Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
It comes up a lot if you happen to be stuck around the kind of people that care about HP houses. My default answer is "Hufflepuff-puff-pass, yo" which usually gets a snicker and more importantly a change of subject

fe: a terrible snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Subjunctive posted:

It used to be a prank around the HR dept at my last company that if someone left their computer unlocked, a colleague would set their autoresponder to say they were on M-B training.

:lol:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Zereth posted:

Bitcoins aren't worth anything unless there's suckers buying in.

Bitcoin is dumb as poo poo but what people who predict it's death always fail to account for the most important part of the equation, drugs. Anything that lets people get an eightball of coke for half street price is gonna be around for a while.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Have some homegrown:

Cingulate posted:

I obviously couldn't not do this ...

Bottom is log scale.

Cingulate posted:

Annnnd as a histogram, per decade:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spoeank posted:

Are you telling us that people have asked you enough times to (1) develop a snarky retort and (2) you have done this retort multiple times? Because you need a new social circle my dude or dudette

Sure thing, fellow poster on a dead, gay forum.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"House Lannister"

"House Stewart"

"Animal House"

Similarly, if people ask me what's my sign, I say "a bad one".

Dr. House :colbert:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

House Warming

House Hold

Round House

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Foglet posted:

House Warming

House Hold

Round House

On topic: this graph is funny to me because it has Sizzler and two different restaurants with roadhouse in the name :colbert:

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/762038953721597953

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Uh, I'm not sure your graph actually shows what you say it shows BBC

Or am I just dumb

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

Or am I just dumb

Inflation?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Fathis Munk posted:

It's comes from people trying to use ready made idioms without thinking what they actually mean. See also "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". The whole point is that you care so little it's impossible to care less!

Also while introvert has become real dumb, the worst is "ambivert", to describe those special people that are sometimes introverts and sometimes extroverts.

I say "I could care less" but I understand exactly what it means and say it anyway. It's like "I could care less, but that would take more effort than just caring a tiny little bit because I'd have to start actively looking for reasons to not care instead of just being ambivalent and 'meh' about it."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Aleph Null posted:

I say "I could care less" but I understand exactly what it means and say it anyway. It's like "I could care less, but that would take more effort than just caring a tiny little bit because I'd have to start actively looking for reasons to not care instead of just being ambivalent and 'meh' about it."

You're wrong imo.

lord funk posted:

Inflation?

Hmm maybe, but in that case that is a real dumb way of presenting the data.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

lord funk posted:

Inflation?

Nope, real value is inflation adjusted.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Fathis Munk posted:

Or am I just dumb

Looks like it's trying to say that Millennials (green) earn the same or less than their Gen X (red) counterparts did at the same age in real pounds. It's showing a like for like comparison in income. Gen X in turn earned more than the previous generation of Baby Boomers (blue) did in real pounds, showing that the trend of each generation being better off than the one before it is not holding true.

I can't tell if the real pounds are adjusted just for inflation and therefore don't include purchasing power or if that's taken into account in their numbers.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Fathis Munk posted:

You're wrong imo.

INFP

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Should have answered "I could care less" imo, weak.

shalcar posted:

Looks like it's trying to say that Millennials (green) earn the same or less than their Gen X (red) counterparts did at the same age in real pounds. It's showing a like for like comparison in income. Gen X in turn earned more than the previous generation of Baby Boomers (blue) did in real pounds, showing that the trend of each generation being better off than the one before it is not holding true.

But it's explicitly trying to say that they earn less. Maybe their definition of young is <20 yo, but that would be kinda weird too.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Jerk" is my love language.

So you love at home then OP

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fathis Munk posted:

Should have answered "I could care less" imo, weak.

But it's explicitly trying to say that they earn less. Maybe their definition of young is <20 yo, but that would be kinda weird too.
The context is that the UK gov want to tax the old and give the young a 10k payout to use for whatever (downpayment, education or startup).
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44029808

I was looking at those graphs for a some time too and couldn't figure out how they are supposed to support the premise, but it's not the problem of the chart itself, it's perfectly sensible and clear.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Fathis Munk posted:

But they are earning less in the 16-20 and 25 to current eldest Millenial. Overall they earn less, even if at points they earn an equal or marginally higher amount. It's a couple of percentage points less at most, but it's still less. They call them "young people" in the graph because the group they are discussing is capped out at 29 years of age which is young in BBC readership terms. It's discussing the entire green line, not a subset of it. The trend demonstrated seems pretty reasonable.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zereth posted:

Bitcoins aren't worth anything unless there's suckers buying in.

A sucker is born every minute (not in Bulgaria, though)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Miscellaneous means stoner. Hufflepuff is the stoner kid house.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I want to ask Angela Lansbury about Hufferin.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Powered Descent posted:

I want to ask Angela Lansbury about Hufferin.
Ask your doctor about Hufferin today.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Bitcoin is dumb as poo poo but what people who predict it's death always fail to account for the most important part of the equation, drugs. Anything that lets people get an eightball of coke for half street price is gonna be around for a while.
Yes, but then the drug dealer needs to turn the bitcoin into money they can use for other things, which, again, requires somebody to buy in.

Also I'm not sure how people decided a currency which keeps a log of every transaction ever made with the currency is good for illegal poo poo like buying drugs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zereth posted:

Also I'm not sure how people decided a currency which keeps a log of every transaction ever made with the currency is good for illegal poo poo like buying drugs.

Well you see, unlike a bank, there's no one in charge of it to kick them out when they start doing stupid illegal things, so merrily onward they go.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Yes, but then the drug dealer needs to turn the bitcoin into money they can use for other things, which, again, requires somebody to buy in.

I think that all it tracks is what wallets the stuff has been through rather than people. Real bank accounts with real money have paper trails that lead to people, hence the holding company shell games and money laundering people get up to. Somebody, somewhere has a name attached to it if you dig enough. Cash has finger prints and little traces of who touched it. There are also shenanigans law enforcement gets up to with serial numbers.

I think one reason criminals like butt coins is because you can trade it around numbered wallets without paper trails or finger prints identifying the owner easily. No government controls it so you can manipulate it to hell and back too. Granted I could also be wrong about the easy anonymity. It tracks the history of transactions but I think you can anonymize the wallets. I've never owned a butt coin and don't care to so I'm not exactly an expert but illegal activity is apparently like a tenth of all transactions of the things. Every time news of a dark web bust comes out butt coins get mentioned.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ask your doctor about Hufferin today.

We regret to inform you your child has been born with Congenital Slytherpuff

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Slytherpuff sounds like a snack food made from rattlesnake meat.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Every day I'm Hufferin.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ultrafilter posted:

Every day I'm Hufferin.

This one is the best, but I'd like to throw in "lobster slytherdor" just to round out the pack a bit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CannonFodder posted:

And their common room is right next to the kitchen.

Hufflepuff best house.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

So the misanthropic goth kids are extroverted and the loveable duffers are the introverts? I denounce this Potter related graphic.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jaguars! posted:

So the misanthropic goth kids are extroverted and the loveable duffers are the introverts? I denounce this Potter related graphic.

In as much as everything on that chart is bullshit, it makes sense. Slytherin is cliquish, and its members need people in order to crush people, whereas hufflepuff is all about being one with nature and DMT and tie dyed robes.

As a Ravenclaw, I'm better at understanding these things. :smug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CannonFodder posted:

It came as no surprise to me, when reading the series, that the head of Hufflepuff was the professor in charge of plants and all the greenhouses.

I mean, if you could do all that magic poo poo, you'd spend your days doped out of your loving gourd, too.

More like H.R. HufflePufnstuf, am I right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As seen in YOSPOS:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Why the sharp drop in Alexa ranking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

goose willis posted:

Why the sharp drop in Alexa ranking

Amazon