Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Eletriarnation posted:

Power supply issues could manifest in a lot of forms but I would expect a brownout to cause the whole system to reboot, not just crash a process. What happens if you run a stress test like Furmark?

I had a irl friend who has some bad home wiring in his house. It's now killed 3 power supplies in one computer. Each time the power supply starts failing to causes a whole slew of issues. This last time he could play games for a couple minutes and then the whole system would freeze. It got so bad that the system would just freeze any time he loaded a game. He replaced the power supply and bought a pure sine wave UPS had is not having any more issues. Power supply issues can cause so many problems that until you've gone through trouble shooting every other part there isn't a good way to troubleshoot for it unless you have a tools to test power supplies.

I've had power supply issues that caused graphical artifacts randomly when playing games. I had a two rail PSU that just wouldn't boot when everything was plugged into the 12v1 rail after a few years, but it would still boot and play games if I loaded it CPU on 12v1 and gpu on 12v2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Not sure where to find that. All I see on EVGA download page is drivers which I know are up to date.

The last EVGA BIOS update was in Nov 2016, AFAIK, so you probably are up to date on that one: https://forums.evga.com/Update-11916-with-NEW-BIOS-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-108010701060-PWM-Temperature-Update-m2573491.aspx

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Salvor_Hardin posted:

EVGA. I hadn't seen it before either. It's entirely possible I'm doing something stupid though.

If you're using EVGA's Precision XOC software, they've recently changed developers or something and are having a hell of a buggy time after they introduced a bomb that didn't qualify to count as a beta and then started a public beta program and are trying to put the software back where it was in January. Bugs have included a lot of fan issues, including jumping to 100% andnot obeying user-set curves, etc.

You can use MSI Afterburner instead of you want, though you'll lose the asynchronous fans on an iCX system where only one of the two fans will turn on if it's the part underneath it that's running hot. In fact, I think Afterburner controls one only one of the fans period.

Your other option would be to find a copy of XOC from before April when they began making big changes. It's just going through an "Internet Explorer 4" phase as it bloats up into something bigger than what everybody initially downloaded it for. I think they're eyeballing integrating controls and gauges for their other devices like liquid coolers and PSUs into it eventually.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 11, 2018

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Craptacular! posted:

If you're using EVGA's Precision XOC software, they've recently changed developers or something and are having a hell of a buggy time after they introduced a bomb that didn't qualify to count as a beta and then started a public beta program and are trying to put the software back where it was in January. Bugs have included a lot of fan issues, including jumping to 100% andnot obeying user-set curves, etc.

You can use MSI Afterburner instead of you want, though you'll lose the asynchronous fans on an iCX system where only one of the two fans will turn on if it's the part underneath it that's running hot. In fact, I think Afterburner controls one only one of the fans period.

Your other option would be to find a copy of XOC from before April when they began making big changes. It's just going through an "Internet Explorer 4" phase as it bloats up into something bigger than what everybody initially downloaded it for. I think they're eyeballing integrating controls and gauges for their other devices like liquid coolers and PSUs into it eventually.

Awesome info, thanks. If it's something that they are aware of and actively working on a fix then I won't sweat it too much.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Normality has been restored: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1330062-REG/evga_11g_p4_6393_kr_geforce_gtx_1080_ti.html

Of course, this is just making me think we might *actually* see the 1170 and 1180 sooner than expected.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Normality has been restored: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1330062-REG/evga_11g_p4_6393_kr_geforce_gtx_1080_ti.html

Of course, this is just making me think we might *actually* see the 1170 and 1180 sooner than expected.

I would not be so sure about that, this means that Nvidia is still producing the 10 series chips, normally you would see supply completely dry up before a new release but instead supply is getting better.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would not be so sure about that, this means that Nvidia is still producing the 10 series chips, normally you would see supply completely dry up before a new release but instead supply is getting better.

quote:

Demand from cryptocurrency miners was stronger-than-expected in the first quarter and translated into revenue of $289 million, Nvidia said Thursday on its earnings conference call. Crypto sales will probably fall by about two-thirds in the current fiscal quarter, the company said.
there's a whole lot of demand going away

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

That Ebay GTX1070 wound up being a scam unfortunately.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It would be a miracle if it wasn't. duh.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

uh excuse me it says 1070 on the box so

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Wow I was really rooting for you buddy, I thought you'd landed the big one! What a shocking letdown

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
goons acting like they be helping a dude who knew what they were getting into

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

goons acting like they be helping a dude who knew what they were getting into

please diagram this sentence or explain what you mean.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Well there's your problem, your computer is displaying the memory in GB while the sticker clearly states GD.
That's two whole letters better!

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Got a partial refund.

Ebay seller person posted:

Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry to hear of this issue. This item was a item that we purchased brand new factory sealed and a buyer purchased the item, then the same day it was delivered opened a return request stating they "changed my mind". Once the item was returned to us we inspected it and relisted it. This sticker matched the 8gb reference so we do not think anything of it. I am guessing our buyer purchased this to replace their old model and cheated us.

So uh, thanks Ebay for the $150 1060?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eggyolk posted:

Got a partial refund.

So uh, thanks Ebay for the $150 1060?

You should be able to get a full refund. Did you get the refund through the seller or through ebay? Don't settle for a partial refund. If the seller's policy is "no returns", you probably won't even have to return it (though you could offer to let the seller pay for shipping). If you don't want a 3gb 1060, I wouldn't keep it, especially considering you likely won't get the transferable warranty with a fake S/N sticker (if it really is a gigabyte card - you can check with HWiNFO portable). Brook no poo poo from sellers.

Scams exist, but they're not necessarily the majority of auctions - I got a perfectly fine MSI blower 1070 ti for $430. Just be very aggressive with pursuing full refunds (and only bid on item that have pictures of the card that show the S/N if you want to be more sure).

E: Eggyolk isn't the goon who ordered the $60 card from China - they got a $400 1070, which pretty much the going rate for used 1070s right now.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 11, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
150 is a good deal for a 1060

odd...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Could have been worse. You could have gotten a 2GB 1050.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thats still like 80-100 less than they cost. Could have been a lot worse. Make sure it is stable though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Yeah im the one waiting on the $60 "1060", I cant wait to show it off if I actually get it

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah im the one waiting on the $60 "1060", I cant wait to show it off if I actually get it

:chloe:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Seen innumerable 1080 tis for £50 on uk ebay. A lot of them sell too. Always wondered if the sellers ever get any money for it. Ebay must swoop on these sorts of things farely quickly by now.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 12, 2018

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Went over to BestBuy today and they actually had cards on the shelf - for regular retail prices.

1080ti's
1070ti's
rx580s

Was definitely surprised.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
WCCFBullshitech is claiming the 1180Ti will have 32GB of GDDR6 and cost $749-799.

It would be interesting if nVidia released the whole line at the same time, but that'd cut back on impulse upgraders.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

For what possible reason would Nvidia release a 32GB gaming card at this point. I get that they need to fill the memory bus, but they could half the chip density to 16GB and it would still be massive overkill for gaming.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

WCCFBullshitech is claiming the 1180Ti will have 32GB of GDDR6 and cost $749-799.

It would be interesting if nVidia released the whole line at the same time, but that'd cut back on impulse upgraders.

What. Why would it have 32GB when 16 would be plenty for non-workstation card? Seems really unlikely.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
2 gamers one video card?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You can definitely see when the crypto boom started from this chart, also those are some hyooge gains in the datacenter area which is unsurprising.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Sininu posted:

What. Why would it have 32GB when 16 would be plenty for non-workstation card? Seems really unlikely.

That ethereum DAG keeps growing in size.. they can tell their miners the card will be good through 2070

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I mean honestly 12 GB seemed kind of crazy, and 8 GB before that. But I dont believe it regardless. Which means it'll release next week

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
^
Probably 32gb so the things can drive 4k displays on a single card but who knows if that's legit or not.

Also, random Asus ROG Strix 1080ti issue (?):

When on the loading screen of any graphically intense game or benchmark, my mouse cursor will start to lag/stutter really bad along with some mild screen brightness flickering (happens on all displays I've tried). I'll also get some really nasty sounding coil whine. Nothing ever crashes, everything is buttery smooth once the game loads, and there's no other problems with the card otherwise.

This sometimes happens with windows programs too. If I run spotify in a window with hardware acceleration turned on and continuously drag the window around the desktop, the window will sort of lag/chug/sputter across the screen for 2-3 seconds and then return to buttery smoothness. It doesn't happen with all windows programs though; just Spotify only when hardware acceleration is turned on (and Microsoft Excel/Word but apparently that's some issue inherit to MS office suite stuff not playing nicely with nvidia drivers).

Is this something to be concerned about?

I am running this thing only on a 750 watt gold rated PSU with the card itself jammed into a micro ATX mobo and apparently this card can draw like 350 watts at full load.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 13, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

I mean honestly 12 GB seemed kind of crazy, and 8 GB before that. But I dont believe it regardless. Which means it'll release next week

Yeah, but to use the entire memory bus the alternative in those cases would have been 6GB and 4GB respectively, which wouldn't be enough for those cards. OTOH halving 32GB still leaves the card with plenty of memory.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Avalanche posted:

Also, random Asus ROG Strix 1080ti issue (?)

1) How old is the PSU? It might be on its way out and doing some funky poo poo as it dies. Some PSUs are just crap to begin with -- I had a 700w EVGA PSU that caused some weird interference issues (including some noticable humming when certain games were paused). Swapped that one out with a 800w Corsair and never had that problem again.

2) Have you switched drivers? I reverted back to 391.35 because the latest drivers were buggy as hell.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

repiv posted:

Yeah, but to use the entire memory bus the alternative in those cases would have been 6GB and 4GB respectively, which wouldn't be enough for those cards. OTOH halving 32GB still leaves the card with plenty of memory.

Honestly 32GB is enough to load many games entirely into memory, 64GB the vast majority. Would there be a performance gain at that point?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

Honestly 32GB is enough to load many games entirely into memory, 64GB the vast majority. Would there be a performance gain at that point?
It would reduce loading times (after one initial big loading screen) and pop-in issues, but it probably wouldn't affect the framerate because you really don't want to be waiting for data from the disk when rendering your frames.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Even today there are a number of games where most loading times and pop-in issues would be largely solved if the game bothered to utilize the available VRAM, but they don't because they're fundamentally written to run on consoles, and the extra VRAM largely goes to waste. 16 or 32 or 64GB VRAM on a top-end part that will likely never see more than a 2% install base wouldn't change that at all.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

1) How old is the PSU? It might be on its way out and doing some funky poo poo as it dies. Some PSUs are just crap to begin with -- I had a 700w EVGA PSU that caused some weird interference issues (including some noticable humming when certain games were paused). Swapped that one out with a 800w Corsair and never had that problem again.

2) Have you switched drivers? I reverted back to 391.35 because the latest drivers were buggy as hell.

PSU is a 1.5 year old Corsair RM750x. I hosed up big time a couple months ago trying to recover data off of a friend's old platter hard drive, wasn't thinking, and plugged in the drive using some power cable that came with the drive directly to my PSU instead of just using the power cable that came with my modular PSU. Ended up shorting my system out x3 before I realized what a loving idiot I was. Luckily, the mobo has some anti surge feature that kills power to everything if it detects something going wrong with PSU power delivery so no fried components. Always wondered if I screwed up the PSU big time with that.

And yea, the issue persists with any/all Nvidia drivers. Again, it's not really an issue so much as just a concern.

Only other weird behavior I can think of is trying to run the Uniengine "Superposition" benchmark at 8k Ultrawide Extreme settings which takes about 10gigs of vram. Running it that high the benchmark will never start, and the I/O on the mobo gets semi knocked out with the sound card/speakers acting like they were plugged in and detected by windows for the first time. Same thing would happen when trying to overclock my CPU too high. Able to alt/tab out and kill the benchmark just fine though.

It also runs 'great' at 8k-12k extreme resolution 16:9 at 1fps on average taking up 9gigs of vram soooooooo
?

EDIT:

Just plugged my system specs into a wattage/power draw calculator from Coolermaster here.

This thing claims under absolute worst overclock full load conditions my system could be requiring around 580-630 watts which is not all that much headroom for a 750 watt supply.

Looks like it's time for a beefier PSU

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 14, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Avalanche posted:

PSU is a 1.5 year old Corsair RM750x. I hosed up big time a couple months ago trying to recover data off of a friend's old platter hard drive, wasn't thinking, and plugged in the drive using some power cable that came with the drive directly to my PSU instead of just using the power cable that came with my modular PSU. Ended up shorting my system out x3 before I realized what a loving idiot I was. Luckily, the mobo has some anti surge feature that kills power to everything if it detects something going wrong with PSU power delivery so no fried components. Always wondered if I screwed up the PSU big time with that.

And yea, the issue persists with any/all Nvidia drivers. Again, it's not really an issue so much as just a concern.

Only other weird behavior I can think of is trying to run the Uniengine "Superposition" benchmark at 8k Ultrawide Extreme settings which takes about 10gigs of vram. Running it that high the benchmark will never start, and the I/O on the mobo gets semi knocked out with the sound card/speakers acting like they were plugged in and detected by windows for the first time. Same thing would happen when trying to overclock my CPU too high. Able to alt/tab out and kill the benchmark just fine though.

It also runs 'great' at 8k-12k extreme resolution 16:9 at 1fps on average taking up 9gigs of vram soooooooo
?

EDIT:

Just plugged my system specs into a wattage/power draw calculator from Coolermaster here.

This thing claims under absolute worst overclock full load conditions my system could be requiring around 580-630 watts which is not all that much headroom for a 750 watt supply.

Im not saying thats not what you need to fix the situation but that power requirement is definitely ~600 watts max with fairly huge overhead (% wise). My max overclocked 8600k + 1080ti uses 330 watts from the wall under full load and I've been running similar TDP cards with a 500 watt PSU with room to spare for years. That PSU (assuming its good) will run a whole extra 1080ti

edit: oh hey maybe I missed this but Nvidia has explicitly stated what portion of GPUs were buttmining cards. Im not surehow they can be completely sure about that number but its the first real number ive ever seen

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-is-expecting-a-massive-drop-in-gpu-sales-to-cryptocurrency-miners/

I wonder if GPUs report use data.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 14, 2018

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Avalanche posted:

Or at least a newer one, especially if you think you're having problems out of it. Peace of mind and all that.

Also, I realized I had a Corsair RM850. *brainfart*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Or at least a newer one, especially if you think you're having problems out of it. Peace of mind and all that.

This is why I went totally overboard with a platinum 1400 psu — I never ever wanted to worry that power was an issue.