Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Warbird posted:

Is this a hot hatch?

Set it on fire.

There you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
FoSTs are deep discounted right now.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wrar posted:

FoSTs are deep discounted right now.

So are FiSTs. Left over 17s are being LISTED under 17k, and 18s are hovering around 19.

It's very tempting. But the last one I looked at, a 17, was infested with ants.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Christobevii3 posted:

Wouldn't the LSD make it pull straighter?

Wouldn’t it pull in the direction the wheels are points thus rotating mid corner? idk I can tell you there was a massive difference between my butt feel at Watkins Glen the first time in a 2016 RS and the second time in a 2018 RS but a lot of that could be I was hauling rear end the second time. 11 seconds faster so I guess I was putting my foot in it a lot more and that could just be how an RS rotates regularly.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I assume the RS with a diff is less likely to understeer on power during corner exit. Sound right?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I have a ‘17 RS, and granted I have not driven an ‘18 or one with an aftermarket LSD, but understeer has never been and issue for me. The RS will get its rear end out whenever you want it to if you turn off the traction control and with some judicious use of the go pedal.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
So I did finally get to go try out both a FiST and FoST at the dealership on Tuesday. Man was it a lot of fun, definitely preferred the FoST of the two after driving (where as I initially preferred just sitting in the FiST over the FoST). It's always a nice sign when you're doing a test drive and the guy from the dealership sitting beside you tells you to bring it up just shy of redline if you want. Also for those that have driven both, did you notice a significant difference in clutch feel between the two? As after driving both back to back, I definitely noticed a big difference in how the clutch felt.

Now I have to do some searching and talking with my better half to determine my final budget, as I have seen some used 2015's and 2016's for somewhere in the range of 10k less than a new one. In particular a 2016 will have everything I could want as Sync 3 is very nice w/ Android Auto and still have some warranty left on it. Which really doesn't give me a big incentive to go brand new.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I paid close to $13k for a 2015 FiST with under 20k miles on it from a dealer in December, as an idea

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

I paid close to $13k for a 2015 FiST with under 20k miles on it from a dealer in December, as an idea

Until I saw it was infested with ants I had deal inked for a 17 with 23 miles on it for 15.3 about 2 months ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How does that happen?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It's just one of those things that happens in the South. I've had it happen to me once or twice and I never have food in my car...generally if it rains a lot ants will start looking for a new place to live.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

iwentdoodie posted:

Until I saw it was infested with ants I had deal inked for a 17 with 23 miles on it for 15.3 about 2 months ago.

If that was OTD that is a pretty insane price

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheWevel posted:

It's just one of those things that happens in the South. I've had it happen to me once or twice and I never have food in my car...generally if it rains a lot ants will start looking for a new place to live.

I'm just curious, not unbelieving. Mazda had spider-infested 6's a few years ago.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
I always have to remind myself that most of you guys live in 'Murica and convert those prices from USD to Canadian Pesos. The cheapest new 17 FoST listed around here is at the equivalent to $23k USD + taxes/fees, but again that's listed price, not what you might be able to get it for.

I also have to convert your crazy miles to the unit of measure the rest of the world uses :)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

If that was OTD that is a pretty insane price

Yeah that was OTD. I haven't looked again since, but that wasn't even an odd deal from what I saw. Almost every 17 was listed under 18k.

Edit: looking now, most are listed around 17. So 16.5 OTD probably doable, if not less, if you're willing to be a dick.

Edit dos: http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1cae6a4c

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 10, 2018

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TheWevel posted:

Can confirm. My e46 had a slight leak so it was super humid inside, ants from work decided to take up residence. :shobon:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Veloster with LSD just meant I could put power down easier but didn't change turning much just power could go in earlier.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
has anyone with a FiST experienced any frequent clutch chatter noise when the clutch is disengaged (ie. idling at red light, in gear, clutch in) while under warranty? drivability wise everything feels fine, its just the annoying sound similar to a failing throw-out bearing (or a dry clutch Ducati if ur hearing it from outside the car while idling) and seems to have gotten worse over winter - though based upon what I've read in the past it seems like a common complaint (and also iirc it's usually not the TOB at fault).

currently @ about 34k miles so warranty is still active, im mostly curious about how much parochial bullshit and hoops u had to go through w/ the dealer and what the end result was so i can plan my approach w/ minimal stress and time wasted as this is also the same dealer who repeatedly warned me that my rear brakes were almost metal on metal when they were really just full of poo poo (they were down to 3mm when i finally replaced them myself a year and a half later. so yeah).

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
You.

The word is you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have the chattering noise when leaving from a stop or changing gears, though I can generally only hear it if I've got the windows down and there are walls next to the car or if I have the windows up, no air blowing, etc. I'd be curious to hear if you get poo poo replaced, I might try my luck, even though it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have not heard this noise.

granted im still well under 10k and i baby the clutch because i hate replacing clutches.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Track driving makes the mpg counter say some funny things:

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
How is your gas light on at that much fuel?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Korbin posted:

How is your gas light on at that much fuel?

I wonder if it’s smart enough to take your burn rate into account?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It looks like a Fiesta, the light comes on when it calculates 50 miles to empty (at least my Focus does). If you spent the rest of the tank at 10mpg, it would be less than 50 miles til empty.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

It looks like a Fiesta, the light comes on when it calculates 50 miles to empty (at least my Focus does). If you spent the rest of the tank at 10mpg, it would be less than 50 miles til empty.

Bingo :haw:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Does the fiesta st have a dual mass flywheel? The one on my veloster was starting to fail so the springs weren't doing anything and flywheel was just banging back and forth.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Does the fiesta st have a dual mass flywheel? The one on my veloster was starting to fail so the springs weren't doing anything and flywheel was just banging back and forth.

It does.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mystery clutch noise solved

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I know on some other forums a while ago there was talk of a TSB being written up for the post shift 1-2-3 clunks, anyone know if that's been done yet?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~totally tubular~

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ceramic coat that octopus, you heathen

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Ceramic coat that octopus, you heathen

Hell naw

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I should consider getting that ducting installed.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Are the piston gaskets not burnt up yet?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Are the piston gaskets not burnt up yet?

Nope seem fine. Just roasting the pads and caliper where it touches the pads.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Christobevii3 posted:

Ah yes, as already said, it does - and I believe something similar to what you described is the same problem on the FiST (as opposed to the throw-out bearing) based on what I've read in the past...so hopefully getting to such a conclusion doesn't require a few hours of diag time out of pocket as I'm obviously expecting some resistance with the Ford dealer as opposed to if I was having the same issue on a manual BMW under warranty. Also I think they might also prorate their coverage depending on what it falls under so I should probably check the warranty supplement as well to see if I could be stuck w/ some of the cost per current mileage - but all and all if I can parlay this minor annoyance into getting a new clutch compliments of FoMoCo as a parting gift that would be super.

BlackMK4 posted:

Mystery clutch noise solved

Wait, do you mean it is common and to be expected at times?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've never had a DMF be silent all the time

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Guys, hey, guysguysguys can I play too? Hey!

(Please ignore the almost literal shithole that I get to park in, I have not had time to take a proper photo yet.)

I bought this off my dad today, he's made a minor upgrade to a Spec-B Legacy.

It's a Renaultsport Twingo 133, and its basically like driving an excitable puppy. It's not big and powerful enough to actually play properly, but it's bouncy, growls when provoked, turns on a dime and really wants to join in anyway.

Thanks to Renault's ever-logical system it's a standard 133 Sport but with the Cup chassis, which means it has the firmer, lower Cup suspension but also keeps all the nice quality of life bits like A/C and a sunroof. Not to be confused with the 133 Cup, which is the stripper track-day special model.

I loving love it, it's so fun to throw at some twisty corners. The grip is tenacious, and you can almost feel the car shouting "wheeeeeee" as you chuck it around. It's the closest thing to "go-kart with seatbelts" that I've experienced besides a classic Mini. There's no power, but it probably weighs <2,400lbs with a full tank of fuel so it doesn't even matter. It's hilarious. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
That’s a dope little car. Love it, always like to see the Euro stuff in this thread.