Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Thank you to whoever gave Lowtax 10 bucks for me. I was only going to give him 5 so this is double as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Miles Mikolas is 5-0 with a 2.51 ERA, 35 K's and only 3 BB's.

V: Cardinals devil magic?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

N: Miles Mikolas is 5-0 with a 2.51 ERA, 35 K's and only 3 BB's.

V: Cardinals devil magic?

Korean Magic more like, the Cards were just smart enough to see it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Scott Servais has some family matters to attend to, so Manny Acta is going to be Seattle's interim coach.

Who's filling in at bench coach? Ichiro :getin:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Baseball in America is a sport for rich white boys.

It's probably pretty difficult to be talented at it as a prep player without spending a ton of money on travel ball and camps. Whereas football and basketball have a ton of rags to riches stories, you're not going to find that in born and bred American baseball players now.

A lot, and probably all, of the highly rated basketball recruits spend their summers playing AAU ball, which can run a few thousand a year, I think that is pretty close to what travel baseball runs. Football also has it's share of camps that colleges go and recruit at. What might be a bigger difference is there's probably more scholarships for kids to play at private high schools in basketball and football than there are for baseball.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bird in a Blender posted:

A lot, and probably all, of the highly rated basketball recruits spend their summers playing AAU ball, which can run a few thousand a year, I think that is pretty close to what travel baseball runs. Football also has it's share of camps that colleges go and recruit at. What might be a bigger difference is there's probably more scholarships for kids to play at private high schools in basketball and football than there are for baseball.

I think the popularity and cash flow of college level affects that. Might be more money in NCAA football/basketball to help kids to step up to NCAA level.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 11, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yeah it's pretty clear teams are grappling with signs & sign stealing a lot more now, and I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything to speed up the game much since the pitcher can still step off as much as he likes and the batter can still call for time to step out of the box and adjust his gloves/helmet/junk as much as he likes. The Sox/Yankees game yesterday is a good example: after the Yankees four run inning the Red Sox must have thought the Yankees were doing something to steal signs, because they went to multiples even with nobody on for the 9th. It seriously took the catcher like 10 seconds to signal for the pitch he wants, and Kimbrel just kinda stares in for another five or so seconds before stepping off because he has no loving clue what to throw. Pace of play!

Then again I can't remember a single change proposed by Manfred is his entire tenure so far that hasn't been useless, terrible, or both.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear teams are grappling with signs & sign stealing a lot more now, and I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything to speed up the game much since the pitcher can still step off as much as he likes and the batter can still call for time to step out of the box and adjust his gloves/helmet/junk as much as he likes. The Sox/Yankees game yesterday is a good example: after the Yankees four run inning the Red Sox must have thought the Yankees were doing something to steal signs, because they went to multiples even with nobody on for the 9th. It seriously took the catcher like 10 seconds to signal for the pitch he wants, and Kimbrel just kinda stares in for another five or so seconds before stepping off because he has no loving clue what to throw. Pace of play!

Then again I can't remember a single change proposed by Manfred is his entire tenure so far that hasn't been useless, terrible, or both.

Double-whammy approach: catchers get buttons that play sounds in the pitcher's hat. The added hardware in the pitcher's hat conveniently fits inside a padded hat.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mustached Demon posted:

Double-whammy approach: catchers get buttons that play sounds in the pitcher's hat. The added hardware in the pitcher's hat conveniently fits inside a padded hat.

Only acceptable if the padded hat also doubles as a nacho dispenser for teammates in the dugout.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sydin posted:

After starting with an ironic defense, I've actually come around to genuine support for "you can choose your batting order for the 9th inning." Which wasn't floated as a serious idea but leaked as an unattributed item in a list of others.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
For fun I asked my wife about who she thinks the most famous current player is.

quote:

errrrrr..... is manny ramirez still a baseball player? david ortiz? dustin pedroia? sorry, i really don't know anything about baseball other than that you like the red sox. (but i can still name most of the starting lineup of the 1986 mets!!!)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

I know i typed a lot of words, but thought out, and your example is what I am saying as far as signs and limited mound visits but not even as bad as I have seen it.

In the end, more convoluted rules will drive more casual fans away if attracting them is the goal then shaving off 5 seconds here, 20 seconds there adding up to a few minutes a game as a "speed things up" experiment while in the end making things the same or slower and longer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

I like the intentional walk change

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just saw that Matt Harvey is now a Red and making his first start today.

Probably should have just taken that minor league assignment.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pancakes posted:

Only acceptable if the padded hat also doubles as a nacho dispenser for teammates in the dugout.

Um yeah that's a given.

Also pitchers better have wicked movement or some other cruel punchout if they plan on using the price is right loser noise for their signs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

I like the intentional walk change

It's inoffensive but I still prefer the manual IBB because it forced a pitcher to soft toss four times out of the zone and threw off their timing. It wasn't a huge deal or anything but I liked the idea that you had to sacrifice your pitcher's rhythm to IBB a guy. Yeah it wasted 30 seconds but eh. You are right though that as far as pace of play goes it's the best change.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If he's really worried about games taking too long, then the obvious solution that's been proven to work is a pitch clock.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

After starting with an ironic defense, I've actually come around to genuine support for "you can choose your batting order for the 9th inning." Which wasn't floated as a serious idea but leaked as an unattributed item in a list of others.

ESPN Radio Sunday Night Baseball. I generally like the commentators. But any time it goes into extra innings all they do is complain about it, barely even calling the game anymore, and just offer up ideas on how to end the game with ties after so many innings or ending it with a home run derby or anything else they can think of because they clearly don't want to be there any more and make it hard to listen to. I get it that they don't have loyalty to a home team and can't be biased, which otherwise usually makes extra inning home broadcasts fun, but I don't want to hear about what time your flight is and pissing and moaning most of the time about how much you want this to be over when I am trying to enjoy a tight game.

My recommendation to them instead of their wacky early game ending ideas: New broadcasters after the 10th. If it's going into extras, let them call the 10th to give some standby casters an inning to get ready and bring them in for the 11th and onward. Call up the broadcaster bullpen, let the starters go. Everyone would be happier, problem solved without new baseball rules.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Random fans get to call an inning in the booth after the 10th. Try to find the drunkest guy if possible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If he's really worried about games taking too long, then the obvious solution that's been proven to work is a pitch clock.

We were supposed to get it this year but the offseason penny pinching made the MLBPA shy away from endorsing it, and Manfred didn't want to take all the heat if it flopped. So instead we're getting it next year unless the players manage to bring the average time down by some arbitrary amount this season "of their own accord." So we're getting next year, with a nice "Well I tried to let the players do it themselves but they weren't interested, so I have no choice but to implement the pitch clock, blame slow players not me!" statement to go along with it. :rolleyes:

You want a quick and unobtrusive way to move the game along? Prevent pitchers from stepping off unless they're throwing to a base (if they step off with nobody on base it's an automatic ball, if they step off with runners on but don't throw it's an automatic balk, yes I realize this would destroy Jon Lester shut up) and prevent batters from leaving the box unless it's part of the natural course of play such as avoiding a pitch or running the bases (if they step out at any other time, it's an automatic strike). Also take away their ability to call time because that poo poo is the worst. These two things together add at least 10 minutes per game, easy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Twenty Four posted:

ESPN Radio Sunday Night Baseball. I generally like the commentators. But any time it goes into extra innings all they do is complain about it, barely even calling the game anymore, and just offer up ideas on how to end the game with ties after so many innings or ending it with a home run derby or anything else they can think of because they clearly don't want to be there any more and make it hard to listen to. I get it that they don't have loyalty to a home team and can't be biased, which otherwise usually makes extra inning home broadcasts fun, but I don't want to hear about what time your flight is and pissing and moaning most of the time about how much you want this to be over when I am trying to enjoy a tight game.

My favourite part about Buck and Pat on Sportsnet is how freely they allow Buck to (rightly) complain about the buster posey and 30 second back room video review rules. All that without missing a beat on calling the game, too. Buck Martinez is the best.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'll support any rule that results in more position players pitching.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's cool, but I'm wondering if a kid born in 1994 will get that reference
His twitter handle is @Buehlersdayoff

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'll support any rule that results in more position players pitching.

Well, without the DH, you do!

So gently caress the DH :smuggo:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Well, without the DH, you do!

So gently caress the DH :smuggo:

The DH is a position. Which makes the Angels the first team to add a position player to their starting rotation full time.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

The talk about baseball's last superstar reminded me of a personal story. My friends and I were watching the White Sox play the Yankees and Jeter was batting. My father, a Korean immigrant with no knowledge of baseball apart from Chan Ho Park and the Chicago clubs, stops to watch the game briefly.

"Who's that batting? I've seen him before."

"That's Derek Jeter, dad. He's the star shortstop of the Yankees."

He pauses for a moment. "I don't like his face." And then he walks off.

I can't say I disagree, dad.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

To be fair Chase Field loving sucks

It's actually a cool stadium :colbert:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

My favourite part about Buck and Pat on Sportsnet is how freely they allow Buck to (rightly) complain about the buster posey and 30 second back room video review rules. All that without missing a beat on calling the game, too. Buck Martinez is the best.

I was going more with the radio guys Sciambi and Singleton but yeah!

Also as far as pitch timer goes, the times I have seen it "implemented" in minors or fall league or whatever, like it's there, but no one really pays attention and the ump just doesn't want to call it because going a second and a half over takes less time then making a call and dealing with all of that which will take way longer and be more of a pain.

It might work for something like the NBA shot clock, where it is all automated, but imagine all the time spent with umpires meeting up to decide if he pitched before the clock, extra time for appeals, punishment, resetting everything, to shave a second or two off of a pitch or two every few innings. The only way it makes sense is for notoriously slow pitchers, and at that point, just call it a wash.

Another point of "more rules does more harm then good".

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

His twitter handle is @Buehlersdayoff

His last name is probably a blessing in disguise because it distracts from the fact that he's a pitcher with the name "Walker".

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DTaeKim posted:

The talk about baseball's last superstar reminded me of a personal story. My friends and I were watching the White Sox play the Yankees and Jeter was batting. My father, a Korean immigrant with no knowledge of baseball apart from Chan Ho Park and the Chicago clubs, stops to watch the game briefly.

"Who's that batting? I've seen him before."

"That's Derek Jeter, dad. He's the star shortstop of the Yankees."

He pauses for a moment. "I don't like his face." And then he walks off.

I can't say I disagree, dad.

He's not wrong.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

But doesn't MLBAM control/do a whole lot of non-baseball, or rather not baseball specific stuff?

Not that it helps create baseball fans I guess, but it's probably nice money.

BAMTech provides the back end for WWE Network, the NHL, PlayStation Vue, and some ESPN stuff, but the company was sold to Disney last year (resulting in every MLB team getting a $50 million payout). So nowadays all MLBAM does is crap out an RBI Baseball game every other year and operate like a half-dozen websites.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
It sure would be cool if Kole Calhoun could get going even a little bit. I don't know if I've ever seen a player slump so hard for this long. If you ignore opening day, where he went 3-5 with a triple and home run his stats are: 16 for 118 with 4 walks and 1 sac fly. No extra base hits at all. Thats a .142/.169/.142 slash line. His season OPS is lower than alot of guys OBP and is lower than league average SLG.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Good Dog posted:

It sure would be cool if Kole Calhoun could get going even a little bit. I don't know if I've ever seen a player slump so hard for this long. If you ignore opening day, where he went 3-5 with a triple and home run his stats are: 16 for 118 with 4 walks and 1 sac fly. No extra base hits at all. Thats a .142/.169/.142 slash line. His season OPS is lower than alot of guys OBP and is lower than league average SLG.

This but Jackie Bradley Jr.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Random fans get to call an inning in the booth after the 10th. Try to find the drunkest guy if possible.

Please, no. Being around near-blackout drunk people who want to talk about sports is my own personal hell.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

tadashi posted:

Please, no. Being around near-blackout drunk people who want to talk about sports is my own personal hell.

I thought we were trying to create an incentive to make the game faster. This can only help.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tadashi posted:

All extra innings in baseball are called by Jeff Garlin.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

All extra innings in baseball are called by Jeff Garlin Goldblum.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

All extra innings in baseball are called by Jeff Garlin.

That's immediately who I thought of too.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just cave and put Hank Azaria in the booth as Brockmire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

poo poo, I hadn't realized the second season of Brockmire has begun now. That first season was excellent.

• Locked thread