Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

mobby_6kl posted:

Got it, thanks. Yeah it does seem gimmicky but I wanted to double check. Another question - are the synthetic clay bar substitutes any good? That looks like a good idea if they do what they're supposed to and are reusable.

They should be good. I haven't actually tried one yet. The only tip I can give is to try to find any sort of review of it. Preferably one where they try to check for abrasion on the paint after use. But once my Bilt Hamber clay (amazing) runs out, I'll be looking into getting a synthetic one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=197_Hu3c22I

Probably this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
On the black rubber trim on my roof between the a/b/c-pillars and the rest of the metal roof it looks like the rubber has oxidized due to sap or something. Same thing on my truck. Are there any products or ways to remove it? I'll post a picture later.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

There's a multitude of "back to black" products that range from plastic conditioners to black dyed gel.

The conditioner products worked ok ish for me, I've had better results using the stuff with the dye on it, like Bondo/3M back to black.

I've heard good things about wipenew but haven't tried it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
303 Aerospace Protectant is amazing for treating and restoring rubber. Stuff like Gtechniq Trim Restorer are supposed to be great as well for plastics. I used 303 to restore my rubber floormats. Came out as new, and weren't slippery neither.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Washed my car this morning and man that synthetic clay was amazing. The fact I can use car wash as lube was great, and it goes so much faster I don't stop midway through cause I'm freaking out on how many hours I have left on my day off.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It's a long shot but if anyone happens to be in straya and finds synthetic clay let me know. Nothing came up with a google search except USA options involving $30 postage.
I've gone through my old clay bars and looking for an alternative right now. Because the paint on my car is pretty thin I can't compound or machine polish it much, so I need to use a clay bar so it still looks ok with light work and sealant.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Fo3 posted:

It's a long shot but if anyone happens to be in straya and finds synthetic clay let me know. Nothing came up with a google search except USA options involving $30 postage.
I've gone through my old clay bars and looking for an alternative right now. Because the paint on my car is pretty thin I can't compound or machine polish it much, so I need to use a clay bar so it still looks ok with light work and sealant.

I saw some at a Supercheap before I knew synthetic clays were a thing so I told my mate whose car we were about to detail not to buy it. I don’t think it was a special brand, it might have been their SCA brand.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Thanks, I'll check in store, but I searched their site before my post and didn't find it. If autoglym, meguires, mothers or bowdens make one they'll have it or get on in maybe, but that's the only brands they stock besides old cheap stuff under their own sca brand (I would be suprised if they have sca synth clay when they don't sell sca reg clay)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Thanks, I'll check in store, but I searched their site before my post and didn't find it. If autoglym, meguires, mothers or bowdens make one they'll have it or get on in maybe, but that's the only brands they stock besides old cheap stuff under their own sca brand (I would be suprised if they have sca synth clay when they don't sell sca reg clay)

Yeah, I can’t remember for sure what brand it was but I’m after one too now after seeing the accounts here of how well they work, so let me
know if you find one!

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

Fo3 posted:

Every Supercheap or Autobarn I've ever been in have the Bowden's Own clay towels. Make sure you get the "Fine" grade.

Bowden's Own definitely goes for a very 'bogan' branding aesthetic, but that is completely separate from the quality of their products, which are frankly consistently great.

Other than that, Waxit sells clay towels / mitts / pads.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Well, it wasn't rain this time. What should I keep in my trunk for when the weather decides to have crazy winds that completely coat my car in dust?

And I was so happy with how I got it looking yesterday :shepface:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Leal posted:

Well, it wasn't rain this time. What should I keep in my trunk for when the weather decides to have crazy winds that completely coat my car in dust?

And I was so happy with how I got it looking yesterday :shepface:

California duster?

https://www.autogeek.net/caldus.html

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Well don't I just feel silly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crescendo posted:

Bowden's Own definitely goes for a very 'bogan' branding aesthetic
Well, now we need to see pictures. I'm thinking a girl with still-red tattoos and borderline infected piercings, laying on the bonnet of a 3800 VY Commodore.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My lovely $20 home depot orbital buffer finally died so I sucked it up and got a 6" Griots. Now to find all the things I can waste money on to make my car shinier.

:homebrew:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Only if you want swirls and scratches.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

InitialDave posted:

Well, now we need to see pictures. I'm thinking a girl with still-red tattoos and borderline infected piercings, laying on the bonnet of a 3800 VY Commodore.

Ahh, maybe I oversold it a little bit, but the bogan-ness is more in the name of some of their products and how they describe them, not so much the graphics.

For example, their snow foam is called "Snow Job", the bug remover is called "Bugger Off", the deodorizer is called "Pong-Go", a chamois is called the "Little Ripper Chamois", a really plush buffing microfiber is called "The Drop Bear" (made of drop bear pelts), a black plastic wheel brush is called "The Little Chubby", etc.

And all their bottles have a "Tested on Animals" seal of quality sticker on them -- the animals being the Toranas and SS Utes and BA Falcons of course!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
They don't happen to also make Start Ya Bastard, do they?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

They don't happen to also make Start Ya Bastard, do they?

Nah, that's Nulon.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Long day today. I didn’t even end up putting coatings on. Between hunting water spots and removing clear bra glue, I’m spent.

Goo Gone worked well once I let it sit on the glue for a couple minutes under a microfiber.

CarPro Spotless was hit or miss. Some of the spots came up easy, mostly on the paint. Glass and trim were murder.

Going to let the car sit in the garage tonight, and attack more tomorrow after work.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Detailing IRL is nothing like the nicely organized and clean cut videos on YouTube. It's loving hard work.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Only if you want swirls and scratches.

Hasn't ever been a problem on my black car? I get the fear but they're actually good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crescendo posted:

Ahh, maybe I oversold it a little bit, but the bogan-ness is more in the name of some of their products and how they describe them, not so much the graphics.

For example, their snow foam is called "Snow Job", the bug remover is called "Bugger Off", the deodorizer is called "Pong-Go", a chamois is called the "Little Ripper Chamois", a really plush buffing microfiber is called "The Drop Bear" (made of drop bear pelts), a black plastic wheel brush is called "The Little Chubby", etc.

And all their bottles have a "Tested on Animals" seal of quality sticker on them -- the animals being the Toranas and SS Utes and BA Falcons of course!
Kind of similar to Dodo Juice stuff. The DA polisher is Buff Daddy, there's an E.T. Foam Home foam kit, Born to be Mild polish, etc.

MrOnBicycle posted:

They should be good. I haven't actually tried one yet. The only tip I can give is to try to find any sort of review of it. Preferably one where they try to check for abrasion on the paint after use. But once my Bilt Hamber clay (amazing) runs out, I'll be looking into getting a synthetic one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=197_Hu3c22I

Probably this one.
Got one from them, seems to work fine though I don't have much experience with regular clay in the first place. It did get visibly dirty though and it's not coming off, not sure if that's just how it is or if it's already hosed.

Other than that, detailing definitely is a pain in the rear end but I did manage to get some pretty bad scratches and door dings either completely out or minimize their visibility. Although it seems that Dodo's medium cut polish can't fully take out 2000 grit scratches from wet sanding (or I'm just doing it wrong).

The are still some dents left from door hits though, has anyone tried DIY paintless dent removal? Does it require special glue sticks or do the regular ones work ok? I can get the little pulling tool off ebay and already have the gun and sticks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

My lovely $20 home depot orbital buffer finally died so I sucked it up and got a 6" Griots. Now to find all the things I can waste money on to make my car shinier.

:homebrew:

So while lovely, how well did it work out? Did it help somewhat with cleaning up spirals? My brother keeps insisting he has a good orbital but he just needs to get it from his mom and its taken a long time, so I figure I can throw 20 bucks at a burner orbital to start learning how to buff and polish until I can get a free, proper orbital..

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Leal posted:

So while lovely, how well did it work out? Did it help somewhat with cleaning up spirals? My brother keeps insisting he has a good orbital but he just needs to get it from his mom and its taken a long time, so I figure I can throw 20 bucks at a burner orbital to start learning how to buff and polish until I can get a free, proper orbital..

Cheap orbitals work, but one of the problems is usually their pad compounds that can be pretty crappy, in general, but still viable depending on the products you use them with.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Leal posted:

It was good for buffing off wax. Bout it.

Just spend the $$$ for a good orbital.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
The Rag Company held another event today at the shop. I’m going to need to stop going, it’s getting expensive.

Really cool to meet with Dylan and learn about what goes into their DA’s and everything else they are coming out with.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...CNJLYWMEIITSA7W

going to give me better results than using two buckets by hand?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I got my Ammo Hydrate, but the sprayer is messed up which makes it a pain to use (have to unscrew the sprayer and just dump some onto a cloth). Seemed like it may help in drying the car off, but I'm not sure it's worth $25.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I supported Larry with his Black Friday sale since I’ve learned so much from his videos. While everything I got is great, the cost/value for some stuff is too high for me to reorder.

I’m sure if you emailed him about the sprayer he’d get you a replacement quick.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...CNJLYWMEIITSA7W

going to give me better results than using two buckets by hand?

The foam sprayers don't replace the two bucket method, you use them in addition or at the same time as the two buckets. At least that's the way I've been doing it forever. Spray with foam first then let it sit for a few minutes while I fill up my buckets with soap/water. While it's sitting there soaking it starts getting all the dirt/grime/bird poop/etc loose and lifted up off the surface. That way when you come through with your soapy wash mitt ideally you're just wiping everything right off instead of rubbing it around grinding it into your paint.

At least that's what I've been told. In all actuality I mostly do it because it looks cool and smells good when you spray that foam all over everything.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

100% Dundee posted:

The foam sprayers don't replace the two bucket method, you use them in addition or at the same time as the two buckets. At least that's the way I've been doing it forever. Spray with foam first then let it sit for a few minutes while I fill up my buckets with soap/water. While it's sitting there soaking it starts getting all the dirt/grime/bird poop/etc loose and lifted up off the surface. That way when you come through with your soapy wash mitt ideally you're just wiping everything right off instead of rubbing it around grinding it into your paint.

At least that's what I've been told. In all actuality I mostly do it because it looks cool and smells good when you spray that foam all over everything.

Are the garden hose versions worth getting at all, or do I need a pressure washer?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Residency Evil posted:

Are the garden hose versions worth getting at all, or do I need a pressure washer?

I've got a Chemical Guys foam sprayer and it works great with a garden hose.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I'm using a foam sprayer with a garden hose instead of a soap bucket. Very convenient and gets the soap distributed evenly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seminal Flu posted:

I've got a Chemical Guys foam sprayer and it works great with a garden hose.

this one looks to be the same design as the Gilmour one posted a few posts up, same price on amazon too for either one.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What's a good headlight polish kit to use these days? I've used the 3M one that attaches to a drill before, and quite liked it but can't remember exactly what it was called - plus it's no longer on the shelf at the store. My preference is for a kit that attaches to my drill as I'm lazy.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I used a clay towel on an old (1990) white car, and the towel came away white. Does that mean it has single stage paint?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Grakkus posted:

I used a clay towel on an old (1990) white car, and the towel came away white. Does that mean it has single stage paint?

Ayup.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm practicing on my old 2005 ford falcon ute because it's a basket-case anyway. I've already had to respray the roof, drivers door and front guard due to a factory paint error where it doesn't bond with the primer and is likely to peel off. I didn't have enough time or paint to paint the bonnet, but I may do it one day, but anyway for now I'm just practicing on it with a grinder style non orbital/non random buffer and cheap wool and foam pads. Meguires ultimate compound, polish and quick detailing wax.

Before- after a wash and clay bar

After compound, polish and wax

It was hard to show faults in daylight so I went out at night with a flash

I guess the big mark of clear coat failure can't be helped, as well as the paint failing(E: though I think the specks of fail in the last photo was made worse during compounding with the buffer),
But is there anything I can do about the spots in the problem area? I'm guessing they are clear coat fail too because 2 attempts with ultimate compound didn't fix anything. So much orange peel though maybe it's worth wetsanding and going over and over again next time I'm bored. It's just practice for good cars anyway.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
We have a bunch of cherry trees in the parking lot at my work and my car gets a good coating of sap while parked. Is there any treatment that can mitigate this somewhat? Like with ceramic coating, would I be able to just spray it off with a hose?