Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Panfilo posted:

For anyone that uses [gasp!] formula, I highly recommend the Baby Brezza. It makes those middle of the night feedings so much easier, because you can make a bottle really fast. If you are frequently getting up during the night it will save you prep time.

Is there a way to measure the dispensed powder from the machine? I think it sounds very convenient but it would be a nightmare to find out that the machine was measuring light. We currently use a kettle + saucepan to heat our bottles. It can take a while, but we are only supplementing now. We plan on transitioning to full formula soon so the Baby Brezza sounds promising apart from the price tag. We currently plan to use Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher to store our formula and continue with our kettle heating method.

Does anyone use the pre-mixed formula? Seems like it could be more convenient, though I have to check how expensive it is per serving compared to the pure powder. My wife is hesitant to use pre-mixed because she thinks there would be extra preservatives in it to make it last in liquid form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Brezza sounds cool for first time parents in the first month of the kid's life. But yeah I just used a $10 warmer off Amazon and shake the formula manually. It's like 10 seconds of shaking and 2-3 minutes of warming.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

laxbro posted:

Does anyone use the pre-mixed formula? Seems like it could be more convenient, though I have to check how expensive it is per serving compared to the pure powder. My wife is hesitant to use pre-mixed because she thinks there would be extra preservatives in it to make it last in liquid form.

I don't know which has more preservatives, but why does it matter at all if that is the case?

(Also fun fact you are supposed to boil the water and mix the formula in boiling water if you use the dry stuff due to a risk of bacteria in the powered stuff. It's a very small risk but pretty serious if the bacteria is found in your can. The premixed stuff doesn't have that risk. It's nothing to do with water safety, and everything to do with the risk in the formula itself).

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

sheri posted:

I didn't do any sleep training and my kid is an excellent sleeper now.

He was a really lovely sleeper as an infant but we just rolled with it and everything is cool now.

It's all so dependent on each kid and personality, there really isn't a one size fits most approach.

Same here. We were (still are) philosophically against sleep training (not in a judgmental way, it’s just not for us if we can help it). My oldest was a lovely sleeper when he was a baby, but then he became awesome. He’s 2 and half and never ever calls us during the night unless he’s really sick, falls asleep alone, yada yada. He’s been like that for a long time now, but it took a while getting there.

The twins are 7 months old and they are not great yet, but have been constantly sick for the past 4 months. When they are not they seem to be doing great.

We do have a precise nighttime routine, quite a few rules we live by and won’t give in to demands (you never get more water, never get another song, etc.). But we always come if you call no matter what. We won’t stay long, we won’t say much, but we’ll come.

I’m sure our method could be the worst thing ever for another kid or other parents, but so far it gave us amazing results. Im really happy we found a way that works for us and our values. It was really insanely hard with our first, but we feel like it paid off and I feel like we wouldn’t have had as great results overall if we did something different.

But in the end I know plenty of kids that were sleep trained that are great sleepers and plenty that are not. Just like I know plenty that are more attachment parenting style that have good or bad sleepers. Both options are viable (or anything in between really) and both can work or not depending on how you do it, how your kid responds to it, etc. I think what is important in the end is doing what feels right to you.

Do what keeps you sane and happy. You won’t break your baby either way.

quote:

omg formulae

We had to use formula with the twins and we found that concentrated liquids were the best. Premixed is nice but stupid expensive for anything other than emergencies and convenience if you go somewhere and can’t keep milk cold/mix/warm it up easily.

Concentrated liquid is more expensive than powder, but really not that much and we think it’s way easier and simpler to use. We do have twins though so we really really enjoy any ounce of convenience we can get.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 12, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

laxbro posted:

Is there a way to measure the dispensed powder from the machine? I think it sounds very convenient but it would be a nightmare to find out that the machine was measuring light. We currently use a kettle + saucepan to heat our bottles. It can take a while, but we are only supplementing now. We plan on transitioning to full formula soon so the Baby Brezza sounds promising apart from the price tag. We currently plan to use Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher to store our formula and continue with our kettle heating method.

The baby Brezza has an adjustable opening you can set depending on formula brand/variety,and the machine dispenses 2-12oz at a time.

I like it because when you get woken up at 2am the faster you can make a bottle the sooner you can get back to sleep after. I'm lazy and the idea of shuffling into the kitchen to heat up water on the stove (why not just the microwave?) is too many steps. But I'm spoiled.

We use Costco Kirkland formula which is pretty reasonable in price. When on the go we pre measure out the powder in several bottles and bring a thermos of hot water.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Can’t you just make enough bottles for the night and leave them in the fridge? This way you only have to put them in the microwave for 30secs or so. That’s what we’ve been doing it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You supposedly shouldn’t be microwaving milk or formula due to uneven heat and molecular breakdown.

When we were bottle feeding I’d heat the water in the microwave then mix the formula.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
The Baby Brezza was a lifesaver for us. We kept it upstairs in the hall by his room and it was so, so worth it to only have to press one button in our months of sleep deprivation. I can understand why some parents don't bother, but our son hardly slept for his first year, the kitchen was down two flights of stairs and I was still pumping breast milk every 4 hours, so I wanted to save all the time and brain I could.

We have a little girl due the end of July and if we end up formula feeding I am 100% using the Brezza again, even if it means buying a new one. I'm not sure if I trust being able to clean it all out after a few years of storage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah don't be like me and dust it off, promptly ignore the warnings on the powder hopper and try and sterilize everything in boiling ways for 5 minutes. The heat warped the hopper and rendered it unusable,and I ended up buying a replacement baby Brezza. Fortunately the first one had been given to us free, and I kept the functional bits to cannibalize for parts if need be. It's also convenient to have two sets of funnel assembly since you're supposed to clean them every 4 bottles.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

The Fool posted:

You supposedly shouldn’t be microwaving milk or formula due to uneven heat and molecular breakdown.

When we were bottle feeding I’d heat the water in the microwave then mix the formula.

AFAIK, the only part that is true about that is uneven heat. This is why they tell you never to microwave it. Because people tend to burn their baby since the milk can seem fine when you take it out, but actually be too hot. So it’s the right recommendation to give to population as a whole. If you’re careful though, I fail to see why you shouldn’t use a microwave.

Heat it, Take it out, shake your bottle adequately, test temp, wait 30 secs (it can get hotter for a little bit after it’s out) and shake it again, test temp before putting the bottle in your babies mouth and you’re set.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 12, 2018

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our kid never cared about drinking warm formula. We'd keep his bottle with water and a pre measured smaller thing of formula next to it. Dump, shake, good to go.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Yeah, i think for his first 3 months we kept filtered water on the shelf and mixed formula from that. After that we mixed a pitcher and kept it in the fridge. There was no problem switching him to milk after he turned 1.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Our kiddo is 4 months and she really seems to prefer cold formula over warm, so we just got this mixing pitcher for the formula (https://smile.amazon.com/Munchkin-S...+mixing+pitcher), mix up a whole batch before bedtime, and stick it in a little dorm fridge in the baby's room. When she wakes up, we just grab a clean bottle and pour in however much we want. The formula's good for up to 24 hours after mixing if kept refrigerated.

I'll have to ask my wife about using boiling water when preparing it, though; we've never heard that before.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Similac's website says to boil the water for 1 minute and let it cool to room temperature before adding the powder. CDC says to add the powder to boiling water. So I'm not sure which to follow.

We haven't been doing either just using the filtered water from our fridge so far. I'm going to make a pitcher tomorrow morning before work usingn similac's instructions. We are on city water in our apartment so Im not sure if we would need to use bottled water.

grenada fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 14, 2018

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

it's not problems with water, it's bacteria in the formula itself that you are trying to kill by boiling the water.

So prob whatever water is fine unless your municpal water supply has safety concerns.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Huh. I had heard that bacteria can sometimes grow in the sink plumbing and they advise to let the water run for a few seconds before using it in formula for babies under 2 months. We always used distilled water, splash in part due to the idea that there wouldn't be mineral deposits building up in the baby Brezza.

Also happy belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there. You do a helluva job.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

We feed exclusively formula because my wife is unable to breast feed and we mix up 36-oz batches in a pitcher each day. We boil the water and let it cool some before putting the formula in there. The idea is to kill the bacteria that might be in the powered formula.

In other news, this has come true

Dr. Chaco posted:

Whatever awful stage kiddo is going through, it will change in a week. It may not be better, per se, but it will definitely be different.

Too bad this applies to the good phases too.

and he's taking daytime naps again!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
If it's meant to kill the bacteria in the formula then you'd boil after mixing right? Seems like unless the formula itself comes to a boil then just putting it in hot water wouldn't guarantee anything.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea I find it confusing. Similac's online instructions make it sound like boiling water is optional based on your doctor's advice, and it also says to let the boiled water cool to room temperature before mixing since boiling the formula can reduce its nutritional value:

quote:

Ask your baby's doctor if you should boil water when preparing formula, and whether or not you need to boil utensils, bottles, nipples, and rings in water before each use. If you choose to boil, follow these steps:

1. Bring water to a rolling boil for one minute, then turn off the heat. Excessive boiling can increase the concentration of impurities.
2. Let the water cool to room temperature before adding to formula. Making formula with boiling water can cause clumping and decrease the nutritional value.
3. Once mixed, sprinkle a few drops on the inside of your wrist to make sure it is not too hot.

Note: Bottled or filtered water is not a suitable replacement for water that has been boiled, but it might be a better alternative to tap water in some areas. If you are concerned about lead or other harmful substances in your water, talk to your healthcare professional before making formula with tap water.

Something to ask our pediatrician about during our next visit.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006
The NICU nurses told me to boil the water and then let it cool for formula. My impression was it was an added level of safety. We’d boil water let it cool, and then make bottles. Once baby got a bit older I started using bottled, then eventually straight tap.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Postpartum RN here. New guidelines from WHO say to boil water for formula preparation. It's not necessarily because of what could be in the water, but more about rates of bacteria found in the formula powder itself. It seems incredibly inconvenient, though.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Did you actually read the guidelines from the WHO? Because it doesn't say boiling. It says 158 degrees Fahrenheit. That's a pretty big difference since it would take awhile to wait for water to cool from boiling. And the infection rate of the bacteria they are discussing is something like 4-6 cases a year in the States, so yeah may as well be non-existent.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I still feel like I'm really missing something. If you don't boil the formula... Or if you let the water cool before adding formula. How would that guarantee killing bacteria in the formula?

Or am I just thinking too binary? And maybe it's that whatever commonly found in formula is killed by just really hot non-boiling water.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Yeah, it seems like unless the formula was boiled, it wouldn't necessarily kill everything. I've never heard of that before either. Its either super new guidelines or just a new semi-true rumor designed to guilt and strike fear into new parents that they're going to kill their baby. Yeah, it seems like unless the formula was boiled, it wouldn't necessarily kill everything. I've never heard of that before either. Its either super new guidelines or just a new semi-true rumor designed to guilt and strike fear into new parents that they're going to kill their baby.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I guess there is a specific bacteria that has been found in formula that can't survive above ~158° F

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

I guess there is a specific bacteria that has been found in formula that can't survive above ~158° F

I mean, compared to the meat guidelines of 165 for an instant or 150 for 90 seconds, that seems pretty much inline with foodborne illnesses.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ben Nevis posted:

I mean, compared to the meat guidelines of 165 for an instant or 150 for 90 seconds, that seems pretty much inline with foodborne illnesses.

Yeah I think I was just thinking too broadly. Like boil water alerts which is basically "man we don't know WHAT the gently caress could be in there... just boil it to be safe!"

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

I emailed my best friend who is a pediatrician (not that they know all). She said current guidelines + justification are:

“Bring water (bottled or tap) to rolling boil to sanitize the water. You may be able to find out from your local water department or pediatrician if bringing to a full boil is necessary. Only boil for 1 minute because otherwise you’ll concentrate impurities in the water.

Let water cool to slightly above 158F, no longer than 30 minutes. You let the water cool because adding boiling water is more likely to make the formula clump, and because some formulas have ingredients that the manufacturers say will be altered by boiling water (but check the directions on your formula). The water needs to be above 158F to kill Cronobacter (the bacteria that could be in the formula powder). I don’t know the data behind the 30 minute recommendation; it’s probably just to make sure parents don’t leave the water sitting around so it loses sterility and gets too cold.

Let the bottle cool further to the temperature your baby enjoys and serve.”

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I am the worst parent, apparently. I raised 3 kids on tap water and formula.

Those guidelines are nuts, no wonder new parents freak out over everything.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

I am the worst parent, apparently. I raised 3 kids on tap water and formula.

Those guidelines are nuts, no wonder new parents freak out over everything.

With our third I used half just boiled water with tap water to cool it down.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Even when we were in 'super afraid of everything first baby mode' the pediatrician we were with said that boiling is only needed if your child has specific immuno-deficiencies. We only formula fed for the first month though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

We visited a zoo with our 11 month old. I thought it was pretty interesting, from a developmental perspective, that although she was very interested in anything with four legs, everything else (birds, seals) didn't register with her at all. I spent a while pointing at seals, but I might as well have been pointing at floating rocks for all she cared.

Also, I envied a nursing sow. She had like ten piglets, who were scrambling over each other to nurse, actively fighting their siblings to feed. Meanwhile, the infant homo sapiens will actively resist it's parent's attempts to fulfill basic bodily needs like feeding and sleeping. I really wonder if any other species has young that even come close to being such colossally stupid, self-destructive morons. A baby pig abandoned by it's parents would eventually starve, a baby human would be dead within minutes from repeatedly headbutting a rock whilst getting progressively angrier at the rock and headbutting with ever more vigor.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Geisladisk posted:

We visited a zoo with our 11 month old. I thought it was pretty interesting, from a developmental perspective, that although she was very interested in anything with four legs, everything else (birds, seals) didn't register with her at all. I spent a while pointing at seals, but I might as well have been pointing at floating rocks for all she cared.

Also, I envied a nursing sow. She had like ten piglets, who were scrambling over each other to nurse, actively fighting their siblings to feed. Meanwhile, the infant homo sapiens will actively resist it's parent's attempts to fulfill basic bodily needs like feeding and sleeping. I really wonder if any other species has young that even come close to being such colossally stupid, self-destructive morons. A baby pig abandoned by it's parents would eventually starve, a baby human would be dead within minutes from repeatedly headbutting a rock whilst getting progressively angrier at the rock and headbutting with ever more vigor.

At least she was interested in some animals. Whenever we go to the zoo, our 2.5yo daughter just wants to climb on all the decorative boulders or play in the mulch beds. She actively ignores the fact that animals even exist. (We aren't renewing our membership this year and will just be frequenting parks more until she shows an interest in animals again.)

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Geisladisk posted:

‘Give me milk give me milk WHERES THE NIPPLE AHHHH’

The nipple has been in your mouth the whole time.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

At least she was interested in some animals. Whenever we go to the zoo, our 2.5yo daughter just wants to climb on all the decorative boulders or play in the mulch beds. She actively ignores the fact that animals even exist. (We aren't renewing our membership this year and will just be frequenting parks more until she shows an interest in animals again.)

We've been living with my parents for the past couple of months while we refurbish our apartment, and they have a dog, which she absolutely adores - Probably because the dog is the only person in the household that almost completely ignores her and only rarely shows her any affection at all. I'd guess that is why she was so interested in the four legged animals - Cows are just big dogs to her. :shobon:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Humans are born earlier than almost every mammal if I recall. Has to do with that massive head growth in the first year. They are pretty dumb in the first year compared to every other animal.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Meanwhile I'm like why do I have to go through gruesome childbirth if a panda can just sneeze and shoot out a baby that's only the size of a stick of butter?
(I know pandas are complete evolutionary failures)

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
When our daughter was a baby I would often try to picture what life would have been like for a caveperson trying to keep themselves and their infant alive, and I just couldn't. Sometimes it felt like she wasn't just trying to kill herself, she was also trying to kill ME. Not even in a PPD way, but like what is the evolutionary advantage of actively trying to keep me from eating or sleeping??

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
If you don't have time for eating and sleeping, you also don't have time to make another baby, who would compete with the current one for resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Public Serpent posted:

When our daughter was a baby I would often try to picture what life would have been like for a caveperson trying to keep themselves and their infant alive, and I just couldn't.

Yeah, I've given this a bit of thought, too. Our daughter was very lethargic when she was born, and just wouldn't drink. We had to spend the first couple of weeks feeding her by giving her formula through a feeding tube. I'm pretty sure that without access to formula and medical professionals, she'd just have died.

Even having access to the entire constellation of modern medical professionals helping us out, and with access to food and shelter being basically trivial, raising a baby is really, really hard. I can't imagine having to do it as a pre-civilization hunter-gatherer, with the wise old grandma in the tribe (who is probably in her forties) being the only medical authority.

Modern civilization is pretty good, guys.