclusive? As in, you can't pick either one subclass if you pick the other one. I don't understand why they wouldn't be compatible lore-wise.

Conflicting dispositions. Priest of Berath have cruel as a disfavored one and Bleak Walkers have it as a favored one.

Bleak Walkers can only be Preists of Magran since they conflict with all the other options. Even Skaen.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Zore posted:

Where can you find Shark meat. Wanna feed a good bird

Sayuka fishmonger.

Zore posted:

Conflicting dispositions. Priest of Berath have cruel as a disfavored one and Bleak Walkers have it as a favored one.

Bleak Walkers can only be Preists of Magran since they conflict with all the other options. Even Skaen.

Do the favoured and disfavoured dispositions of the gods and orders even do anything this game? It feels almost impossible not to max out every disposition.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Malek Deneith posted:

Makes me wonder if there actually are candied nuts in the game to bring to her...
There are candied nuts and I'm currently trying to find a store that sells them or the ingredients needed for the recipe.

It's oddly hard to find sugar and salt in this game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't know how y'all have finished the game with only 40 hours in. I've put that much time in and I've barely touched the main quest.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Zore posted:

Didn't realize Berath had cruel as a disfavored disposition. The prices the Pallid Knights asks are unachievable on purpose and that sounds pretty nasty to me?

Anyway, that's how it is. My Bleak Walker Death Godlike Paladin is now a Priest of Berath/Fighter (Cleric) Death Godlike.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

I don't know how y'all have finished the game with only 40 hours in. I've put that much time in and I've barely touched the main quest.

The main quest is hella short. The meat is the side stuff.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Zore posted:

Can you play after completing the main quest or do you have to start a new game?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Zore posted:

Which is pity. Death Godlike Priest of Skaen/Bleak Walker multiclass would be pretty much maximum edge.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

2house2fly posted:

People are finishing the game having done "most of the content" at 40 hours? :stare:

Yeah, removing trash mobs results in a shorter game whoda thunk

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Neurosis posted:

the archmage's guys in his house also owned me pretty hard at level 5. i could take one steel thing at a time or one iron and a steel but dear lord having 3 run at you while some imps also pound on you was terrible. i'm happy to run into these things i can't handle so early in the game tho

That quest is showing up as 3 or 4 levels above me and I'm level 6. Probably don't wanna do that at level 5. I'm determined to finish my current run because I don't want to get into a restart-loop already. There's so many classes etc I wanna try though.

I have no idea how people are finishing already though. The game came out Tuesday :psyduck:. Maybe I just play at a slower pace. I've been taking my time and reading the lore etc and I'm not even close to done.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Can you put all the enchantments on a unique item? I don't see any enchantment limit any more. I have a bunch of things I can update to Fine and I want to make sure I'm not locking myself out of a future better enchantment by doing that

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zore posted:

divx posted:

Can you play after completing the main quest or do you have to start a new game?

This is a really good question. I've also heard that there's a time limit on the Critical Path because... y'know, Eothas isn't standing still. Is there any penalty for taking too long?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

There are candied nuts and I'm currently trying to find a store that sells them or the ingredients needed for the recipe.

It's oddly hard to find sugar and salt in this game.
For what it's worth I just found one dose of sugar (and some nuts) in inventory of fruit seller in Dunnage market.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

2house2fly posted:

Can you put all the enchantments on a unique item? I don't see any enchantment limit any more. I have a bunch of things I can update to Fine and I want to make sure I'm not locking myself out of a future better enchantment by doing that

I haven't actually upgraded anything fully yet but I've got a single enchant left for a few weapons and far as I can tell there's no point system or mutual exclusivity gotchas but there are tons of mutual exclusivity gotchas and I'm dumb. Every unique has its own particular list of purchasable enchantments, plus the fine - excellent - superb - legendary upgrade chain.

Also, how the hel is the skull-flail not a soulbound weapon?

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 16, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kith posted:

This is a really good question. I've also heard that there's a time limit on the Critical Path because... y'know, Eothas isn't standing still. Is there any penalty for taking too long?

There's no time limit. After you do enough main quests it unlocks the end of the faction questlines, so you can pick one to get you to the finale. But you can take however long you like to get there :shrug:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So uhhh as a player with limited crpg experience what spells should I be focusing on a pure wizard, pure priest, and a chanter? The variety is daunting,abd obviously some are going to be really strong and some will end up pretty weak.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Zotix posted:

So uhhh as a player with limited crpg experience what spells should I be focusing on a pure wizard, pure priest, and a chanter? The variety is daunting,abd obviously some are going to be really strong and some will end up pretty weak.

Uhh what role do you want each to take? Assumably you're taking priests for their healing spells, but Xoti's tailor made to deal a shitload of damage for a priest. Chanters are good at support and summoning. Wizards can do pretty much anything you want them to except heal.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Harrow posted:

Question time: how are Paladins and Druids at healing? Would I miss having a Priest around? I ask because if it ever comes down to kicking out either Xoti or Pallegina (and to be fair I have no idea if companion relationships actually get that contentious) I know which one has my loyalty.

Priests are mainly active/burst healing so they are more prone to overhealing.
Druids have early access to Moonwell, which is an AOE regen. They get access to more active healing around PL3.
Chanters get everything: passive healing, active healing, active damage shielding, active revives - not to mention all the summons/damage invocations
Paladins can do emergency Lay on Hands for the early game until/if they get Exalted Endurance which gives passive healing from their aura. They get more active heals and revives/cleanses later on.

Harrow posted:

Anyone found any crazy good helmets yet?

Curious if that godlike drawback is a serious limitation or if I should go nature godlike for Ultimate Punch

Nothing that comes close to rivaling Nature Godlike's +2 all Power Levels while under any inspiration buff. There's a helm that gives like +2 all Illusion power levels, but that's it.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 11, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do you get ships in any way other than that shop or should I just spend half the game saving up for a Junk?

Or should I get the Galleon instead? Junk has more guns and crew but I bet the Galleon is nicer looking.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Has anyone found an early-game-accessible unique warhammer, flail, or pike?

Overall it feels like there are just a lot fewer uniques than in PoE 1, but maybe that's because we don't have the expansions yet to flesh out the variety a bit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zotix posted:

I would focus on anything that shuts people down, doubly so if it inches them closest to the best status effect ("dead"). At level 1, for example, a Wizard's Chill Fog does AOE damage in a hazard zone, but also blinds people in it. Careful positioning of your characters obviously helps a lot here, but blinding the entire enemy group AND doing some damage at the same time is Pretty Good. Tekehu's is even better, since it's Foe AOE, although it is a higher level.

Good afflictions to look for are Paralyzed, Frightened, Terrified, Confused, Stunned, Charmed, and Dominated, since they cold stop enemies (and in the case of the lattermost, bring them to your side!).

Moonwell and Consecrated Ground are good heals for the Druid and Priest, respectively.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

what exactly does "expert mode" limit or change? i ask because i'm playing on expert (as i did with PoE1) but this time i can still see all of the combat targeting reticles, which was one of the major things that "expert mode" removed in PoE1.

i guess i still don't get to see dialogue meta-info (which comment relates to which reputation or whatever) but that seems to be the only thing it's obscuring.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zotix posted:

wizards are hard CC all the way. take spells that disable enemies / give them status malus and never look back. some of the protection spells are useful depending on your difficulty level. IMO most of the damage spells are a trap option because there's other casters (like druids) that have way better damage output and less control utility.

priests are combat buffing monsters and healers. i'd focus on things like Bless or Crowns or whatever gives your team status buffs. priests are also one of the only ways to remove status malus, so pick spells that remove negative conditions from your team. priests have some damage spells too but again those are their lowest priority to choose.

chanters can do a ton of poo poo so they really depend on how you want to build them. their more unique feature seems to be summoning, so picking powers that summon skeletons or giants or dragons or whatever is a great idea. they are also force multipliers so if you pick chants that compliment the rest of your team's combat style, they will make the rest of the squad more powerful.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Is there a way to set up the AI to just reliably auto-cast Instant buffs with no recovery the moment they expire? Stuff like Disciplined Strikes and Swift Flurry. I like controlling the party manually at all times but I'm also getting tired of clicking those buttons multiple times every fight, and want them going pretty much all the time for characters that have them.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Has anyone found an early-game-accessible unique warhammer, flail, or pike?

Overall it feels like there are just a lot fewer uniques than in PoE 1, but maybe that's because we don't have the expansions yet to flesh out the variety a bit.

I think one of the early ship bounty targets has a unique pike that looks like a wooden fork, but it wouldn't drop for me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

wizards are hard CC all the way. take spells that disable enemies / give them status malus and never look back. some of the protection spells are useful depending on your difficulty level. IMO most of the damage spells are a trap option because there's other casters (like druids) that have way better damage output and less control utility.

That was definitely true in Poe1 but man I casted an Empowered Minoletta's Missiles yesterday in a fight and god drat it melted things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Is there a way to set up the AI to just reliably auto-cast Instant buffs with no recovery the moment they expire? Stuff like Disciplined Strikes and Swift Flurry. I like controlling the party manually at all times but I'm also getting tired of clicking those buttons multiple times every fight, and want them going pretty much all the time for characters that have them.

If you look in the AI scripting for each ability there's a little clock face, you can set a time delay there, and it will recast when the time delay expires presuming other conditions are met.

Alternatively you can do something like "target: self" ""target has inspiration: Dexterity" [checkbox: NOT] and it will recast on you whenever you don't have a Dex inspiration. It's harder to do if it's not an explicit "inspiration" buff.

The real shame is absence of "max focus" or "ascended" buff from the scripting criteria, so you can't just automagically go to town once you hit max focus.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what do I want to pick up as a cantor? Doing shattered pillar/skald. do I want primarily monk abilities with chanter backup or the reverse?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Priests are mainly active/burst healing so they are more prone to overhealing.
Druids have early access to Moonwell, which is an AOE regen. They get access to more active healing around PL3.
Chanters get everything: passive healing, active healing, active damage shielding, active revives - not to mention all the summons/damage invocations
Paladins can do emergency Lay on Hands for the early game until/if they get Exalted Endurance which gives passive healing from their aura. They get more active heals and revives/cleanses later on.

Chanters seem pretty insanely cool, I gotta say.

How is Pallegina as a Paladin/Chanter? I think I want Tekehu as a pure Druid and I'm probably going Monk on my Watcher, but Herald seems like a potentially good multiclass combination.

queeb posted:

what do I want to pick up as a cantor? Doing shattered pillar/skald. do I want primarily monk abilities with chanter backup or the reverse?

On Monk, you'll want anything that increases how often you hit and anything that buffs your accuracy. On the Chanter side, you'll probably want a few key offensive invocations--"At the Sound of His Voice" for the paralysis, AoE damage from the lightning cones and ice explosions, and whatever chants seem like nice passive buffs.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Harrow posted:

Chanters seem pretty insanely cool, I gotta say.

How is Pallegina as a Paladin/Chanter? I think I want Tekehu as a pure Druid and I'm probably going Monk on my Watcher, but Herald seems like a potentially good multiclass combination.

I really like Pallegina as a paladin/chanter, the summons provide some very strong backup and some of the tougher fights in the game get *very* long so it's useful to have folks in the party with renewable casting resources.

That said her first level chanter skill picks are asstoast and you're stuck with them